Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Can I pipe corpses into my meat-pie factory and have a Sweeny Todd / Soylent Green / horsemeat scandal as the information slowly leaks out?

Breaking news, Citizen X is claiming he found a button in his meat-pie yesterday! His wife, Citizen Y, says she found the rest of the shirt in hers! The factory involved states "They should be grateful, you get prizes in cereal, why not in your meat pies!" Sales have increased tenfold.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

LotsBread posted:

Regular batshit crazy, that is

If these poor buggers are actually modeled after my country men, that really is the default sort of thing for most of them.

Will you guys be using the 'classic' Victorian diseases like Typhoid or will you be making your own?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I hope there is a legitimate in-game disease that spreads through miasma and other early theories that existed at that time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

rudatron posted:

I hope there is a legitimate in-game disease that spreads through miasma and other early theories that existed at that time.

'Feeling off? drink this irridiated water and you'll feel right as rain. Don't whine at me man about losing your hair. Everyone knows hair is caused by the devils sin.'

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

SeanBeansShako posted:

'Feeling off? drink this irridiated water and you'll feel right as rain. Don't whine at me man about losing your hair. Everyone knows hair is caused by the devils sin.'

See also:

http://www.museumofquackery.com/devices/revig.htm

The Revigorator! Letting Americans make radiated water at home until about 1925 or so.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

rudatron posted:

It shocked me to learn at uni that western medical theory really wasn't any better than the rest of the world's till fairly late in the C19th.

Though perhaps more relevantly, it would be funny if the upper classes in the game took a leaf from Edwin Chadwick and his Public Health schemes and quite literally steal people's poo poo. Though I think simulating a sewerage system or lack thereof would be difficult and I think people would struggle to get over human waste having value.

Still, gotta :arghfist: at Chadwick.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Is there any sense yet of how large these maps will be?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

ReV VAdAUL posted:

It shocked me to learn at uni that western medical theory really wasn't any better than the rest of the world's till fairly late in the C19th.

Though perhaps more relevantly, it would be funny if the upper classes in the game took a leaf from Edwin Chadwick and his Public Health schemes and quite literally steal people's poo poo. Though I think simulating a sewerage system or lack thereof would be difficult and I think people would struggle to get over human waste having value.

Still, gotta :arghfist: at Chadwick.

Piping resources around is going to be a big part of the game, maybe houses will need to have fresh water piped in and dirty water piped out? Otherwise citizens will have to spend some of their time going to a well/stream and people walking near houses can randomly get hit when the occupants empty chamber pots.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Nevets posted:

Piping resources around is going to be a big part of the game, maybe houses will need to have fresh water piped in and dirty water piped out? Otherwise citizens will have to spend some of their time going to a well/stream and people walking near houses can randomly get hit when the occupants empty chamber pots.
There was talk of piping factory waste into Nature, so this will at least be present for industry. I think doing this for every last house decaying tenement might be a bit much.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Nevets posted:

That would be cool. Still though, I'm not sure sewerage would be that interesting in game, just my pet interest.

The thing I was thinking of being difficult was the nature of "public health" in C19th Britain. Things like human waste having value to the people who produced it, councils hiring men to forcefully open / smash people's windows in winter to save them from Bad Air and Chadwick getting super keen on public health when it started to become clear his poor law was starving people.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've been playing Dredmor all day. All bloody day. What have you done to me!?

Knowing how awesome Dredmor is only makes it MORE difficult to wait for this game.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I've been playing Dredmor all day. All bloody day. What have you done to me!?

Knowing how awesome Dredmor is only makes it MORE difficult to wait for this game.

Thank you! We aim to please.

(If you have not discovered the Dredmor thread, our forums, or the mod community, please do so now.)

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

nvining posted:

Thank you! We aim to please.

(If you have not discovered the Dredmor thread, our forums, or the mod community, please do so now.)

Honestly, the only things that annoy me about Dredmor are the lack of diagonal movement and the necessity of using the mouse to navigate easily. (I might be wrong on that one, but I don't think there's a way to pick up stuff or attack with the keyboard, but it's been a while). Other than that, it's a ridiculously good game.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Lprsti99 posted:

Honestly, the only things that annoy me about Dredmor are the lack of diagonal movement and the necessity of using the mouse to navigate easily. (I might be wrong on that one, but I don't think there's a way to pick up stuff or attack with the keyboard, but it's been a while). Other than that, it's a ridiculously good game.

We added a "move-to-attack" mode, if memory serves; you can access it by the config panel that shows up when you hit ESCAPE in the latest version. I believe it also opens doors.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

You can attack (and open doors, pull levers and loot bookcases) with the keyboard by turning on move-to-attack in the options, and you can pick up stuff by walking over it if you turn on autopickup.

Stuff you can't do with the keyboard which is a source of constant aggravation to me: close doors, open chests, pick up items you don't have on autopickup, switch hotkey panes, 'fisk items, target spells or other abilities, examine monsters or items

It would be so much nicer as a laptop game if you didn't have to use the mouse every five seconds. :(

Not that this has stopped me from playing it for hours each day

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

nvining posted:

Your CE forums scare the hell out of me. There were people arguing the logistics and transport efficiency of airships vs steamships. They were factoring in the metal cogs randomly welded to every surface, man.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Your CE forums scare the hell out of me. There were people arguing the logistics and transport efficiency of airships vs steamships. They were factoring in the metal cogs randomly welded to every surface, man.

I think, but I'm not sure, that we have some migrants from Bay 12.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
The easy way to stop that is to edit your ini file.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Nevets posted:

The easy way to stop that is to edit your ini file.

Doesn't stop the first two waves, though.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I am unreasonably excited for this game. I was talking to my friends a couple weeks ago about how much fun a co-op city builder would be, and then somebody mentioned clockwork empires was planning to be just that. So I went and read through all the blog posts (the last time I had heard anything about it was shortly after wizardlands had come out), and this is essentially everything I would want in a city builder. I love the setting, the steampunk aesthetic, the dark/Lovecraftian humor, and I love dwarf fortress even though I'm complete poo poo at it. This is without a doubt my most anticipated game of 2013.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I just played DoD again for 4 hours without break. Didn't notice until I died. I don't even like roguelikes.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
Just a question. In your recent blog post you indicated that there would be various noblemen/women in the player's colony that would be at the same rank as the player's own bureaucrat. Are they able to issue there own orders to workers/soldiers, or do they act like the nobles in df and just issue orders to the player that he/she can chose to obey?

also to anyone who is not already following the gaslamp games twitter do it now so you can see poo poo like this unfolding during development.

http://twitpic.com/c56bk3

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh dear, how will he smoke now?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's the best place to point someone who's interested in learning/seeing what the actual gameplay of this is like? I gave a friend the Nutpin story and they're asking me how much is mechanics and how much is artistic license.

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig

flatluigi posted:

What's the best place to point someone who's interested in learning/seeing what the actual gameplay of this is like? I gave a friend the Nutpin story and they're asking me how much is mechanics and how much is artistic license.

Well, I guess there's always The original press release.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh dear, how will he smoke now?
He'll probably just rub snuff into his fleshy stub.

flatluigi posted:

The stories (there are two published so far) are there to serve as a guide to development. They're what an LP of actual gameplay is supposed to look like.

nvining
May 30, 2011

fleshy echidna posted:

Just a question. In your recent blog post you indicated that there would be various noblemen/women in the player's colony that would be at the same rank as the player's own bureaucrat. Are they able to issue there own orders to workers/soldiers, or do they act like the nobles in df and just issue orders to the player that he/she can chose to obey?

All of this can, of course, be distilled from our blogposts, so I don't think I'm actually saying anything new here.

There's two handfuls of things going on here. First, there are actual upper-class citizens. The plan, tentatively, is that they will do what they are interested in doing. This may be something useful to you (anthropology, big game hunting, law, zeppelin racing) or something that is not as useful (poetry, pigeon gambling, generally being a drunken lout)

DISCLAIMER: I am not guaranteeing that any of the above examples will actually make it in game (except poetry, which is kind of already in and is rather amazing.)

Second, there may be ways in which you can get requests from the Empire itself, or by famous individuals in the Empire (Lord Palmerstoke, who you may have read about, and/or the Royal Society; the Prime Minister; etc.) Requests can be accepted, or denied, and there are (presumably) penalties for "failing to succeed". In general, there's a consensus that you should be able to just quietly ignore outside requests if you want, because you may be busy doing your own thing or building a megaproject and the last thing you want to do, in this case, is to be interrupted by us. There is a notion of colonial prestige, which can be used to call in favours (supply drop of scientific equipment; etc.), and which can be accrued in a number of ways, including having a poet die on you in a horrific and violent fashion (vis-a-vis Mr. Nutpin.) Anyhow, we're tackling writing the event framework in a couple of weeks, so I'll have a better idea of how it all works out after the blood stops flowing and the knives are back in the drawer.

EDIT: For the best three examples of gameplay, you should look at the three stories. (I dunno how we got from three down to two, but there was a third one.)

First: New Sogwood, which gives you an idea of how a colony might start: http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/09/storytelling-as-game-design/
Second: Shiveringhope, wherein we meet the Anti-Paranormal Investigators and some horrifying coffins: http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/31/the-story-of-shiveringhope/
Third, and most recently: The Sad, Strange Tale of Josiah Nutpin, wherein we look at traits and interactions, and also meet a few other classes of ways your colony may encounter sticky ends: http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/02/14/the-sad-strange-tale-of-josiah-nutpin/

nvining fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 25, 2013

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think it has been mentioned before, but I think the best thing about the Gaslamp Games blog are the tags on the posts.

quote:

there is no good that can happen when a man chases after you with a giant beak helmet that is also on fire

No good indeed.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010

nvining posted:

really awsome helpful stuff
Wow this is great! Thanks for helping out, can now say my level of excitement has peaked to unhealthy levels. Also by the by how many more sacrifices to the Invisible Geometers must I make to have the beta come out? There are only so many unsymmetrical cats you know!

edit:vvv it just isn't the same :(

fleshy echidna fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 25, 2013

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

fleshy echidna posted:

Wow this is great! Thanks for helping out, can now say my level of excitement has peaked to unhealthy levels. Also by the by how many more sacrifices to the Invisible Geometers must I make to have the beta come out? There are only so many unsymmetrical cats you know!

Symmetrical cats can be made unsymmetrical.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Eonwe posted:

I think it has been mentioned before, but I think the best thing about the Gaslamp Games blog are the tags on the posts.

I've been waiting for the one blogpost where the tags are bigger than itself.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I imagine that the process for writing those tags is similar to the one for naming all those mushrooms in Dredmor.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012
I'm excited for this to come out. Reading this thread and seeing someone mention the Dredmor sale last week has gotten me irreversibly hooked on annihilating all that is Diggle. Played 6 hours the day I bought the Dredmor complete pack without even realizing.

Orv posted:

The Guild (both 1 and 2) are great games, but they both suffer from the same problem that eventually you get so powerful you need all your opponents room to expand. Unfortunately this takes goddamn forever because getting rid of opponents soldiers/carts/buildings is a hideous process. I don't think I've ever completely won a game of 2, they were all sort of moral "I have more money than god, go gently caress yourself" victories.

My preferred method was to exploit the political/legal system. Your opponents' businesses don't run so well if the head of their top-earning production building is always getting hauled off to the torture chamber or jailed. I always have one character with a high or maxed Rhetoric skill as well, that way when I find some dirt on an opponent, I can easily push for harsh punishments in court. Sometimes the legal arena works even better than you plan on; I had an incident where I brought the head of a rival dynasty to trial with the objective of getting him jailed for long stretch, but apparently I swayed the court so much they sentenced him to death without me even asking for it during sentencing :getin:

nvining
May 30, 2011

Dead Poets' Society:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/02/27/yet-another-technology-status-update/

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

quote:

Shortly after that, we got people actually eating food. This created the usual cavalcade of bugs: people eating the same food, people eating invisible food, people eating food in somebody else’s hands and in one case inside somebody else’s body.

Eaters gotta eat.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
I see the food system gave us gave us bohemian Poets for free. How is poetry implemented? Is it procedural? That must be pure magic.

How did that dude lose his head? Rendering error?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Markovnikov posted:

I see the food system gave us gave us bohemian Poets for free. How is poetry implemented? Is it procedural? That must be pure magic.

Yep. More details later, but it's procedural; poets will write about both objects in the world, and about events that have occurred in your colony (a la Dwarf Fortress) Gotta have that!

Markovnikov posted:

How did that dude lose his head? Rendering error?

His head animated.

The rest of his body didn't.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

quote:

Shortly after that, we got people actually eating food. This created the usual cavalcade of bugs: people eating the same food, people eating invisible food, people eating food in somebody else’s hands and in one case inside somebody else’s body.
I fail to see how any of these are bugs. What's wrong with a little sharing, even if it's not "Are you gonna eat that?" as much as it's "Are you gonna eat that again?"

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Eating behavior seems to be a perpetual problem when designing AI. I remember reading in a PC gaming magazine back when Black and White was in development that they were having trouble programming the Creature you got not to eat itself when it got hungry.

There was also a bug that went unsolved for quite a while in Fallout: New Vegas where NCR troopers would randomly attack your Eyebot companion when you entered their camp. No one was sure why until it was discovered that the soldiers were trying to kill your comapnion in order to get any food they had in their inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cicadalek posted:

There was also a bug that went unsolved for quite a while in Fallout: New Vegas where NCR troopers would randomly attack your Eyebot companion when you entered their camp. No one was sure why until it was discovered that the soldiers were trying to kill your comapnion in order to get any food they had in their inventory.

And there's of course that old Oblivion preview claiming a character in it was murdering for food and that made them tone down the "radiant AI."

• Locked thread