Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Awesome thanks for the replies, I had to sell my DSite in 09 just before DQIX released so I'm glad it lived up to the hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Chance posted:

That is correct. Or at least it's the exact same behavior you get on an android phone when you have a crappy card. Though I have only noticed it on 32 gig ones from lesser known manufacturers. I just went down to a 16 gig class 10 card from lexar, cheap because it's not very high capacity, but still more than needed on the 3ds.

Thanks, I've still got the receipt so I'll head back where I bought it tomorrow and try to get an exchange. It lived long enough for me to back up its contents, at least. The card was a SanDisk, so a pretty big-name brand but one that I do see a lot of complaints about online.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Raffles posted:

Ok this is the most confusing poo poo ever so if someone could lend an informed opinion I'd much appreciate it.

So Cave Story 3D (the remade boxed release) is stupidly expensive in the UK. Like £80 on eBay. No problem I thought, I'll just download it from the eShop. It is listed but apparently "This game in not available in the eShop". Well poo poo. But there was a DSi version so I'll just download that instead. Actually nope because that got removed from the DSiware store. However they replaced it with an updated version on the eShop to fit the different 3DS screens size, which was basically a port of Cave Story+ that appeared on Steam. Except that it doesn't appear to be on the eShop at all either.

I don't know if the updated version actually got released (maybe someone with a NA 3DS can check their eShop) but to boil it down there are 3 versions of this game out there for 3DS and none are available for first hand retail in the UK. Ugh.

Buy Cave Story+ on Steam and save yourself the grief, it works on my 6 year old laptop and was like $5 when I got it on sale.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Buy Cave Story+ on Steam and save yourself the grief, it works on my 6 year old laptop and was like $5 when I got it on sale.

Hell isn't the original game still free to download? You can always do that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PonchAxis posted:

Hell isn't the original game still free to download? You can always do that.

Is it still? If it is then yeah you can always do that! I figured with all the paid versions they would have taken it down.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Yeah I've played through the original version and the Wii version in the past, I just wanted it in portable form as I'm travelling a lot recently. And also for AWESUM 3D GRAFICS!!!:krad:

I'll probably pick up Mario Kart or NSMB today instead.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I feel so super guilty, guys.

Think of all those cancer cures I couldve funded

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Gutcruncher posted:

Time to buy some shelving units. Gotta get them games on display!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God damnit what the hell did they do to Castlevania? I tried the demo today and I was not expecting a sluggish 3D beat 'em up with low FPS and boring gameplay. I really thought we were getting a new 2D Castlevania and I was so excited because it'd be really easy to do something cool by layering sprites in 3D :(

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Der Shovel posted:

God damnit what the hell did they do to Castlevania? I tried the demo today and I was not expecting a sluggish 3D beat 'em up with low FPS and boring gameplay. I really thought we were getting a new 2D Castlevania and I was so excited because it'd be really easy to do something cool by layering sprites in 3D :(

Nah, that'd be asking too much. Glad they stuck with the boring theme the 3D games have that does very little to distinguish from other 3D beat em ups like GOW, DMC and Bayonetta. Truly a progressive and game changing choice.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

They decided the 2D CV games were too fun

Louisgod posted:

Nah, that'd be asking too much. Glad they stuck with the boring theme the 3D games have that does very little to distinguish from other 3D beat em ups like GOW, DMC and Bayonetta. Truly a progressive and game changing choice.

I like DMC and Bayonetta, a lot. The 3D castlevania comes nowhere close to them though.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If I remember correctly Konami wasn't happy with how the newer Castlevanias were selling in Japan while they were still fairly popular in the west. Their first attempt to try and fix that was a shift in art style, which is why Castlevania DS had a much more anime style for its character design. This still didn't help the game while still be popular in the west so they gave the next game over to a western developer and told them to make it more western. So we got a meh god of war clone thing series reboot. The only reason I can tell of why the handheld version is 2D is to maybe trick people into thinking it's like one of the older Metroidvania style games

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 28, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I like DMC and Bayonetta, a lot. The 3D castlevania comes nowhere close to them though.

I don't think anyone was making a case that Castlevania 3D is as good as Bayonetta or even DMC. It's the sort of games Konami are trying to do.

Sales figures are all that matters. If they deem that Castlevania 3D sells more than the classic ones, you can't force your board of directors and your investors to change that direction.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Yep I was excited until I learned it was just a port down of the console beat em up and guaranteed no purchase after I played the demo. They could have loving killed it with a massive metroidvania with layered 2D sprites over 3D backgrounds.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

I forgot that NTSC DS cases are different to PAL for a second and was really confused because I wasn't even aware that many 3DS games existed.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

My point is the 3D Castlevanias do nothing more than emulate the genre, unfortunately. There's nothing spectacular about them.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Gutcruncher posted:

I can't believe you found over 20 3DS games to be worth purchasing.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Katana Gomai posted:

I can't believe you found over 20 3DS games to be worth purchasing.

Actually just a little under 20. Vanguard Princess and Pilot Wings werent worth it, at least not for the 40 bucks they each cost me. Super Street Fighter 4 was kinda not worth it too because it was outdated and hurts my hands. It's a pretty great port but man, it literally hurts to play.

Edit: Oh and RE: Mercenaries. What was I thinking

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 28, 2013

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So I'm late to this DS game, but is Code of Princess any good? The trailer makes it look like Guardian Heroes but nobody ever says anything about it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

GrandpaPants posted:

So I'm late to this DS game, but is Code of Princess any good? The trailer makes it look like Guardian Heroes but nobody ever says anything about it.

Not as good as Guardian Heroes. It's missing heart and impact, and is not clicking for most who have played it, or at least those vocal enough on the Internet. If you want to give it a try, grab it cheap.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Yeah, Code of Princess would have been worth 20 bucks I think.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
You know what, I think I'll pick up Splash or Crash. It looks pretty okay for under £3.

e: Holy crap if you get this I recommend turning off the 3D completely. The speed lines jump right out of the screen directly into your eyes so you can't see where you're going at all.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 28, 2013

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah, Code of Princess would have been worth 20 bucks I think.

That sounds about right. Online play is kind of borked, too. Causes too much slowdown.

Also, holy crap that Castlevania demo is bad. I was kind of looking forward to the game thinking it will be similar to HoD on the GBA. Nope, nothing like it. It wishes it was a real Castlevania or Metroidvania game. I might play through it when it hits like, five bucks on Amazon.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Huh, been trying the 3D out, it doesn't seem awful. Though the angle has to be just right or nope, no dice.

At least, it looks good on Fire Emblem. Haven't tried it on much else.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hazdoc posted:

Huh, been trying the 3D out, it doesn't seem awful. Though the angle has to be just right or nope, no dice.

At least, it looks good on Fire Emblem. Haven't tried it on much else.

I like the 3D with Fire Emblem myself. It's loving terrible in Etrian Odyssey IV though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I agree on the 3D effect being hit or miss, but yes, it looks so nice with Fire Emblem. They do a lot of little fire embers, or floating petals, in the foreground, which always gives a great 3D effect.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Paper Mario Sticker Star does pretty well with 3D, probably the one game I've played the most in 3D compared to the other games I have.

Orchids!
May 17, 2009

Norns posted:

I like the 3D with Fire Emblem myself. It's loving terrible in Etrian Odyssey IV though.

I totally agree, the EOIV demo looked blurry as all hell when I got to the first forest. I don't know why but every 3DS game for me either looks really good or really terrible with very little in between. Does anyone else feel this way? I do think though that I'm much more used to the 3D now than I was when I first got my 3DS, and can play in 3D for a lot longer without it bothering me. Not sure if it's me or if most of the newer games are better... for a long time the only 3DS game was OoT and I haven't played it in quite a while so I guess I should try it again and see how it feels.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I can't play Kid Icarus without at least some 3D, it really helps for judging distance. See also Mario 3D Land.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Yeah, Kid Icarus works great with 3D, but most other games with 3D enabled make me headachey if I play longer than 30 minutes or so. Kinda a shame since I like the effect, but oh well.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

I tend to play with 3D on full blast if I can, unless it's just awful like in Tales of the Abyss or Virtue's Last Reward.

Orchids!
May 17, 2009

Yeah the 3D is utilized really well in KI, that's probably the only game I have where the 3D is actually useful / makes sense in the game and isn't just a gimmick. Haven't played Starfox 3D but maybe it's the same way?

Gandalf21 posted:

I tend to play with 3D on full blast if I can, unless it's just awful like in Tales of the Abyss or Virtue's Last Reward.

I haven't played VLR yet but I'm kind of bummed to hear that the 3D sucks. :( Not that it matters too much but still.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Tales of the Abyss, it appears to have come back in stock at Gamestop and Amazon. It was starting to creep towards the $50 mark used and Amazon had it backordered for the past month.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Orchids! posted:

I totally agree, the EOIV demo looked blurry as all hell when I got to the first forest. I don't know why but every 3DS game for me either looks really good or really terrible with very little in between. Does anyone else feel this way? I do think though that I'm much more used to the 3D now than I was when I first got my 3DS, and can play in 3D for a lot longer without it bothering me. Not sure if it's me or if most of the newer games are better... for a long time the only 3DS game was OoT and I haven't played it in quite a while so I guess I should try it again and see how it feels.

EOIV's a weird case to me. The dungeons look absolutely terrible with 3D on, but battles look gorgeous. In the end I still end up keeping 3D off for it and most other games.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Orchids! posted:

I haven't played VLR yet but I'm kind of bummed to hear that the 3D sucks. :( Not that it matters too much but still.

It's not eye-searingly awful, there's just a lack of depth: the character models look flat, like cutouts in a pop-up book.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Badingading posted:

EOIV's a weird case to me. The dungeons look absolutely terrible with 3D on, but battles look gorgeous. In the end I still end up keeping 3D off for it and most other games.

I dunno, I like the 3D in the dungeons. It made it a little easier to map out things in the second area, at least.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I guess I should've read reviews of Spirit Camera before buying- I'm not mad or anything, just the scope is a lot less than I expected. A full-scale Fatal Frame game using the same or similar mechanics (like how you can look around while moving through the house by moving the 3DS around) would be killer.

Also I'm kind of bummed about the new Castlevania because I'd really like another Sorrow game with Soma Cruz. Preferably with the old Ayami Kojima artwork.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pope Guilty posted:

I guess I should've read reviews of Spirit Camera before buying- I'm not mad or anything, just the scope is a lot less than I expected. A full-scale Fatal Frame game using the same or similar mechanics (like how you can look around while moving through the house by moving the 3DS around) would be killer.

The concept doesn't even work for something like Spirit Camera, partly because the 3DS' camera sucks arse and partly because it necessitates playing in a well-lit room which is the opposite of spooky.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
Having a problem with a eShop and I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

I'm trying to download the Netflix app onto my nephew's 3DS, but the eShop on his device does not show it as available to download. In fact, the only things it displays are Swapnote and the launch titles. Underneath the launch titles is says "software not available." Searching yields nothing. I thought it needed a system update, but the system is up to date.

It's not the router, becuase my XL is on the same network and Netflix shows up for me along with a ton of other software that doesn't show up on the smaller 3ds. Anyone know what's up with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

MTV Crib Death posted:

Having a problem with a eShop and I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

I'm trying to download the Netflix app onto my nephew's 3DS, but the eShop on his device does not show it as available to download. In fact, the only things it displays are Swapnote and the launch titles. Underneath the launch titles is says "software not available." Searching yields nothing. I thought it needed a system update, but the system is up to date.

It's not the router, becuase my XL is on the same network and Netflix shows up for me along with a ton of other software that doesn't show up on the smaller 3ds. Anyone know what's up with this?

How old is your nephew? Could it possibly be parental controls or locked out due to the age he put into the device?

• Locked thread