Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
A fire door that seals off the corridor seems like a BAD IDEA given the lack of exits from the sealed-off area. It's a clue, but we need testimony or evidence that it was closed during the blackout (and why would it close, there was no fire, just a power outage), for it to be a useful clue.

Hanamura is a good suspect. He had easy access to the storage room (and spare tablecloth) and the irons, and before the party got going, he could have been in the lodge preparing, giving him the opportunity to tamper with the AC systems, and of course, he could have tampered with Peko's food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

The main thing to be gained from poisoning Peko, aside from creating a scapegoat, would be that the breakers would be left unattended to, keeping the blackout going longer than it would otherwise. This creates a bit of a paradox, since Nagito's the main suspect for the blackout, but Hanamura's the one that was in the best position to poison the food, which is what the game seems to be implying got Peko sick, since it made an evidence bullet about only Akane and Peko eating it.

Mainly, this creates complications in the idea that Hanamura was working independently from Nagito. Regardless of what happened with it, though, it only raises suspicion on both of our suspect.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Nagito saying "Ow!" has gotta be the key here. Was it from Togami doing something to Nagito or somebody going after Nagito and Togami intervening?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Why would the murderer even need to hide a tablecloth like that? It doesn't matter how messy they leave the crime scene when it's a closed-room murder full of other people who have no idea who did the stabbing. Just shove it under the table along with Togami's bloody body, who cares?

Unless the tablecloth was already in the storage room! A spare one, left in the laundry. Nagito could have rushed over there to wipe off some blood before anybody saw it. Since he was the one who said the last "Ow!" he might have injured himself in the scuffle with Togami. Not expecting Togami to rush him with night-vision, or not expecting someone else to stab him with a skewer, Nagito could have slipped and cut himself on his own knife in the confusion. If it wasn't a serious cut and on somewhere like the palm of his hand, he could have hidden it long enough to dash off to the storage room and grab something out of the laundry to stop the bleeding.

But that's a lot of blood for just a cut on his hand or something... still the best guess I've got, though. Whether or not this detail is correct, Nagito saying the last "Ow!" is a big clue that he was involved somehow when Togami got killed.

Edit for one quick thing I forgot: the poisoned food only affecting Pekoyama might be some SHSL bad luck for Nagito. We were all surprised too that no one else had bothered eating any yet, how could Nagito plan for who would eat and how much? (except Akane... with all she ate I think it's just her SHSL werewolf powers or something protecting her for comedy value) I think whoever planted the poison would've been trying to just poison everybody. Maybe someone who was planning to use a skewer to stab someone lying on the ground?

Bifauxnen fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 2, 2013

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
My guess is that the bloody tablecloth would explain why someone under the floorboards, stabbing through them, would not appear to have blood all over them when re-appearing after and thus having a more convincing alibi.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
I'm suspicious about Nidai and Pekoyama's need to go to the toilet. They seem like the two most capable fighters in the island. Maybe they ate something that was bad? Also, that knife might come from the main lodge's kitchen

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Ok, it has to be Nagito. Not only is he the only one who would have had the time to set up all of the power surge, but he found and tampered with the irons and was sitting around watching the current time on the party room's ac unit.

The only major downside to the theory is that he wouldn't have been able to reset the circuit breaker after testing the fuses pre-party. Only Nidai is probably that tall?

I suppose that maybe Peko could hit the switch with her non-conducting wooden sword?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
It's gotta be Souda. He was the one freaking out the hardest beforehand. As a mechanic, he's got at least a passing familiarity with electrical systems, probably more than enough to know how to overload an old breaker. He's so sure that it had to be Pekoyama, and that nobody could trip that breaker, he set himself up a great alibi. What's more, the game is giving us two very obvious suspects in not-Naegi and Gangster-duder, I would be very suspect of how easily they're painting those two as possibilities. My money is on Souda.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A good rule of thumb when dealing with helpful character in murder mysteries is to analyze the type of help they are giving. If they're leading you to evidence that wouldn't have been found anyway and are interpreting them in ways that don't necessarily make them look good, they're likely being genuinely helpful. This is the case with Nagito, particularly in regards to the irons. As the one who found and unplugged them on his own, he had no motivation to leave them together and point them out to Hinata if he'd been the one to set them up. Nagito isn't the killer.

I'm in agreement with Captain Bravo - Souda's the killer. This is the first case, so it's not unlikely that the killer will overplay their hand and Souda has already begun to do so with his suspicions of Pekoyama. Combine this with his technical knowhow, and he's the most likely suspect.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

It's gotta be between Chef Boyardee or Nagito, they were the only people at the lodge all day (Nagito cleaning, Chef cooking). Nagito SAYS he didn't spend much time in the back closet where the irons were, but it's also the first place he went after the lights came back on so maybe he did know they were there. The only issue is the bloody tablecloth - he wouldn't have put it there earlier in the day I'm sure, and someone would have noticed if he was carrying it after Togami was murdered, so it may be related to the huge meat on the bone which points suspicion on Chefguy - hopefully we can verify that Nidai actually did kill a cow for him, if we can find him before the trial and he's not pooping his intestines out. With so many falling ill though it's definitely suspicious of Chefdude - if he DID get Nidai to do the cow he may have given him some poisoned food as 'thanks' to try to keep him out of the way during the party.

There's a LOT of threads going on here though, personally I wouldn't be surprised to find out the first trial of the new game to be a double homicide with two different suspects (we STILL haven't seen gangster-dude since like the morning or whatever).

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I don't really follow speculation and theories but it'll be pretty funny if it turns out to be the mechanic since he's very similar to Leon from the first game. Immediately trying to pin the whole thing on someone else is probably the most suspicious thing anyone can do in a murder mystery.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

Indecisive posted:

It's gotta be between Chef Boyardee or Nagito, they were the only people at the lodge all day (Nagito cleaning, Chef cooking). Nagito SAYS he didn't spend much time in the back closet where the irons were, but it's also the first place he went after the lights came back on so maybe he did know they were there. The only issue is the bloody tablecloth - he wouldn't have put it there earlier in the day I'm sure, and someone would have noticed if he was carrying it after Togami was murdered, so it may be related to the huge meat on the bone which points suspicion on Chefguy - hopefully we can verify that Nidai actually did kill a cow for him, if we can find him before the trial and he's not pooping his intestines out. With so many falling ill though it's definitely suspicious of Chefdude - if he DID get Nidai to do the cow he may have given him some poisoned food as 'thanks' to try to keep him out of the way during the party.
I get the feeling that the Chef would have too much pride in his cooking to ruin the party with a murder. Meanwhile with every word Nagito says he gets more and more suspicious, such as when he "didn't notice" the blood on the tablecloth, or when he said he unplugged the irons and that the culprit must've done it, even though Nagito told everyone not to go in there. Even Hinata mentioned at the end of this update that Nagito seemed off.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Togami yelling and Nagito going "Ow" does make it seem as if they were fighting. And of course Nagito could have smuggled the knife in and set everything up beforehand.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

orenronen posted:

I see! It seals the area! This is just like when you surround a house with plastic bottles!
...Well, that's for cats.

Yes, that's a real thing. A Japanese superstition says stray cats don't like hanging around bottles full of water. You still see private yards surrounded by them in rural areas from time to time.

My folks used to do the exact same thing to keep stray cats out of the garden! Advocated by my grandmother. Total bullshit, completely didn't work, it was supposedly their distorted reflections would spook them out and prevent them hanging around to do their little kitty poos in the flower beds. Interesting to know people use the same completely useless old folk tricks on the other side of the world.

Seems clear the power was tripped by a timed overload with the irons and air conditioning etc., and on top of that Nagito's looking really suspicious what with him having ample time to set up the knife taped under the table, and the circuit breaker, as well as his strange bits of dialogue regarding the bloody tablecloth and other bits that even Hinata has started to pick up on.

What's bizarre to me though that if Nagito did trip the power to kill Togami, why point out that the irons had been plugged in earlier when he checked? He totally had opportunity to throw them back in the piles of boxes and cover it up rather than put Hinata on the right trail. I'm thinking that for a ridiculous depart from the first game's 'let's all try to be friends' beginning maybe there were in fact several students plotting to kill Togami/someone else, and the dodgy food, power outage, and actual stabbing were all done by seperate people with no knowledge of each other.

Also, there's totally a way under the floorboards from the locked toilet I bet.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Nagito is such a bizarre character. He's so suspicious I find it hard to believe he has anything to do with this one.

I'm a fan of how human Souda has turned out to be, and how proactive Hinata is compared to Naegi. Hinata has an actual personality, it's quite nice.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Right now I think we can discredit Pekoyama as a possible killer. Peko and Akane were the only ones who ate during this time and my bet is Peko's food was tainted in advance to make her stomach upset. Her dramatic exit only affirms that. Souda's finger pointing is looking suspicious, but honestly I think that's just his paranoia and quick judgment talking. Remember at the very beginning of the chapter how he was too afraid to even leave his cabin? He can either be a frantic killer or a cowardly guy pointing fingers too fast and I'm more inclined to go with the latter.

I'm still thinking Hanamura is the culprit. Pekoyama's stomach problems prove that her food was tampered with, as she was the only one of two to eat and ate by herself. Poisoning all the dining room food would make Hanamura stand out like a sore thumb, but just one person getting sick on her own and away from the group wouldn't draw too much suspicion on him. Along with that she is one of the three capable physical fighters and is actually trained to fight people and defend herself (Akane and Nidai are more sports inclined, but Peko is a trained swordsman with her own practice sword). Yes the goal is not to get caught, but lets be honest here Hanamura isn't exactly the smartest guy. If one person got sick then he could just say it was a single case and attributed to Peko's own weak stomach. It failed because we found out the bathroom was locked when Nidai tried to go all of the sudden. Peko doesn't seem like she wants to admit her own stomach problems, so I guess it will be a big point during the trial to draw that out of her and affirm where she was during the blackout.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
I could totally see Nidai killing a cow with his bare hands. Anyway, I'm thinking that Hanmura is probably the killer, what with the anger issues he seems to have, the likelyhood of poisoning Peko, possibly Nidai if he did kill that cow for the party, and Akane, if she is poisoned, and the timing. After all, he could have set up the AC in the office and the hall as well as the irons so as to cause the blackout, with the AC done before the party and the irons before he returned to the kitchen. I'm just going to guess that Souda is a red herring based primarily on his similarity to Leon. Also, I like how Hajime points out how he could be the murderer, just to show how naive Nagito is.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Hold on just a minute here!

orenronen posted:

Nevetheless... this is a surprisingly complete list, isn't it?
There's even a barbecue griddle and a portable hot-pot stove in this kitchen.
But there isn't a single thing on it that seems like it could be connected to the case. We should move on.
I googled "portable hot-pot stove" just in case but from what I know these things don't need eletricity right? So why didn't Hanamura use it to see in the dark?

Ok I was more on the Nagito side because I just couldn't figure it out how Hanamura could go under the floor when its all dark(I don't think there's another pair of night googles hidden somewhere) but with this I think it would give enough light to move around in the darkness and that bloody tablecloth means that someone outside of the people in the party room used it to not get dirty with blood, and if it was someone from outside the loudge they wouldn't have put the tablecloth in the basket I think.

That only leaves Peko and Hanamura and since it looks like Peko was in the toilet....only Hanamura is left without a alibi.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Glazius posted:

Bloody tablecloth, huh. So Togami... no, I still don't think he could have been moved. That would make a lot of noise and require a great deal of strength.

Could have rolled him in it or done it with two people, like a gurney. That means that Togami could have been blinded, killed, and moved under the table. Maybe while rolling a pig in a blanket the culprit had to push aside Mikan, Hiyoko, and Nagito? Judging by Mahiru's pictures they were between Togami and the place his body was found. Also, killing someone by stabs to the front then rolling them in a carpet and hiding the body strikes me as a gangland style murder.

I still think it was Peko and Kuzuryuu. She could have just bought herself an alibi and cast suspicion on Teruteru by acting sick or dosing her takeaway food. She could have remotely set the AC unit to beep as a signal to turn all those irons to high and cause the blackout, or she could've flipped the breakers with her practice sword standing on the duralumin case and set the irons on while ditching the bloody table cloth to implicate Teruteru, who was closest to the storage room.

I think it's cool that Monobear would hose the culprit(s) by taking away their time for scrubbing evidence and/or fleeing the scene. That to me implies that it was actually a quite well thought out and executed murder if the sadistic all-seeing host decides to throw the investigators a bone like that. I suppose it'd be pretty unsatisfying if no one got despaired before they failed the first investigation, because what even are the odds of the kids finding the body that's hidden under a table in the dark if they physically can't turn the lights back on? They'd have to run all the way to the supermarket to grab flashlights and probably wouldn't find the body until it started to smell (which turned out to be sooner than expected due to SHSL talents).

Teruteru's calling out during the blackout might save his pervy rear end from getting implicated, because he was in the wrong room at the crucial moment. It occurred to me that "if I were in this situation, telling everyone to roll call out their own name a lot ala Marco Polo would hose over a lot of murder attempts. or 'Help I'm being murdered!' whenever anyone touched you." That Peko didn't make a sound during the blackout is super suspicious to me. I mean being apparently poisoned by an expert cook then having the power go out while I was dealing with it would freak me the gently caress out.

Also if Nagito is the culprit he must love digging his own grave for all the times he's admitted to loving with the crime scene or "hey we should leave this no-doubt key evidence you just found or are about to find."

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Armanky posted:

-There is a bloody tablecloth in the hamper! I... have no clue with this one, but it sure does complicate matters. The tablecloth under which the body was found is already bloody, so where the hell did this one come from?

Does answer the "How did the killer manage to get away without any obvious signs of blood on his clothes or hands or anything?" question pretty well -- used the extra tablecloth to keep blood from getting on him/her.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nagito: "Here are some irons that were used to create a blackout. Now, ignore the blood-soaked tablecloth."

I'm not sure if he is the murderer, but he certainly seems to have an agenda.

Keep in mind that this is still the tutorial trial, though. It isn't as insultingly simple as having the murderer's name written in blood, but it isn't necessary to overthink it either.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I think that the key piece of evidence might be the fire doors.

The fire doors were between the main hall and the kitchen door. If we get evidence that they closed during the blackout, then Hanamura is the killer. I think the way under the floor boards is in the storage room or maybe even the kitchen.

It might also speak to Hanamura's plan. He had the time to set up the AC units to go off at the same time, and he had the opportunity to plug in the irons after the party started and get a tablecloth to cover himself with. His plan was probably to take advantage of a much longer period of darkness and slip under the table (he was short so it might be a bit easier for him to get the knife, stab someone, then get out).

But he didn't anticipate that the fire doors would shut during the blackout. So he had to use a backup plan. He had a skewer stashed somewhere, and knew of a way under the floor. He goes under the main hall, responds to people talking - I don't know why - and... somehow he perceived there was someone under the table, and he stabbed them with the skewer.

However, I don't know why Togami would be under the table in this instance.

If there was evidence the fire doors were closed, it contradicts his own and Ibuki's testimony that he was in the main hall.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Monobear is such a nice bear!

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

IceBorg posted:

Hold on just a minute here!

I googled "portable hot-pot stove" just in case but from what I know these things don't need eletricity right? So why didn't Hanamura use it to see in the dark?

Probably because they're hotplates and wouldn't give out much light, even if it had already warmed up.

Edit:

HelloWinter posted:

:stare:

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

IceBorg posted:

that bloody tablecloth means that someone outside of the people in the party room used it to not get dirty with blood, and if it was someone from outside the loudge they wouldn't have put the tablecloth in the basket I think.

Yeah, I think this pretty much rules out Kuzuryuu.

MUTEkI posted:

Does answer the "How did the killer manage to get away without any obvious signs of blood on his clothes or hands or anything?" question pretty well -- used the extra tablecloth to keep blood from getting on him/her.

The question at this point would be how it got into the storage room. I get the impression someone would have noticed if Nagito had a tablecloth with him when they were looking for Togami. I think Hanamura is much more suspicious.

Let's look at other parts of it. People have brought up that the kind of knife that's laying by the body is probably a cooking knife. None of the knives were missing in either of the checks done before and after the murder, so it's likely this is one from the hotel kitchen. That doesn't completely implicate Hanamura, because other people have had access to that stuff as well.

He's probably pretty familiar with overloading a circuit breaker. He knew the range was electric, and consumes a lot of power. Then, just get as much other stuff to go off at the same time as possible, which would be easy. The irons weren't actually plugged in when we ducked into the storage room before the party in update 22. It could be an art error, but until that's proven to be the case, I think it'd be wrong to assume so. Whoever plugged it in needed an easy way to duck into the storage room and plug them in. The kitchen allows easy access to the storage room without being seen by party-goers. The A/C units are pretty obvious. Since he was cooking in the kitchen for much of the day, setting the A/C units to go off would be pretty easy for him to do. He'd probably have to do the one in the party room when Nagito was getting the carpet from the store.

If you look at the story given by Hanamura and the updates, you can see that he has a really weird explanation for what he did during the power outage. He was in the kitchen, then the power went out so he followed the wall to verify that it was out in other rooms. That makes sense. We hear him during the outage and his story follows that pretty well. Then, after he sees that it's out at the party, he goes back to the kitchen?? He wasn't there for the Tsumiki fanservice fall after the power came back on, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to resist making a comment (like he did during the first one -- update 15). That's pretty odd. Why would you leave the room in the dark?

Hanamura coming in the dark with an extra tablecloth would probably explain Togami's comments during the outage, but wouldn't really explain Nagito's "ow." It doesn't explain how/if the fire doors or bathroom fit into this all (if they even do). Also, why Togami would be UNDER the table in an outage is a complete mystery. Could Togami have seen Hanamura making a move on Nagito in the dark, gone to break it up, and somehow ended up underneath the table?

...And that was more words about this game than I had any intention of posting when I started this reply.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

HelloWinter posted:

Oh my. That's certainly something. And that was fast in drawing, nice work.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

eating only apples posted:

I'm a fan of how human Souda has turned out to be, and how proactive Hinata is compared to Naegi. Hinata has an actual personality, it's quite nice.

Character-wise, I think one of the most interesting contrasts he's got going on is his active suspicion of the "We need to trust our friends if we're going to escape from this" attitude that DR1 advocated what with its fake ending and all.

IceBorg posted:

I wouldn't want to light a portable gas stove in absolute blackness, let alone carry one around as a light source. It'd be awkward to hold and your fingers would be right next to a burning flame. If you could even hold onto the thing without it getting hot enough that your reflexes would force you to drop it. Using the stove as a light isn't a realistic possibility.

MUTEkI posted:

The thing about the tablecloth is that it seems to imply a premeditated murder without giving us very much of an idea how the killer could have planned anything. It doesn't ever seem to have been present for an opportunistic killer to take advantage of for this specific purpose. If it was available somehow, we're missing some really important context. So, as a clue it's actually pretty troublesome. Let's try to fit it into the main competing theories going on right now: knife-killer or skewer-killer.

Say you planted the knife and that you planned on grabbing it during the lights-out, only for Togami to chase you under the table. Then, either you kill him or someone else skewers him through the floor, splashing you with blood. Fortunately, you had the completely magical foresight to have known that you'd get splashed by blood while under the table like this, you knew with 100% certainty that Togami would follow you and get killed, somehow! So you hid a tablecloth alongside the knife to wrap yourself in to prevent your clothes from getting bloody, which would place you at the scene of the crime. You then dispose of the tablecloth but not the knife or any other evidence because ~*reasons*~. Or alternatively, say you're one of the people not even in the main hall and are planning on going for the knife, so you could grab a tablecloth from elsewhere. Again, it'd take a magical amount of foresight to know for sure you'd get chased under the table and thus need shielding from blood-splatter- this doesn't solve our problem.

Say you're a killer lurking under the floor who somehow has foreknowledge that someone is going to go after the knife, and you plan to kill that person with the skewer when they go for it (assume you can tell when someone's above you somehow). You realize that blood might drip through the floor onto you so you drape yourself with the sheet in preparation. You do the deed, then for ~*reasons*~ you leave your hiding spot that no one else has even realized exists, take your bloody tablecloth to the storage room, then leave it there, completely failing to realize if you'd just left it under the floor people would be less likely to find it.

Both of these are pretty ridiculous. So how does the tablecloth actually fit into things? Beats me. But I can neither imagine that the killer had it with them specifically to prevent themselves from getting bloodied, nor imagine that the killer suddenly realized they'd get bloodied and grabbed it at the moment of the crime to prevent that.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

quote:

It's gross and grotesque!

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

HelloWinter posted:

Darn, you beat me. :)

Monobear's final form-!

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
While I'm leaning towards Hanamura, Nidai is a bit suspicious. Why would he be so desperate to use the bathroom if he's not one of the two who ate the diarrhea food?

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

HelloWinter posted:

Aw man. I was thinking more of a human Centipede thing when he said that.

Awesome art as always Winter!

Suzuki: Also awesome art!

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Ok people have given me some answers about the portable stove and how it wouldn't work as a realistic guide in the dark....but then I'm still lost on how Hanamura could have went underground and back with out a single piece of light to guide him. Unless his pervert nature gave him night-vision.

HelloWinter posted:

Great art as always! But you totally missed a chance to include a One Piece reference in there. :colbert:

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
What triggers those fire doors? Do they trigger in case of fire, or did someone have to manually activate them? Automatic activation in case of blackout? Heck, we don't even know if they close to block the main hall, but I'm assuming they do since we've apparently seen all the rooms in the lodge (except the bathroom).

One possible combination of evidence: culprit uses the portable stove to somehow light a makeshift torch, allowing them to navigate in the dark.

If the fire doors /are/ somehow automatically locked by the presence of fire (yet there are no battery-operated fire alarms?), maybe the presence of such a torch activated them.

In speculation more of what is immediately about to occur, I wonder if anyone has any idea what we'll actually hope to find in Togami's lodge? I wasn't expecting to search there at all; maybe Nagito is just trying to keep Hinata from uncovering more evidence that would indicate Nagito either murdered or attempted to murder Togami (I think he was pretty clearly up to something at this point). There's always the possibility that Nagito's cheerful indication of trust of Hinata is deflecting the fact that Nagito plans to attack Hinata, but that's probably not the case.

Maybe we'll find nothing related to the murder, but accidentally run into more overarching plot evidence of what Togami was doing here on the island in the first place?

Sensorium139
Feb 19, 2013

Suzuki Method posted:

Darn, you beat me. :)

Monobear's final form-!

Welp I know what will be in my nightmares tonight...

Anyway, Nidai's not suspicious to me as he's been like the person to get the poop urges like at the worst times and has had issues with that before. I still think Hanamura just laced Peko's food to get away with this somehow but I'm not sure how he got away with it with no light either. Like the night vision goggle location doesn't make sense for the stab location. I feel like he's just incredibly suspicious and I don't now if it's because he's just really creepy to me or if I am legitimately onto something. I think it is his access to the arsenal of kitchen utensils but hell I don't know, it's just setting me off.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This business about only 2 people eating the food was really bugging me. But looking back at the earlier updates, it checks out. It looks like the others really didn't have a chance to eat yet while Akane was devouring everything at the first possible second:

orenronen posted:

...Why aren't you eating? If you don't I’m gonna finish everything by myself!
I'm still bringing the food in, so don't worry - there's plenty more!
Hey, everyone! Since we're all here, should I take some pictures?
Oh, how wonderful! Please do!

The others are still standing back and only have drinks in their hands, which we can also see in Mahiru's 2 photos:

Although Akane started devouring everything at the first second and wondered why the others aren't joining in, Hanamura's still bringing more, so they don't seem to be in a rush. And immediately after that comment, Mahiru takes her photos, which are shortly followed by the blackout.

How's Akane doing now? Peko would've had first dibs at the food once she walked off with her personal plate, while Akane was busy drooling and whining about how she still had to wait. Peko has a bit of a head start, so maybe Akane just hasn't started showing her own symptoms yet.

But there's actually one other person Nagito distinctly failed to mention, who definitely got a faceful of food:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Rawkking posted:

What triggers those fire doors? Do they trigger in case of fire, or did someone have to manually activate them? Automatic activation in case of blackout? Heck, we don't even know if they close to block the main hall, but I'm assuming they do since we've apparently seen all the rooms in the lodge (except the bathroom).

Doors I've seen of this sort use an electromagnetic lock to stay open during normal conditions. This leads to a fail-safe in a power outage, given that a fire could easily also cause a power failure. It's presumably also how they operate to respond to fire as well (cut the magnet).

It's probably a way to either restrict the killer from heading that way, slowing Hanamura from entering the room, or exposing Hanamura as having already been in the room, depending on how easy the fire doors are to operate.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Didn't the Monobear report mention Togami hadn't been poisoned at all? Guess that rules out Peko getting sick from the food.

Ndi
Oct 9, 2012

The answer is small bombs!

orenronen posted:

Party Food

Assorted varieties of party food Hanamura worked hard to make. Despite its quality, Owari and Pekoyama were the only two to eat any of it.

People have been taking this as evidence that Hanamura poisoned the food, but I'm wondering if it isn't evidence that Peko is faking her bowel issues. Owari seemed just fine last we saw her, and she should be much worse off than Peko is. "I was pooping" is not that terrible as far as alibis go, especially when Nidai made sure everyone knew that the bathroom was occupied. Souda's insistence on her guilt is suspicious, but I think he's too similar to Leon to be the culprit this time around. Another little trick murder mysteries do is have characters outright state something true in a way that makes you discount it as a possibility. Souda's one of my favorites, so I also might be searching for evidence of his innocence.

This case is really interesting so far. A huge amount of characters seem guilty, but none of the pieces quite fit together. I'm thinking that there were multiple murder plots in play, and that the person who killed Togami took advantage of the blackout that someone else (probably Nagito) orchestrated. It's a way for a culprit to have an "accomplice" of sorts, and could make for really interesting story stuff in future chapters. I loved Case 4 in the first game, but I hated that we never saw much fallout to Asahina's attempt to kill everyone by Monobear. I'd love to see how characters react if a few failed murder plots are revealed during the trial.

HelloWinter posted:

You are wonderful. That bit has had me imagining what Junji Ito might do with Dangan Ronpa.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Brony Hunter posted:

Didn't the Monobear report mention Togami hadn't been poisoned at all? Guess that rules out Peko getting sick from the food.

It does mention that. It doesn't necessarily rule out her getting sick from the food, but it probably would mean that if her food was poisoned or spiked with laxatives, then she was the specific target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Brony Hunter posted:

Maybe whatever it was doesn't count as "poison"... actually, the real reason this point bugged me so much is because a laxative would explain Nidai's problem, but he didn't eat anything. I just remembered though, his issues with the crapper go back to the very first update, so this seems to be a running theme completely unrelated to the murder. He just forgot to go before the party and paid the price.

We really need to see how Akane's doing. Her sprite was visible in the room after Togami's murder, but she hasn't said anything, and she didn't appear to be present anymore once the official investigation started. Maybe she's off being sick somewhere now that it caught up with her.

• Locked thread