Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

KetTarma posted:

No one really cares about PE for EEs it seems. The only time you see it is in job postings where they say "Must have a degree in electrical engineering or similar that is FE eligible for EE"

I have no idea why they word it like that since South Carolina doesnt allow engineering technology degrees to take the FE unless they jump through impossible hoops.
It depends on the field. In some subfields of EE, PE license in very important. In others, it might as well not exist. Really depends what specific field you're working in.

Nobody ever really seems to care about masters for working engineers. It's more about the management side. Do, don't get an MSEE, get an MBA.

grover fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

genderstomper58 posted:

O ok

Just seems like grad school while working isn't a big problem so rest easy mate! : - )

around here most people ask about EIT and if PE is a goal more than grad school, which makes sense to me

A friend of mine is a CE with a masters in structural. He said he needed the masters unless he just wanted to design wastewater holding tanks and roads.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

A friend of mine is a CE with a masters in structural. He said he needed the masters unless he just wanted to design wastewater holding tanks and roads.

A friend of mine(psydude) said that in order to get a good job, you should major in something stupid and pointless, and any job you want will be open. So do that

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

genderstomper58 posted:

A friend of mine(psydude) said that in order to get a good job, you should major in something stupid and pointless, and any job you want will be open. So do that

Oh okay. This should be in the OP. Its good advice.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
This does not belong in the thread.

dennis4167
Mar 30, 2008
On May 20th, 2013, I will have exhausted all of my education benefits under chapter 30. I only served active duty for 9 months and 16 days before getting involuntarily seperated - honorably discharged. My question is is will I be eligible to any chapter 33 education benefits after I have used up all of my chapter 30? Thanks

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

dennis4167 posted:

On May 20th, 2013, I will have exhausted all of my education benefits under chapter 30. I only served active duty for 9 months and 16 days before getting involuntarily seperated - honorably discharged. My question is is will I be eligible to any chapter 33 education benefits after I have used up all of my chapter 30? Thanks

Do you have a disability rating at all?

dennis4167
Mar 30, 2008
On October 26th, 2012, I filed a disability claim with the county vso. The latest news about my claim from ebenefits says that it is has been 'brokered' (not sure what this means I am slow) from Oakland to Lincoln, NE and that it is under 'Regulatory or Procedural' review and that the regional office is unable to to provide an estimated completion date for this type of claim. So I do not have a disability rating from the VA.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

dennis4167 posted:

On October 26th, 2012, I filed a disability claim with the county vso. The latest news about my claim from ebenefits says that it is has been 'brokered' (not sure what this means I am slow) from Oakland to Lincoln, NE and that it is under 'Regulatory or Procedural' review and that the regional office is unable to to provide an estimated completion date for this type of claim. So I do not have a disability rating from the VA.

It will probably be quite awhile before that is completed, depending on your region but expect at least a year. :/

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Assuming that your MGIB benefits were at the full amount, and I suspect they were, you should be able to apply for extension to Post 9/11 at the full rate.

People that are involuntarily separated under CH30 were usually done at the full amount, >36 months, regardless of their actual TOS.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 4, 2013

dennis4167
Mar 30, 2008
I talked with a person on the phone from the VA and she told me to submit a 22-1990 and put the effective date as May 22nd, 2013. She said she cannot tell me about my chapter 33 benefits over the phone and I just to submit a 22-1990 and see what the VA says to determine if I am eligible for CH 33 benefits. Yes I am currently receiving the full monthly amount for MGIC benefits and when you say full rate what do you mean? I was under the impression that I would be eligible for 50% rating of chapter 33 because I only served 9 months 16 days which is greater than 6 < 12 and thus why it would give me that rating. I am unsure of how many months I would be entitled to but I do recall the vso at my school saying that it would be 27 months. Thanks

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If you're on Voc Rehab and you're jumping through hoops to get your laptop, I don't know what to tell you. I met my VR counselor at Office Depot, picked out a laptop, printer, some cartridges, MS Office, and a case, and the manager knew the counselor by name and had all the protection plan poo poo (they paid for all of that!) ready for us at the register.

I signed two sheets of paper, the receipt, and was on my way. I even wanted to buy him lunch but he wouldn't bend on that (ethics violation). It took all of 15 minutes.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

dennis4167 posted:

I talked with a person on the phone from the VA and she told me to submit a 22-1990 and put the effective date as May 22nd, 2013. She said she cannot tell me about my chapter 33 benefits over the phone and I just to submit a 22-1990 and see what the VA says to determine if I am eligible for CH 33 benefits. Yes I am currently receiving the full monthly amount for MGIC benefits and when you say full rate what do you mean? I was under the impression that I would be eligible for 50% rating of chapter 33 because I only served 9 months 16 days which is greater than 6 < 12 and thus why it would give me that rating. I am unsure of how many months I would be entitled to but I do recall the vso at my school saying that it would be 27 months. Thanks

MGIB actually has two different tiers of benefits, for those with <36 months and 36 months or more. Depending on how you were separated, you more than likely were given the top tier. If that's the case, it would translate to 100% Post 9/11. It does depend though on what the VA says, because there's all sorts of behind-the-scenes sorcery at hand.

If you've completely exhausted your 36 months of MGIB, you're entitled to 12 months of Post 9/11.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
How many months can I sit on unemployment without telling them I'm in school, realistically? (For the state of Oregon)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

How many months can I sit on unemployment without telling them I'm in school, realistically? (For the state of Oregon)

Technically, you can't ever. It is often illegal to hide your status for the purpose of collecting unemployment, or at the very least, against the rules.

However, they don't really have a way of checking this status, and some states don't even care if you're a student in the first place so long as you're still looking for work.

So do with that as you want.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Does the GI bill pay for CLEP exams?

Due to a mixup between my community college and my 4 year college, I might receive credit for English101 twice instead of English101 and English102. SOMEONE got confused about AP exam policies and transfer policies (despite me calling around to make sure it was going to work out)

It seems that now there's a problem. gah..

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

KetTarma posted:

Does the GI bill pay for CLEP exams?

Yes. They cover the test fee (usually 75 bucks or so), but they don't cover whatever admin fee the school giving the test charges (20 in my case). It's a reimbursement- you pay for the test, take it, send everything off and get reimbursed.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Good. I'm still super pissed off right now.

When I started back to college, I was going to do 2 years at a community college and 2 years at a 4year.
The CC gave me credit for Eng102 because of my AP exam scores AFTER discussing it with my 4year school to make sure they were awarding credit the same.
I took Eng101 and am taking Eng201 and 202.

Now that I'm transferring to my 4year school, the 4year school is wanting to give me AP credit for English101 and just not counting the English101 I took at the CC despite the fact that not 6 months ago, they said they would give me credit for 102 and not 101.

Go loving figure.

I guess the worst case scenario is that I have to go and take a CLEP for HOW DO I WRITE ENGLISH???, pass it, then move on.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Yeah just be grateful they're not doing that the other way. I don't know if you can CLEP out of Eng 102.

Some schools waive that for adult students passing aptitude tests, don't they?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

My school lets you CLEP Eng102 with a 50 on the College Composition CLEP so long as you don't try to apply more than 6 CLEP credits total.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
University of Washington didn't let me transfer any of my CLEP credits. I had like 6 tests done. gently caress that.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
Well, everything turned out great at my end. My tuition arrived at Texas State University mid-February, so I received all the grant money already paid to them and was able to squirrel that away to cover expenses during this semester. My $500 book stipend showed up in February, too, so I was able to pay my mother back after she covered my books, which was a relief. The first BAH payments came in and March 1st had my February BAH in promptly.

I received a letter stating how much my BAH was ($1398- THANK GOD, because my husband decided to suddenly quit his manager job and become a trucker, which means all the GI Bill money I thought I'd be able to save is now supporting the family while he is in school :bang: ) and it stated that as long as I was registered full-time for classes from now on that my payments will be automatic and paid at the beginning of the semesters (or something).

Other than making sure I do my FAFSA each year and showing up at the VA office at my school with my class schedule, is there anything else I am supposed to be filing with them each term? I went by their office the other day but it was busy, so I thought I'd drop in here and ask.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Svanja posted:

Well, everything turned out great at my end. My tuition arrived at Texas State University mid-February, so I received all the grant money already paid to them and was able to squirrel that away to cover expenses during this semester. My $500 book stipend showed up in February, too, so I was able to pay my mother back after she covered my books, which was a relief. The first BAH payments came in and March 1st had my February BAH in promptly.

I received a letter stating how much my BAH was ($1398- THANK GOD, because my husband decided to suddenly quit his manager job and become a trucker, which means all the GI Bill money I thought I'd be able to save is now supporting the family while he is in school :bang: ) and it stated that as long as I was registered full-time for classes from now on that my payments will be automatic and paid at the beginning of the semesters (or something).

Other than making sure I do my FAFSA each year and showing up at the VA office at my school with my class schedule, is there anything else I am supposed to be filing with them each term? I went by their office the other day but it was busy, so I thought I'd drop in here and ask.

So long as your certificates are sent off in a timely manner, everything should be smooth sailing. Make sure that when you register for a new term (like how Fall is coming up shortly) that you inform your certifying official of your status. They can send certificates off up to 120 days (well ok, 119 days) in advance, so if your fall term starts mid-august they can do it around mid/late april.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
Thank you so much! That is great to hear!

dennis4167
Mar 30, 2008

Vasudus posted:

MGIB actually has two different tiers of benefits, for those with <36 months and 36 months or more. Depending on how you were separated, you more than likely were given the top tier. If that's the case, it would translate to 100% Post 9/11. It does depend though on what the VA says, because there's all sorts of behind-the-scenes sorcery at hand.

If you've completely exhausted your 36 months of MGIB, you're entitled to 12 months of Post 9/11.

Today I talked to the VSO at my school and filled out a 22-1990 to apply for chapter 33 benefits since I will have exhausted all of my chapter 30 benefits at the end of this term. He said he is unsure if I will be eligible for more education benefits after I have used up all my chapter 30 because the VA has to adjudicate and determine I am eligible. Nevertheless, I have submitted the 22-1990 and have to meet with the county VSO with all the documents I have related to my disability claim when I get my 2nd letter he said (I received notice on ebenefits of what they need from me but he told me to wait until the letter but if it doesnt come by march 20th let him know because my 'Suspense' date is April 4.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Call your state and tell them immediately. It's against the law to lie about your current status.

However when I was on Unemployment in SC and decided to go to school in Baltimore the SC rep told me that as long as going to school doesn't impede me looking for a job that I can still collect my unemployment. I straight up asked "If I'm a full time student and I'm collecting GI Bill Benefits I can also collect my unemployment benefits as well?" and she told me that yes I can as long as I looked for a job and then filed my weekly status report through the online interface.

I never did it because it felt extremely loving wrong but talk to whoever your rep is in Oregon about it.

Also I just got an e-mail about the closing of Tuition Assistance because of the sequester since I'm pretty active in my universities vet club meetings, that.....uh doesn't apply to 9/11 benefits right?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Correct, Post 9/11 (or any GI Bill) is not going anywhere.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
VA benefit programs are exempt from sequestration. The VA itself is not though, so I would expect further staff cuts and additional processing delays in the not so distant future.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

Correct, Post 9/11 (or any GI Bill) is not going anywhere.

Can you elaborate on that a bit? Like is it because both parties realize it's political suicide or is there something far more to it than just that?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

Can you elaborate on that a bit? Like is it because both parties realize it's political suicide or is there something far more to it than just that?

It's under non discretionary funding. Gonna take a whole lot more than a budget shortfall to change that. It's also political suicide.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I'd god drat riot.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Along with everybody else in this thread

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Zomodok posted:

Along with everybody else in this thread
Are you a civilian already? drat, time flies.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Just wanted to post in this thread for the irony.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

holocaust bloopers posted:

OMB posted:

The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) issued a letter stating that “all programs administered by the VA, including Veterans’ Medicare Care, are exempt from sequestration under Section 255(b).”

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

grover posted:

Are you a civilian already? drat, time flies.

I'm about a year off from graduating, yeah time really does fly :smith:

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Good to know that the government teat will never run dry.

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
I submitted my VONAPP on Feb 18th and received a confirmation number and everything, but I haven't heard anything since. Does it usually take longer? Should I even hear back from them or do they just inform the school?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

scavok posted:

I submitted my VONAPP on Feb 18th and received a confirmation number and everything, but I haven't heard anything since. Does it usually take longer? Should I even hear back from them or do they just inform the school?

It usually takes around 5-7 weeks to get a response in the mail for your certificate. If you sent it on the 18th of Feb, your window starts somewhere around the 25th of March. Wouldn't worry just yet.

You will get your certificate in the mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Earlier there was some talk of a full year of study being problematic to benefits. Is this to insinuate that summer classes can be a negative thing?

• Locked thread