Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Oh for gently caress's sake. This is even more distasteful to me than the 'Moochelle Teehee Monkey Monkey friend of the family' stuff because the poor kid is DEAD. Although I guess I shouldn't expect people who can't respect someone because of their skin color to be respectful of a dead kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yep, Zimmerman was a good upstanding citizen who only does crimes like launder money and attempt to flee the country when he is in jail.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
So I haven't quite worked up te bravery to register and see for myself but as far as I can tell it's just basically one giant circle jerk to racist, homophobic, and xenophobic macros. Am I very far off?

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
I haven't followed the Trayvon Martin stuff beyond the initial outrage about Zimmerman not being charged with murdering a child after he murdered a child:

Is there any validity to the talking points about the kid being a MMA fighter raining down punches in the mount position/high on purple drank/a drug dealer/a bad kid who didn't put his action figures away after playing with them/etc, or is that sort of thing just poo poo people made up to justify their approval of a self-appointed neighborhood watch psychopath murdering a child?

HackerJoeGuy
Apr 18, 2007

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. This is even more distasteful to me than the 'Moochelle Teehee Monkey Monkey friend of the family' stuff because the poor kid is DEAD. Although I guess I shouldn't expect people who can't respect someone because of their skin color to be respectful of a dead kid.

Don't forget you're talking about a group who actively support Zimmerman financially and whose leaders said "If George Zimmerman had been standing as security, none of this would have happened" after the Sandy Hook shooting.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

HollisBrown posted:

So I haven't quite worked up te bravery to register and see for myself but as far as I can tell it's just basically one giant circle jerk to racist, homophobic, and xenophobic macros. Am I very far off?

You forgot misogynist, but yeah.

Tim Selaty Jr fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 3, 2013

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Yup...I was all set for a good night of TPC trolling, then I saw that and immediately lost my taste for it.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey, ButtonJ! Since you chose guns as your example to show that the Tea Party isn't totally nuts, I have a question that I've been dying to ask a conservative about guns.

Totally, totally hypothetical, but what would it take for you to be like "yeah, y'know what? gently caress guns"? I'm not trying to be snarky here. I legit want to know. Most liberals, I think, have reached their "gently caress guns" threshold and I was wondering what yours would be, or if you even have one. Would it take several Sandy Hooks? Several coordinated high-level assassinations carried out by citizens? States attempting to secede and clashing with the military? Since this is hypothetical, your answer doesn't have to be a thing that will ever realistically happen. I just want to know what your limit would be no matter how far flung; I assume it would be at some point before everyone in the country was shot to death.

Follow up question: based on the phrasing of the second amendment, which seems to indicate that the right to bear arms is so that militias can be called up to defend the country, if need be, where does the Tea Partier/conservative idea (and I'm generalizing here) that we're allowed to keep guns in case we have to overthrow our government if it gets too tyrannical come from? Why didn't they phrase it such as, I dunno, "In keeping with the need for the people to protect themselves from tyranny, the right to bear arms shall not be infringed" or something? As it stands, it really seems like your movement is reading "we may need to call up a militia to defend the country" as "we may need to shoot the government for not voting the way we like". And that's kinda scary.

Follow up follow up question: why do conservatives think the 2nd amendment is the only thing standing between our current way of life and despotism? Lots of countries have out and out gun BANS (not just moderate restrictions like we're wanting to put in place) and enjoy the same freedoms, if not more, than we do. Why do Tea Party types think that America would collapse if not for guns? If your answer to this is "American exceptionalism", isn't that supposed to refer to America being special and awesome, not a hair's breadth away from collapse?

Final follow up follow up follow up question: why do conservatives think that America is headed towards Soviet-style authoritarian communism just because we elected a black dude who is to the right of Bill Clinton on many issues? Surely they realize that there are countries that are a good deal more left wing than us that aren't even remotely communist...

HollisBrown posted:

Add in the fact that half of the people circlejerking are trolls and Chief Keef scarin' white folks and you've got a pretty good handle on TPC.

C.C.C.P. fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 3, 2013

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

I Fought The Mom posted:

I haven't followed the Trayvon Martin stuff beyond the initial outrage about Zimmerman not being charged with murdering a child after he murdered a child:

Is there any validity to the talking points about the kid being a MMA fighter raining down punches in the mount position/high on purple drank/a drug dealer/a bad kid who didn't put his action figures away after playing with them/etc, or is that sort of thing just poo poo people made up to justify their approval of a self-appointed neighborhood watch psychopath murdering a child?

It was pretty much a giant misunderstanding that lead to the murder of a child and a gross negligence case by the local police. But the kid had once been suspended from school because of evidence that he at one point had :siren: WEED :siren: in his possession, so of course every Just World believing Conservative thinks he deserves it and Zimmerman is a national hero. They could not care less about the in-between, just that another potentially weed smoking criminal had been vanquished by a Stalwart defender of Good. Who happened to commit perjury and tried to soften his bail by lying to judges and getting his girlfriend to launder money and flee the country. Also he beats women. You know, good old-fashioned morals.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Paul is still at it.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Skaw posted:

It was pretty much a giant misunderstanding that lead to the murder of a child and a gross negligence case by the local police. But the kid had once been suspended from school because of evidence that he at one point had :siren: WEED :siren: in his possession, so of course every Just World believing Conservative thinks he deserves it and Zimmerman is a national hero. They could not care less about the in-between, just that another potentially weed smoking criminal had been vanquished by a Stalwart defender of Good. Who happened to commit perjury and tried to soften his bail by lying to judges and getting his girlfriend to launder money and flee the country. Also he beats women. You know, good old-fashioned morals.

Didn't Zimmermann also sexually molest his cousin? Or did that thing get shot down?

Edited so as not to be as :downs:

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 3, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Parallax Scroll posted:

Paul is still at it.

My big question: How low do you have to go to attack someone? They are not satisfied at attacking ONE guy, they gotta attack his WIFE too?

Real big men there.

EDIT: Mah spellin'

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 3, 2013

Wet and ready
Feb 12, 2013

Got your Back!
Trust Me.
Please, nothing racist:

I despise these people so much.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

My big question: How low do you half to go to attack someone? They are not satisfied at attacking ONE guy, they gotta attack his WIFE too?

Real big men there.

Well, you know, how dare a black woman be in such a prestigious social position? :bahgawd:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

OH LOVELY. I remember the part of the bible where Jesus pointed and laughed at the lepurs. How Christian it is to gloat at the sick and the suffering. :rolleyes:

You know, if it weren't for your archaic beliefs causing the US government under the Reagan administration to drag its loving feet on HIV/AIDS awareness and research, and to this day STILL stymieing sex ed on basic condom usage & safe sex practices, we'd have a lot fewer homosexuals suffering from HIV/AIDs or even having died in mass numbers during the outbreak in the 80s.

Oh and according to the CDC, that rise in HIV/AIDS infection is affecting straight people too, and the cause is pretty clear - it's regressive asswipes like you getting squeamish about discussing condoms & safe sex practices actively shutting down any frank open sex ed discussion thereby dooming kids to a complete lack of awareness: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...g-young-people/

quote:

Young people “know they need to be talking about condoms,” Patrick Packer, then the executive director of the Southern AIDS Coalition, told FRONTLINE in the film. “But the leaders on school boards, the leaders in their community are putting up barriers for them to have frank and honest discussions about information that’s going to keep them safe.

PS - gently caress YOU.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 3, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

TLM3101 posted:

Didn't he also sexually molest his cousin? Or did that thing get shot down?

I think it was actually zimmerman who allegedly molested his cousin.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

CommieGIR posted:

My big question: How low do you half to go to attack someone? They are not satisfied at attacking ONE guy, they gotta attack his WIFE too?

Real big men there.

Because literally half a cent per year of MY MONEY goes to pay Barack's salary and that darn Moochelle is wasting it by buying clothes and I'm too dumb to realize that they were multi-multi millionaires long before Barack became president.

But yeah, welfare president/Moochelle is so ghetto/what a thug/they're black

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The truth is that liberals more or less left Laura Bush and Nancy Reagan alone. HW's wife got some mild flack for being a hoity toity aristocrat but that was the same flack HW got and nowhere even remotely in the same ballpark NEAR the amount that Michele gets. Of course, this isn't true to the average Teapublican. They've called Michele a "fat rear end pig" "welfare queen" "gorilla" "angry black woman" "chewbacca" "street thug" (to use nothing but 100% Grade A TPC quotes there) so much that they just feel in their guts that liberals must have done much worse.

And never discount the guts of your average Teabagger; those same guts keep the rascal scooter industry afloat when they aren't acting as an "n-word-with-3-g's" detector.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

C.C.C.P. posted:

The truth is that liberals more or less left Laura Bush and Nancy Reagan alone. Of course, this isn't true to the average Teapublican. They're called Michele a "fat rear end pig" "welfare queen" "gorilla" "angry black woman" "chewbacca" (to use nothing but 100% Grade A TPC quotes there) so much that they just feel in their guts that liberals must have done much worse.

And never discount the guts of your average Teabagger; those same guts keep the rascal scooter industry afloat when they aren't acting as an "n-word-with-3-g's" detector.

There is a very bizzarre false equivalency that the new conservatives believe. They think for instance that MSNBC is every bit as biased and untruthful as FOX so they can justify watching it. They believe that Bush was attacked with the same vileness that they are attacking Obama with. They think that every other social outlet is so anti-right that they need to form their own communities (see:TPC). It's really nothing more than a paranoid, persecution complex.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Paradox Personified posted:

Ohhhhhhh, Vienna, Circlejerk.

Hahaha, thanks, I haven't heard that song in ages. And now I have the feeling there's something I should be crossing off a bucket list.

LostInTheSauce
Feb 14, 2013

Which way did I go?

HollisBrown posted:

It's really nothing more than a paranoid, persecution complex.

It's a situation they created themselves by making it clear that they considered anyone who wasn't in lockstep both subhuman, a traitor and are loud about it. Not expecting people to react with hostility to that is kinda like assuming that when you shoot yourself in the head the gun will misfire, "because it usually does!"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Spacedad posted:

OH LOVELY. I remember the part of the bible where Jesus pointed and laughed at the lepurs. How Christian it is to gloat at the sick and the suffering. :rolleyes:

You know, if it weren't for your archaic beliefs causing the US government under the Reagan administration to drag its loving feet on HIV/AIDS awareness and research, and to this day STILL stymieing sex ed on basic condom usage & safe sex practices, we'd have a lot fewer homosexuals suffering from HIV/AIDs or even having died in mass numbers during the outbreak in the 80s.

Oh and according to the CDC, that rise in HIV/AIDS infection is affecting straight people too, and the cause is pretty clear - it's regressive asswipes like you getting squeamish about discussing condoms & safe sex practices actively shutting down any frank open sex ed discussion thereby dooming kids to a complete lack of awareness: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...g-young-people/

PS - gently caress YOU.

Solid red states also have a much higher rate of teenage pregnancy so the avoid sin and getting rid of sex ed classes approach doesn't seem to work too well.

Divine Disclaimer
Jan 24, 2013

by T. Finninho

Jonny Angel posted:

Some clownshoes in this thread, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, figured they'd send me PMs about how they totally figured out that I'm a goon too. I had to report them for admitting to being a troll, lest a mod read the PMs and my cover get blown. Paranoid, but it's the price of sloppiness.

Tits I was joking when I said it was a McCarthyism simulator. :psypop:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Moderate conservative who aggressively calls people out on their racism and homophobia: Still around after four or five days.

Polite Muslim who doesn't actually engage in any debate with anyone: Banned overnight.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Wet and ready posted:

Please, nothing racist:

It takes either some big balls or some incredibly tiny amount of self-awareness to say "No racism plz" and immediately post something super loving racist. It's too bad Guzda is too much of a coward to make his profile public because I'd really like to burn an account asking him to thoroughly explain the joke, then watching as he sidesteps how much of a racist shitlord he is.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

etalian posted:

Solid red states also have a much higher rate of teenage pregnancy so the avoid sin and getting rid of sex ed classes approach doesn't seem to work too well.

I want to say that miscarriages are higher among red states as well, as well as premature births and babies born with health issues.

They are just all around pretty unhealthy bunch, so the fact that they think Sex Ed is evil doesn't really matter, they don't really have a leg to stand on when it comes to childbirth/child welfare/Sex education etc.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
If I had the time/patience/stomach to start trolling TPC, I would ask:

Arms doesn't necessarily mean guns, it means weapons. If it's constitutionally acceptable to stockpile assault weapons, why can I not walk down the street with a rocket launcher (with a permit, of course!), or better yet: a suitcase nuke? Aren't those considered arms and doesn't the 2nd Amendment guarantee my right to bear them? If I am surrounded by several thousand UN troops determined to take away my God-given freedoms, who's going to tell me I can't enter a code and obliterate several square blocks, taking them all with me as I defend my country?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ghlbtsk posted:

Arms doesn't necessarily mean guns, it means weapons. If it's constitutionally acceptable to stockpile assault weapons, why can I not walk down the street with a rocket launcher (with a permit, of course!), or better yet: a suitcase nuke? Aren't those considered arms and doesn't the 2nd Amendment guarantee my right to bear them? If I am surrounded by several thousand UN troops determined to take away my God-given freedoms, who's going to tell me I can't enter a code and obliterate several square blocks, taking them all with me as I defend my country?

They'd bombard you with pictures of Sheriff Arpaio's tank (Paladin Self-Propelled Howitzer)

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HollisBrown posted:

There is a very bizzarre false equivalency that the new conservatives believe. They think for instance that MSNBC is every bit as biased and untruthful as FOX so they can justify watching it. They believe that Bush was attacked with the same vileness that they are attacking Obama with. They think that every other social outlet is so anti-right that they need to form their own communities (see:TPC). It's really nothing more than a paranoid, persecution complex.

It's a common thing in conservative and also in fundamentalist Christian circles1 that there has to be an overtly conservative/fundie version of EVERYTHING. It's like... they want to live in the same world as us and have access to modern conveniences and stuff, but they just can NOT risk being exposed to the (perceived) inherent anti-conservative/christian bias of real life so they have to create pro-their group versions of other popular things, even when those very things are perfectly welcoming to those groups to begin with.

See also: TCP, Godtube, Christian themeparks (such as http://www.holylandexperience.com/), that right wing Daily Show ripoff from Fox News that tanked, RightNetwork (the Kelsey Grammar-backed conservative TV channel that tanked), etc. etc. etc.

1Note that there is a lot of overlap between these two groups.

LostInTheSauce
Feb 14, 2013

Which way did I go?

ghlbtsk posted:

I already know the punchline to this joke, and it's not particularly funny. Yes I have someone given me a straightface and serious statement that yes, the government has no right to deny access to any weapon, up to and including belt-fed automatics, explosives, launched weapons, guided weapons and even NBC arms. Now I'll grant you the guy telling me this was so rabidly far to the right I had to basically pull his smart, reasonable human card for a while for this argument.

For the most part, a lot of teabaggers will balk at what you suggest, but you won't be able to tell the serious ones from the rest of the trolls when you get a yes response. there's always a few under the delusion that private citizens with a finger of god button will responsibly refrain from using it.

E: Replaced tea Partiers with the proper Teabaggers. Tired of playing nice.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LostInTheSauce posted:

I already know the punchline to this joke, and it's not particularly funny. Yes I have someone given me a straightface and serious statement that yes, the government has no right to deny access to any weapon, up to and including belt-fed automatics, explosives, launched weapons, guided weapons and even NBC arms. Now I'll grant you the guy telling me this was so rabidly far to the right I had to basically pull his smart, reasonable human card for a while for this argument.

For the most part, a lot of teabaggers will balk at what you suggest, but you won't be able to tell the serious ones from the rest of the trolls when you get a yes response. there's always a few under the delusion that private citizens with a finger of god button will responsibly refrain from using it.

E: Replaced tea Partiers with the proper Teabaggers. Tired of playing nice.

If someone honestly told me that we should just allow free access to Nuclear or Biological weapons, I would just punch them in the face and keep punching as hard as I could as quickly as I could.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spacedad posted:

PS - gently caress YOU.

I take it you haven't seen the HIV virus meme that they post on there that says something like "Thank God for the AIDS virus" or something. I dunno. Maybe that was a bridge too far and is bannable on there now, but when I first started trolling this site back in January, that was their common response to a visit from the goatman. I even saw it pop up a couple of times during SA's trolling of TPC before we got tired of Goatse.

Anyway, the point is, they literally want gay people to die. It's not an oversight or misspeaking or ignorance or anything. They aren't lamenting the increase in AIDS cases in the gay community or saying "well, this is very sad but that's what they get for leading that lifestyle" or whatever. They are practically celebrating it; they know very well what they're doing and saying and implying. They want gay people dead. Their logic seems to be "well, the Bible says kill 'em but since we can't do that without going to prison, God sent the AIDS virus to do it for us!"

People like that can't be reasoned with or pointed to statistics that will make them change their worldview. When someone is that far gone, all you can do is mock them or prevent them from spewing their bilge; both of which SA is doing in spades.

fursmbrero
Dec 27, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

If someone honestly told me that we should just allow free access to Nuclear or Biological weapons, I would just punch them in the face and keep punching as hard as I could as quickly as I could.

I would just mace them.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I do hope someone with a deep cover account burns it by having them get killed by their own firearm.

gadZeus
Jul 31, 2008

LostInTheSauce posted:

Yes I have someone given me a straightface and serious statement that yes, the government has no right to deny access to any weapon, up to and including belt-fed automatics, explosives, launched weapons, guided weapons and even NBC arms.

Did he support the invasion of Iraq to keep them from having WMDs? Does he support invading Iran for the same?

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ghlbtsk posted:

The current right wing talking point that I've heard on talking head cable news shows lately is that citizens should be able to have any arm that the police/army would conceivably use against citizens. That is why they should be able to have assault rifles but not nukes.

Yes, they're that bad at squirming out of tough questions.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I don't know who it was, but I was worried there for a moment that my cover was going to be blown before it turned out to be one of you.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ghlbtsk posted:

Be warned that even on SA, this line of discussion kills threads. That said, TPC would be a perfect place to discuss safe concealment and usage of a vial of weaponized sarin gas for personal defense.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fursmbrero posted:

I would just mace them.

No no no, anyone that literally thinks killing hundreds of thousands of innocents in the Crusade against a religion needs to bleed to death slowly in a pile of their own flesh that was one their skull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostInTheSauce
Feb 14, 2013

Which way did I go?

gadZeus posted:

Did he support the invasion of Iraq to keep them from having WMDs? Does he support invading Iran for the same?

That was where he deviates from the Tea party baseline. He was one of the ones who's out there enough that there is no government that is good in his eyes. There was literally no action in his mind that a government could possibly take that was not, in his mind, oppressive, wasteful or stupid in some way.

He's the exception that proves the rule on the weapons question, but there's more than him that'll agree that no weapon should be restricted. but if you look at a lot of the tea partiers who lean libertarian, the philosophy is less fascist and Anarchistic in the traditional meaning of the world. they just get offended when you call their ideal system anarchy.

LostInTheSauce fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 3, 2013

• Locked thread