Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
If that top light slit just met the main lamp below it would look fine I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

awesome-express posted:

I remember reading an article written by Bangle where he emphasized the importance of defining certain animalistic physical resemblances on cars.
You mean the Bangle who made BMWs look loving ugly and who probably shouldn't be allowed more crayons anytime soon? That Bangle?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

awesome-express posted:

Hmm, that droopy door sure does make it look like a Chinese knock off in those phone pics, but I doesn't look bad from these angles.

Makes it look organic/muscular. I remember reading an article written by Bangle where he emphasized the importance of defining certain animalistic physical resemblances on cars. That's why the 1 series had that funky rocker panel/side skirt thing. Man I feel like a Chrysler spokesperson right now :psyduck:

You just blew my mind, I finally understand where the saggy doors came from.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

InitialDave posted:

You mean the Bangle who made BMWs look loving ugly and who probably shouldn't be allowed more crayons anytime soon? That Bangle?

Yeah, but he also designed the e60, a car that still looks modern as hell today, but was manufactured in goddam 2003. Bangle knows his poo poo.

EDIT: Oh and here's some e60 trivia:

quote:

The development programme for the E60 began in 1997, concluding in 2003. The final design, penned by David Arcangeli under the directorship of Chris Bangle, was approved in 2000 and German design patents filed on April 16, 2002.

EDIT 2: Ok I admit that I'm a total Bangle fanboy, but you gotta cut the dude some slack since this is what most cars looked like 10 years ago:

He kinda described the automotive design process as something that happens in two stages - evolution and then revolution. So while everyone was still doing those 90s bubbly shapes, the guy pretty much set the benchmark for design trends that we see in cars today. And that makes him kinda important.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 24, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The LS was a fine design, and mechanically and comfort-wise it's what Lincoln should have kept making instead of going back to glorified trim levels of standard Fords.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

awesome-express posted:

EDIT 2: Ok I admit that I'm a total Bangle fanboy, but you gotta cut the dude some slack since this is what most cars looked like 10 years ago:

He kinda described the automotive design process as something that happens in two stages - evolution and then revolution. So while everyone was still doing those 90s bubbly shapes, the guy pretty much set the benchmark for design trends that we see in cars today. And that makes him kinda important.

Uh, you just posted three decidedly non-bubbly cars including that Audi, which had some of the best design of its time. Why on earth would you pick those as examples of bad design?

I'm not one of those Bangle haters, but, in terms of impact, bad copies of Bangle are infinitely uglier and more horrible than all the bad copies of 80s Giugiaro designs or the jelly-bean copies of the original Taurus for the 90s. The only reason all brands have had to resort to ever-more-tortured contouring and bad copies of flame surfacing is because designs are getting so bloated and ugly that they can't get by on simple proportions now without trying to fool the eye to reduce their visual bulk.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

My point was that Bangle managed to design a car that looks modern to this day, back when most cars looked considerably worse. But that again is just my opinion. :v:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

awesome-express posted:

My point was that Bangle managed to design a car that looks modern to this day, back when most cars looked considerably worse. But that again is just my opinion. :v:

It looks modern because it was heavily copied. The front end of the E60 is honestly quite ugly, and most of the best parts of the design are the ones that most resemble the E39 - the side profile/shape, etc.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't really see how the S40 is relevant - it came out in 1995, same year as the E39. Similarly that A6 was released 1997, still a generation before the E60.

Also whether the E60 still looks modern is up for debate.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

anonumos posted:

Yo! I heard you like headlights, so...

They narrowed the selection of headlights to 3, but still couldn't decide. So they used them all.

like that but with more ugly stick

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

awesome-express posted:

Hmm, that droopy door sure does make it look like a Chinese knock off in those phone pics, but I doesn't look bad from these angles.

Makes it look organic/muscular. I remember reading an article written by Bangle where he emphasized the importance of defining certain animalistic physical resemblances on cars. That's why the 1 series had that funky rocker panel/side skirt thing. Man I feel like a Chrysler spokesperson right now :psyduck:

quote:

Sixty-one year old Frenchman Clotair Rapaille is an auto industry "guru" of sorts. European and American carmakers trust his uncanny instincts about future vehicle trends and buyer motivations. And when it comes to the phenomenal success of the sport utility vehicle in North America, Rapaille's insights are chilling.

Born just two months before the Nazi invasion of France in 1941, Rapaille's earliest childhood memory is of an American tank and the "big American with a net on his helmet and flowers [who] took me on the tank and gave me chocolates and gave me ride," he recounts to Bradsher.

After working as a consultant for Renault and Citroen, he moved to America in 1979 to become one of the industry's leading market researchers, one who specializes in psychoanalytic techniques, especially those propounded by Carl Jung. He developed an especially close relationship with Chrysler and with Bob Lutz, the hard-driving head of the company's light truck division at the time. Both men shared a common, "gut" instinct about that kind of vehicles would appeal of American buyers.

For the Jungian Rapaille, American obsession with the SUV is seated in the deep, dark reaches of the subconscious mind. The Frenchman sees the human mind divided into three levels of activity. The cortex makes intellectual assessments about a product. The limbic produces the emotional response.

Then there is the most "primitive" part of the brain thought to have been inherited from our reptilian ancestors that is concerned purely with survival and reproduction. It is this part of the human brain Rapaille sees as the silent driver of the SUV craze in America. And it is this insight that serves as the cornerstone of all marketing and sales pitches for sport utility vehicles.

"With the detachment of a foreigner, Rapaille sees Americans as increasingly fearful of crime. He acknowledges that this fear is irrational and completely ignores statistics showing that crime rates have declined considerably. He attributes the pervasive fear of crime mainly to violent television shows, violent video games and lurid discussions and images on the Internet, which make young and middle-aged Americans more focused on threats to their physical safety than they need to be." [High and Mighty, pg 95].

"'There is so much emphasis on violence -- the war is every day, everywhere,' he said in an interview two weeks before the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001."

"For Rapaille, the archetype of a sport utility vehicle reflects the reptilian desire for survival. People buy SUVs, he tells auto executives, because they are trying to look as menacing as possible to allay their fears of crime and other violence. The Jeep has always had this image around the world because of it its heavy use use in war movies and frequent appearances in newsreels from the 1940's and 1950's, and newer SUVs share the image."
http://evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=427

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

The LS is awesome, definitely the American equivalent of the E39. :confused:

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005
I think that there is some initial shock as it's not something people are used too, but I really kind of like it, if for no other reason then its different. There is only so much you can do with the front end of most vehicles before they all look the same or resemble something else. This is definately a huge departure from that imo, and I kind of welcome the change.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Honestly, the Cherokee would look rather handsome if it had a normally-contoured grill.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

asmallrabbit posted:

I think that there is some initial shock as it's not something people are used too, but I really kind of like it, if for no other reason then its different. There is only so much you can do with the front end of most vehicles before they all look the same or resemble something else. This is definately a huge departure from that imo, and I kind of welcome the change.

I disagree - it looks like basically every other car on the market now. It's a 90s Hyundai Santa Fe with the two-part light treatment from a Juke poorly grafted onto it. Hell, the Juke is very polarizing, but detailing choices aside it's a well executed design. On the jeep, the lines of the side look melty and crooked, and the rear quarter swelling looks awkward instead of graceful and/or muscular. The key here is that, even ignoring the fact that "organic" doesn't fit with the Jeep brand image or iconic design, it doesn't look organic and muscular - it looks organic and overweight. The fenders are strangely executed and the cladding looks bad. The proportions are all weird with the super long front overhangs, probably because it's based on the platform of the FWD dart instead of the classic RWD Cherokee.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
This is how you make a Jeep look sexy:

That abomination is NOT a real Jeep.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Attention haters: go to google, find some pictures of the original Compass, stare at them for a while, like as long as you can bare it. Then take a second look at the new Cherokee and re-cast judgement. Report back.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Devyl posted:

This is how you make a Jeep look sexy:

That abomination is NOT a real Jeep.

But that's bloated and ugly.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

NOTinuyasha posted:

Attention haters: go to google, find some pictures of the original Compass, stare at them for a while, like as long as you can bare it. Then take a second look at the new Cherokee and re-cast judgement. Report back.

Hmm, nope, still worse.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I dunno, looks ok to me.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I like the way the new Grand Cherokee SRT looks. Visually it strikes a good balance between its rugged Jeep roots and its mission as a performance vehicle. Here's Ralph putting it through the ringer on the track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKDl95winD0 Too bad most of them sold will never see one, but that's pretty much the case for all sport cars.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Cream_Filling posted:

Hmm, nope, still worse.

straight door lines

straight door lines

meltydoors

TTAC thinks this isn't really for American buyers who have the 4-door Wrangler and probably some Dodge thing to pick from anyway, and that it's for Euro buyers who love swoopy melty poo poo. Is Fiat bringing Jeep over to Europe in any big way?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
These shops from allpar really highlight the problem.

Although Ralph apparently is personally trying to convice everyone on twitter that they should give it a chance until it comes out in the flesh.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 25, 2013

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
The real thing looks better than the Photoshop.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Those photoshops look far worse than the actual design.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I like that Gilles mentions Moab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHvXi_HejnI

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Snowdens Secret posted:

straight door lines

straight door lines

meltydoors

TTAC thinks this isn't really for American buyers who have the 4-door Wrangler and probably some Dodge thing to pick from anyway, and that it's for Euro buyers who love swoopy melty poo poo. Is Fiat bringing Jeep over to Europe in any big way?

Dunno, aren't they winding down the Dodge brand in a big way?

With the new swoopy redesign of the Escape and the last two gens of the Forester (and Outback, really), there's now a gap in the cute ute segment for a design that's more rugged and square in shape and not a melty blob. And it's a segment that can support a wide array of choices because it sells so many. All this redesign will do is drive away brand loyalists who would otherwise buy a remade Cherokee, and I just don't see this stealing buyers from giants like the Escape/CRV/RAV4/Hyundai/Kia which offer swoopy designs that are less melty. The line about "staying true to its brand instead of chasing trends" rings true. If I wanted a weirdo front end, I'd buy a Juke, which is a better looking car.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Ugly as it is, the Juke is one of the most hideous things I've ever seen, and may be the ugliest car in production.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The original idea for the Compass was that women didn't like the butch square styling of the old jeeps, so they needed some kind of round bubblely car to appeal to them, while the Patriot (literally the same car) would appeal to traditional jeep buyers. The execution of the first gen Compass wasn't great but they had the right idea, I think. Same goes for this, I don't mind the swoopy doors and whatnot, it's pretty much where everything is going, and the 4 people who are actually looking for some live front axle mudcrawler can just buy the 4 door Wrangler. The Liberty was a sort of neither fish nor fowl type deal that didn't really fit. It was supposed to be a midsize SUV competitor but sucked at actually being a midsize SUV for 99% of midsize SUV buyers - was amazingly cramped inside and got terrible fuel economy.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

The original idea for the Compass was that women didn't like the butch square styling of the old jeeps, so they needed some kind of round bubblely car to appeal to them, while the Patriot (literally the same car) would appeal to traditional jeep buyers. The execution of the first gen Compass wasn't great but they had the right idea, I think. Same goes for this, I don't mind the swoopy doors and whatnot, it's pretty much where everything is going, and the 4 people who are actually looking for some live front axle mudcrawler can just buy the 4 door Wrangler. The Liberty was a sort of neither fish nor fowl type deal that didn't really fit. It was supposed to be a midsize SUV competitor but sucked at actually being a midsize SUV for 99% of midsize SUV buyers - was amazingly cramped inside and got terrible fuel economy.

Yes, but notably the Patriot outsold the Compass basically every single year. Sales of the Compass only improved in 2011, when the Compass was redesigned to be less fat looking with a more traditional Jeep front-end: they tripled sales after the redesign that made it look more like the old Cherokee.
code:
Year	Compass	Patriot	
2006	18,579	
2007	39,491	40,434
2008	25,349	55,654
2009	11,739	31,432
2010	15,894	38,620
2011	47,709	54,647
2012	40,235	62,010
2013YTD	3116	5248
I'd say that people who buy a non-Wrangler Jeep basically want the Jeep image and styling but don't want to pay a premium in cost/comfort for an actual off-road car. They want a butch-looking cute ute instead of a puffy or swoopy one. If they wanted a swoopy, rounded car, they'd buy one of the many, many strong competeitors.

I rented a liberty, and I do agree that its primary problem was that it sucked as a car, not due to exterior design.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

Yes, but notably the Patriot outsold the Compass basically every single year. Sales of the Compass only improved in 2011, when the Compass was redesigned to be less fat looking with a more traditional Jeep front-end: they tripled sales after the redesign that made it look more like the old Cherokee.
code:
Year	Compass	Patriot	
2006	18,579	
2007	39,491	40,434
2008	25,349	55,654
2009	11,739	31,432
2010	15,894	38,620
2011	47,709	54,647
2012	40,235	62,010
2013YTD	3116	5248
I'd say that people who buy a non-Wrangler Jeep basically want the Jeep image and styling but don't want to pay a premium in cost/comfort for an actual off-road car. They want a butch-looking cute ute instead of a puffy or swoopy one. If they wanted a swoopy, rounded car, they'd buy one of the many, many strong competeitors.

I rented a liberty, and I do agree that its primary problem was that it sucked as a car, not due to exterior design.

Once they manage to make the Compass somewhat less terrible it sold, and look, if all those people wanted patriots they would have bought them, so overall it was a success considering it didn't cost them anywhere near double the development money to almost double the sales. The old Compass was meant to look like the old GC, just like the new one is supposed to look like the new GC, the new one is just a vastly better execution. The bulbous proportions are still ugly and I can't get over that silly vertical door handle in the rear.

The Liberty and the Dodge Nitro were available with a 6 speed manual for a while, so there was that.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

Once they manage to make the Compass somewhat less terrible it sold, and look, if all those people wanted patriots they would have bought them, so overall it was a success considering it didn't cost them anywhere near double the development money to almost double the sales. The old Compass was meant to look like the old GC, just like the new one is supposed to look like the new GC, the new one is just a vastly better execution. The bulbous proportions are still ugly and I can't get over that silly vertical door handle in the rear.

The Liberty and the Dodge Nitro were available with a 6 speed manual for a while, so there was that.

Yeah, they started selling once they made them look less terrible. The Compass was basically the same as the Patriot except with more cash on the hood because they sold poorly, It's possible that a decent chunk of those people would have bought a Patriot if the price was right, since they were otherwise the exact same car. The whole scheme still sounds like a failure to me, in that the fat and bubbly styling of the Compass was received terribly and sales only picked up once it was toned down. Also, the old Compass wasn't meant to look like the old GC - the front end, at least, was consciously styled as a Playskool evocation of the classic TJ/JK Wrangler (see: round headlights), with the rest being basically a generic small SUV in the mold of the CRV or RAV-4. They thought that a bubbly Jeep would appeal to women - but this is questionable, since what would make women want to specifically buy a Jeep-brand product that was more round? In focus groups, given the choice between two Jeeps, that's what they'd say, but in practice, those same people just go out and buy Hondas, not Jeeps.

Though, now, I admit, the new Cherokee seems to beat the CRV in terms of bulbousness (though it's a close competition).

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

I cannot get over how loving ugly that Jeep is. It seems pretty clear to me that they were trying to ape the Evoque/Land Rover (I'm mainly looking at the headlights here and the "swept" design), but they have failed, spectacularly. The grille looks like some awful Jeep/BMW mutant, and why does it have 3 pairs of headlamps? God drat.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Un-l337-Pork posted:

I cannot get over how loving ugly that Jeep is. It seems pretty clear to me that they were trying to ape the Evoque/Land Rover (I'm mainly looking at the headlights here and the "swept" design), but they have failed, spectacularly. The grille looks like some awful Jeep/BMW mutant, and why does it have 3 pairs of headlamps? God drat.

I don't think 3 sets of lamps is that odd, if anything it's an emerging trend. The E class has 4 pairs, the new Altima has 3. The Audi Q7 has headlamp/foglamp/DRL-strip.

I think the problem is that the DRL strip is too high, or the headlight is too low. I'm not totally opposed to the concept. It does seem like more of a Compass or Liberty replacement than a Cherokee/Liberty though.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

AdmiralViscen posted:

I don't think 3 sets of lamps is that odd, if anything it's an emerging trend. The E class has 4 pairs, the new Altima has 3. The Audi Q7 has headlamp/foglamp/DRL-strip.

I think the problem is that the DRL strip is too high, or the headlight is too low. I'm not totally opposed to the concept. It does seem like more of a Compass or Liberty replacement than a Cherokee/Liberty though.

Does the F40 count?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

The Cizeta V16t would like a word with you all.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
In more upbeat Jeep news, the new GC SRT8 is pretty fast and can now tow 7,200lbs.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/25/2014-jeep-grand-cherokee-srt-first-drive-review/

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

angryhampster posted:

The Cizeta V16t would like a word with you all.

This is like some bizzaro car game

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
More details released on the McLaren P1: http://jalopnik.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-1-3-million-mcla-442662563

That roof :swoon:

0-62 mph under 3 seconds
0-124 mph under 7 seconds
217mph top speed
$1.3 million USD

Of course all the cool 12 year old millionaires are posting on jalopnik are complaining about its 'low' top speed. Seriously if it does ~180 who gives a gently caress after that, even if you take it to the track, which no Veyron, F1, or this will probably ever see. They will all be couped up in a sultans garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

discstickers posted:

The LS is awesome, definitely the American equivalent of the E39. :confused:

Everyone I know hates the LS, but I've always thought they had a really classy and understanded design like the old BMW's and Mercs of the 80's and 90's. I'd really like one for my next car but they all seem to be beaten to hell in my area.