Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Asiina posted:

If you side with the vampires then the Dawnguard will show up and attack you, which will cause everyone to be hostile towards them, so it's basically the same thing on the other side.

Also random vampire attacks still happen even if you're a vampire.

I see. For some reason people in the Skyrim threads were pretty insistent that siding with vampires would stop all the random attacks except for the occasional band of Dawnguard guys out in the wilderness. I never knew for sure because I hate being a vampire so I pretty much never side with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

The White Dragon posted:

I dunno if this is that they're worried that the player might kill NPCs who are important to THEIR ARTISTIC VISION so much as it is, "we'd better make all the quest-relevant NPCs invincible because what if the player brushes a fruit stand in Whiterun and accidentally railguns an apple into a Jarl?"

Its not even that, its "what if some NPC brushes a fruit stand and railguns an apple into the Jarl." Morrowind could get away with it because the game used relatively simple npc AI. Even if the whole Radiant AI thing was largely overrated, the jump in script complexity and NPC agency that came with Oblivion basically meant they had to flag everyone involved in the main quest so some dragon didn't jump them while they were walking through the town square and break the threads of your prophecy without you even lifting a finger.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
HelixSnake Skate 3 videos have been posted, but wAYmOBY also has some great ones:

A compilation: part one, part two.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

This, a thousand times. I wish more games had the courage to give you the freedom to break it. Tricks like sniping The End while he's in his wheelchair so he's not a boss later, making the dangerous "reverse path" run to Darkroot basin via the Valley of the Drakes in :darksouls: or juicing your way to being a demigod for ten seconds in Morrowind... that's what I want more of in single-player games.

One of the things I didn't like about Skyrim was how easy it was to turn yourself into a walking god. Once you started mixing alchemy and enchanting effects you could get into ridiculous positive feedback loops that were simply gamebreaking. You could easily fashion armor with such high health and health regen that you could never die. Or potion effects that boosted your stats to insane levels, we're talking ten million percent increases. And the price of the potions you made was so high that selling a single one would max out your speech skill in one shot.

And what you could do with weapons!

To put it into perspective, a legendary dragon (strongest enemy in game after the end boss) has about 4,300 HP. That bow can remove over 21,000 HP with each hit. And that's not even remotely the most crazy weapon I ever made.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

This, a thousand times. I wish more games had the courage to give you the freedom to break it. Tricks like sniping The End while he's in his wheelchair so he's not a boss later, making the dangerous "reverse path" run to Darkroot basin via the Valley of the Drakes in :darksouls: or juicing your way to being a demigod for ten seconds in Morrowind... that's what I want more of in single-player games.

The freedom to break a game multiplies my chances of replaying it by many many times. Morrowind is really the best example of this. You could enchant a ring of regeneration enough to where you can just walk around in the sun as a vampire (probably in terrible pain), thus not experiencing any drawbacks of vampirism other than nightmares.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

I dunno if this is that they're worried that the player might kill NPCs who are important to THEIR ARTISTIC VISION so much as it is, "we'd better make all the quest-relevant NPCs invincible because what if the player brushes a fruit stand in Whiterun and accidentally railguns an apple into a Jarl?"

I assume the issue was that since they added in a random attack enemy (the dragons) they didn't want you to be walking through town, have a dragon attack and all of a sudden you can't complete the story quest.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

:stare: how do you do this

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

:stare: how do you do this

It works through a bug in alchemy and the fact that there's no upper limit to the bonus a potion can give. Basically you put on a bunch of items that have been enchanted to improve your alchemy. Then you brew an alchemy potion called Fortify Restoration, which among other things boosts the bonus to alchemy from your items. You can then use this (temporary) bonus to craft an even stronger potion of fortify restoration, which will increase the alchemy bonus even more, allowing you to brew an even better fortify restoration and so on. When you are satisfied with your ridiculous alchemy bonus, you just craft a potion of enchanting that, when drunk, gives you a bonus of like 65535% to applying (permanent) enchantments on your items.

But even without such exploits Skyrim is ridiculously easy to break with crafting. I invested some time into smithing on my first character and by level ~15 I was fully kitted out in arms&armor made out of the second best material (ebony) in the game. For comparision, my current character only started to find these things in the wild at like level 30.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Well, they've nerfed things a bit in the last few patches, but the ability to minmax yourself to godhood is too much a part of the game to completely remove. You do need to be careful you don't overflow your stats and end up with negative values, because the game doesn't like that and weird poo poo happens. Also, the max armour you can ever have is 567, no matter what your stats tell you. But given that you can enchant your clothes to hold 10,000 health and have health regen at 500/second it doesn't make too much of a difference. I spent most of the game naked except for a necklace that gave me more hit points than Godzilla and a pair of shoes with so much stamina I could run for five minutes straight and my stamina bar would barely move.

As one poster put it ages ago:

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's all a bit spergy and obsessive but Elder Scrolls games have a proud tradition of supporting that kind of minmaxing recursive munchkin poo poo.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
It also deals 15 points of fire damage.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

It also deals 15 points of fire damage.

Targets on fire take extra damage.

The problem isn't NPCs tagged essential (although it is, but maybe New Vegas spoiled me), it's NPCs tagged essential that AREN'T. Like the old prick in the white phial quest who sends you on a suicide mission and then rewards you with five septims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkj4yop5P8

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

redmercer posted:

Targets on fire take extra damage.

The problem isn't NPCs tagged essential (although it is, but maybe New Vegas spoiled me), it's NPCs tagged essential that AREN'T. Like the old prick in the white phial quest who sends you on a suicide mission and then rewards you with five septims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkj4yop5P8

That guy is scripted to die once you finish the quest completely though (this includes the secondary "Repair the Phial" quest). So I guess they keep him around so you won't miss the stirring event of his death. :v:

A few I can think of are (I think) Viola Giordano, whose death will gently caress up your Blood on the Ice quest if one of a million other things didn't already. And some dark elf guy outside Riften who wants you to find his bow, but also happens to have a farm surrounded by trolls, giant spiders, bears, dragons... I've gotten stuck with that bow too many times because he's dead when I get there.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

NaturalLow posted:

A few I can think of are (I think) Viola Giordano, whose death will gently caress up your Blood on the Ice quest if one of a million other things didn't already. And some dark elf guy outside Riften who wants you to find his bow, but also happens to have a farm surrounded by trolls, giant spiders, bears, dragons... I've gotten stuck with that bow too many times because he's dead when I get there.

Yeah, I am surprised they didn't do a thing where all NPCs involved in any quest don't just respawn in a week or two. Its irritating as poo poo being on some sort of radiant quest and having a dragon appear after you fast travel and gently caress the whole thing up completely because everyone and their grandmother has to run to the town square and punch the dragon before you can say "no wait he's about to breath fire."

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Brother Jonathan posted:

HelixSnake Skate 3 videos have been posted, but wAYmOBY also has some great ones:

A compilation: part one, part two.

Absolutely amazing. His in game editing made me crack up a bunch because I didn't know what to expect. I need skate shoot as a ring tone.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Soulex posted:

Absolutely amazing. His in game editing made me crack up a bunch because I didn't know what to expect. I need skate shoot as a ring tone.

Hahaha, Oh man that would ensure I never answered my phone again.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

Red_Mage posted:

Yeah, I am surprised they didn't do a thing where all NPCs involved in any quest don't just respawn in a week or two. Its irritating as poo poo being on some sort of radiant quest and having a dragon appear after you fast travel and gently caress the whole thing up completely because everyone and their grandmother has to run to the town square and punch the dragon before you can say "no wait he's about to breath fire."

I never understood that bit about Radiant AI. Who thinks it's a smart idea to run up to a dragon and try and punch it. If you're a farmer the intelligent thing to do would be to run the hell away and hide. It wouldn't have been that hard to have the AI for a farmer or merchant be that much different from a soldier would it?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Digital War posted:

I never understood that bit about Radiant AI. Who thinks it's a smart idea to run up to a dragon and try and punch it. If you're a farmer the intelligent thing to do would be to run the hell away and hide. It wouldn't have been that hard to have the AI for a farmer or merchant be that much different from a soldier would it?

The people of Skyrim are a noble and proud race. Not even the children back down from the greatest of enemies.
Radiant is a poo poo system that doesn't even do 25% of what they claim.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Stuck that way for like a month now. My adepts were already level 19 and I pulled this guy from two boxes in a row. If only I liked playing as the Volus Adept. When he eventually earned level 20 he just went to having -21 points.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah, only way to fix that is to promote him.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I had a weird glitch in The Walking Dead where Shawn sort folded up into himself and disappeared into the ground after falling at the fence. Which lead to the zombies grasping at nothing and hershel sticking his head in the ground while lamenting the loss of his son. Utterly baffling.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
It's a well-written game...except on the programming side. :downsrim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=terpv-Rb4q4

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Back to the Future was similarly glitchy, that cop in the "wrong future" abruptly swapped textures with his outfit. So I had a bluish grey police officer walking around in what looked like clothes made out of skin.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Red_Mage posted:

My best Radiant AI experience was a dragon attack occurred right in the middle of my tour of the mage academy. The other wizards came out in full force and hosed it up, but I couldn't finish the quest after that because every NPC in the entire area was too busy marvelling at the skeleton, and from that point on no matter how long I waited or fast traveled, the only response I got from anyone in the area was "I think I just saw him steal its essence!" Of course this included the tour guide.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

That sounds like the worst radiant AI experience.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The best one was posted earlier in this thread (I think) where the player's companion managed to get every mage in the main hall attacking her during one of the college's early quests.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

Back to the Future was similarly glitchy, that cop in the "wrong future" abruptly swapped textures with his outfit. So I had a bluish grey police officer walking around in what looked like clothes made out of skin.

Wrong future indeed. That sounds like something out of a nightmare.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

My best Radiant AI experience was a dragon attack occurred right in the middle of my tour of the mage academy. The other wizards came out in full force and hosed it up, but I couldn't finish the quest after that because every NPC in the entire area was too busy marvelling at the skeleton, and from that point on no matter how long I waited or fast traveled, the only response I got from anyone in the area was "I think I just saw him steal its essence!" Of course this included the tour guide.

The fun side of this is watching them chase the skeleton around if you move it with a reanimation spell. :)

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

Gorilla Salad posted:

One of the things I didn't like about Skyrim was how easy it was to turn yourself into a walking god. Once you started mixing alchemy and enchanting effects you could get into ridiculous positive feedback loops that were simply gamebreaking. You could easily fashion armor with such high health and health regen that you could never die. Or potion effects that boosted your stats to insane levels, we're talking ten million percent increases. And the price of the potions you made was so high that selling a single one would max out your speech skill in one shot.

And what you could do with weapons!

To put it into perspective, a legendary dragon (strongest enemy in game after the end boss) has about 4,300 HP. That bow can remove over 21,000 HP with each hit. And that's not even remotely the most crazy weapon I ever made.

Huh, neat - never bothered to break the game this hard myself. This being said, quick question: how'd you get three enchantments on that? (Or, better put, where's the weapon that you can dissolve to get any of those as a set? Probably the absorb health/soul trap one, I'd imagine.)

Yeah, Skyrim's AI glitchiness is weird as hell - can't say I've had as much fun with it as everyone else here, though. Worst I've had is radiant quests sealing me off from aiding Aela/Farkas/Vilkas any further.

Now, Morrowind, I enjoyed shoving myself through walls and into the empty void beneath the world, before popping out right next to enemies (at least I'm pretty sure I figured out some way to rig that up. At the least, you could count on popping through a wall by accident like once a session if you jumped up and around on scenery).

Alpha1
Jun 20, 2010
He used "absorb health" and "fiery soul trap", which is basically a two for one loving awesome affect. I don't remember where to find a weapon with that enchantment though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

miscellaneous14 posted:

It's a well-written game...except on the programming side. :downsrim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=terpv-Rb4q4

"You'll be our look-out!"
*cuts to guy with only one eye, popped out of its socket*

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm a little late to WWE chat, but does anyone remember a video of a glitched match where one character gets a ladder stuck in him, and another gets thrown clear of the arena, taking about 5 minutes to walk back into the match. It was pretty long, I think Big Show was involved, but I remember finding it hilarious.

edit: I found it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AweVxT1aKY

Coffee And Pie has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Feb 26, 2013

Rocketfish
Jul 2, 2007

*pshew!*
Thanks!

Whenever I watch any of Helix Snake, I always play some Spanish guitar in the background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfSJ__7J-og

Something about soulful Latin riffs combined with visuals of a man crumpling into a singularity inside a wall really elevates the experience.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Alpha1 posted:

He used "absorb health" and "fiery soul trap", which is basically a two for one loving awesome affect. I don't remember where to find a weapon with that enchantment though.

Fiery soul trap is found on a battleaxe in Ironbind Barrow. It's supposed to be behind the throne of the last draugr boss, but sometimes the game glitches and the axe will be floating in midair where you can't reach it. You can shoot it down with an arrow if it does that.

Absorb health can be found randomly just about anywhere and is also the enchantment on the Blade of Woe (but that weapon doesn't hold a charge worth poo poo).

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
I remember seeing a hilarious glitch from ArmA or ArmA 2, I've never been able to find the video again, but it basically involved a bunch of guys standing around at the spawn discussing what their tactics for the match were over teamspeak ...

Then suddenly a tank falls out of the sky and crushes them.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

That ain't no glitch, son. That's war.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I had a good one in Dead Island just after it game, got that game was a mess. I was playing 4 player co-op and we entered some cut scene where a supporting characters father was dying/ just died and it was supposed to be a very sad affair. Probably would have been if there wasn't one of the characters in the background constantly running against the wall.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In Oblivion I had a character with 100% Chameleon and active effects that would confound NPCs as they tried to find me, so I could just walk around invisibly killing people. I could also wear a set of armour causing me to reflect all damage dealt to me except by arrows, and arrows were a weak joke in Oblivion. I resolved to play Skyrim without enchanting to have more of a challenge, and I'm currently doing quite well in a playthrough without levelling up or using magic.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

landofcake posted:

I remember seeing a hilarious glitch from ArmA or ArmA 2, I've never been able to find the video again, but it basically involved a bunch of guys standing around at the spawn discussing what their tactics for the match were over teamspeak ...

Then suddenly a tank falls out of the sky and crushes them.

Ah, that's just part of the charm of ArmA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NUHJDS0I0w

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Rocketfish posted:

Whenever I watch any of Helix Snake, I always play some Spanish guitar in the background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfSJ__7J-og

Something about soulful Latin riffs combined with visuals of a man crumpling into a singularity inside a wall really elevates the experience.

Holy dick this really does make everything better. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Bushmaori posted:

I had a good one in Dead Island just after it game, got that game was a mess. I was playing 4 player co-op and we entered some cut scene where a supporting characters father was dying/ just died and it was supposed to be a very sad affair. Probably would have been if there wasn't one of the characters in the background constantly running against the wall.

An amazing one happened during ChipCheezum and snarkcookie's stream of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeQuu8JaqLM

miscellaneous14 has a new favorite as of 23:44 on Mar 4, 2013