Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you aren't worrying about insanely vaguely small chances of something going wrong then you aren't really brewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

withak posted:

If you aren't worrying about insanely vaguely small chances of something going wrong then you aren't really brewing.

Not giving a poo poo about anything at all is also an equally valid approach.

But there's definitely no middle-ground.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I definitely take the worrying, obsessive approach :v:

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

fullroundaction posted:

I brew with ginger a lot and this is right on.

Adding even a little amount to the early boil is going to turn whatever beer your drinking into a single-note ginger beer, and probably not in the way you want (all of the heat but none of the character). Dryhopping with it keeps all of the sweetness and the spice up front and let's the beer behind it come through, instead of the other way around.

Don't not stop posting about ginger...

I've got my own question about it. A chef buddy once said I should use ginger shoots (available in spring only basically) which have a more delicate and less 'burn', my local farmer's market has them during that time. Do I use more or less? I'd like to revisit the "Vagabond Ginger Ale" recipe in Papazian's book I brewed two years ago.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Hypnolobster posted:

Those bungs always get stuck in the neck because they don't stay whenever they're wet. Most annoying part of better bottles by a long shot.
I use the plastic bungs with a lip on them and haven't ever had one get stuck or fall in yet. The sides have a more gentle slope to them so they stay in pretty well if you give em a push. I have had them pop out if you just push them in just enough for them to sit inside the neck though. I have a gum #10 bung and that think was a pain in the butt, you really had to wedge it in if there was any moisture at all on it.

I've also used the non-drilled version and due to my own not thinking it through and had them get sucked in tight as a drum during cold crashing to the point the better bottles were all deformed and mushed. Thanks to the lip on the plastic bung it didn't get pulled all the way in, and a simple grip on it was enough to release the vacuum and remove it easily. A++ would buy again. In fact I need another one because I have 4 fermenters now, as I have a drinking problem.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

My experience with better bottles and the lipped bung have been exactly the same right down to undrilled stopper and deformed bottle. If you're using a stopper other than that lipped style then there's your problem. Buy the right stopper.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I gave up on bungs and made my own blow off tube size stoppers out of delrin on the lathe at work :v:

Two oring grooves and a barb that fits 1" tubing

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

That's brilliant and I'm totally stealing the idea.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Huh, so attachments in the android awful app don't really work, trying to post a third time.

Crisis averted. I could only find a lovely corkscrew yesterday, and had to bring a swiss army knife from the office to pull it out. Yes, I hastily cut it with the sanitized Leatherman and still couldn't get it out. Oh well, got the decent bung in there now.

Oh yeah, hypnolobster, I may be stealing that idea pretty soon

Wow, sorry about the huge image, fixed it. Imgur's mobile site doesn't have thumbnail options anywhere I could find.

Mistaken For Bacon fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 22, 2013

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Jacobey000 posted:

ginger shoots

I don't have any experience with these, but I sure am going to keep an eye out for them in season. I live in semi-rural SC so the only time I have access to things other than lovely Food Lion ginger roots is when I take a trek up to Whole Foods about 2 hours north :(. Please give us a trip report when you experiment with them!

---

My own question: I'm bottling my Gose this weekend (about 6 months in primary, just reached the perfect sour/saltiness) and I want to make sure it actually carbonates. Do I have anything to worry about as far as there being enough yeast in suspension? Should I give it a big swirl a couple days before or just proceed as normal? This beer is kind of my special snowflake and first long-term fermentation so I'm super paranoid.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Garanimals4Seniors posted:

GIANT loving IMAGE

Ow! Resize that poo poo, your using imgur even - they have that option right after you upload it. This is the second one posted like this recently, this sort of thing is kind of inexcusable at this point.

e: I may have gone a bit off the deep-end on my side, but thanks for the info on the mobile side.

fullroundaction posted:

I don't have any experience with these, but I sure am going to keep an eye out for them in season. I live in semi-rural SC so the only time I have access to things other than lovely Food Lion ginger roots is when I take a trek up to Whole Foods about 2 hours north :(. Please give us a trip report when you experiment with them!

---

My own question: I'm bottling my Gose this weekend (about 6 months in primary, just reached the perfect sour/saltiness) and I want to make sure it actually carbonates. Do I have anything to worry about as far as there being enough yeast in suspension? Should I give it a big swirl a couple days before or just proceed as normal? This beer is kind of my special snowflake and first long-term fermentation so I'm super paranoid.

Will do on the shoots. 6 months isn't that long, but if you are paranoid about it, you can dose it with some yeast (05 or t-58) when bottling.

Jacobey000 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 22, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

fullroundaction posted:

Even if you cold crash for a week, which essentially drops most of the yeast out of suspension, you're still going to have more than enough to carbonate. Don't worry about it.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Thanks for the reassurances. Is there any general time-frame where you really SHOULD be adding more yeast before bottling (for really old barley wines or whatever)? Did a little Googling and there seems to be a lot of opinions out there :words:

Doing my first no-boil BW this weekend to sit on top of the Gose cake. First time doing a decoction mash too. Definitely going to try to stay sober for this one.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
From what I understand there's always going to be enough yeast in suspension to carbonate no matter what. Even in a clear beer there's millions of yeast.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

Thanks for the reassurances. Is there any general time-frame where you really SHOULD be adding more yeast before bottling (for really old barley wines or whatever)? Did a little Googling and there seems to be a lot of opinions out there :words:

Doing my first no-boil BW this weekend to sit on top of the Gose cake. First time doing a decoction mash too. Definitely going to try to stay sober for this one.

I'd dose if it's been more than 6 months if it were me bottling, just because opening a bottle w/o a hiss would be heartbreaking. But that is just me. Midorka, I'm sure, is right.

Jacobey000 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 22, 2013

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its a sour, anything but heat or nuclear pasteurisation and you'll have yeast that will be able to carbonate. No guarantee on time it takes though.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
When doing a melomel, does the fruit need to be ripe (like peaches), or does that even matter?

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Well, I did my first decoction mash today, for a schwarzbier. A triple decoction, even. The process itself wasn't all that bad. Just a lot of idle stirring while listening to comedy podcasts. Hitting my temps did not go very smoothly, though. I followed the volumes recommended by beersmith but every rest ended up about 15 degrees cool. If I was smart I guess I would have had some water boiling on the stove to bring things up to temp with, but that didn't happen this time. I thought I managed to hit my pre-boil gravity at the end but forgot to account for temperature, it actually ended up hitting about ten points high. We'll see what happens when/if it finishes fermenting I guess. Maybe I ended up making a beer after all. Or maybe it's an unmitigated disaster! Can't wait to find out!

Next time I guess maybe I should pull more mash to be able to hit temps and also have some back-up water to heat with?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Midorka posted:

From what I understand there's always going to be enough yeast in suspension to carbonate no matter what. Even in a clear beer there's millions of yeast.

This is generally true but not universally so. A beer that's sat for a long time, or that has stressed the yeast significantly in some way (e.g. something that's 10%ABV or more), may sometimes take a very long time to carbonate, or may not at all. I've only ever had two scares with this: One was an imperial brown ale I brewed in my first year of homebrewing, which was not carbonated at all at the three week mark. Agitating the bottles and leaving them upside down got more yeast back in suspension and eventually carbonated the bottles properly. My second problem was just last year, with a 10%ABV imperial IPA. I did not reyeast, and the beer simply sat in the bottles completely flat for five weeks before I did anything. I ended up rehydrating some US-05, sanitizing a milliliter dropper, then reyeasting and recapping every bottle. The beer then carbonated wonderfully, but ended up noticeably oxidized. I have always reyeasted anything that's sat for more than a few months, which has never caused any issues for me.

So I'd say that reyeasting isn't commonly needed, but is good practice for any beer that's over 9%ABV, has sat for more than three months, or has had any other significant stresses (e.g. fractional freezing for an eisbock) on it. It's hardly any effort and the additional security is more than worth it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ubik posted:

So I'd say that reyeasting isn't commonly needed, but is good practice for any beer that's over 9%ABV, has sat for more than three months, or has had any other significant stresses (e.g. fractional freezing for an eisbock) on it. It's hardly any effort and the additional security is more than worth it.

I'd go with this, too. I reyeasted my sour porter that aged for ~1 year and was, like FRA said, my baby. The $3 packet of dry yeast and 30 minutes to rehydrate it were totally worth the peace of mind. Maybe there's a little extra sediment in the bottom, but who cares :dealwithit:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Who Dat posted:

When doing a melomel, does the fruit need to be ripe (like peaches), or does that even matter?

Ripe is good. A little over ripe can be even better. Just think about how much better the really dark soft strawberries taste compare to the regular ones. Rotten is different though. You don't want rotten. So ripe is good, the edge of ripeness (starring Mel Gibson) is better.

But using fruit that's not ripe wont necessarily hurt but you'll get less juicy flavor and maybe some different flavors.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Docjowles posted:

I'd go with this, too. I reyeasted my sour porter that aged for ~1 year and was, like FRA said, my baby. The $3 packet of dry yeast and 30 minutes to rehydrate it were totally worth the peace of mind. Maybe there's a little extra sediment in the bottom, but who cares :dealwithit:

If that happened to be what you sent me for the SASS homebrew swap, I will completely concur. That stuff was drat delicious, don't change a thing.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

So when re-yeasting would you simply pitch a packet into the primary, wait a day, cold crash then bottle?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
It seems kind of counterintuitive to pitch yeast and then cold crash to get everything to drop out. Whenever I've done it I just add it to the bottling bucket and gently stir it in.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I guess it does, but I like clear beers, or at least not a huge mess of yeast at the bottom of each bottle. I guess it's superficial but presentation matters to me.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
One packet of yeast in five gallons will make a pretty small amount of sediment in each of 50 bottles. It's not like you're going to get a big 1" yeast cake or something.

11.5g of yeast / 50 bottles ~= 1/4 gram per bottle.

So yeah, it's some, but it's not a lot. And the conditions under which it makes sense to do this mean that all the other sediment has fallen out of suspension already. With careful upright storage and a smooth pour, I think you'll still get clear beer in your glass.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
This is pretty neat - its a crossover between the commercial and homebrew topics, but probably more interesting to homebrew types:

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Midorka posted:

I guess it does, but I like clear beers, or at least not a huge mess of yeast at the bottom of each bottle. I guess it's superficial but presentation matters to me.

I meant it seems silly to add yeast so your bottles will carbonate, and then cold crash to try to get the yeast you just added out of suspension.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
Yea or nay on secondary for cacao nibs?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Yea or nay on secondary for cacao nibs?

Everything I've read on the matter pretty much says that chocolate malt is the best, easiest way to add chocolate flavor. Everything else is hardly noticeable.

Having tried both Baker's chocolate in the secondary and chocolate malt, I have to say the malt was more noticeable. I can't imagine the nibs being a lot better than Baker's chocolate, but then again, I've never felt like getting some to try either.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I've always found chocolate malt to not be very chocolaty except in color. I find I always get more of a light coffee flavor. The only time I used actual chocolate was a Hershey bar in a one gallon experiment...make sure whatever cocoa you use doesn't have too much fat/oil. Bleh that was gross.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Josh Wow posted:

I meant it seems silly to add yeast so your bottles will carbonate, and then cold crash to try to get the yeast you just added out of suspension.

Well in the case of older beers isn't it possible that there wouldn't be enough yeast in suspension to carbonate? I was thinking that by adding yeast a certain amount would stay in suspension even after cold crashing. I mean, I cold crash my beers and there is always enough yeast to carbonate.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Has anyone ever used sugar cubes for priming? I was just reading a couple of forums that suggested using two sugar cubes for a 22 oz bottle.

I'm bottling just two or three 22oz's from a keg, so I'm not adding sugar straight into the fermentor. Any reason not to do it this way? The beer is a Munich Helles done with an ale yeast if that changes anything.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If you're bottling from a keg, you shouldn't need to prime the bottles. Carb your keg of beer as usual. Put your bottling gear and bottles in the fridge or freezer for an hour or two before you bottle, and then bottle it and cap. If you want, you can give the filled bottle a good rap on the counter to knock just enough CO2 out prior to capping to get some foam to cap on if you're going to be storing the bottles for a while. The process doesn't cause anywhere near a significant amount of CO2 to be lost. If you think it is, just over-carb the keg a little bit temporarily.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

If you're bottling from a keg, you shouldn't need to prime the bottles. Carb your keg of beer as usual. Put your bottling gear and bottles in the fridge or freezer for an hour or two before you bottle, and then bottle it and cap. If you want, you can give the filled bottle a good rap on the counter to knock just enough CO2 out prior to capping to get some foam to cap on if you're going to be storing the bottles for a while. The process doesn't cause anywhere near a significant amount of CO2 to be lost.

Forgot to mention, keg isn't carbed yet. I wanted to prime these in the bottle, I've done bottling from a primed keg before.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So carb the keg. :)

I mean really: if you're planning on waiting for the bottles to prime, why not just wait for the keg to carb and do it the more controlled and proven way?

e: You asked if there's any reason NOT to do it that way, and yeah, there are a number I can think of, the main being that you really don't know what you're going to get priming-wise. And if you're only doing three bottles, you don't have a lot of wiggle room as far as over-carbing or under-carbing bottles. You can do them all the same, and maybe all three will be over carbed or under carbed. You can do them all a little different, and maybe get one successful one. Instead, just do it the normal way, and get three successful bottles.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 23, 2013

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Angry Grimace posted:

This is pretty neat - its a crossover between the commercial and homebrew topics, but probably more interesting to homebrew types:

This is pretty cool ... but why a 13 gallon batch? Are there that many homebrewers doing full 15 gallon boils and using 50L kegs?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

fullroundaction posted:

This is pretty cool ... but why a 13 gallon batch? Are there that many homebrewers doing full 15 gallon boils and using 50L kegs?

I think it just happened to be the batch size Colby uses at home and they didn't want to scale it for whatever reason.

The weirder part is the 12 oz. dry hop :eek:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 23, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Whoa, 20 minute mash? What's up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

bewbies posted:

Has anyone ever used sugar cubes for priming? I was just reading a couple of forums that suggested using two sugar cubes for a 22 oz bottle.

I'm bottling just two or three 22oz's from a keg, so I'm not adding sugar straight into the fermentor. Any reason not to do it this way? The beer is a Munich Helles done with an ale yeast if that changes anything.

Carb drops and sugar cubes are pretty notorious for causing infections and being hilariously inaccurate.

You should probably just carb the keg, which will take about 2 weeks and then bottle some, vs bottling a few which will take 2 or 3 weeks to carb anyway.

If you're determined, my personal path would be to take the total volume of beer, divide it out into bottles and take the total volume of sugar solution made properly and figure out how much should end up in each bottle. Make some on the stove, use a disposable pipette or something else that you can measure with accurately in the mL range and dose each bottle.

random example, because I don't know what temperature or volumes you have:
5 gallons in 22oz bottles = 29
2.5 volumes desired in 5 gallons @ 40 degrees = 75.2 grams of cane sugar
75.2 / 29 = 2.6 grams per bottle of cane sugar to hit 2.5 volumes of co2

If you're bottling three, I'd make up a solution of sugar and boiled water at a concentration where a given volume (a couple mL's) will give you 2.5 grams of sugar in solution and dose each bottle.

Or just go the easier route and throw 2.6 grams of sugar into each bottle.