Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I still can't bring up Terriers to anyone without being laughed at for watching a show about dogs. What was the title they originally wanted to go with, wasn't it something like Beach Dicks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Jingleheimer posted:

Well if you want to keep with the sci-fi theme there's Alphas, Fringe, and Charlie Jade, all of which are great.

Alphas looked promising since its in the same style and I guess uinverse as Warehouse 13 and Eureka. Ive heard bad things about it, though I can't remember what exactly.

Fringe was great the first three seasons, but I gave up on it after Peter came back from not existing and the first three seasons seemed to be erased.

Charlie Jade is something I have never heard of and might give it a go. Sounds a bit like Dresden Files.

Also, Terriers was one of those shows you wish you could forget and watch again. I just want to know which way they turn at the end!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Khorne Flakes posted:

Also, Terriers was one of those shows you wish you could forget and watch again. I just want to know which way they turn at the end!

In my mind, of course he went to jail, for all the reasons he told Katie he would in the scene prior. He's not gonna give up the opportunity to be a dad and possibly reconcile with the love of his life a year down the line. Also Hank had his sister to think about. My interpretation was that it was just some fantasizing banter between the two of them.

In my mind, if Season 2 had ever happened, they would've just skipped ahead to a year later.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

qbert posted:

In my mind, if Season 2 had ever happened, they would've just skipped ahead to a year later.

I read an interview where the show creator said this was what was going to happen.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Khorne Flakes posted:

Alphas looked promising since its in the same style and I guess uinverse as Warehouse 13 and Eureka. Ive heard bad things about it, though I can't remember what exactly.

Fringe was great the first three seasons, but I gave up on it after Peter came back from not existing and the first three seasons seemed to be erased.

Charlie Jade is something I have never heard of and might give it a go. Sounds a bit like Dresden Files.

The bad thing you heard was that it got cancelled after the second season. :sigh:

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Khorne Flakes posted:

Alphas has a much more serious tone than Warehouse 13 and Eureka. It's a bit like saying that if you enjoy Arrested Development, you'd probably enjoy Homicide, and L&O:SVU because Munch was in all of those shows.

That said, the worst I can say about Alphas is that it had a crappy pilot, and it got cancelled on a cliffhanger. It also has the usual problem that a lot of genre shows have, that the first season is kind of weak and spends too much time doing MotW episodes. That said, it had some great character interactions, and Strathairn was great playing a sort of hippy psychologist asking people about their feelings, and who was also willing to go all Jack Bauer when needed.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
My brother told me yesterday about a lovely British show called Skins. I'd never heard of it before, but popped it up on netflix last night.
I'm now halfway through the first season and it is glorious.
I have a sudden urge to use the phrase "sodding bollacky shite wank" at work now.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Skins is brilliant, at least series 1 & 2. They switch the cast up every other season and I wasn't a fan of the season 3 cast so I stopped watching.

It's pretty loving depressing too :(

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Skins is brilliant, at least series 1 & 2. They switch the cast up every other season and I wasn't a fan of the season 3 cast so I stopped watching.

It's pretty loving depressing too :(

I'd say season 3 & 4 are still watchable. The opening scene screams "let's throw EVERY possible trick to get teens to watch this show!" but it has its moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZTr9k4BUxw

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

thrakkorzog posted:

Alphas has a much more serious tone than Warehouse 13 and Eureka. It's a bit like saying that if you enjoy Arrested Development, you'd probably enjoy Homicide, and L&O:SVU because Munch was in all of those shows.

That said, the worst I can say about Alphas is that it had a crappy pilot, and it got cancelled on a cliffhanger. It also has the usual problem that a lot of genre shows have, that the first season is kind of weak and spends too much time doing MotW episodes. That said, it had some great character interactions, and Strathairn was great playing a sort of hippy psychologist asking people about their feelings, and who was also willing to go all Jack Bauer when needed.

I'm glad to hear that the pilot is considered crappy, I just got through it and while it didn't make me give up on the series by any means, it didn't exactly get me as pumped as I thought it would based on recommendations. It's got great tone and writing though, I already love the unique characterization of each Alpha and their quirks and the psychologist guy is great.

Those "of the week" episodes seriously slow me down in so many shows though. It took me a while to get going on Justified for that reason and it probably has some of the best procedural type episodes leading up to a real arcing plot. I always get bummed out when people skip the show or that whole season now that I've gotten through it though because it's so worth it. On the other hand, monster-of-the-week episodes slowed me down on Fringe so much that the show ended and I got to hear tons of complaints about it and maybe saved myself from 4 seasons of TV. Maybe.

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Must you betray me with a kiss?
Well crap, I only ever saw the first few of Alphas and I really didn't care for it, so I quit watching. May have to give it another go.

For some reason I started watching Jericho on Netflix, and I'm really liking it so far. The acting at the start isn't great, and I don't like that the main character just knows how to do everything that comes up. But the ideas and imagery are really interesting.
It helps that I live sorta near where Jericho is supposed to be and I recognize all the cities they name in the show, which is fun for me. I just wonder why there are so many Asians in Kansas.
I've heard that the show really goes off the rails at some point, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Arrested Development. I wanted a change of pace from drama since I did The Wire and nothing else in that genre will come close.

I also rage-quit Star Trek Voyager in the middle of season 4 because it is so loving stupid.

I'm in mid season 2 of AD. I'm not laughing out loud but I understand comedy is taking place and humor is present. I'm sure this is going to be a cult classic like Monty Python someday.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Khorne Flakes posted:

I finally finished Terriers tonight. I tried stretching it out as long as I could by watching one or two episodes a week. I am so pissed it got canned. There was an impeccable chemistry between Hank and Britt, they were an awesome duo. I should have just saved myself the heartbreak and never watched it. Although I am satisfied with the way it ended. They absolutely went straight. Hank and Britt had too much unfinished business in Ocean Beach to just run off to Mexico on a whim.

As far as Fringe goes, I am PISSED that Science Channel dropped it in the middle of the third season. What a bunch of dicks. How many more viewers do re-runs of How Its Made get than Fringe? I guess I just have to wait until I get my tax return to buy the DVDs.

Now I am slowly working my way through House of Cards. Being a fan of political dramas and David Fincher puts it right up my alley. Cannot wait to finish this season so I can post in the official thread without being spoiled, but I am employing the same strategy as I did with Terriers.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can watch Fringe on Amazon Prime

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Mu Zeta posted:

You can watch Fringe on Amazon Prime

I didn't know that, thank you! I might just do the 30 day free trial and try to finish it all in that time. I sure as hell am not spending 79 bucks for a membership when I already dish out 8 bucks a month for Netflix and Hulu. And I hardly use Hulu.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Exploder posted:

I didn't know that, thank you! I might just do the 30 day free trial and try to finish it all in that time. I sure as hell am not spending 79 bucks for a membership when I already dish out 8 bucks a month for Netflix and Hulu. And I hardly use Hulu.

Join a group of 5 or 6 other goons and get prime for like $15/year in that thread in coupons I think.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I think only the "head" person on the prime sharing group gets video privileges.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

kloa posted:

I think only the "head" person on the prime sharing group gets video privileges.

Yep. When I posted in that sharing thread I said I would be the head guy and they couldn't stream and the others didn't care.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

skooma512 posted:

Arrested Development. I wanted a change of pace from drama since I did The Wire and nothing else in that genre will come close.

I also rage-quit Star Trek Voyager in the middle of season 4 because it is so loving stupid.

I'm in mid season 2 of AD. I'm not laughing out loud but I understand comedy is taking place and humor is present. I'm sure this is going to be a cult classic like Monty Python someday.

Have you seen Generation Kill? Also by David Simon, but only one season. Oh, it's about the Iraq War and it is amazing. Both shocking and disturbing, yet also hilariously funny.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, the quality of Skins definitely depends on which series it is, because of the cast changes. The second cast (series 3 & 4) is my personal favourite.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I binged through Big Love after not having seen any eps since it ended. Really underrated show.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, the quality of Skins definitely depends on which series it is, because of the cast changes. The second cast (series 3 & 4) is my personal favourite.

The second generation (S3+S4) had the darkest stuff in it for sure, The third generation wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination but it did feel like a step down.
I think they where wise to not make the storylines in gen3 very over the top, but that did mean some parts felt like a retread of the earlier seasons. They clearly had no idea what to do with frankie between s5 and s6 though.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Can anyone recommend me some more shows like Archer and Black Dynamite? That genre is just extremely amusing to me.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Joramun posted:

Can anyone recommend me some more shows like Archer and Black Dynamite? That genre is just extremely amusing to me.

If you haven't already, check out Bob's Burgers for more H. Jon Benjamin goodness.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've been blowing through Night Court. I haven't seen these episodes since they first aired in the 80s/90s. It's still funny and the jokes have held up fairly well.

Next up will be Barney Miller.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Joramun posted:

The only thing that comes close to Archer for me is The Venture Bros.. Imagine an update of the cheesy Jonny Quest cartoon of the '60s, featuring a boy adventurer grown up into an angry, depressed loser of a scientist, his two naive but well-intentioned sons, and their gruff, violent bodyguard, who get into all kinds of adventures and have regular conflicts with their failure-prone supervillain arch-enemies. (Patrick Warburton does the voice of the Ventures' loyal bodyguard, Brock Sampson, if you liked him as Rip Riley on Archer.)

There's so much more to it than that, though. The show's creators, Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer, created an even richer and more complex mythology than Archer and filled it with jokes, callbacks, obscure references, and pop culture homages ('60s Marvel Comics, glam rock and New Wave music, Scooby Doo, the Adam West Batman show, G.I. Joe, and so much more). Plus, unlike Archer, there's actually a lot of heart. The soundtrack by industrial music pioneer J.G. Thirlwell kicks rear end, too.

Best of all, they are coming out with the long-awaited fifth season in May, so you have plenty of time to get caught up through Netflix. Season 1 starts out a little slow and doesn't hint at the greatness ahead, but by the end of Season 1, you'll probably be won over.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 3, 2013

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The only thing that comes close to Archer for me is The Venture Bros.. Imagine an update of the cheesy Jonny Quest cartoon of the '60s, featuring a boy adventurer grown up into an angry, depressed loser of a scientist, his two naive but well-intentioned sons, and their gruff, violent bodyguard, getting into all kinds of adventures, plus their supervillain arch-enemies.

There's so much more to it than that, though. The show's creators, Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer, created an even richer and more complex mythology than Archer and filled it with jokes, callbacks, obscure references, and pop culture homages ('60s Marvel Comics, glam rock and New Wave music, Scooby Doo, the Adam West Batman show, G.I. Joe, and so much more more). Plus, unlike Archer, there's actually a lot of heart. The soundtrack by industrial music pioneer J.G. Thirlwell kicks rear end, too.

Best of all, they are coming out with the long-awaited fifth season in May, so you have plenty of time to get caught up through Netflix.
That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Going to binge through it as soon as I finish my current show. Thanks!

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

VogeGandire posted:

If you haven't already, check out Bob's Burgers for more H. Jon Benjamin goodness.

John Bengamin Has A Van also would fit into that well. That show is so hit or miss though, but when its on its great.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Ror posted:

I'm glad to hear that the pilot is considered crappy, I just got through it and while it didn't make me give up on the series by any means, it didn't exactly get me as pumped as I thought it would based on recommendations. It's got great tone and writing though, I already love the unique characterization of each Alpha and their quirks and the psychologist guy is great.

Those "of the week" episodes seriously slow me down in so many shows though. It took me a while to get going on Justified for that reason and it probably has some of the best procedural type episodes leading up to a real arcing plot. I always get bummed out when people skip the show or that whole season now that I've gotten through it though because it's so worth it. On the other hand, monster-of-the-week episodes slowed me down on Fringe so much that the show ended and I got to hear tons of complaints about it and maybe saved myself from 4 seasons of TV. Maybe.

The thing about Alphas's MOTW episodes (that I gushed about either here or in the Alphas thread, but it bears repeating :v:) is that the great character interactions more than make up for the predictability of the plots. You're constantly learning something new about the characters, or seeing new aspects of their relationships with each other unfold, in the middle of all the action. For me, at least, that was a huge part of what kept me watching during the first season. And the characters are either really well-drawn and well-acted to start with, or they improve over time. And sometimes both. (:love:Rosen/Strathairn:love:)

Toxicirishmn
Aug 21, 2012

Only the dead have seen the end of war...
I finally started on Doctor Who...problem is I didn't start at the Classics, just the newer ones. I'll go back and watch the Classics later on.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Still working through Gilmore Girls! Moving through Season 3, and the show is still amazing. It's like an intelligent Seinfeld with actual story arcs. The dialogue and characters are just so amazingly funny and witty. I love it!

Toxicirishmn posted:

I finally started on Doctor Who...problem is I didn't start at the Classics, just the newer ones. I'll go back and watch the Classics later on.

Probably for the best. Unless you have a childhood nostalgia for the older episodes, you're going to notice the painfully bad special effects. A lot of episodes were straight up terrible anyways. I think there are some "must watch" lists for the older episodes and maybe just work off those.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 4, 2013

shagster104
Jan 3, 2012
Anybody have any thoughts on the black donnelys? It was on NBC back in 2007, and it seems interesting enough.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Toxicirishmn posted:

I did the same starting on Christopher Eccleston's Doctor and you really don't need to know anything about the series, starting there works perfectly fine.

Glasgow posted:

For some reason I started watching Jericho on Netflix...

As for Jericho, the show is very good and only gets crazy later on because it was canceled I believe in the off season, but allowed like 8 or 9 episodes to tie everything up. It has some of the best everyday characters on TV that you will care about so hard. Also one of my favorite villain groups Ravenwood, they are such tremendous rear end holes.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Just got through Six Feet Under. Excellent show, probably has to be in my top 3. I love Dexter and have seen every episode before I started binging on SFU, but I think I enjoyed Michael C. Hall as David Fischer better.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I started binging on Breaking Bad. The weird thing is that I hated the show at first, it just became more and more painful to watch as the characters self destructed. And there's no humor or comic relief, it's all tension and drama. I decided to give up halfway through the second season and went ahead and spoiled myself on the entire series. Somehow, that's made it watchable, I'm now deriving some sick pleasure knowing exactly what shitstorm is around the corner.

I feel evil watching it, and I love it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Khorne Flakes posted:

I did the same starting on Christopher Eccleston's Doctor and you really don't need to know anything about the series, starting there works perfectly fine.

Hell I started with Matt Smith, and that made it even more enjoyable (especially with the Daleks).

Internet Meme posted:

I started binging on Breaking Bad. The weird thing is that I hated the show at first, it just became more and more painful to watch as the characters self destructed. And there's no humor or comic relief, it's all tension and drama. I decided to give up halfway through the second season and went ahead and spoiled myself on the entire series. Somehow, that's made it watchable, I'm now deriving some sick pleasure knowing exactly what shitstorm is around the corner.

I gave up around the start of season 3, I'm planning on catching back up over spring break but it's somehow harder to go through than Dexter Season 3.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

shagster104 posted:

Anybody have any thoughts on the black donnelys? It was on NBC back in 2007, and it seems interesting enough.

I came across it on Netflix a few months back and marathoned it. It was actually very good. Jonathan Tucker does a great job as does Olivia Wilde. It's actually a little darker than I thought it would be, which I enjoyed, but it also has some occasional comic relief in the form of the narrator which was fairly well done as well. It's only one season though, and it ends on a cliffhanger so be prepared for that. Still, I would definitely recommend it if you're a fan of serial drama mob shows.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 5, 2013

shagster104
Jan 3, 2012
I read online that basically the whole series was released as episodes online only because nbc thought it was too violent. I got through the first episode last night and thought it was pretty good. Definitely gonna Marathon the rest on my day off tomorrow. Also all This talk of Jericho makes me want to watch that again too!

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Internet Meme posted:

Maybe it's not funny in the traditional sense, but it has plenty of black/dark humour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxicirishmn
Aug 21, 2012

Only the dead have seen the end of war...
My brother and sister-in-law got me Jericho for Christmas. That's probably going to be my next show, I've never seen it.