Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I'd usually agree about the awkward usage of a word in a translation, but "despair" and "hope" are important enough keywords that I'm keeping them unless there's a very good reason not to. As said, "despair-inducing" (or sometimes simple "despairing") is my regular translation for "zetsubou-teki", which is how you turn despair into an adjective in Japanese.

Also, for whoever said Japanese simply didn't have as large a vocabulary for describing emotion, I'd have to doubt that -- there are certainly plenty of other words to describe a sense of helplessness, and the game uses a lot of them elsewhere in the dialogue. I'm not a native speaker, but I often have a feeling the usage of 'zetsubou' (and especially "zetsubou-teki", which is not a very natural word) is awkward there too and designed to draw attention to itself.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emery
Feb 8, 2012
I think we talked about fujoshi in the DR1 thread some specifically because it's a distinctly Japanese thing with no real direct meanings in English. Basically, it's someone who becomes a hermit, rarely if ever leaving their room, as a response to the immense and pervasive societal pressures of succeeding that Japanese culture instills, if I recall.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Fighting-Fefnir posted:

I think we talked about fujoshi in the DR1 thread some specifically because it's a distinctly Japanese thing with no real direct meanings in English. Basically, it's someone who becomes a hermit, rarely if ever leaving their room, as a response to the immense and pervasive societal pressures of succeeding that Japanese culture instills, if I recall.

That's hikikomori, Kyle.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

alcharagia posted:

That's hikikomori, Kyle.

That's right; a fujoshi's a woman who is most commonly seen as a fan of guy-on-guy relationships and their trappings. I was just wondering if there was a better definition than 'sad fangirl'.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Fighting-Fefnir posted:

You're thinking of hikikomori.

Fujoshi is something completely different. It relates to yaoi fandom. Loathe as I am to know this, in brief, it's a self-deprecating term for said fans that tends to imply shipping. It's also a pun in Japanese. :eng101::japan:

orenronen posted:

I'd usually agree about the awkward usage of a word in a translation, but "despair" and "hope" are important enough keywords that I'm keeping them unless there's a very good reason not to. As said, "despair-inducing" (or sometimes simple "despairing") is my regular translation for "zetsubou-teki", which is how you turn despair into an adjective in Japanese.

Also, for whoever said Japanese simply didn't have as large a vocabulary for describing emotion, I'd have to doubt that -- there are certainly plenty of other words to describe a sense of helplessness, and the game a lot of them elsewhere in the dialogue. I'm not a native speaker, but I often have a feeling the usage of 'zetsubou' (and especially "zetsubou-teki", which is not a very natural word) is awkward there too and designed to draw attention to itself.

Speaking personally, I never heard anyone actually use the term in Japan, just like I don't think I've ever heard someone use the word 'despair' to describe their mood in Canada so I'd agree that it's probably on purpose.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 25, 2013

Emery
Feb 8, 2012

alcharagia posted:

That's hikikomori, Kyle.

...do I know you from somewhere?

Also, yeah, my bad. It's all Greek to me. :doh:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I thought a fujoshi was one of those loincloth-diaper things samurai wore instead of underpants.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Crowetron posted:

I thought a fujoshi was one of those loincloth-diaper things samurai wore instead of underpants.

No, that`s a fundoshi. You can tell because anyone that wears one is clearly having fun.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crowetron posted:

That's a fundoshi, actually :eng101:

Dangan Ronpa 2: Let's Learn About Japan Through Murder

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

This first case seems a hell of a lot more complicated than the first case of the previous game. I pretty much knew who it was instantly. Here? Not a clue. Souda and Hanamura are higher up on the list for me, they're just too excitable, and whoever did this had to be a bit spastic. Eight times is a lot.

Also Dead End is a fantastic track :syoon:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
If I remember correctly from the previous thread, "fujoshi" literally translates to something along the lines of "rotten woman". The "fu" in "fujoshi" is also the same "fu" used in Fukawa's name.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Sensorium139 posted:

Hanamura also looks very distressed, seemingly more than everyone else. Either he's acting or something's up... I just find Hanamura extremely suspicious.
I think Hanamura's a douche, but even when taking into account DR's penchant for subverting expectations, I just can't see him as a killer. I don't see that he's "more" distressed, either, but if he is... well, he seems generally very forthcoming with his emotions. Plus, he's been in denial over the whole killing thing since it came up. It seems more likely to me that, with Togami's corpse right in front of him, poo poo just got real, and he's now forced to face it.

I really feel like Nagito is the killer, but it's mostly for meta reasons. It just makes too much sense to knock out both Togami and "Naegi" in the tutorial case, so the rest of the game is spent with the new cast. Also, his adamance toward proving that nobody killed Togami... that would include proving he didn't kill Togami, wouldn't it? He says he wants to prove nobody among them is the killer, but "proving it" doesn't mean it's true. He could very easily just be deceiving everyone from discovering who the killer was.

Miss Kalle posted:

Man I'd kinda like to nab that one with Ibuki and Souda in glasses, but I won't have funds for a week yet :saddowns:
You mean you want to get rid of Chibibuki?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RiffRaff1138 posted:

I think Hanamura's a douche, but even when taking into account DR's penchant for subverting expectations, I just can't see him as a killer.

Also remember that the murder was exceedingly brutal yet devious; while I do believe Hanamura could just snap and go hog-stickin' wild on someone, the latter bit requires that he actively plan to go under the cabin and get stabbing. That second part is what I don't think Hanamura is capable of right now.

Besides, the guy's a SHSL chef, probably with knowledge of all kinds of ingredients. If he wanted to, he could probably kill them with amazingly good food and/or poison rendered undetectable by such food.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
I wouldn't mind all the Japanese terminology if the people saying it stopped for a minute and realized it's not always clear and that there are people enjoying this thread who want to contribute to the discussion who don't know a tsundere from a Yandere and that it only takes a minute to add a link like I just did, or explain it in the post.

Alternatively:

I wouldn't mind all the Japanese terminology if the people saying it stopped for a minute and realized it's not always clear and that there are people enjoying this thread who want to contribute to the discussion who don't know a tsundere (an archetype of a character who's usually cold to someone before warming up to them) from a yandere (someone who seems loving and warm to start with, but ends up being a stalker, sometimes violent).

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Miss Kalle posted:

Also, cute sprite arts, Zyxyz! I forget if it's been asked or not, but have you considered selling those on Etsy or someplace similar? I'd love to have a couple for myself.

I hadn’t thought about it before, but I really enjoy making them and could make some for others by request. I could even make just about anything small (up to 58x58 pixels) that can be reasonably rendered in the Perler color palette, not just DR/DR2 sprites. I would probably just take orders by email and accept a small payment by PayPal.

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013

orenronen posted:

Also, for whoever said Japanese simply didn't have as large a vocabulary for describing emotion, I'd have to doubt that -- there are certainly plenty of other words to describe a sense of helplessness, and the game uses a lot of them elsewhere in the dialogue. I'm not a native speaker, but I often have a feeling the usage of 'zetsubou' (and especially "zetsubou-teki", which is not a very natural word) is awkward there too and designed to draw attention to itself.

Yeah, as a Japanese speaker, I have to agree with this choice. In what videos I've seen from both games and what I've read of the light novel (nothing that goes beyond what's in the thread but enough that I have a pretty good sense of how the Japanese 'feels'), the repeated use of "zetsubou" and "kibou" is very noticeable and quite clearly deliberate. Changing those might make the translation less awkward, but it would also be taking far too many liberties with the text, IMO.

quote:

No, that`s a fundoshi. You can tell because anyone that wears one is clearly having fun.

Except during Naked Man, perhaps... although the guys I know who have gone to it swear it is fun, somehow.

zetsubous fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 25, 2013

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Slightly late to the "I got spoiled!" discussion but I got a slightly funny story about that. A somewhat dickish friend and I used to pass notes in the "dancing men" code from Sherlock back in high school because we were some twisted version of hipsters, and he went "Hey bet you don't remember the code by heart anymore." He sent me a link to a website to refresh my memory, I read it/memorized it and went "Test me." He did.

Halfway through the message, I realized it was a coded DR2 spoiler he had made it just to be a dick and immediately stopped decoding it. For the rest of the day he tried to get me to read it in...admittedly increasingly creative ways until I decoded it out of reflex. The spoiler I was so terrified of?

Yeah, it translated to this:

quote:

Fun twist, Nagito is actually Irish and the same person as as I'm just loving with you I haven't played DR2 yet. You couldn't stop yourself from mentally translating this could you

This is the code if anybody's really, really bored.

That was far funnier to me than it had any right to. I'm still spoiler free for the game though!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Was this the same guy who spoiled DR1 for you? If so, it's good to see him using his dickishness for good :allears:

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

There are multiple reasons as to why this was a fantastic read through, but there's too may to comment on, so I'll just say, thanks guys.

This murder is really perplexing right now. Not only was the kill relatively silent (as far as we know) but there's still several important parts.

Things aren't looking good for Pekoyama's case.

Our SHSL Coach probably scrammed for the crapper when it was available. Pekopeko appeared before then if I recall correctly. The Victim died from stab wounds, carried out in a manner that was apparently silent, in which the victim didn't make any sounds of pain, indicating instant, death or an otherwise silencing stab into the throat which can assume would be part of her SHSL talents. She also dissapeared from the scene at a convenient time and was sent to where the breakers for cottage were.

However, I cant't resign myself to this just yet, there's still plenty of wiggle room. Togami could've been Gagged as he was being skewere, which theoretically anyone could do. someone would've had to prepare some form of cover for themselves, otherwise we can assume that whoever's soaking wet from a quick shower is our culprit. I'm surprised other people noticed that green substance which could be some form of illuminant.

Also, I do not think its possible to effectively stage an "under the floorboard assault" given how in the world can one see from under the floor? Do we assume there's a knothole conveniently stationed at every plank? There's enough space for a person to hide there sure, but is that enough space to merely crawl on hands and knees or is there almost walking space?

Oh, and in case DR2 feels like repeating what happaned in DR1, I might as well throw it out there that we could've been introduced to a fake Togami the whole time, and the real one is, for whatever reason, the mastermind. We shouldn't underestimate the Togami Group after all, though I myself doubt it.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Joenen posted:

Our SHSL Coach probably scrammed for the crapper when it was available. Pekopeko appeared before then if I recall correctly. The Victim died from stab wounds, carried out in a manner that was apparently silent, in which the victim didn't make any sounds of pain, indicating instant, death or an otherwise silencing stab into the throat which can assume would be part of her SHSL talents. She also dissapeared from the scene at a convenient time and was sent to where the breakers for cottage were.

Also, I do not think its possible to effectively stage an "under the floorboard assault" given how in the world can one see from under the floor? Do we assume there's a knothole conveniently stationed at every plank? There's enough space for a person to hide there sure, but is that enough space to merely crawl on hands and knees or is there almost walking space?
The wounds are all between the throat and the stomach, so whatever the reason Togami didn't scream, it is not from an attack on the throat. Also, if Peko wants to murder somebody, it is unwise of her to choose stabbing as she is the one most proficient of doing so.

As for stabbing under the floor, it has been established that the floors are old with gaps between the planks, which would be enough for a skewer to go through. Besides, there is a chance that the knife is a trap for luring Togami, or prepared by a second murderer for his/her own use, either of which case would mean somebody will go under the table and get stabbed.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

If I remember correctly from the previous thread, "fujoshi" literally translates to something along the lines of "rotten woman". The "fu" in "fujoshi" is also the same "fu" used in Fukawa's name.

"Rotten girl" was the term used, in my recollection. It was also said that a "fujoshi" is the female form of the more familiar "otaku," which apparently literally translates to "person who never leaves his house" or something along those lines.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 25, 2013

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
:v: Nagito is really pale and he is also SHSL Luck which makes the theory of him being Irish a legitimate. :tinfoil:

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 25, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I double checked what Orenonen described it as for completness' sake, so here we are.

Orenonen in DR1's second trial part 2 posted:

Syo is a self-proclaimed fujoshi. That's the female version of the otaku, usually literally translated as "rotten girl". Fujoshi like obsessing over male anime characters and read and draw manga involving them loving each other. Syo also strives to become a Kifujin. That's the term used for fujoshi who remain fangirls even as they grow older. Kifujin is a pun on a word that sounds the same and means "a noblewoman", but written with the "fu" character that means "rotten" - the same one as in "fujoshi" itself.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 18, 2014

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
I think the larger circle in the Monobear File may well indicate that it was caused by a different weapon from the others; most likely, the small circles were caused by the skewer, and the large one by the knife. The wording in the File also doesn't specify that the stabbings were all caused by one weapon, only that "The cause of death was stabbing with a sharp object" and "The victim was stabbed multiple times in the region between the abdomen and the throat." Here's my partial theory:

As has been said before, Nagito probably taped the knife under the table; if so, it's likely that he somehow tripped the breaker as well, maybe by setting up some appliances in the storage room to all turn on at once (not much evidence for this, although the murder happening close to the half-hour might be indicative). He went to recover the knife in the darkness, but Togami had already opened his box and put on the NV goggles that were inside. He attempted to stop Nagito, they struggled under the table, and Nagito stabbed him... but not fatally. It was only afterwards that another attacker stabbed him with the skewer through the floorboards several times and killed him.

This explains why Nagito was so insistent that none of the students killed Togami, and that they shouldn't bother trying forensics; he thought that he had to draw attention from himself, not realising that someone else was the actual culprit. It'll be interesting to see whether he continues on this tack, given that if he did only stab Togami once, the Monobear File has now shown him that there was a second attacker. Unfortunately, this theory doesn't really give any clues as to who the actual killer is, just that we may well get a lot of clues pointing to Nagito.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

TKMobile posted:

I just noticed that Peko said she doesn't do well with crowded places. While it's not EXACTLY the same as being claustrophobic...

It's not "not EXACTLY", it's completely different. People aren't walls.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jeek posted:

The wounds are all between the throat and the stomach, so whatever the reason Togami didn't scream, it is not from an attack on the throat. Also, if Peko wants to murder somebody, it is unwise of her to choose stabbing as she is the one most proficient of doing so.

On the diagram though, it sure looks like he got one stab right in the throat:

So I think "between the abdomen and the throat" is inclusive.

But anyway, my main question is, what's Pekoyama doing just waltzing in like nothing happened? "Oh, is that Togami?" How about "hey, who knocked me out and turned off the power?" "Why'd I wake up in the bathroom?" or something along those lines to explain why she went completely AWOL from guard duty? She better get some more interrogation from people in the next update.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

slowbeef posted:

tsundere (an archetype of a character who's usually cold to someone before warming up to them)

No, that's a kuudere. A tsundere pretends to actively dislike someone they're in love with.

deadly mawk
Sep 7, 2010

Well, I'm sure glad we've cleared that up.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Runaway Bro posted:

Well, I'm sure glad we've cleared that up.

For further information, let me post this TvTropes link that

Bifauxnen posted:

But anyway, my main question is, what's Pekoyama doing just waltzing in like nothing happened? "Oh, is that Togami?" How about "hey, who knocked me out and turned off the power?" "Why'd I wake up in the bathroom?" or something along those lines to explain why she went completely AWOL from guard duty? She better get some more interrogation from people in the next update.

It is indeed suspicious, but it can be ruled out if she has a phobia of the dark, or just have a bad sense of direction in low light levels- hell, I once got lost in my own neighbourhood when the place experienced a power cut, so why can't Peko? Besides, if she is an adept swordswoman, why would she get so stabby with Togami? Look at the poor guy- stabbed eight times, once each in the throat and gut, and then six more times for good measure. That speaks more of frantic stabbing rather than the cool, composed exterior Peko's been showing. Mind you, she could be hiding a Syo-like mentality beneath, but we might as well speculate that she's a space alien for all the proof we have.

Either that, or she took the opportunity to have some snogging time with the gangster, which is again explained by the following TvTropes link that

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Has anyone mentioned yet that the stab-wound in the middle of the abdomen has a larger radius? Two murder weapons? Two suspects?!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I think the larger one is the initial stab wound and the smaller punctures were just the murderer venting whatever feeling that led them to attack Togami.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Suzuki Method posted:

Hate to ask, but anyone reading this who's already played DR2, can someone perhaps go looking for (worksafe noncreepy) fan art of Owari for me? She's my favourite character and I'd like to probably change my avatar to her. :3:

I can't do it myself because I don't want to spoil anything.

Here you go!

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Has anyone mentioned yet that the stab-wound in the middle of the abdomen has a larger radius? Two murder weapons? Two suspects?!

Read the several posts above you right in this page, dude.

That said, how would Monobear judge if it turns out that there were two murderers trying to get Togami at the same time and neither would have succeeded without the other's attempt?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Stroth posted:

quote:

But... I still won't believe it. I won't believe one of us killed Togami-kun...
I can't believe it... I'll never believe it...
And that's why...

I'm gonna do it.
I will investigate Togami-kun's death... and prove it wasn't one of us who killed him.
Am I the only one who thinks that sounds really fuckin suspicious?

It sounds pretty similar to the declaration the protagonist makes in Umineko: When They Cry when faced with the existence of witches. Of course, such phrases aren't exactly a rarity in murder mysteries, but it may just be a reference and not meant to belie his guilt.

tiistai posted:

It's not "not EXACTLY", it's completely different. People aren't walls.

In fact it's generally a case of the opposite, agoraphobia - the fear can be driven by wide open spaces (and some people mistakenly think that's all there is to it), crowds or even the concept of leaving a designated 'safe zone' that you otherwise stay in. It's only in the extreme cases that you get the kind of reclusive person who never leaves their house (or room). Pekoyama's most likely suffering from a mild case of that.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
Monobear's line about 'Dying for someone else's ego' really interests me, actually.

It could just be about the killing, I get that, but that fact that it's about Togami specifically, and he's changed so much from the previous game, it might be about this Togami being a body double, as has been brought up before. In which case, this begs the question as to where the actual Togami is, if he's on the island at all.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I think, to help narrow down the suspects, we can go by their immediate reactions to see whether or not they had anything to do with this.

Total nonchalance?

Innocent as it gets.

Immediately making GBS threads yourself?

No worries, he's legit.

Rabies?

Guilty or no, she needs to be quarantined for everyone's safety.

:stare:

Nervous and sweaty?

Yeah, I'd buy that if you didn't already act that way all the drat time. You're on the watchlist, nurse. :colbert:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Speaking of reactions, I noticed that we haven't seen any reactions from Gundam or Akane yet.

Now Gundam, sure, that fits with what we've seen from him thus far. But Akane...? :raise:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

DaveWoo posted:

Speaking of reactions, I noticed that we haven't seen any reactions from Gundam or Akane yet.

Now Gundam, sure, that fits with what we've seen from him thus far. But Akane...? :raise:

She hasn't noticed yet. She'll realize what's going on when the food's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Didja Redo
Jan 24, 2010

Wanna try my freedom meat BBQ meat?

orenronen posted:

N...No...

...W...Why?!

N...No way...!

I...It can't be...

M...Murder...?

W...Wait! So, you mean...!

Y...You're lying...

W...What... is this?!

I...Is that... Togami?

Y...You want us to find the culprit...?

I...I won't believe it... I won't believe one of us killed Togami-kun...

W...Wait! What are you saying?!

W...What?! Did this happen because of the boots?! This is howibble!

W...What's going on...? I don't get it...!

G...Gimme a break...

U...Um... You mustn't doubt each other... You should all be friends...

I...I hate it too! I hate it and I’m scared!

D...Destroy evidence...?

U...UOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

W...What the...? What happened?

...A...Are you sure that's really it?

K...Koizumi-san...

U...Um... um...!

I...I'll do my best too! I'll do my best not to stand in anyone's way!

I...I know just enough to examine the body a little... Please, let me do what I can as a medical worker.

I...I don't believe any of it... I don't believe that Togami died...

I...I get it... I'll do what I can...

F...Fedule! C...could I make a suggestion? I...I think maybe you should c...consider...t...toning...t...this...d...down.

Unless one of the twists involves everyone having a stutter.

• Locked thread