Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Yet another huge fan of 1943. I played 1942 a bit more, but I loved them both as a kid. Good stuff.

I was digging through my catalog of old games the other day. A hard game that I would love to see LP'd in this thread stared me in the face: Milon's Secret Castle. I played the hell out of it when I was a kid but I could never beat it, mostly because the game approaches Mighty Bomb Jack levels of bullshit. I would love to see someone LP it because it is one of the hardest platform/adventure type games of the era, and it is goofy as hell. I would volunteer to do it, but I probably can't finish the game and I don't have the capture stuff set up to make LPs. Is anyone out there man enough to put on the ol' pom pom hat and shoot bubbles for a weapon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15

Railing Kill posted:

I would volunteer to do it, but I probably can't finish the game and I don't have the capture stuff set up to make LPs.

For a NES game?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Dectilon posted:

For a NES game?

The two NES emulators that I have (NEStopia and RockNES) only seem to have a record audio function. I couldn't find much in the TSF, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot for it.

Edit: Wikipedia has this to say about the Battle of Midway. Of particular note, the torpedo bombers found the IJN before the scouts and fighters, but attacked anyway, despite not having the covering fire that they needed. WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU, GAMMATRON!?

azren fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 21, 2013

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
I'm pretty sure nestopia can record.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I....don't have a mic. :( I could do subtitles, I suppose, but I'm also pretty bad at the game. I might give it a shot if the opportunity presents itself in the next few weeks.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Dectilon posted:

I'm pretty sure nestopia can record.

Mine only seems to have audio recording.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

I....don't have a mic. :( I could do subtitles, I suppose, but I'm also pretty bad at the game. I might give it a shot if the opportunity presents itself in the next few weeks.

This is the hard games thread! Get your practice on, son! :getin:

azren posted:

Mine only seems to have audio recording.

A friend of mine is a mac-user, and he definitely recorded some NES games using it a long time ago. Granted, he also complained a lot about it being hard to set up.

Phiggle
Apr 26, 2007

And so, having defeated the nefarious Psy-Crow, our hero, Earthworm Jim, wins back the heart of the lovely COW
For NES, I think FCEUX is really good. It has an AVI recording option as well as a keystroke recording option. Usually I'll record keystrokes first, then play them back in the emulator with AVI recording turned on to get a video.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Dectilon posted:

This is the hard games thread! Get your practice on, son! :getin:

I'll figure out a capture option and see what I can do. It is difficult to describe how awful Milon's Secret Castle is, yet I am always drawn back to it. I don't know if I just need to beat the game to get closure, or if it's a case of Stockholm Syndrome. The game does have a nostalgic appeal to me, in spite of it being terrible and mean to children.

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

Phiggle posted:

For NES, I think FCEUX is really good. It has an AVI recording option as well as a keystroke recording option. Usually I'll record keystrokes first, then play them back in the emulator with AVI recording turned on to get a video.

Thanks for the info. Once I am done with N+ I may hop over and do Blaster Master. It's one of those games I played growing up but I never beat. Time to get that practice in

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

I'll figure out a capture option and see what I can do. It is difficult to describe how awful Milon's Secret Castle is, yet I am always drawn back to it. I don't know if I just need to beat the game to get closure, or if it's a case of Stockholm Syndrome. The game does have a nostalgic appeal to me, in spite of it being terrible and mean to children.

I haven't played it, but I did watch that one episode of GCCX featuring it, and it does seem to have some elements in common with mighty bomb jack. Like having to find hideously obscure items.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Would a (very) heavily edited set of videos of a game done with several self inflicted gameplay conditions be in the spirit of this thread? I've got something planned, and actually about halfway recorded but I don't think I've seen very many videos done with challenges.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dectilon posted:

I haven't played it, but I did watch that one episode of GCCX featuring it, and it does seem to have some elements in common with mighty bomb jack. Like having to find hideously obscure items.

It's not quite that obtuse, but trying to work out where to go next can be frustrating as hell. The Metroidian elements of the game are oddly forgotten about by people.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Would a (very) heavily edited set of videos of a game done with several self inflicted gameplay conditions be in the spirit of this thread? I've got something planned, and actually about halfway recorded but I don't think I've seen very many videos done with challenges.

Hmm... Well, I'm not sure honestly. I think I'd like to keep it focused on innately difficult games. But hey, I don't think there's been a challenge thread around for a while. Maybe it's time to start a new one? ;)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The game is definitely innately difficult. I've just played it multiple times on the hardest difficulty and the challenges would keep it interesting, I think. Your call either way, although a challenge thread would be fun.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

Railing Kill posted:

Yet another huge fan of 1943. I played 1942 a bit more, but I loved them both as a kid. Good stuff.

I was digging through my catalog of old games the other day. A hard game that I would love to see LP'd in this thread stared me in the face: Milon's Secret Castle. I played the hell out of it when I was a kid but I could never beat it, mostly because the game approaches Mighty Bomb Jack levels of bullshit. I would love to see someone LP it because it is one of the hardest platform/adventure type games of the era, and it is goofy as hell. I would volunteer to do it, but I probably can't finish the game and I don't have the capture stuff set up to make LPs. Is anyone out there man enough to put on the ol' pom pom hat and shoot bubbles for a weapon?

God drat, I would love to see someone play that, My mom used to be really good at it. I never was.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Just to chime in. I'd follow the hell out of a challenge thread. I love the threads with a ton of weird LPs in them. Challenge runs of games I've seen before are great to watch as well. Take it for a given people know the basics of any given game and just gab over the top of it while showing off your Sweet Moves(tm).

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

If you have archives I definitely recommend checking the old Emasculation Station thread. I don't know how many videos in it are still alive, but there was a lot of impressive bullshit going on in there.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Dectilon posted:

If you have archives I definitely recommend checking the old Emasculation Station thread. I don't know how many videos in it are still alive, but there was a lot of impressive bullshit going on in there.

I got archives but no search function. You have a link or a rough estimate to when the thread died? I could find it by date.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Evil Eagle posted:

If it's inherently a hard game, I'd definitely be interested. "Heavily edited" sounds promising...

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

Agent355 posted:

I got archives but no search function. You have a link or a rough estimate to when the thread died? I could find it by date.

Here you go

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Much appreciated.

Tomapella
Aug 18, 2007

It's only fair to tell you,
I'm absolutely cuckoo.
And here you are, the final video of Let's Play Metal Storm! At the beginning of the video are the translated cutscenes from the Japanese release of the game in which we get some backstory and are told that we are the only ones who can stop humanity from destroying itself. Woohoo, no better way to end a fun arcade game than a good dose of Engrish social conscience! The translation of the text was released by SliverX and can be downloaded here if you're interested in playing it yourself.

Part 9 - Finale + Extras - YouTube

Thanks to everybody who watched, this was my first LP and it's been a good time.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.

Tomapella posted:

And here you are, the final video of Let's Play Metal Storm! At the beginning of the video are the translated cutscenes from the Japanese release of the game in which we get some backstory and are told that we are the only ones who can stop humanity from destroying itself. Woohoo, no better way to end a fun arcade game than a good dose of Engrish social conscience! The translation of the text was released by SliverX and can be downloaded here if you're interested in playing it yourself.

Thanks to everybody who watched, this was my first LP and it's been a good time.

If the info I've seen is accurate, the cutscenes weren't "taken out" for the North American release -- it was released in the US first, in February 1991, in a somewhat incomplete state, and then a more polished version was released in April 1992 in Japan. Highly unusual for a Japanese-developed game.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Tomapella posted:

Aw I got a shoutout. :unsmith: You now hang tough with the best NES players of them all! Thanks for the run.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Not the most exciting part of the game--next one will be better.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

thevoiceofdog posted:

Not the most exciting part of the game--next one will be better.

I was afraid you were going to miss the Big Apple. It's humorous, but nothing happens.

If you want to know the name of Po's poem, you can replay almost the entirety of chapter 3 in Review Mode from the main menu. For some reason, in Review Mode, Po has an additional line. I've never found a way to input it into the game in chapter 6, though, and I don't believe the name Po gives you fits the blanks anyway.

Finally, you missed a Big Heart in the "maze" section - you either take the first path upward, which you did, and skip the maze entirely, or you take the longest path around the maze and get to the staircase. There's nothing inside the maze itself at all.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Now why would I ever need another heart container?

Oh, right. This level.

(just didn't wanna have a 40min video so I split it up, enjoy)

Gammatron
May 19, 2009

azren posted:

The two NES emulators that I have (NEStopia and RockNES) only seem to have a record audio function. I couldn't find much in the TSF, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot for it.

Edit: Wikipedia has this to say about the Battle of Midway. Of particular note, the torpedo bombers found the IJN before the scouts and fighters, but attacked anyway, despite not having the covering fire that they needed. WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU, GAMMATRON!?

You can use Camtasia or other screen recording software to capture the video. There are better programs out there, but Camtasia was the first to pop into my head. Fraps can also record from emus like NEStopia if I remember correctly.

Oh, and I was there. How do you think we won?

Tomapella
Aug 18, 2007

I'm absolutely cuckoo.

azren posted:

FCEUX is what I used to capture the video for Metal Storm. It's really nice for recording purposes, if you want to be able to record multiple takes without necessarily doing the whole thing live.

Acrylic Squirrel
Apr 7, 2007

thevoiceofdog posted:

Now why would I ever need another heart container?

Oh, right. This level.

(just didn't wanna have a 40min video so I split it up, enjoy)

I'm enjoying this LP, thank you for doing it. I forgot all about this game! I played it a lot as a child, I kept getting stuck at the ghost maze though. It's great to finally see the rest of the game.

Tsym
Dec 30, 2012

Bruceski posted:

It should be noted that those are bonus, and if my memory serves getting 5 or so POWs is also a level-up.
Ah I didn't realize that. Even still, it's still somewhat annoying to know that there are power ups for your plane, but you have to memorize where they are. It doesn't seem too bad with the spread shot though.

Dectilon posted:

I meant at the boss. I'm really terrible at them, but I've played a few touhou-games and crossing bullets coming from the side always get me even if it's a much looser, slower pattern than most. Like this one.
I'm actually fairly terrible at that pattern in the video too. For the most part, patterns like the one in the video will generally rely on "eye memory" to a certain extent. It's not memorization per say, but you need to know where to look and what information to take in to ensure that you'll get through the pattern safely. If the bullets move in a regular pattern, it's also important to figure out how they move as well. The bullets in the pattern shown in the video have a particularly obnoxious unfolding pattern that makes the bullets hard to read until they're right up in your face. For the most part, unless you have crazy good reflexes, figuring out where the least dense section of the pattern is based on experience is kind of the only way to do something like that. This is exactly what I lack for certain patterns of the final boss of Daioujou.

It's more or less how pattern recognition works in any game, but not as straightforward because of the sheer number of objects to keep in mind.

Tomapella posted:

And here you are, the final video of Let's Play Metal Storm!
Very nice work! To be honest, the stages in the second loop seemed much more intimidating than the bosses from my perspective. It seemed by the final video that, aside from the third boss, you really had a nice rhythm going with all of them and handled them fairly easily. The stages just seem so much harder by comparison because of their length and multiple tricky sections. How much time did the playthrough take (including practice and whatnot)?

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Tomapella posted:

Very impressive!

For those who haven't played the game it might not be obvious, but your hitbox is huge. Combined with the fact that a lot of attacks like the fourth boss' bouncing lasers are super-fast on expert, you really have to be moving already when they come out. Stopping at the wrong time or taking just one step too many in one direction can mean death against some enemies.

Dectilon fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 22, 2013

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

The original Japanese version of Super Mario Bros. 2 was a more of a "Mission Pack Sequel" rather than a true sequel to the first game. It was never released in the western world because it was considered to be too hard. However, it was eventually released in the US and Europe in Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES.

I am going to undergo the task of playing through this "retail romhack", with hopefully as little deaths as possible.

World 1 - featuring special guests Catsworth and FutureFriend

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Assuming I get this thing to work properly, are savestates frowned upon, or is it okay to do this 2007 style?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

azren posted:

Assuming I get this thing to work properly, are savestates frowned upon, or is it okay to do this 2007 style?

I would say generally that it's better if the use of savestates isn't obvious to the viewer. Probably the easiest way to do this is to use input recording (which overwrites itself every time you load state) and then later use the input recording to generate a video file.

Of course this doesn't work so well for live commentary.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

azren posted:

Yes.

Actually, let me specify. In between levels is fine, but no reloading mid-level bullshit. :mad:

Dectilon fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 22, 2013

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Phiggle posted:

Time to rescue the last crew member and enjoy a great level gimmick!

You heard this again:
Positive Force
Oh boy, the Tower was the first area I wandered into when I played the game, and it was a stressful ride. But the level design is really neat, especially stuff like that background arrow. And Positive Force is awesome (funny how you've saved up all the bits where it appears right until the end...).

And good ol' Sad Elephant.

Tomapella
Aug 18, 2007

I'm absolutely cuckoo.

Tsym posted:

Very nice work! To be honest, the stages in the second loop seemed much more intimidating than the bosses from my perspective. It seemed by the final video that, aside from the third boss, you really had a nice rhythm going with all of them and handled them fairly easily. The stages just seem so much harder by comparison because of their length and multiple tricky sections. How much time did the playthrough take (including practice and whatnot)?

I really don't know, I'm terrible at keeping track of these things, but I'd ballpark 10 hours or so. The bulk of that was spent on stages 2-4 of expert, though 5 had a couple of sticky spots, too. And yeah, compared to the levels, most of the bosses aren't too bad. The take of the second boss I used was, I think, my second attempt, and really only the fourth and final bosses took me much more than that. Even the transformer isn't too terrible (except for that double homing laser :argh:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Dectilon posted:

Yes.

Actually, let me specify. In between levels is fine, but no reloading mid-level bullshit. :mad:
:ssh: I used save states for MMDongs :ssh:

• Locked thread