Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Gundam's been quiet too.

It's really easy to miss because of his taste for dramatics, but Gundam actually doesn't talk that much. It's actually pretty rare for him to speak up with anything longer than a one-line quip in the group shots unless directly addressed. He was the only character not to say even a single word in the first two updates, before his proper introduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Peko just showing up again out of the blue just cements her position as prime suspect for me. She was already that before, but now she's showing she wasn't incapacitated so where the gently caress was she?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

SingerOfW posted:

And I totally forgot about the Monobear files while considering Mikan's possible contribution to the investigation. Who needs a doctor to perform the body check when it's always been done by our omniscient mascot principal?
Monobear only gives a very quick analysis, which I imagine he picks from the cameras. But Mikan can physically examine a body and give a lot more information as a trained professional. It's like you have two people, a regular joe and a medical examiner. The average joe can look at a body with a gunshot wound and say "yeah he was shot in the chest". The examiner can expand on that to a greater detail.

Also I'm thinking the multiple wounds gives a lot more credence to the "murderer under the floor" theory. If the weapon was coming from under Togami it would be easier to do several quick stabs through the floor than it would in close proximity under a table, especially considering Togami's size.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Jeez Nagito didn't you learn anything from Kirigiri last game? Don't investigate with preconceived notions in mind, let your conclusions form from the evidence. I'm starting to doubt he's actually Naegi at all. But idk maybe he's just shook up from his best bud dying.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

kidcoelacanth posted:

Peko just showing up again out of the blue just cements her position as prime suspect for me. She was already that before, but now she's showing she wasn't incapacitated so where the gently caress was she?

I think it's way too obvious for her to be a killer. That and just a bunch of panic stabs don't suit her at all.
I honestly think Mikan is a good choice here. Not only did she try and distract the others by yet another impossible weird falling accident. She also strikes me as the type who'd panic and stab wildly when attacking someone.

Then again Nagito was the one who prepared this area so hiding a stabbing tool somewhere should have been easy for him. Knocking out the 2 characters who mostly resemble members of the previous cast also seems like something DR2 would do. Coincidentally they are also the 2 people Hinata spend the most time with so far.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Togami? Your son is DEAD. Look, says right here in the file, DEAD!

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Holy buckets, *eight* stab wounds? On top of that, Little Miss Psycho Saionji was displaying *amazing* common sense and survivor rationale as Usami starts spraying bullshit that would lead to the whole class getting killed? Forget the thoroughness of the kill, that character twist came the gently caress out of nowhere...

Also, I bet you guys dollars to donuts that Togami's corpse is laying on top of the hole the killer attacked from.

So, for the immediate moment, I think Nekomaru and Hanamura are off the suspect list. Hanamura because it would have been much easier to poison the fat guy's huge food intake. But as Togami was lying face down and basically impossible to move quickly, he had to have been stabbed from below. And since the knife was tapped to the table , placing it *above* Togami as he went underneath it, the murder weapon has to be the skewer. How does this exonerate Nekomaru? Aside from his whole need to give the thunderbucket a workout, it's implicit that the killer at some point got under the floor and attacked upward. Nekomaru's too huge to fit under there much less attack with a pointed object so thoroughly...He'd gently caress up the surrounding floorboards and besides, he could have just strangled Togami with his bare hands.

This means that the killer has to be able to fit under the floor...which... sadly puts suspicion on near everybody. Togami, Nekomaru, Hinata (by way of protagonistism) and probably/maybe Akane (who also would be far more likely to kill someone without using weapons) were the only ones who can't fit in the crawlspace...

...gently caress. However, we have some semi-accounted for characters. Chiaki was outside with Monomi, and from a character witness standpoint, I think Mikan and Koizumi (and maybe Souda but that's getting into meta there) are unlikely killers and Sonia as well.

Peko...as much as I hate to admit seems a lot suspicious: she was supposed to guard the circuit breaker, she could have hidden the skewer in her shinai bag, and could easily plan for the power outage. Togami was just the victim of oppurtunity. There are holes with this theory as well: the locked bathroom has to come into play here, and she can't have been both in there and the other room given that the former was locked all through the party. She has a perfectly good shinai which if she were to thrust in someone's unprotected throat, would gently caress them up...but also, from what little I know of kendo, and that I *think* she's the second tallest girl in the group, that she would have a hard time using her kendo skills while fitting under the floor: laying on her back and shoving the skewer upwards-- Japanese fencing, and fencing in general tends to require footwork and full body motion to get enough momentum for an effective strike...

So yeah, it's still anybody's murder at this point.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
One of the stab wounds is bigger than the other seven. Perhaps that one instantly incapacitated him and the rest were into his unmoving body. So many stab wounds makes it a bit less likely that they were inflicted from under the floor, though. You'd have to keep crawling on your back to reposition yourself, and being under the floor you'd probably get covered in blood, and there's no time to change.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
It's still a matter of the stab locations. Togami's lying face down. No blood's on his back so the stabs didn't penetrate his whole body. While I admit that the killer's probably got to go wash off all "the blue blood", the only way his body and wounds are the way they are is if somebody attacked him from under the floor. The stabs were probably thrusts through the slits, not always hitting the same flesh, and given the limited amount of space under there, I'm more inclined to think this kill was done by a shorter, slighter character than any of the big kids randomly thrusting up through the floor.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

quote:

nor any traces of poison or other drugs.
So when does monobear have time to do a Tox screening of the body? In the time after he was hidden under the table but before the lights came on?

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

TKMobile posted:

Hanamura because it would have been much easier to poison the fat guy's huge food intake.

The point of Monobear's game is getting away with murder. If someone dies of poison, the guy that messes with everyone's food would become the immediate suspect. Ergo, Hanamura would be the least likely person to poison someone.

TKMobile posted:

Nekomaru's too huge to fit under there much less attack with a pointed object so thoroughly...He'd gently caress up the surrounding floorboards and besides, he could have just strangled Togami with his bare hands.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You'd have to keep crawling on your back to reposition yourself, and being under the floor you'd probably get covered in blood, and there's no time to change.

We don't know how large the area under the floorboards actually is. At the very least, the probability that the skewer was used to kill Togami implies that there was enough room to properly thrust something that large and unwieldy through the floorboard and deep into Togami's body. Heck, if the area was big enough, it would even justify the use of the longer, spear-like weapon over the easier-to-maneuver knife. The latter would be too short.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

My only disappointment in this update is that it ended before the investigation truely began, meaning that we'll have to wait until the next one to hear this game's version of BOX 15/16, the investigation music.

What? I like those two tracks!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Awia posted:

So when does monobear have time to do a Tox screening of the body? In the time after he was hidden under the table but before the lights came on?

In a game with gigantic transforming robot death weapons I think we can chalk that up to creative license.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Curiosity: what is the BOX 15?

deadly mawk
Sep 7, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Curiosity: what is the BOX 15?

Dangan Ronpa's first "investigation" theme. It replaces the usual area BGM during Abnormal Days. And it's super catchy.

I don't remember anymore if it was just for the last trial, but at some point in the game it was replaced by a rock cover with a little more oomph.

e: I'm an idiot.

deadly mawk fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 24, 2013

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Also considering that his wounds are in roughly a straight line despite the varying sizes and locations it looks a lot like someone was stabbing randomly from under the cabin.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It was rather surprising that Hanamura stopped panicking and stepped up to help. I guess character growth might be coming a bit more quickly than in DR1.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Runaway Bro posted:

Dangan Ronpa's first "investigation" theme. It replaces the usual area BGM during Abnormal Days. And it's super catchy.

Well, that didn't go over well...

deadly mawk
Sep 7, 2010

You should have said "inside". :colbert:

Anyway, any excuse to link those again.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Awia posted:

You know, I was about to attribute Monobear's knowledge of the wound positions to his watching the killing over the cameras. But with the statement about poison, it does seem he has more knowledge than he should. He never did this in the last game, did he? I never found it too implausible he'd get a chance to examine the bodies before the kids would have a chance to investigate them. Here, the murder just happened.

Requested_Username posted:

In a game with gigantic transforming robot death weapons I think we can chalk that up to creative license.

...can we? DR1 made a bit of a big deal about trying to outsmart Monobear what with the cameraless bath-house and Kirigiri's sneaking around. But if at this point we start saying "Oh, well, Monobear is allowed to magically know things that he should never have had an opportunity to find out, because creative license" it'd sort of seem like the game has dropped any pretense of trying to play fair. If we're going to say that he did a toxicity analysis from a distance it should fit the setting's rules- he'd have to show that he has some sort of magic sci-fi technology that lets him do that.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

orenronen posted:

But... I still won't believe it. I won't believe one of us killed Togami-kun...
I can't believe it... I'll never believe it...
And that's why...

I'm gonna do it.
I will investigate Togami-kun's death... and prove it wasn't one of us who killed him.

Am I the only one who thinks that sounds really fuckin suspicious?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Awia posted:

You're totally right, the crazy teddy bear who can erase memories and has several giant mechs at his disposal wouldn't be able to perform a proper autopsy of the body. This has shattered my immersion.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Stroth posted:

I personally think either he did it, or is going to have the mother of all nervous breakdowns when the killer is found. :smith:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Nice that the game helpfully reminded us of the "traitor" deal, specifically tying Togami to it. Makes it look even likelier that Togami was behind (at least some of) this.

I didn't expect Mahiru to call herself "not that smart".

Stroth posted:

No, you're not, and it's been brought up a couple of times already.

I just can't take "am I the only one" questions rhetorically

Sporkaganza
Feb 19, 2013

I'm bakayuya tomgami
I know that she's one of the ones under suspicion, but I really think we can eliminate Pekoyama as a suspect for a meta reason: There's no way they're going to specifically request a voice actress as famous as Kotono Mitsuishi just to kill off her character in the very beginning of the game by execution.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Sporkaganza posted:

I know that she's one of the ones under suspicion, but I really think we can eliminate Pekoyama as a suspect for a meta reason: There's no way they're going to specifically request a voice actress as famous as Kotono Mitsuishi just to kill off her character in the very beginning of the game by execution.

On the other hand, it's quite possible that they weren't able to arrange for her to record that many lines (disclaimer: I don't know how voice acting in games is handled, especially in Japan) so they just arranged for her to be killed right away.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Sporkaganza posted:

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Sporkaganza posted:

Tell that to Patrick Stewart.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I just hope Chiaki cracks the case by virtue of having played the first game.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Color Printer posted:

On the other hand, it's quite possible that they weren't able to arrange for her to record that many lines (disclaimer: I don't know how voice acting in games is handled, especially in Japan) so they just arranged for her to be killed right away.

Alternatively, she cost too much so they arranged for her to be killed right away.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You're totally right, the crazy teddy bear who can erase memories and has several giant mechs at his disposal wouldn't be able to perform a proper autopsy of the body. This has shattered my immersion.

It's not a matter of immersion, it's a matter of clues. :colbert: Monobear knows there was no poison involved and the precise location of every wound on the body. "How?" is a totally legitimate question to ask. As much as his act consists of pretending to be omniscient, we shouldn't automatically assume he is.

This is an interesting enough point to me that I went back into the DR1 thread to get the old files for comparison:

Monobear File 1 posted:

The victim is Sayaka Maizono...
The time of death was around 1:30am.
The body was found in Makoto Naegi’s private room in the dormitory area.
The victim was killed in that room’s shower.
Cause of death is a wound to the stomach area made by a sharp object.
Other than that, there are traces of a blow to her right wrist.
In addition to the traces, her right wrist’s bone is broken.

Monobear File 2 posted:

“The victim is Chihiro Fujisaki... The time of death was around 2am.
The body was found in the second floor school area, in the girls’ changing room.
Cause of death is a blow to the head with a dull object. Death was instantaneous.”

Monobear File 3 posted:

"The victims are Hifumi Yamada and Kiyotaka Ishimaru. Both were killed by a blow to the head."
"A similar weapon was used for both murders."

Monobear File 4 posted:

The victim is Sakura Oogami... The time of death was around 12 at noon...
The body was found at the recreation room on the 3rd floor of the school area.
There are signs of a blow to the victim's head. It appears the head was struck hard. There are no other visible external wounds on the body.
Additionally, there are signs the victim violently vomited blood.

Monobear File 5 posted:

"Due to severe injuries suffered by the explosion, the body's identity is unclear."
"The explosion occurred after the victim's death."
"The knife wound in the abdomen area extends all the way to the victim's back. There is just one wound caused by the knife."
"There are also signs of a blow to the back of the head. It seems to have been caused by a cylindrical object, about as thick as a metal pipe."
"Other than that, there are signs of many other wounds on the body. However, they are old wounds that were not inflicted during the last few days."

Every one of these is consistent with the information inside being collected by Junko observing the crimes over the security system. The only times Monobear ever provided information that he couldn't have known without visiting the scene of the crime is in 1, when he knew Maizano's wrist was broken (but had plenty of time to visit the scene of the crime and directly confirm this), and in 5, which Junko was personally responsible for.

We don't know how useful an observation it might be yet, but this time, Monobear somehow knows something that he'd have to learn through means beyond what the old Monobear had. Maybe it's something simple like the murderer personally informed him. But DR has been good about avoiding plotholes, so until we have evidence otherwise, this is a fact and not a plothole.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Violence really is the way to save poor comedy! All those gamers on a couch webcomics were right all along!

kidcoelacanth posted:

Holding up the bathroom, of course :downs:. Although Pekopeko will probably be the red herring, since she carries a sword around and was missing when Mr. Porkfeet got stabbed.

Saionji is really growing on me; she's like Togami if Togami were a mean little girl instead of an rear end in a top hat fat dead rich guy.

Dereich
Feb 20, 2013
Hello! Just caught up after getting through the paywall.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

But you're forgetting about the nightvision goggles, unless Togami had them and not the killer.

I'm pretty sure Togami had the goggles and the knife in the now open box. The knife probably didn't come from the kitchen because the only thing they mentioned was missing was the one skewer. With the box so far from the table it seems Togami already had the knife and goggles when he crawled under it. But that doesn't make much sense to me; why would he crawl under the table anyway? Togami isn't exactly one to run and hide, especially when he's trying to be the big leader.

Also, how would anyone get under the floorboards anyway? The map didn't show any stairs and it'd be odd for there to be a whole bunch of moving space under there.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Awia posted:

We can assume that Togami is wrong and Monobear had some way to monitor what's going on inside the cabin. After all, he knew there was a murder. If he knows that a murder took place, he probably knows how it took place, by whom, why, etc (like the previous game). Basically, if he's monitoring what's going on inside the cabin, he doesn't have to do a toxicity test. He can be very sure that Togami wasn't poisoned, because no one brought poison to the cabin, no one made poison in the cabin, and the murderer stabbed Togami, so why would he poison him?

It's less that he took a toxicity test, more that he knows the answer to the question, so screening for toxins is mostly useless.

EDIT: To drive the point further into the ground, it's entirely possible that Togami was poisoned. After all, everything is a possibility. However, Togami being poisoned is unlikely and has no relevance on the case, because Monobear already knows everything about the case.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 24, 2013

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Twiddy posted:

We can assume that Togami is wrong and Monobear had some way to monitor what's going on inside the cabin. After all, he knew there was a murder. If he knows that a murder took place, he probably knows how it took place, by whom, why, etc (like the previous game). Basically, if he's monitoring what's going on inside the cabin, he doesn't have to do a toxicity test. He can be very sure that Togami wasn't poisoned, because no one brought poison to the cabin, no one made poison in the cabin, and the murderer stabbed Togami, so why would he poison him?

It's less that he took a toxicity test, more that he knows the answer to the question, so screening for toxins is mostly useless.

EDIT: To drive the point further into the ground, it's entirely possible that Togami was poisoned. After all, everything is a possibility. However, Togami being poisoned is unlikely and has no relevance on the case, because Monobear already knows everything about the case.

Togami never said it was ever a matter of hiding from Monobear's observations. He only said that he didn't want Monobear to be around, and that's quite different. We've been seeing security cameras inside the lodge, and Togami would've definitely noticed those too. He could've wanted Monobear to stay away because he might actually be usable as a weapon, since in DR1 his bodies always contained bombs. Or somebody could've picked him up and whacked another student over the head with him. I dunno.

But yeah, pragmatically speaking, even it's weird that particular detail was included, it's not like there's any reason to doubt that Monobear is right about poisoning.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Sporkaganza posted:

Indeed, I can think of no work that has ever killed off the character played by a famous actor early. I have also never watched Psyco. And Scream. And the thousand other movies that have done that.

Sporkaganza
Feb 19, 2013

I'm bakayuya tomgami

prahanormal posted:

Indeed, I can think of no work that has ever killed off the character played by a famous actor early. I have also never watched Psyco. And Scream. And the thousand other movies that have done that.

Yeah, fair enough. As several people have pointed out, it could go either way.

To be honest, I just don't want Pekoyama to be the killer cause I think she's cool and would like to know more about her.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

tiistai posted:

I didn't expect Mahiru to call herself "not that smart".

Yeah, Mahiru's my prime suspect right now just because of how out-of-character that whole exchange seemed, plus the argument she had with Togami about who should be leader at breakfast. She was the first to volunteer to guard the body and nobody said there necessarily should be multiple people doing the guarding beforehand, maybe there was something minor she wanted to tweak before Tsumiki/Ibuki volunteered to go along with her.

I'm so glad this isn't another mondo obvious 11037 case.

BackwardPalindrome
Dec 9, 2012

Joakim Mogren is totally rendered in the FOX Engine you guys.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Or somebody could've picked him up and whacked another student over the head with him. I dunno.

I think if someone murdered someone else that way, even if it was Saionji murdering someone like Sonia. I would eat that case up so much just because of the absolutely ridiculous murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Sporkaganza posted:

Haha, you're funny.

I have a much better reason- if she did kill someone it probably wouldn't be with anything besides that sword of hers and it's kind of obvious the weapon used was the missing skewer.
Further she seems way too composed to get so emotionally charged to stab a dude EIGHT TIMES, especially when she's one of the few people Togami hasn't upset with his cautiousness or personality yet.
She seems a lot like the Sakura of this game, so even if she does die early I see it happening from self defense.

My bets are on it being Souda because he's the only one who's been so outwardly batshit scared he'd just go that stab crazy if he was found, just out of pure shock and reflexes. Togami was paranoid enough he had night vision goggles himself, but I'm still betting money on Souda because if anyone can time a black out like that and memorize the layout of a building in short time it's probably the Super High School Level Mechanic.

... That or Gundam can see in the dark because he's the one true overlord and I welcome his reign.

• Locked thread