Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Another good example of why you shouldn't date an ex-con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Or why you shouldn't date people who think it's a good idea to tattoo WHITE TRASH on their torso.

"Kto ne rabotaet, tot ne est (He Who Doesn’t Work, Doesn’t Eat), 1990 Aleksandr Petrovich Utkin"

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Broken Machine posted:

Was linked to this today, thought it was interesting.

It's the White House circa 1950, completely gutted while being renovated for the first time in ~150 years. Apparently they considered tearing it down and building anew as it would have been a bit less expensive, but Truman lobbied for restoration given the rich history.

More pics and article

Never seen that pic. Cool.

For those who don't know, Truman was a Mason.

When the White House reno was underway, a large number of stones turned up that bore the master's mark of the various (operative, not speculative) masons who had carved them. Truman had 48 of them set aside, and sent to the Grand Lodge of each state along with a letter of authentication, that they had come from the White House's original masons, and the letters were framed in wood taken from the floor of the old Oval Office.

There's a whole story here.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

ekuNNN posted:

Or why you shouldn't date people who think it's a good idea to tattoo WHITE TRASH on their torso.

Hell, in general, don't date dicks. I'm not sure that that can ever end well.

http://bababrinkman.bandcamp.com/track/dont-sleep-with-mean-people
http://bababrinkman.bandcamp.com/track/no-bugs-on-me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHl_Oi-u7rs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbXDJveODTk

I'm not sure how many of you guys have ever heard of Baba Brinkman, but he's generally a pretty cool guy. He does rap summaries of medieval literature and evolutionary psychology, and sometimes does more political stuff as well. I'm pretty sure that videos are fine to post in this thread? I don't want to get probated for getting this wrong... :ohdear:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Hand-signaled intersections in places that are not Pyongyang:

Dalian, China

Thimphu, Bhutan

Hanoi

Kathmandu, Nepal

Bhubaneswar, India

Kabul

Nassau, Bahamas

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 28, 2013

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's a snippet from Life Magazine detailing a scandal involving Lyndon Johnson's protege, Bobby Baker, who ran a whorehouse in DC called the Quorum Club. The best prostitute there was Elly Rometsch, an East German seductress who was "down for anything, including other girls." JFK visited her numerous times and remarked that she was "the best he ever had."

Rometsch would later be revealed to be a KGB agent. It appears JFK fell for the classic honey pot. :laugh:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The new Secretary of Defense is fairly :smug:

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

NAME REDACTED posted:

Hell, in general, don't date dicks. I'm not sure that that can ever end well.

http://bababrinkman.bandcamp.com/track/dont-sleep-with-mean-people
http://bababrinkman.bandcamp.com/track/no-bugs-on-me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHl_Oi-u7rs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbXDJveODTk

I'm not sure how many of you guys have ever heard of Baba Brinkman, but he's generally a pretty cool guy. He does rap summaries of medieval literature and evolutionary psychology, and sometimes does more political stuff as well. I'm pretty sure that videos are fine to post in this thread? I don't want to get probated for getting this wrong... :ohdear:

He's also the son of Dirk Brinkman, owner of Brinkman & Associates, one of, if not the largest tree planting companies in the world. Which is a bit less impressive than it sounds, because seriously, gently caress tree planting.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

This man is no politician. He just wants to show the North Koreans some b-ball.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

The Crotch posted:

He's also the son of Dirk Brinkman, owner of Brinkman & Associates, one of, if not the largest tree planting companies in the world. Which is a bit less impressive than it sounds, because seriously, gently caress tree planting.

Wait..."gently caress tree planting"? What part of planting trees is so bad?

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Assuming you weren't just victim blaming with this statement, that is a ridiculous criteria (especially if you live in the U.S. where we jail millions of people over the most bullshit things). She's just a really poor judge of character, probably because she was young. Abusers are known to be manipulative and she sounds like she was pretty drat vulnerable, with nobody around to give her advice or support while trying to raise two kids.

The face of pure Evil, the convicted felon!

Whoa, this kid got arrested, probably gonna amount to nothing, now.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Barometer posted:

Assuming you weren't just victim blaming with this statement, that is a ridiculous criteria (especially if you live in the U.S. where we jail millions of people over the most bullshit things). She's just a really poor judge of character, probably because she was young. Abusers are known to be manipulative and she sounds like she was pretty drat vulnerable, with nobody around to give her advice or support while trying to raise two kids.

Yeah. If you had any experience at all with manipulators/abusers, the story that goes with that essay reads straight from the playbook. Impress. Infatuate. Separate her from her support structure. Make her dependent on you. Then the inevitable.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fluffs McCloud posted:

The part where you plant the trees, mostly.

I'm not really sure how to give a good picture of it without turning this in to Bitch About My Pointless Job: The Thread. I'll just say that it has a very high rate of injury, a lot of shady companies, and an inexhaustible supply of stinging and biting insects. But it can pay pretty well. If you're particularly curious about it, you might want to check out this place, which also has a very nice collection of pictures of clearcuts from British Columbia and Alberta.

Such majesty!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Oh so it's not really "bad" it's that you do it and consider it to be unpleasant. Was kind of hoping for some wacko insight about ecology or why on earth it's bad to plant trees where you have deforested.

Although this is an oldish photo, my god what a loving awkward looking press conference.

V this is fascinating, thanks!

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 28, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fluffs McCloud posted:

It's just clear-cutters trying to whitewash the damage they do by telling you that they have the situation under control.

I have seen areas that have been "sown" with this poo poo. These do not work. :ssh:

Sometimes yes, planting crews on the ground get some results but the undergrowth usually beats out the reforestation plans. It's really hard work and costs a lot of money and is part of the renewable forests lie. Yes, they're are renewable but it takes generations and it's much easier for us to take forests out than to wait for them to regrow.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

GD_American posted:

Yeah. If you had any experience at all with manipulators/abusers, the story that goes with that essay reads straight from the playbook. Impress. Infatuate. Separate her from her support structure. Make her dependent on you. Then the inevitable.

Oh man those pictures are nauseating. You can almost feel the pain and abuse emanating from them.

Also about the tree planting, the issue is not necessarily that artificially planting trees is bad (although it kind of is, look at the ecological impacts of Johnny Appleseed), but that the narrative which states that clear-cutting forest ecologies can be remedied through planting is bad.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Did Tom Cruise join the Israeli Army?

"Don't you talk back to me!"

Keeping Israel safe, I guess.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
It doesn't work in remote areas. With Southern pine forests it works just fine. There's huge swathes of replanted forests.

It's ugly as poo poo, and sacrifices much of the supporting ecology in the area just to make a sustainable pine harvest, but it works. In a way.

Now ask about hardwoods.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think most of the places I've planted qualify as "remote", and it works about as well in the rear end in a top hat of northern Alberta as it does anywhere else, far as I know.

syscall girl posted:

It's just clear-cutters trying to whitewash the damage they do by telling you that they have the situation under control.

I have seen areas that have been "sown" with this poo poo. These do not work. :ssh:

Sometimes yes, planting crews on the ground get some results but the undergrowth usually beats out the reforestation plans. It's really hard work and costs a lot of money and is part of the renewable forests lie. Yes, they're are renewable but it takes generations and it's much easier for us to take forests out than to wait for them to regrow.
Oh, God. The loving seedling-bullets dropped from helicopters. I can just imagine some poor deer getting pegged with one of those bastards. Do people actually still try that poo poo? I only ever hear about it when old-timers are joking about all the horrible ideas mills used to have about silviculture.

Hand-planting is far-and-away the most efficient method of reforestation, but even then, a lot of what we plant doesn't make it (and I can think of one piece of land I had two years ago in particular on which I'm pretty sure none of the trees survived - gently caress you, Husky Energy), and the growing season up here is so short that those that do survive take forever to reach maturity. I've planted with people who did regen surveys in the past, but I can't remember what they said the survival rate was. But I'm sure I'll see some of them again very soon. :shepicide:

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 28, 2013

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Barometer posted:

"Don't you talk back to me!"

Keeping Israel safe, I guess.
These pictures made me cry, especially that last one. gently caress. :(

Contribution: Palestinian filmmaker and Academy Award nominee Emad Burnat, pulled out of line and detained at Los Angeles International airport on his way to the Oscars. He had to call Michael Moore to vouch for him. Buzzfeed later quoted "anonymous government sources" claiming it was a publicity stunt on Burnat's part.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

The Crotch posted:

The part where you plant the trees, mostly.

I'm not really sure how to give a good picture of it without turning this in to Bitch About My Pointless Job: The Thread. I'll just say that it has a very high rate of injury, a lot of shady companies, and an inexhaustible supply of stinging and biting insects. But it can pay pretty well. If you're particularly curious about it, you might want to check out this place, which also has a very nice collection of pictures of clearcuts from British Columbia and Alberta.

Such majesty!

Well, I'll admit, I was baiting a bit, since I'm a wood science and forestry student. I can understand the job issues, most entry level jobs in forestry seem to involve a fair amount of self punishment. I was curious to see what silvicultural issues would be brought up mainly.

Clear-cutting isn't a great practice many of the times it is used, but it does actually have it's legitimate uses, such as clearing areas where perpetual high grading has left incredibly lovely genetic stocks(portions of Western PA need this badly). Or creating areas where shade intolerant species can survive. And reforestation, while not prefect does help with a number of issues such as soil retention, stopping desertification, etc.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Is it necessary to actively replant these forests? There was a big storm all over central Europe 13 years ago that made about 25% of the forests look like this

^^
Terrible human planted conifer forest

There was only manual clearing of the fallen trees but no replanting done, and now those areas all look like this

Biodiversity of animals is way higher than it was before the storm, and in another 30 years you'd probably need to be an expert to even tell the old forest from new one.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

peak debt posted:

Is it necessary to actively replant these forests? There was a big storm all over central Europe 13 years ago that made about 25% of the forests look like this
God dammit. Firefox crash just ate my post. gist of it was: it really depends on where you are. I've been on blocks left to sit for over a decade that had nothing but grass up to my nose. I've been on blocks left for over a decade where the only green thing in sight was my boots.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 18, 2014

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Online pamphlet being shared by the Australian Greens about the next election. A disturbing number of Australians don't understand our preferential voting system, which is utterly pathetic, because it's awesome.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

The Macaroni posted:

These pictures made me cry, especially that last one. gently caress. :(

I'm sorry. :ohdear:

I searched "friendly cops" on youtube but I guess it's so unusual that youtube asked me if I meant "friendly chops", whatever that is.

Here was one;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuOg8OL5WaA

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Political trees, you say.

Context.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Earth posted:

I think it's been far too long since you've all had the opportunity to witness an insufferable twat protecting are rights. In Portland no less, where 20 somethings go to retire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugw8Py_b_HE

Wrong Portland. The one in Oregon is where young people go to retire. That one is in Maine, where young people leave to go somewhere else. Our open container laws are pretty bullshit, though. So there is that.

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Pestilence is the new pink.
^^^ drat it!

Earth posted:

I think it's been far too long since you've all had the opportunity to witness an insufferable twat protecting are rights. In Portland no less, where 20 somethings go to retire.

Wrong Portland! ;)

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Open carry people are the worst. The annoying straight-edge vegans of the gun world.

The only people I've seen open carry in AK outside of the wilderness are tourists. Watch out, poo poo might jump off at any moment in the Soldotna Alaska Taco Bell!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Earth posted:

This seems pretty reasonable to me, though? I just consider the guy to be calling attention to stupid open carry laws. (I know that's not his intention)

But remember:
Don't Talk to Police
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Emden
Oct 5, 2012

by angerbeet

"Fascism offers that leadership through which the will of the people can be effective. Thus a dictatorship of the people themselves replaces the present dictatorship of vested interests. Parliament and government are paralyzed by universal talk. Programs for which the people have voted are never implemented. As a result real government under democracy rests in the hands of the great interests, such as international finance. Fascism restores to power the people. That power can only be expressed through leadership voluntarily accepted and chosen, but armed by the people with power to do what they want done."

Sir Oswald Mosley, founder of the British Union of Fascists.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
You posted that unironically didn't you?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Emden posted:

"Fascism offers that leadership through which the will of the people can be effective. Thus a dictatorship of the people themselves replaces the present dictatorship of vested interests. Parliament and government are paralyzed by universal talk. Programs for which the people have voted are never implemented. As a result real government under democracy rests in the hands of the great interests, such as international finance. Fascism restores to power the people. That power can only be expressed through leadership voluntarily accepted and chosen, but armed by the people with power to do what they want done."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Emden posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7mRG88KPbA

Joe-Bob
May 12, 2005

GO BIG RED
College Slice

Emden posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MkRuV0aCcI

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Whoops, I forgot to include this in my reply to Emden. Problem rectified.

Cialis Railman
Apr 20, 2007

Emden posted:

Geez, you're a boring gimmick.

pop a Xanax
Oct 7, 2009

when you have a desperate need to calm down or you are stuck in a groove that is addiction

Emden posted:

Walter Benjamin posted:

The growing proletarianization of modern man and the increasing formation of masses are two aspects of the same process. Fascism attempts to organize the newly created proletarian masses without affecting the property structure which the masses strive to eliminate. Fascism sees its salvation in giving these masses not their right, but instead a chance to express themselves. The masses have a right to change property relations; Fascism seeks to give them an expression while preserving property. The logical result of Fascism is the introduction of aesthetics into political life. The violation of the masses, whom Fascism, with its Führer cult, forces to their knees, has its counterpart in the violation of an apparatus which is pressed into the production of ritual values.

All efforts to render politics aesthetic culminate in one thing: war. War and war only can set a goal for mass movements on the largest scale while respecting the traditional property system. This is the political formula for the situation. The technological formula may be stated as follows: Only war makes it possible to mobilize all of today’s technical resources while maintaining the property system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

kaschei posted:

This seems pretty reasonable to me, though? I just consider the guy to be calling attention to stupid open carry laws. (I know that's not his intention)

But remember:
Don't Talk to Police
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfuvNVpxaCQ

• Locked thread