Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harlock posted:

Diablo 3 on PS3. Looks like the equipment menu and all will use a radial menu probably with the left analog while you scroll through a list with the right.

Take any screenshots with a grain of salt. As someone who followed Diablo 3's development, religiously, what Blizzard showed and what ended up actually in the game, was completely different. Any features they talk about should be treated the same. Blizzard says so much poo poo and then changes their mind at the last minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

What was so bad about Diablo 3 anyways? I never played it but saw some gameplay footage somewhere with the screen absolutely full of enemies and it looked hilariously chaotic and fun. What did people hate about it so much?

For reference, I only played the original Diablo a little bit back when it originally released for PC and never touched Diablo 2.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MUFFlNS posted:

What was so bad about Diablo 3 anyways? I never played it but saw some gameplay footage somewhere with the screen absolutely full of enemies and it looked hilariously chaotic and fun. What did people hate about it so much?

For reference, I only played the original Diablo a little bit back when it originally released for PC and never touched Diablo 2.

My biggest problem with the game was that there was no sense of progression because, at least at the time (I haven't touched it since launch window), any loot you found would be ~10 levels lower than you. So you could effectively go to the AH, spend a pittance on on-level gear, and not have cause to care about a single drop you got for the next 10 levels worth of playtime.

I enjoyed my first playthrough, mind you. I couldn't be assed to continue beyond that.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
^^ Oh, well, that's lame.

MUFFlNS posted:

I'm curious too, as someone who adores Diablo 2 and played a lot of it and 1 [far more of 2, though].

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MUFFlNS posted:

The game is designed around the auction house, so good drops are both few and far between and something you usually can't use. So you get your gear from the auction house 99% of the time. There is very little carrot at the end of the string to make you go forward. The story is OK but it loses all atmosphere the previous games had to cackling chapter villains that taunt you all the time. This video pretty much sums up my problems with the game outside the auction house stuff. Oh and character growth is pretty much automatic. You never get to customize your stats outside of what loot you wear or the secondary effects of your spells outside of modifiers you get automatically at set levels. No skill trees or stat points, basically.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MUFFlNS posted:

There aren't enough of those moments where the mob density was really high. Game had no personal customization, the stats were dumbed down pretty significantly from Diablo 2, and the gear choices felt like a lite version of World of Warcraft's. All of the best stuff about Diablo 2 with the expansion pack, didn't make it into Diablo 3. So it didn't feel like a sequel that improved upon what made Diablo 2 so good, instead it was a big step backwards.

The Real Money Auction House meant that gear drops were based around that, making sure the market wasn't flooded with too many good items. With 11 million people playing Diablo 3, that meant good gear drops are extremely rare, forcing you to use the Auction House.

The storyline was also complete poo poo, it played out like a saturday morning cartoon. It's forced on you, tons of exposition, and everyone is a scooby doo character.

loved all of the CGI cinematics though

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

blackguy32 posted:

Both the originals could play the games. But the question is, at what point do you stop? The only reason that the PS3 could do it is because it used hardware components from the original systems. At this point, people want something that is able to play the PS4 games, PS3 games, PS2 games and Ps1 games.

At this point, Sony has a choice. Do they create multiple SKUs, including one with the cell processor shoved into the unit to support PS3 BC at an increased cost, or do they streamline their SKUs to keep the PS4 a streamlined and simplified system, as laid out in their conference? How important is playing PS3 games to the general consumer? Are we the vocal minority? Sony has until E3 to sort these answers out.

Personally, I am OK with keeping my PS3 plugged in for PS3 games, and using my PS4 for PS4 games, because my experiences have shown my how little I actually use backwards compatibility even though it's available to me (aside from PSX games).

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'd love to see an add-on that restores PS3 compatibility. I have no idea why people think that the Cell alone would be so expensive, since the number of parts that contribute to the cost of the PS3 is enormous. Removing the casing, Blu-ray drive, HDD, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, RAM, GPU, cooling, and all the licences for things like DVD playback, the Cell alone would be a small fraction of the current cost of the PS3.

Add in the fact that the Cell will still be manufactured for many years to come, I don't think I'd be unreasonable for an expansion device to be sold for around $80. The PS4 would require a special bay for it to fit in, and a way to keep it cool, though.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I would absolutely buy a little box that plugged into a PS4 that allowed for backwards compatibility, but only if it included PSN purchases as well. It's not like Sony hasn't already had that idea before. I think they are too all-in on this Gaikai stuff for that to happen here, though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Jamesman posted:

At this point, Sony has a choice. Do they create multiple SKUs, including one with the cell processor shoved into the unit to support PS3 BC at an increased cost, or do they streamline their SKUs to keep the PS4 a streamlined and simplified system, as laid out in their conference? How important is playing PS3 games to the general consumer? Are we the vocal minority? Sony has until E3 to sort these answers out.

Personally, I am OK with keeping my PS3 plugged in for PS3 games, and using my PS4 for PS4 games, because my experiences have shown my how little I actually use backwards compatibility even though it's available to me (aside from PSX games).

I honestly think we are the minority. The 360, PS3, and Wii all dumped backwards compatibility at some point in their lifespan. It is a nice feature, but there is nothing stopping people from just playing the PS3 early in the PS4's life until some good games come out for it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

Take any screenshots with a grain of salt. As someone who followed Diablo 3's development, religiously, what Blizzard showed and what ended up actually in the game, was completely different. Any features they talk about should be treated the same. Blizzard says so much poo poo and then changes their mind at the last minute.

At least Jay Wilson left, that gives me a bit more hope for this version.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ChetReckless posted:

I would absolutely buy a little box that plugged into a PS4 that allowed for backwards compatibility, but only if it included PSN purchases as well. It's not like Sony hasn't already had that idea before. I think they are too all-in on this Gaikai stuff for that to happen here, though.

I don't think the economy exists to support stuff like this anymore. But I agree, I'd love for something like that JVC box that literally had modules you could put in or out of it to play laser discs/Turbo Graphx games/Genesis games/whatever. Sega seriously considered doing something like this with Microsoft wherein you'd buy a small "Dreamcast Drive" that would replace your cd-rom/DVD and let you play Dreamcast games on your PC, though the easy piracy of the GD-ROM format killed that quick.

I don't even care THAT much about full game downloads, just the concept that Sony will say with a straight face that you have the same PSN account on both systems but stuff like, say, Wizorb can't carry over "because of the cell" is absurd.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

blackguy32 posted:

I honestly think we are the minority. The 360, PS3, and Wii all dumped backwards compatibility at some point in their lifespan. It is a nice feature, but there is nothing stopping people from just playing the PS3 early in the PS4's life until some good games come out for it.
Traditionally, though, we're also the early adopters - so features like that can matter, when establishing an install base.

I'm still expecting them to announce that the quote was in error, and that there will be a process to convert PSN libraries to streaming PS4 equivalents. Still not sure how they'll handle PS3 disc games, but PSN ownership conversion seems like an easy gimme to boost their numbers.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Shalinor posted:

I'm still expecting them to announce that the quote was in error, and that there will be a process to convert PSN libraries to streaming PS4 equivalents. Still not sure how they'll handle PS3 disc games, but PSN ownership conversion seems like an easy gimme to boost their numbers.

I think the reason they didn't say this is because absolutely every bit of their Gaikai part of the press conference is still very much up in the air. Absolutely everything was qualified with "we might be able to", "hopefully", and some serious qualifiers. It would be a bad, bad idea to promise people that their PSN purchased titles would be playable through the cloud only to then have Gaikai eventually find that PS3 compatibility through the cloud just doesn't scale or work as well as they'd hoped and all that gets dropped.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Backwards compatibility is just icing on the cake for me. An added bonus. Would it be nice to have it? Sure. Do I require the console to have it? Nope.

That's just the trouble with legacy software. When is the cut-off date for backwards compatibility? When the PlayStation 7 comes out, will people be having the same argument over not being able to play PlayStation 4 games?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't even care THAT much about full game downloads, just the concept that Sony will say with a straight face that you have the same PSN account on both systems but stuff like, say, Wizorb can't carry over "because of the cell" is absurd.
The version of Wizorb on PSN is coded and compiled to work on a PSP and only functions on the PS3 because of software emulation. Everything needs to be remade to work on a new system with new hardware and for some reason I can't see Sony wasting resources on getting, say, Calling All Cars or Hannah Montana working on a PS3, much less strongarming devs to do it themselves.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I'm glad I bought a PlayStation Vita for all those games you can't play on the ps4 I guess. :/

J
Jun 10, 2001

MUFFlNS posted:

A lot of the gripes people had about the game on launch have been fixed in the last couple of patches, including some of the ones already mentioned in this thread. It's not anywhere near as bad as the internet hyperbole will lead you to believe, and with Jay Wilson gone the game should be headed in a better direction in the future. By the time the console version comes out it should have a few more content patches as well.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah, I think I'm going to count myself amongst the people that won't purchase a PS4 until at least a year+ after launch, maybe even longer, especially if there's no way to support BC for PSN-purchased games.

Jet Ready Go posted:

I'm glad I bought a PlayStation Vita for all those games you can't play on the ps4 I guess. :/

This is also the problem that I have with purchasing content via digital distribution and why I haven't bought a Vita. If the publisher can't ensure that the media purchased through a proprietary network will be transferable across platforms or devices, there's no loving way I'm going to spend any serious money on that network. It's ludicrous that previous PSN purchases won't transfer over. I'm largely ok with Steam purchases because I know that the Steam games I buy will work on basically any Windows machine I choose to use at any point.

Meanwhile, a Master of Orion II disc purchased back in 1996 will still install and work on my Windows 7 machine with some very minor tweaks.

There's zero excuse for not including backwards compatibility, especially for PSN purchases of previous-gen games, as it's been rightly pointed out that even if you need to include the Cell processor in the units, it's a fraction of the total cost of the original PS3 unit. Give me a different SKU that includes the Cell and ability to play PSN/PS2/PS1 games at a higher pricepoint and I'm sold, otherwise Sony can go pound sand for at least the next few years.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 22, 2013

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You just gave the excuse in your post. Cell. Radically different architecture. If they threw one in the current box they'd have to put in a different power supply and worry about new heating problems then redesign everything to fit around that. From a business standpoint it just wouldn't be feasible. If they did that and raised the price they're back at the $599! stigma again. Master of Orion II works because Windows is an open platform where mods from the player base can allow the game to be played on modern computers. Not to mention that Windows computers have been using x86 since the word go.

It sucks and maybe they might have emulation for that sort of thing, but I suspect that you may want to keep around your PS3 if only to play digitally downloaded games.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

MUFFlNS posted:

Some small tidbits of random info that I think is cool.

-The PS4 will be bundled with a headset, compatible with the headset jack on the Dualshock 4.
-Developers will be able to self-publish games on the PSN (this is huge for indie developers and a great move by Sony).
-The Witcher 3 has now been confirmed for PS4.
-The PS4 won't block used games, nor will it require an internet connection.

I'm really excited to see what the launch lineup will be like. Sony has confirmed that Killzone 4 and Drive Club are launch games, and I think that Watch Dogs will be too? It will be interesting to see what other games are announced at E3, since if we see games such as Battlefield 4 announced as launch games for the next generation of consoles as well, I can see the next console generation starting with a bang as opposed to the slow start that the PS3/360 had.

Source for this?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RadicalR posted:

Source for this?

Headset is in the PDFs Sony released. Indie thing was said during the conference. The rest are on any gaming website of your choice.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

quakster posted:

The version of Wizorb on PSN is coded and compiled to work on a PSP and only functions on the PS3 because of software emulation. Everything needs to be remade to work on a new system with new hardware and for some reason I can't see Sony wasting resources on getting, say, Calling All Cars or Hannah Montana working on a PS3, much less strongarming devs to do it themselves.

Wizorb was made in XNA for XBLA, later ported to windows. Then ported to Mac and Linux using Monogame. Then PS minis. Oh, and ported to ios.

I really doubt making a ps4 version would be that big a deal.

Not to say your argument isn't true for most PSN games.

edit: who needs strongarming? Port your game -> make more money ...

dick traceroute fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 22, 2013

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Some deets on the PS4 Infamous game:

quote:

Infamous: Second Son is set seven years after Infamous 2, and in Seattle - a real-life location as opposed to Empire City, which was based on New York. It stars 24-year-old Delsin Rowe, who Sucker Punch paints as a self-described underachiever. Whereas previous protagonist Cole McGrath was all about electricity, Rowe's superpowers, at least initially, revolve around smoke. That may not sound as badass as electric powers at first, but the game's debut trailer showed a smoked Rowe can whip up plenty of havoc.

As for Fox's (melo)dramatic intro, that was designed to underline the paranoia and restricted freedoms of Second Son's world in the wake of the last game's cataclysmic events. As you might expect, the prohibitory forces in charge and new hero Rowe aren't exactly best mates.

On a final gameplay note, Sucker Punch suggested we could see the return of good/evil choices as per previous games: "As with all games in this series," said producer Brian Fleming, "the path the gameplay and story take will depend on the decisions you make along the way."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder how accurate they are going for replicating Seattle. Granted its set far into the future, so they have some creative license to work with.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
There's going to be some collectable item up on top the space needle of course

e. and I'mma laugh if they do like Binary Domain did with Tully's and have Starbucks OF THE FUTURE at random locations

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 22, 2013

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Code Jockey posted:

There's going to be some collectable item up on top the space needle of course

e. and I'mma laugh if they do like Binary Domain did with Tully's and have Starbucks OF THE FUTURE at random locations

It's going to be a single blast shard, and a bronze trophy.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

SpacePig posted:

It's going to be a single blast shard, and a bronze trophy.

Going to be worth it, just to do some sort of falling smash attack from the top. :black101:

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
HEADS UP: Some Playstation members are reported to be getting a free $10 voucher to the PSN Store in the inbox when you sign into PSN. There are some rumors it's random, and some that it's mainly for "long time users" or "PS+ members" so check it out.

I just got mine and I'm a PS+ member.

I know I saw this posted before but I can't find it to quote him so gently caress him.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Which are the dlc to get on Asura Wrath?»

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jet Ready Go posted:

HEADS UP: Some Playstation members are reported to be getting a free $10 voucher to the PSN Store in the inbox when you sign into PSN. There are some rumors it's random, and some that it's mainly for "long time users" or "PS+ members" so check it out.

I just got mine and I'm a PS+ member.

I know I saw this posted before but I can't find it to quote him so gently caress him.

Why don't you post who won World War 2 while you're at it?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Honest Thief posted:

Get the one that's the epilogue or whatever. Everything else is meh, unless you REALLY want to fight Street Fighter dudes.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

ME3 on PSN+ next month.

Sleeping Dogs this month, ME3 and DoA5 next, this is crazy value.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 22, 2013

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Funso Banjo posted:

ME3 on PSN+ next month.

Just to clarify, that's Europe's PSN+. The free games are different in each region.

Europe's PSN+ free games have tended to be better than what's offered in the US, from what I've seen of those listings.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Honest Thief posted:

Epilogue. That's the one that's really worth it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

thefncrow posted:

Just to clarify, that's Europe's PSN+. The free games are different in each region.

Europe's PSN+ free games have tended to be better than what's offered in the US, from what I've seen of those listings.

Only recently. Europe used to suck, but they pulled ahead.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I wonder if ME3 will come with the multiplayer active, or if you will have to pay separately to unlock it.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Lately I've been playing a lot of Okami HD, last having played it on its PS2 release, and holy crap this game is still as amazing as I remembered it being. Even more so I suppose, with the HD update and improved loading times.

The first hour and a half of incessant, unskippable gibberish text is still there unfortunately, and again not having a quick way to feed the unending menagerie of animals you come across is a drag, but it's such a superb game that it's hard to fault it much.

The best part is that if a particular npc or animal annoys you, you can just utterly screw with it using your powers. Clover really spent a tremendous amount of time and effort animating their reactions:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Honest Thief posted:

The epilogue definitely but if you're a Street Fighter fan the Ryu and Akuma DLCs are pretty funny and I think they're some of the best fights in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Funso Banjo posted:

ME3 on PSN+ next month.

Holy poo poo I just checked and yeah, we're getting Mass Effect 3, Dead or Alive 5, Joe Danger 2, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and Puddle in March.

I loving love this service :swoon:

• Locked thread