Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is it just me or does this thread have a fair bit of the PC crowd too? I mean, just from the names I see around threads for both. My general experience is that the PC gamers lean towards PS3 since it has the most console exclusives.

For me, I have a gaming PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3, so I literally play every thing out there, and on occasion play the same games on multiple platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I was pretty much a dedicated console gamer and PS3 devotee until last year. The business model for games has become such a well oiled nickel and diming affair, I feel like I'm at Gamestop anytime I play a game now. PC just gets treated way better in terms of paying way less for much better quality. I've been totally converted. Besides PS3 exclusives, I get anything cross platform for PC now these days and will be building a good desktop instead of investing in a PS4.

To put it in perspective, I pre-ordered Tomb Raider on Steam for $45, and it came with free stuff. When it does come out, it's going to look and run much better than it would have on the PS3, where I would have payed $65 to get it new. To say nothing of the frequency of sales and price drops compared to consoles.

It all comes down to preference, as I appreciate the desire to not have to dick around with PC components to get stuff working. But for me personally, the way the business model is now, I can't do consoles.

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 1, 2013

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Ineffiable posted:

It should be in your episode list, and look for Part IV: Nirvana. (use r1 and l1 to switch between part 1-4)

I could actually play it off a fresh copy so it has to be your download hosed up or something. (and did you install the dlc too?)

Just Part I, Part II, Part III, Lost Episodes. DLC was on the main menu, then it was installed, now it's not on the main menu. I can't find any way to actually verify what DLC is or isn't installed beyond that. The PSN store interface is horrible, and gives no indication of whether or not anything is actually installed.

Maybe I should just redownload it or something.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ProfessorProf posted:

Just Part I, Part II, Part III, Lost Episodes. DLC was on the main menu, then it was installed, now it's not on the main menu. I can't find any way to actually verify what DLC is or isn't installed beyond that. The PSN store interface is horrible, and gives no indication of whether or not anything is actually installed.

Maybe I should just redownload it or something.

That is your best bet. It's all you can do at this point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

It's basically a step back from the previous games in almost every way.

A lot of the basic mechanics are crappier than those found in Brotherhood. The level design is likewise poorer and several things (such as the Perfect Sync objectives) are just awful. They altered the movement mechanics to be simpler but in a way which makes them even more boring and without much in the way to make up for it. Most of the optional mechanics are poorly implimented and they really seemed to have gone for quantity over anything interesting or well-done. It also was ridiculously glitchy at launch. If you take a look at the patches they put out they're insanely long.

The story is really stupid even for an Assassin's Creed game and Connor has the charisma of a wooden plank. You spend most of the game wishing you could play as his father who at least had a personality. They basically wasted the setting entirely and the early-city America stuff was a lot less interesting than the cities from previous games. The most interesting places were the forest areas.

The boat stuff was fuckin' great though.

I liked Connor as a protagonist, but the story really was lackluster and had pacing issues. I also agree on the last part, AC:Pirates is like a dream come true after killing Man-O-Wars with Heat Shot :yarr:.

My problem was with the ending to ACIII and what an utter left turn it was from the buildup of the series. Throughout the whole thing they've been worried about the big bad satellite launch and an final confrontation with the Templars, and it gets dropped faster than you can say "rewrite" for the push of a button (though the Abstergo mission was pretty fun). Given one of the ideas mentioned, in a moderate degree of detail no less, by Minerva involved describing how they could channel a group's focus to achieve anything they wanted, I assumed the real solution was going to be let the Templars launch the satellite. Just as a final ironic twist to the whole war between Assassins and Templars, the only way for everyone to be free and safe was a single moment of united order.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

It's basically a step back from the previous games in almost every way.

A lot of the basic mechanics are crappier than those found in Brotherhood. The level design is likewise poorer and several things (such as the Perfect Sync objectives) are just awful. They altered the movement mechanics to be simpler but in a way which makes them even more boring and without much in the way to make up for it. Most of the optional mechanics are poorly implimented and they really seemed to have gone for quantity over anything interesting or well-done. It also was ridiculously glitchy at launch. If you take a look at the patches they put out they're insanely long.

The story is really stupid even for an Assassin's Creed game and Connor has the charisma of a wooden plank. You spend most of the game wishing you could play as his father who at least had a personality. They basically wasted the setting entirely and the early-city America stuff was a lot less interesting than the cities from previous games. The most interesting places were the forest areas.

The boat stuff was fuckin' great though.
The bugs that it was chock full of were hilarious unless they were killing you or keeping you from completing required objectives. M favorite/least favorite is certain invisible lines scattered around the cities that if you crossed them, every soldier in the entire city would attack you with lethal force and not let up until either you were dead or them. Combat is so easy though that you can continue indefinitely until you are literally knee deep in corpses. I ask myself, why did they all have to die? What unseen force commanded them to decide to throw away their bright future as a soldier in the British army in a vain attempt to kill some guy who took one single step where they shouldn't have?

edit: Oh, I just noticed that this is titled AC4. To me that's an acknowledgement that AC3 was a mistake.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 1, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

October 29th is Black Flag's release date. Eurogamer took a snapshot of Ubisoft's site before it was taken down:

"Also coming to next gen-consoles"

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Also, AC3 = don't climb any building, ever. It's just not worth the trouble.

Plus, I found the wilderness just sort of tedious and not enjoyable. But Redcoats on every roof killed the game for me. I quit playing halfway and sold it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Samurai Sanders posted:

The bugs that it was chock full of were hilarious unless they were killing you or keeping you from completing required objectives. M favorite/least favorite is certain invisible lines scattered around the cities that if you crossed them, every soldier in the entire city would attack you with lethal force and not let up until either you were dead or them. Combat is so easy though that you can continue indefinitely until you are literally knee deep in corpses. I ask myself, why did they all have to die? What unseen force commanded them to decide to throw away their bright future as a soldier in the British army in a vain attempt to kill some guy who took one single step where they shouldn't have?

I don't know if it was a bug or what, but there was also the issue that, if you were running from guards, other guards would immediately see you the second they entered your radar. Like, even if you were on the roof, and the guard was patrolling under some sort of overpass at the edge of your view and facing away from you, he'd know you were there and would immediately join the chase. It meant running from a fight was no longer an option, and suddenly that game was combat-heavy because fighting was the only viable option. And the combat was still not very good, and now pretty much shoehorned you into just standing there and countering, which everyone hates.

There were also a lot of places in the cities where free running would just stop working for me. Connor would just hit the small space between two crates the he should be able to run over easily, but just stops and perches there like he's on the edge of a building. Or he'd just plain miss a pole or post and fall down to the ground. It was really frustrating.

e: The boat stuff was rad, though, and it's the only reason I'm even considering getting Black Flag.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 1, 2013

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Michael Denny (SCEE VP) let slip that Sony will be supporting the PS3 with titles like The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls and rather surprisingly Gran Turismo 6. The exact quote can be found below:

Michael Denny posted:

“Look at the games coming out on the PlayStation 3 like The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, GT6, and then on the third-party side of things another fantastic Assassin’s Creed, GTA,” Denny listed. “It’s important for our content to have that kind of longevity because, as I was saying [about the PS Vita], the games that come through are going to get better and better over time.”

Source.

Since then, IGN has contacted Sony for comments on the matter who haven't confirmed or denied what was said, instead simply stating that “In 2010, Kazunori Yamauchi confirmed that Polyphony Digital had commenced development for Gran Turismo 6. We look forward to sharing further details on this title in the near future.”

It would be nice if GT6 was one of the big guns that Sony was saving until E3 to announce, and given the comment from Michael Denny and Sony's lack of denial combined with it being 3 years since GT5 was released, it certainly seems like they could have a sequel ready to go this year. I really hope that they have both a PS3 and PS4 version ready to go however, even if it likely is wishful thinking, since a straight port to the new console that can make use of the social features would be nice, even if it didn't really look any better than the PS3 version.

Come to think of it, I'd happily settle for a PS4 port of GT5 that's locked firmly at 60fps and does full 1080p (rather than the kinda-1080p it currently runs at) with all the nice replay effects added in to the actual gameplay itself. Adding in all my favorite tracks from GT4 would be nice too :3:

MUFFlNS fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 1, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GT6 on the PS3 makes a lot of sense to me because the series is so expensive to make, and the PS4 won't have enough of a userbase yet to sell the amount of copies required. It would be a huge risk in my opinion to think that the game would sell enough PS4's as well.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

MUFFlNS posted:

Michael Denny (SCEE VP) let slip that Sony will be supporting the PS3 with titles like The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls and rather surprisingly Gran Turismo 6. The exact quote can be found below:

Source.

Since then, IGN has contacted Sony for comments on the matter who haven't confirmed or denied what was said, instead simply stating that “In 2010, Kazunori Yamauchi confirmed that Polyphony Digital had commenced development for Gran Turismo 6. We look forward to sharing further details on this title in the near future.”

It would be nice if GT6 was one of the big guns that Sony was saving until E3 to announce, and given the comment from Michael Denny and Sony's lack of denial combined with it being 3 years since GT5 was released, it certainly seems like they could have a sequel ready to go this year. I really hope that they have both a PS3 and PS4 version ready to go however, even if it likely is wishful thinking, since a straight port to the new console that can make use of the social features would be nice, even if it didn't really look any better than the PS3 version.

Come to think of it, I'd happily settle for a PS4 port of GT5 that's locked firmly at 60fps and does full 1080p (rather than the kinda-1080p it currently runs at) with all the nice replay effects added in to the actual gameplay itself. Adding in all my favorite tracks from GT4 would be nice too :3:

If GT6 is an improvement to GT5 like how GT4 was to GT3, then I will buy this on release day.

Considering that PD has done so much work in doing some super HD models of cars (and I think the tracks too?), it should be that from now on every GT game carries almost everything over from previous games and adds more on top of that. That was their plan from the beginnign wasn't it? Start working on super high renders of cars and have those last even into the next generation. Isn't there about 200 of these cars?

Course, the problem with GT5 is there's too many cars that have been imported from earlier games and have barely had any work done on it. If they can polish up those cars, and add in some new cars and tracks, I wouldn't mind if GT6 was like GT5 GOTY edition.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I honestly can't see myself wanting GT6 either way to be honest. I know Muffins and me have bashed heads over this quite a bit, but I honestly felt GT5 was a really bad, poorly made game. A lot of interesting features, none of them came together to make a coherent game that worked well. It just had so many problems with its design, that it wasn't fun at all to play.

GT5 was really poorly reviewed, and even though it had a lot of patches that fixed issues, it shouldn't have even needed that many updates to begin with. GT6 will have to be much much better for me to even consider it.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Oh no, I totally get a lot of the complaints and I have plenty of issues with GT5 myself, it's just that I still find a lot to appreciate in there as well and things that people take great issue with (such as the awful sound design) don't bother me enough to detract from the experience.

I mean the menu system is just a complete mess and A-Spec mode baffles me with their decision to repeatedly use the same small pool of tracks over and over rather than everything that's actually in the game, but then I'll race around the Nurburgring with time of day transitions or take part in an online track day and have a really good time. So for me personally it's like "Yeah, that sucks poo poo, but isn't this cool?!" :3:

I think the best thing that they could do with GT6 is a kinda back to basics approach where they get rid of a lot of the crap in the game (B-Spec, licenses, standard cars, used car dealership, merge special events with a revamped career mode etc) and just streamline it all. It's actually quite frustrating in that respect I think, since it could be utterly fantastic were it not plagued by so many design choices that leave you wondering "Why would they do that?!?" while you play.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Neo Rasa posted:

It would basically be the greatest game of this generation.

Yeah a Mad Max game with the JC2 engine would be amazing and JC3 can be prepped for next gen consoles for maximum fappage.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
As long as I can use my G27 on the PS4 [which I cannot imagine not being able to], I will buy GT6 on launch, provided I have a PS4 that is. :v: I adore GT5, and need to play it more, but I don't really have room to set the wheel up anywhere at the moment.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Looks like Beyond: Two Souls will be coming out on October 8th. And it has motherfucking Willem Dafoe in it.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Not sure this has been discussed but Beyond: Two Souls got a new trailer, revealing Wilem Defoe's character and a new release date : October 8th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4XZRe7abTs

Little bit dissapointed, but am looking forward to this game.

Edit - gently caress Beaten.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's pretty cool how they've gone so much beyond (hah) how realistic the characters looked in Heavy Rain. Awesome that they got Dafoe in this.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I love Sony's "Never Stop Playing" ad blurb. It's meaningful yet simple, but the part that cracks me up is how on it's most surface level, it's similar to a coke ad that basically said: "ALWAYS BE DRINKING COKE! NEVER STOP!"

Cracks me up!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

I love Sony's "Never Stop Playing" ad blurb. It's meaningful yet simple, but the part that cracks me up is how on it's most surface level, it's similar to a coke ad that basically said: "ALWAYS BE DRINKING COKE! NEVER STOP!"

Cracks me up!
Well, like you said, only on the surface. I see it as them trying to get to potential customers who are adults and/or women and have lapsed on playing games.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I played the God of War: Ascension demo and for better or worse it's another God of War game. Fortunately I'm not tired of the series yet so I'm in but the slight changes to combat is probably not enough for someone who didn't like 3.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Dvlos posted:

Yeah a Mad Max game with the JC2 engine would be amazing and JC3 can be prepped for next gen consoles for maximum fappage.

A Mad Max game would live or die based on how seriously the developer tries to emulate George Miller's cinematography and stunt-work.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this? posted:

I played the God of War: Ascension demo and for better or worse it's another God of War game. Fortunately I'm not tired of the series yet so I'm in but the slight changes to combat is probably not enough for someone who didn't like 3.

I thought the kick and grapple mechanics were kind of neat, but it doesn't really help in sections when the camera is zoomed out so far that Kratos and all his enemies are basically indistinguishable moving shapes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I ended up getting Assassin's Creed 2 since I'd seen a mate play a fair bit of 1. Jesus the free running is annoying as poo poo. After Infamous in particular the fact that he just keeps jumping sideways off buildings and gets severely hurt by it is really starting to annoy me. The fact he moves really fast would be good if he would catch onto things more often and it wasn't so tight about angles for jumping off things

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

-Dethstryk- posted:

Looks like Beyond: Two Souls will be coming out on October 8th. And it has motherfucking Willem Dafoe in it.

"Can't afford monster make-up? Just hire Willem Dafoe."

MUFFlNS posted:

I'd love to see a PS4 version of GT6, because without some of the technical restraints, like blocky shadows, smoke, and screen tearing, GT5 could have been a beautiful game. It was also heavily let down by it's inconsistency in the quality of its assets, with the premium cars and new tracks looking fantastic, but the majority of the content was clearly imported from the PS2 and PSP games without any improvements.

How many cars would you be able to race at once with 8GB of RAM? The last generation brought us from 6 to 16, so I'm hoping for at least 30. Also, weather and night time should be available on every track.

I'm sure we'll see all of these features in Gran Turismo 7, in 2019 :sigh:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

That loving Sned posted:

blocky shadows

If the PS4 has good looking shadows in games I will be so thrilled.

And I like boring cars in GT5. Hell, I want more of them. Not the low res cars I mean, just the basic old boring non-racing cars. That's actually something I really enjoy about the GT series, being able to abuse boring cars on the track, or race against a pack of boring cars. :P

I'm probably really weird, I guess.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Have they ever put a bus in any of the GT games? That'd be a day one purchase for me.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

And I like boring cars in GT5. Hell, I want more of them. Not the low res cars I mean, just the basic old boring non-racing cars. That's actually something I really enjoy about the GT series, being able to abuse boring cars on the track, or race against a pack of boring cars. :P

Boring cars is the best feature Gran Turismo has. The fact that I can drive my own car, the VW Golf Mk. IV, with the correct paint colour, is incredible.

Green Puddin posted:

Have they ever put a bus in any of the GT games? That'd be a day one purchase for me.

They have the Volkswagen Bus in GT5, but you need to do a completely bullshit race in order to unlock them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Can anyone comment on Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny? I used to love the old Harvest Moon games, but never got into Rune Factory. Is it basically Harvest Moon but with some dungeon crawling?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Just played the GoW Ascension demo. Being the fanboy I am, i'm very hyped for the full game. Also, transforming blades are back. I genuinely missed that from GoW III.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Cyra posted:

I was pretty much a dedicated console gamer and PS3 devotee until last year. The business model for games has become such a well oiled nickel and diming affair, I feel like I'm at Gamestop anytime I play a game now. PC just gets treated way better in terms of paying way less for much better quality. I've been totally converted. Besides PS3 exclusives, I get anything cross platform for PC now these days and will be building a good desktop instead of investing in a PS4.

To put it in perspective, I pre-ordered Tomb Raider on Steam for $45, and it came with free stuff. When it does come out, it's going to look and run much better than it would have on the PS3, where I would have payed $65 to get it new. To say nothing of the frequency of sales and price drops compared to consoles.

It all comes down to preference, as I appreciate the desire to not have to dick around with PC components to get stuff working. But for me personally, the way the business model is now, I can't do consoles.

Ahh yes, mhmm. Very interesting..

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Is Ninja Gaiden 2 (and I guess 1 as well) more about parrying than doing flashy moves? Because I just played the demo for the 360 and it reminded me quite a bit of Metal Gear Rising Revengeance except slightly slower paced.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Not sure about 2, but 1 is more about the 3 Fs:
-Flying Swallow
-Flying Swallow
-Flying Swallow

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

GUI posted:

Is Ninja Gaiden 2 (and I guess 1 as well) more about parrying than doing flashy moves? Because I just played the demo for the 360 and it reminded me quite a bit of Metal Gear Rising Revengeance except slightly slower paced.

Ninja Gaiden 1 and to a lesser extent 2 are all about blocking, people complain that it's too hard because they want to play it as a Devil May Cry game.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
So, I played Journey last night for the first time (thanks again for those free ten bucks, Sony).

:stare:

That was literally my expression the whole way through. It really reminded me of SotC, which is a good thing. If there's anyone out there who hasn't played it yet, buy it now that it's on sale. It's worth it.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Neo Rasa posted:

Can anyone comment on Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny? I used to love the old Harvest Moon games, but never got into Rune Factory. Is it basically Harvest Moon but with some dungeon crawling?

I got burned out on Tides really, really quick. Something about it made it feel way more tedious than other Harvest Moon or Rune Factory games, and that's with the actual farming taking a backseat. Discovering islands with the golemn is fun at first, but after a few you just want the drat things to pop up and be done with it. Same deal with capturing monsters, building up your farming islands, and gaining hearts with townspeople: neat at first but then just annoying. The story is goofy, too, even for a Harvest Moon game.

Unfortunately, the best Rune Factory game is only on the DS (RF3), and the best modern HM game is only on Wii (Animal Parade).

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

-Flying Swallow
-Flying Swallow
-Flying Swallow
You also occasionally block, and dodge to exploit its invuln frames against the brown ninja sticky grenades

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

-Flying Swallow
-Flying Swallow
-Flying Swallow

On normal.

On very hard and beyond there are enemies that exist to counter this move specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I've had my PS3 for a few months, but haven't used it much. Figured I'd pick up some new games. If I've understood correctly, newer PS3's can't play PS2 games, is that correct? Also, what are the best jrpg's for the PS3?

• Locked thread