Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think I have seen a PS3 controller at walmart that has the layout of a 360 controller, is that what you want?

Something similar would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

noirstronaut posted:

Something similar would be perfect.
Yeah, I think you want something like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/dreamGEAR-PlayStation-3-Shadow-Wireless-Controller-with-Rumble-PS3-Playstation-3/21190695

or this (if you don't mind wired):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/POWER-A-PS3-ProEX-Wired-Controller-Black-PS3-Playstation-3/14962336

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Is there one of these that come with bluetooth? I actually have one like this, but it works off wireless and I think there's too many wireless signals around me (it literally will lose connection every 20 minutes)

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Ineffiable posted:

The fact that Yakuza 2 and Persona 4 came out so late in the PS2 life (and after the PS3 was out) gives me hope that we'll see the rest of the Yakuza stuff comes out here, and we still have the possibility of a surprise announcement of Persona 5 for the PS3.

We'll get Yakuza 5 quietly localized in 2014, so as to bridge the gap between 4 and 6. Then they will complain nobody bought 5 and fuss over localizing 6 before reluctantly doing so, but cutting out a huge chunk of content that they feel will not resonate with western audiences.

And we'll all lose our poo poo all over again.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ineffiable posted:

Is there one of these that come with bluetooth? I actually have one like this, but it works off wireless and I think there's too many wireless signals around me (it literally will lose connection every 20 minutes)
Bluetooth is...wireless.

But anyway yeah, I don't think that first one is bluetooth. Come to think of it, I think Sony's bluetooth interface with the controllers is proprietary and can't be copied, same as 360 controllers. I dunno why the bluetooth people stand for that though.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
This is the best third party controller I've tried personally http://amzn.com/B000O3E05Y

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They still didn't invert the thumbsticks? That seems like a no brainer.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I think it did, it was a very late PS2 game. And awesome for it.

edit: I finally got Metal Gear Rising delivered. So far I like it but not as much as Bayonetta. The camera especially is a complete bitch and is determined not to show me the enemy that is attacking me (only all the others), and the sub-weapon system is tacked-on and pointless.

Are you locking on with R2? I sometimes forgot about it in the demo, but it definitely helps when you want to target a specific enemy.

The problem with it is that it will not target an enemy that's not on screen.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snakebyte-SB904721-Wireless-Controller-PS3/dp/B002M99VDY this is by far the comfiest ps3 controller I've used. Once you get used to the elongated handles, the original ps3 controller just seems really lovely. The only downside I've found is that the wireless dongle is flimsy as gently caress, and will fall apart very easily, and Snakebyte don't seem prepared to send you replacements. Still, for only £15 they're great, as long as you remember to treat the dongle as if it were made out of paper.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: I finally got Metal Gear Rising delivered. So far I like it but not as much as Bayonetta. The camera especially is a complete bitch and is determined not to show me the enemy that is attacking me (only all the others), and the sub-weapon system is tacked-on and pointless.
The subweapons are much more useful on higher difficulties, especially the EM grenades, and are an easy way to rescue civilians. On Normal and Hard they're pretty ignorable.

I liked Bayonetta and Vanquish more but I'm loving this game even if I can barely make progress on the top difficulty level!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Seriously you think the sub weapons might be pointless.

You wont' be saying that when you have 5 to 6 guards pointing loving rockets at you in the harder modes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shindragon posted:

Seriously you think the sub weapons might be pointless.

You wont' be saying that when you have 5 to 6 guards pointing loving rockets at you in the harder modes.
I guess grenades are okay, since you can throw them without aiming (though you're gonna be hit four times while you're just in the grenade throwing animation), but rocket launches and missiles always need to be aimed right? When on earth will I have the time?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess grenades are okay, since you can throw them without aiming (though you're gonna be hit four times while you're just in the grenade throwing animation), but rocket launches and missiles always need to be aimed right? When on earth will I have the time?

I thought you could just double tap the equip button like in Arkham Asylum?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You can cancel pretty much any animation by tapping the Blade Mode button. Grenades can be thrown with a quick tap of the sub-weapon button but RPGs and the like need the aimed I think. You shouldn't use them in normal fights though, they're mainly handy for shooting flying enemies down before you start a fight.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah you'll always to aim with a rocket. I tend to use the rockets when they don't see me. Grenades and emps I use on enemies when the situation gets a bit too chaotic.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Since I'm a PS+ user again I thought I would download Super Street Fighter 2 for the hell of it, and how is it 18gb? What on earth does all of that data represent?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Since I'm a PS+ user again I thought I would download Super Street Fighter 2 for the hell of it, and how is it 18gb? What on earth does all of that data represent?

I'm guessing its like all uncompressed audio or something.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That is some hardcore uncompressed audio.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
lovely voice sampling is like a Capcom sound design trade mark going all the way back to SF2 so that's kind of surprising. Is it possible that in a fit of laziness, the game is SSFIV with the other stuff as updates or something?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

I thought you could just double tap the equip button like in Arkham Asylum?

It was already answered in the main Revengeance thread, but you can definitely double tap the button to fire off the missile launchers quickly. And they are fired at whatever you have locked on, with the benefit of homing if you are using that launcher.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's both games on the same file seperately. It's completely retarded.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm after a new game and not really sure what to get. Still having a go with the Metal Gear Rising demo and I'm not sure its what I want even if pretty much every game I've had has been a 3rd person action/shooter game of some kind. I've played the uncharted games, darksiders 1 and 2, infamous 1 and 2, dragons dogma, dark souls, sleeping dogs, the batman game, god of war 3. Any FPS games I get for the PC.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm after a new game and not really sure what to get. Still having a go with the Metal Gear Rising demo and I'm not sure its what I want even if pretty much every game I've had has been a 3rd person action/shooter game of some kind. I've played the uncharted games, darksiders 1 and 2, infamous 1 and 2, dragons dogma, dark souls, sleeping dogs, the batman game, god of war 3. Any FPS games I get for the PC.

Saints Row? You can pick up The Saboteur super cheap these days.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Scott Bakula posted:

You did Dark Souls, but not Demon's Souls? Get on that if you haven't.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/25/kingdom-hearts-hd-1-5-remix-coming-to-ps3-this-fall/

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMix is coming out here. It's the Final Mix version of Kingdom Hearts which is really neat.

Now where's KH3? :colbert:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Skeezy posted:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/25/kingdom-hearts-hd-1-5-remix-coming-to-ps3-this-fall/

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMix is coming out here. It's the Final Mix version of Kingdom Hearts which is really neat.

Hold your horses. We've got to get HD 2.5 first.

Then Versus 13 has to come out.

Then finally that team can get some work on KH3. See you on the PS4!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think Versus 13 was canceled.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Metal Gear Rising is awesome guys

Skeezy posted:

The gameplay in KH1 is so outdated at this point though. Each KH game iterates a lot on the battle system, it was stupidly simplistic in KH1.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Metal Gear Rising is awesome guys

The gameplay in KH1 is so outdated at this point though. Each KH game iterates a lot on the battle system, it was stupidly simplistic in KH1.

They're actually bringing in some changes (but it's not going to be super radical, because the engine is still pretty simple)

And I don't think that article makes it obvious but Kingdom Hearts 1.5 will have KH1, and Chain of Memories playable, and it has the cutscenes from 358/2 Days.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Also it kinda puts sand in my vagina that we are even getting a HD version of Kingdom Hearts, yet the HD versions of Final Fantasy X and XII were canned. Square-Enix is a bunch of fuckers sometimes.

FFX at least holds up really well, I can't imagine wanting to play KH1 again.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Also it kinda puts sand in my vagina that we are even getting a HD version of Kingdom Hearts, yet the HD versions of Final Fantasy X and XII were canned. Square-Enix is a bunch of fuckers sometimes.

FFX at least holds up really well, I can't imagine wanting to play KH1 again.

It's like they don't even trust the Final Fantasy name to sell anymore, yet they keep faffling around with 13, and 13-2 and Lighting Returns, and Versus 13 (which btw might have some news on it at E3 this year)

It does make some sense to have the Kingdom Hearts collection because it'll be multiple games, and the goal is to bring the series back onto one console (which is going to fail because KH3 is likely to end up on the PS4, and Versus 13 is probably PS4 as well)

FFX and XII HD would do fine as $20 downloadable titles. The same thing happened for RE4 and Code Veronica. They would also both be vastly improved by the international edition content. And it's one less reason for people to have to worry abotu keeping their PS2s around.

(edit: Where did you see that it was officially canned? It seems they're still moving forward with FFX HD at least, as they've got a Vita version planned now)
edit2: Get that sand out of your vagina for now: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201302/18028932.html. That's FFX stuff on a Vita. Also shown off this month.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 25, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

(edit: Where did you see that it was officially canned? It seems they're still moving forward with FFX HD at least, as they've got a Vita version planned now)
edit2: Get that sand out of your vagina for now: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201302/18028932.html. That's FFX stuff on a Vita. Also shown off this month.

Well that makes my morning a lot better! I remember someone saying in this thread, last year around the Tokyo Game Show, that it was canceled.

Versus 13 is for sure still going too? I wasn't entirely sure that one was still in development or not. It keeps getting moved back, and they are making a whole new Final Fantasy 13 game that wasn't even announced before Versus was. Plus that new next gen Final Fantasy game that Square showed off at E3 and then at the PS4 conference. So I think I assumed at that point it was canned.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Well that makes my morning a lot better! I remember someone saying in this thread, last year around the Tokyo Game Show, that it was canceled.

I don't think 12 was officially in the works at the moment, but it seems like a logical next step after they're done with FFX-HD.

Honestly, I'm more interested in getting to play the International edition of the game than having it in HD (which will still look nice though. It's still one of the best looking PS2 games)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've been playing the International Version on the PS2 emulator on my PC, and it's a lot of fun. The changes are great.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Versus 13 (which btw might have some news on it at E3 this year)

That's what I've told myself for the past three years :smith:

Ineffiable posted:

I don't think 12 was officially in the works at the moment, but it seems like a logical next step after they're done with FFX-HD.

Let's hope we don't have to wait for X-2 to come out first.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I'm playing Assassin's Creed 2 for the first time right now, which I've owned for... years.

Anyway, I'm really digging it (though the futuristic part of it is weird- luckily it doesn't seem to factor in so much).

I started playing it because AC 3 looks awesome. Should I play the new ones that came out between AC 2 and 3 (AKA are they good or do they add something to the story that I need), or would this thread recommend I just move right to AC 3? Given that my backlog is as big as you'd expect if I'm just now playing a game from 2009 that I've owned since shortly after it came out.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Brian Fellows posted:

I'm playing Assassin's Creed 2 for the first time right now, which I've owned for... years.

Anyway, I'm really digging it (though the futuristic part of it is weird- luckily it doesn't seem to factor in so much).

I started playing it because AC 3 looks awesome. Should I play the new ones that came out between AC 2 and 3 (AKA are they good or do they add something to the story that I need), or would this thread recommend I just move right to AC 3? Given that my backlog is as big as you'd expect if I'm just now playing a game from 2009 that I've owned since shortly after it came out.

Play Brotherhood, skip Revelations. I heard that AC3 wasn't all that great either.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Correct, FFXII HD was never announced. I do want it though - never did get to beat that game, since it looked like utter rear end on my PS3. A proper widescreen 720p 60fps version would be lovely. Though I still think they should have just done X, X-2 and XII HD with the FMVs redone and put them on one disc for $60.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Play Brotherhood, skip Revelations. I heard that AC3 wasn't all that great either.

I'm playing through AC3 for the first time now and it's alright. It's a change from having to do another Ezio thing, but there's a lot of weird things with it that make you wonder what happened.

Tree climbing is really great when it works and you can stalk and kill things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

blackguy32 posted:

AC3 was okay. It had some pacing issues with it's story, but by-and-large it's a good solid game. Running through treetops in the Frontier to leap down onto unsuspecting deer or grizzly bears is fun as hell. I would also dearly love to get a full game of some kind based around using the ship. The naval missions really feel like you're at the helm of a large sailing vessel, cannons and all.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 25, 2013

• Locked thread