Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Google Now package tracking just doesn't work for me. I've emailed myself tracking info, had emails from (Amazon, etc) in my inbox, everything. Nothing.

I use this app and it works great, although some things show up as packages that absolutely are not packages. Strange. Good app though:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.slice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
My impression is that Google was trying to implement a realtime package notifier like Shiprack but didn't quite get there. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shiprack.client

Shiprack is awesome BTW, you forward your shipping confirmation to a set address (or set a filter to automatically do it) and it shows up in the app with all the details and will notify you immediately when a package status changes.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 2, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Catch seems a nice mobile note taking client. Not as versatile as Evernote, but it's pretty nice looking. Too bad it's tied to the online service, which might be a problem if you want to make more than 5 categories.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.threebanana.notes

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Are there any other reading apps that can access the books you've purchased from Google Play? I really don't mind the Play Books app, but I'm always open to better options. Something that I really like about it is the way it handles defining a word. A simple long press gets you a definition right there, unlike Aldiko, which you have to select define, then it opens your browser with the definition results.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Combat Pretzel posted:

Catch seems a nice mobile note taking client. Not as versatile as Evernote, but it's pretty nice looking. Too bad it's tied to the online service, which might be a problem if you want to make more than 5 categories.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.threebanana.notes

I have both Catch and Evernote because sometimes Evernote is too clunky, and the organization of Catch is easier to follow (I always forget to insert tags). I wish either of them could do inlaid tasks or appointments, so I wouldn't have to write a memo to myself and then also put in a task in gtasks.

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
Anyone use PowerAmp? I added some albums to my SDCard and they won't show up under libraries/folders

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

-B l a z e i n g- posted:

Anyone use PowerAmp? I added some albums to my SDCard and they won't show up under libraries/folders

Have you tried rescanning the folder?

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Bioalchemist posted:

Have you tried rescanning the folder?

Make sure you have gone into Poweramp settings, go to Folders and Library, and selected either "Auto-Find Music Folders" or gone into "Music Folders," yourself, and checked the SD card, then Rescan.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I am really liking ADW Launcher's revamping -- I know I'm late to have heard about it -- except for one thing: if you disable the dock, the homescreen does not stretch to include what used to be the dock, so I just have a blank space where the dock would be. Can't find any setting that solves this, has anyone figured this out?

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but does anyone know how Google Play works with the Cloud? Some of my songs aren't showing up on my phone but they're on Google Play Online. I've tried hitting refresh in Google Play app and I'm still not getting anything.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but does anyone know how Google Play works with the Cloud? Some of my songs aren't showing up on my phone but they're on Google Play Online. I've tried hitting refresh in Google Play app and I'm still not getting anything.

I think Google Play Music is just seriously broken. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it finally added like 200 songs it skipped on the first time...and it still skipped 1,500 more.

Speaking of it, does anyone know how to turn off those automatic playlists?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

XIII posted:

Are there any other reading apps that can access the books you've purchased from Google Play? I really don't mind the Play Books app, but I'm always open to better options. Something that I really like about it is the way it handles defining a word. A simple long press gets you a definition right there, unlike Aldiko, which you have to select define, then it opens your browser with the definition results.

Nope.

Also, I like the Play Books app quite a bit but it lacks the ability to import stuff I already own.

Google! :argh:

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010

vote_no posted:

I am really liking ADW Launcher's revamping -- I know I'm late to have heard about it -- except for one thing: if you disable the dock, the homescreen does not stretch to include what used to be the dock, so I just have a blank space where the dock would be. Can't find any setting that solves this, has anyone figured this out?

Long press homescreen -> resize screens.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Nope.

Also, I like the Play Books app quite a bit but it lacks the ability to import stuff I already own.

Google! :argh:

Well, ok then. Guess it's a good thing that this is my first foray into ebooks, since I don't have any other content that I would need a second app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would be nice if Google updated their play magazines app so that it cloud synced what magazines you archived and what your current page is. It's really embarrassing that it doesn't do that already.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

XIII posted:

You can export books from your Play Books in Epub (At least, I know my one book has the option) to import it into another E-Reader;.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dradien posted:

You can export books from your Play Books in Epub (At least, I know my one book has the option) to import it into another E-Reader;.

How?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Since the update to version 4, Pocket Casts is no longer downloading my pod casts automatically every night... what's up with that?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

Since the update to version 4, Pocket Casts is no longer downloading my pod casts automatically every night... what's up with that?

Because it's no longer an option. :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Bah. I was hoping I was missing something.

Makes me want to go on a stabbing spree.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Thermopyle posted:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Nope, I asked about this earlier. It IS an option; you set the "auto-refresh" in the general options but "auto-download" is set per-playlist. Pull up the side panel and press a playlist, and then go into that playlist's settings to set up auto-download.

They are, however, apparently having issues with the feature on Android 4.04. Pushed an update over the weekend to fix it.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
My regular email app is boned. I figured I would uninstall and it and just reinstall but prior to doing that I searched the play store to make sure it was there and couldn't find it. Is it somewhere on there and I am just missing it?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Require More Fire posted:

Nope, I asked about this earlier. It IS an option; you set the "auto-refresh" in the general options but "auto-download" is set per-playlist. Pull up the side panel and press a playlist, and then go into that playlist's settings to set up auto-download.

They are, however, apparently having issues with the feature on Android 4.04. Pushed an update over the weekend to fix it.

Oh, awesome. This works!

(Well, I guess it works, we'll see tonight at 3AM.)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CancerStick posted:

My regular email app is boned. I figured I would uninstall and it and just reinstall but prior to doing that I searched the play store to make sure it was there and couldn't find it. Is it somewhere on there and I am just missing it?
It's part of Android, you can't uninstall it and it's not on the Play Store. You can clear app data though.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Go to the book on your computer in the play store. Under the "how to read" tab, there'll be a download as epub option.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

LastInLine posted:

It's part of Android, you can't uninstall it and it's not on the Play Store. You can clear app data though.

I didn't mention, which I should have, that it is part of a ROM. I am running "Beans" on my Note II, a TW based rom. I chose the AOSP based email client and I think somethings wrong with it. Exchange services cause a force close every time I try to open it to set it up.

Before I reflash, all I want it is for my school email. Nothing technical. Are the free email clients, like K9, alright?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dradien posted:

Go to the book on your computer in the play store. Under the "how to read" tab, there'll be a download as epub option.

Oh, awesome. I basically never read on my laptop, so I never would have seen that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CancerStick posted:

I didn't mention, which I should have, that it is part of a ROM. I am running "Beans" on my Note II, a TW based rom. I chose the AOSP based email client and I think somethings wrong with it. Exchange services cause a force close every time I try to open it to set it up.

Before I reflash, all I want it is for my school email. Nothing technical. Are the free email clients, like K9, alright?
No idea, I've never set up an email account on Android device. Why not have GMail take your school email and use labels to segregate it?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Is there an app like the Do Not Disturb feature on iOS that can silence my phone according to a certain schedule?
Like if I don't want my phone to go off during class because I forgot to silence my phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baxate posted:

Is there an app like the Do Not Disturb feature on iOS that can silence my phone according to a certain schedule?
Like if I don't want my phone to go off during class because I forgot to silence my phone.
CM does this. I'd imagine it's something Tasker could do as well.

Searching for "silent mode schedule" in the Play Store comes up with a ton of results as well.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like Twitter-owned TweetDeck will be removed from both the Google Play Store and the iOS App Store in May. They will also stop working around that time. Another thing to go will be Facebook integration for Twitter.

The reason Twitter is doing this is to put full support on the TweetDeck Chrome app and Twitter "web applications".

TweetDeck AIR will also be removed and stop working.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/03/04/twitter-to-shut-down-tweetdeck-apps-will-be-removed-from-google-play-in-may/

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like Twitter-owned TweetDeck will be removed from both the Google Play Store and the iOS App Store in May. They will also stop working around that time. Another thing to go will be Facebook integration for Twitter.

The reason Twitter is doing this is to put full support on the TweetDeck Chrome app and Twitter "web applications".

TweetDeck AIR will also be removed and stop working.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/03/04/twitter-to-shut-down-tweetdeck-apps-will-be-removed-from-google-play-in-may/

Honestly that's probably the best thing they could do right now. TweetDeck on Chrome is nice and I doubt they were going to update the Android app anytime soon.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Oh for joy.

The Twitter part of Tweetdeck is obviously going to stop working as they said they're killing the API it uses, I'm not sure how Facebook will stop working but I assume it will break also.

What are my other options for something that does both Facebook and Twitter or is it finally time to switch to Google+?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Opera beta up

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...2VyLmJldGEiXQ..

used it for about 2 minutes but this seems a bit faster than Chrome beta.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will be visiting Thailand and Japan later this year for work. Luckily the people i will be meeting speak great English.
Can someone recommend me a good translation app or apps? Paid is ok
Something with text-to-speech and speech-to-text would be ideal. I remember seeing something a few years back where you could take a picture and it would translate. What was that called?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

fivre posted:

Oh for joy.

The Twitter part of Tweetdeck is obviously going to stop working as they said they're killing the API it uses, I'm not sure how Facebook will stop working but I assume it will break also.

What are my other options for something that does both Facebook and Twitter or is it finally time to switch to Google+?

Ubersocial. Not great but okay.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

outlier posted:

Ubersocial. Not great but okay.

Looks pretty ugly. TweakDeck is ostensibly better but I assume Twitter will break it also?

Is Plume worth paying for?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Fauxtool posted:

I will be visiting Thailand and Japan later this year for work. Luckily the people i will be meeting speak great English.
Can someone recommend me a good translation app or apps? Paid is ok
Something with text-to-speech and speech-to-text would be ideal. I remember seeing something a few years back where you could take a picture and it would translate. What was that called?

Google Translate has worked well for me although I never tried it on Thai Script

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

fivre posted:

Looks pretty ugly. TweakDeck is ostensibly better but I assume Twitter will break it also?

Is Plume worth paying for?

Every 3rd party Twitter app on every platform from Android to iOS to Windows 8 to Windows Phone 8 to even Blackberry will break eventually due to Twitter's new API that forces a 100,000 user token limit. This includes Plume and even Falcon Pro again.

The only reason TweetDeck is going down (despite being an app that Twitter owns), is because they want to focus on the Chrome version and other web apps for Twitter.

As previously brought up in this thread, Twitter is pretty much out to gently caress over all 3rd party Twitter app developers and FORCE users to use Twitter.com or Twitter's own app, no matter how mediocre and filled with ad tweets that they may become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

fivre posted:

Oh for joy.

Plume is decent enough. It's the closest thing that I've found to a real replacement for TweetDeck.

• Locked thread