Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

I really want to believe that it was all part of the plan, and not happenstance, that puppet Yoda's advice to Luke is reasonably in conflict with CGI Yoda.

Part of the plan, happenstance, it checks out either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
One of the neat things I like about the prequels is that it shows the Yoda in the OT to be a complete and utter failure and training Luke becomes his redemption. Still, I would prefer that Yoda's characterisation in the prequels was done properly.

When I think of Yoda I think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLqeILU5fmU

Not this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viL_jnEBjc0

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I prefer to think of Yoda as a goofy swamp-dwelling prankster gremlin, not as THE WISEST OF THE JEDI COUNCIL OF THE BEAUTIFUL SKY METROPOLIS OF CORINTH!! or wherever the gently caress the galaxy senate was.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Gyges posted:

I really want to believe that it was all part of the plan, and not happenstance, that puppet Yoda's advice to Luke is reasonably in conflict with CGI Yoda.

...but that actually makes sense, though. Puppet Yoda realizes that CGI Yoda hosed up bad and advises Luke to not do that, because he knows from experience that it'll go badly.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

scary ghost dog posted:

I prefer to think of Yoda as a goofy swamp-dwelling prankster gremlin, not as THE WISEST OF THE JEDI COUNCIL OF THE BEAUTIFUL SKY METROPOLIS OF CORINTH!! or wherever the gently caress the galaxy senate was.

Also as a creature shriveled and shrunken with age rather than belonging to race that just always looks like that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also as a creature shriveled and shrunken with age rather than belonging to race that just always looks like that.

850 isn't that far off from 900 years.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

scary ghost dog posted:

The films might actually agree with this. They portray the Council as becoming increasingly out of touch with the force and blind to things, while Qui-Gon (who's main trait is disagreeing with the Council) learns how to become one with the force and speak from beyond the grave. His very first line in Phantom Menace is actually about this, as are Yoda's last words in Revenge, it's just overshadowed by stuff like hundreds of Jedi fighting dinosaurs and robot armies.

It could have been conveyed a lot better, but I think the general point is that the Jedi, while unquestionably the good guys, aren't quite "doing it right", and partly because they've stagnated for so long with no Sith to balance them.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

computer parts posted:

850 isn't that far off from 900 years.

In the prequels, there is another...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Darko posted:

So when they go bald they also lose their second forehead? That's a lot of cranium to lose.

Edit: And of course this character that I don't even remember seeing has a 5,000 word entry on Wookieepedia.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darko posted:

She's also supposed to be like 500, and that looks decent for a middle aged...whatever (not in the Gonzo sense).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Perhaps Episode 7 will finally tell us what race they are.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Joe Don Baker posted:

Perhaps Episode 7 will finally tell us what race they are.

Does it matter?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The identity of Yoda is central to the narrative of Ep 7. It's revealed at the end he's a midichlorian engorged by exposure to trade blockades.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spaceman Future! posted:

Does it matter?

There's a lot of fan fiction yet to be written that requires this information.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Spaceman Future! posted:

Does it matter?

Don't worry, it'll be written on a hologram in the background and you'll have to stop the film at the precise frame, which will then have to be blown up 300% to make it barely legible. No sane person will notice it, but by the time you get home from the first matinee showing it will have a 10,000 word entry on Wookieepedia and be hyperlinked to in every Wookieepedia page that in anyway even hints at mentioning Yoda.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Wank posted:

One of the neat things I like about the prequels is that it shows the Yoda in the OT to be a complete and utter failure and training Luke becomes his redemption. Still, I would prefer that Yoda's characterisation in the prequels was done properly.

When I think of Yoda I think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLqeILU5fmU

Not this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viL_jnEBjc0

Disturbingly, this has become the dominant portrayal of Yoda in my mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1iTwTdHx7I&feature=youtu.be&t=4m13s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1iTwTdHx7I&feature=youtu.be&t=5m55s

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gyges posted:

Who the man? Yoda man.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yoda man? Yoda da man.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Stupid Star Wars Commericials are one of my favorite things.

YODA MAN!

YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THE CELEBRATION, QUI-GON!

I hope Disney keeps up that trend.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, uh, a KOTOR movie could be happening..

Feka
Jan 21, 2013

No soup for you!
It would be quite confusing for the mainstream audience to have KOTOR films happening between Ep. 7-9. Two different timelines "at the same time" is hard to explain to the average not-scifi guy that's bringin in the big bucks at the box office.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Maybe episode 7 is about time travel.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Speaking of Yoda, where did the "Jedi Masters don't use lightsabers", with corresponding nerd rage, come from?

I liked Yoda fighting.

(Unrelated, what's the domain of this thread versus the big SW thread in the Book Barn?)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Speaking of Yoda, where did the "Jedi Masters don't use lightsabers", with corresponding nerd rage, come from?

I liked Yoda fighting.

(Unrelated, what's the domain of this thread versus the big SW thread in the Book Barn?)

Yoda fighting is terrible. It's "nerds" and "Star Wars fans" that liked him having one; it was more like film fans in general that stated it was missing the point (from what I remember of theforce.net's arguments after Episode 2).

The point of Yoda/Palpatine was that they are so far beyond a Jedi Knight in usage of the Force that something as piddly as using a lightsaber is pointless to them.

While Obi Wan trained Luke in using a saber, super wise Master Yoda trained him completely without one, and actually TOLD him to leave his weapons behind for a scene (which imprints the thought that reliance on weapons is weaksauce). Then Yoda relatively casually lifts an entire X-Wing out with one hand.

The Emperor grabs Luke's lightsaber like it's a silly toy and remarks on it being like a tool of someone beneath him.

The whole Yoda/Emperor idea is drawn from things like Eastern martial arts films in which the wise old masters put for NO effort at all to defeat people. In Drunken Master 1, for instance, Jackie Chan's old master beats him effortlessly barely moving (and Yoda's appearance is very much like an old master from Snake in Eagle's Shadow or Drunken Master). To have the old sage fighting like he's on speed defeats the entire point - that he has mastered beyond all that.

Or, in RPG terms, you don't give a sage a sword.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

Yoda fighting is terrible. It's "nerds" and "Star Wars fans" that liked him having one; it was more like film fans in general that stated it was missing the point

See, that's the thing. The point of the scene was that Yoda is an old Jedi Master, but can still kick rear end with a lightsaber, in counter to the notion that Jedi Masters didn't use them. Which leads to my original question: why did people think that in the first place?

(from what I remember of theforce.net's arguments after Episode 2).

Darko posted:

The point of Yoda/Palpatine was that they are so far beyond a Jedi Knight in usage of the Force that something as piddly as using a lightsaber is pointless to them.

Where did you get that concept? You never heard either of those two characters expressing dismissal of lightsabers.

Darko posted:

The Emperor grabs Luke's lightsaber like it's a silly toy and remarks on it being like a tool of someone beneath him.

Quote? I don't remember such a line.

Darko posted:

Or, in RPG terms, you don't give a sage a sword.

You give a sword to a Master of a Knightly order, though, which is what Yoda is.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
The Emperor describes the lightsaber dismissively as a Jedi's weapon, and the point behind Vader using a lightsaber is that he's a corrupted Jedi that kept some of their mementos.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Quote? I don't remember such a line.

The whole scene is Palpatine taunting Luke by placing this deadly weapon of the Jedi right there on his armrest like it's nothing and daring him to try to strike him down.

As for everything else, Yoda's entire character was constructed in the OT to dissuade you from the notion that Jedi Masters are warriors. Luke calls him a 'great warrior' and is instantly rebuked, Yoda tells him to leave his weapons behind, he's a short little green guy who couldn't possibly be any use in a fight.

And then he casually lifts the X-Wing out of the swamp with a gesture.

Yoda is the first person in all the films to tell us and Luke (right when he's at the formative point of hi characer arch) what the force is all about, and his scenes go out of their way to point out that it's about learning inner peace and Space Buddhism, not waving a laser sword around.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Also RLM (again) brought up that having the lightsaber as the weapon for EVERY alien doesn't really make that much sense and goes against the idea of force users being equal regardless of race. Yoda has to exert himself a lot more against a large opponent to reach them, among other problems (alien with a long skinny neck, alien with floppy tentacles on head that could easily hit the saber).

Plus it's a dumb scene, just like the rest of the spinny flippy flippy spinny fighting.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yoda and the Emperor were so badass they no longer needed puny weapons. This was reinforced by the fact the Emperor shot mutherfucking lightning out of his finger tips on a whim which lead people to believe Yoda was a similar sort of badass yet he never had the need to show it.

The needless prequel cgi Yoda stupid lightsaber poo poo was just terrible, but then again like all things Star Wars, you can shorten that sentence to "the needless prequels were terrible."

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
Seems similar to how the later movies took isolated-but-iconic elements from the earlier movies and multiplied them... all the younglings training with the same improvised junk Luke trained with on the Millennium Falcon, all the Jedi wearing Obi Wan's moisture farmer disguise (though this one started when they showed Anakin's ghost in ROTJ, right?)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ave Azaria posted:

Seems similar to how the later movies took isolated-but-iconic elements from the earlier movies and multiplied them... all the younglings training with the same improvised junk Luke trained with on the Millennium Falcon, all the Jedi wearing Obi Wan's moisture farmer disguise (though this one started when they showed Anakin's ghost in ROTJ, right?)

Yes, but the Jedi being warrior monks is a consistent theme so it's not egregiously bad.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

The whole scene is Palpatine taunting Luke by placing this deadly weapon of the Jedi right there on his armrest like it's nothing and daring him to try to strike him down.

Yes, because a lightsaber is a lethal Jedi weapon, and striking him (an allegedly defenseless man) down with it brings him to the Dark Side.

Alchenar posted:

As for everything else, Yoda's entire character was constructed in the OT to dissuade you from the notion that Jedi Masters are warriors. Luke calls him a 'great warrior' and is instantly rebuked, Yoda tells him to leave his weapons behind, he's a short little green guy who couldn't possibly be any use in a fight.

So you're saying that the people who take issue with fighting are using the same faulty logic that Luke has about what Yoda is?

Luke baselessly assumes the little green guy in front of him isn't Yoda, and is proved wrong. People baselessly assumes a Jedi Master can't/don't fight, and are proven wrong. People baselessly assume that the Emperor Of The Sith can't/doesn't either, and are proven wrong.

Hmm. I can buy that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MisterBibs: Tone establishment by implication.

You also probably don't have a problem with Dooku one-handedly using force lightning and Obi-Wan deflecting it with a lightsaber, either, right?

All of these things are because Lucas saw the OT pretty much like you did (which is why the PT fails so horribly in the details). He doesn't understand undercurrent, theme, visual storytelling and establishing character mood/development/feel via what the DON'T do. He just understands exposition (which is why he's a decent base story man).

edit: I mean, gently caress, "Yoda jumps around with a lightsaber" is the exact same issue as "Han shoots first." Lucas just plain doesn't understand how character actions influence perception of characters, or why some characters have a certain strength about themselves.

Darko fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 25, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Yes, because a lightsaber is a lethal Jedi weapon, and striking him (an allegedly defenseless man) down with it brings him to the Dark Side.

Here is where I point out to the other people reading this thread that this is someone who thinks that the Emperor's plan was to get killed by Luke so that Luke would fall to the dark side.

You have no grasp of subtlety whatsoever.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yoda being a skilled fighter in the prequels is consistent with the interpretation that Yoda was basically wrong all the time in the prequels, and only attained enlightenment during his exile.

Dooku using Force Lightning, as well as Palpatine fighting with a lightsaber, are dumb (unless paratext is invoked).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

You also probably don't have a problem with Dooku one-handedly using force lightning and Obi-Wan deflecting it with a lightsaber, either, right?

Was I supposed to?

Alchenar posted:

Here is where I point out to the other people reading this thread that this is someone who thinks that the Emperor's plan was to get killed by Luke so that Luke would fall to the dark side.

Technically, its more along the lines of the Emperor trying to replace Vader with Luke. The Emperor goads Luke into using his weapon on someone who appears to be defenseless. Except he's not defenseless: he has Vader, force lightning, and prolly a lightsaber underneath the robes.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 24, 2013

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

MisterBibs posted:

Was I supposed to?

No, but the idea of turning the ultimate display of Dark side power into something that a lightsaber can deflect is a great example of tension deflating.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Technically, its more along the lines of the Emperor trying to replace Vader with Luke. The Emperor goads Luke into using his weapon on someone who appears to be defenseless. Except he's not defenseless: he has Vader, force lightning, and prolly a lightsaber underneath the robes.

Everyone knows this.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Surely Yoda going from using a lightsaber in the prequels to not using one and relying purely on the force fits with that idea that people were discussing earlier about prequel Yoda being much less wise than he thinks he is? He becomes the wise sage of the swamp because he realises that just trying to stab dudes with a laser sword isn't really the way to do things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
I always thought the point of Yoda being 900 years old was that he carried an unfathomable amount of wisdom with him. Not that he spent hundreds of years being kind of a dink up until the last couple decades.

Again, it's taking a simple story cue that conveyed a simple message effectively, and weakening it with over-complication.

• Locked thread