Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Double Bill posted:

If you're new to fighting games and play mostly online, SFxT is simply the best choice (out of the Capcom games). UMvC3 is unplayable online and people who still play SF4 online have been doing it for years now, so you're not going to have fun with either. SFxT is new, beginner friendly, and even the "top" players are still playing like rear end.

http://ggpo.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Double Bill posted:

UMvC3 is unplayable online and people who still play SF4 online have been doing it for years now, so you're not going to have fun with either.

I really hate how prevalent this attitude is, even while I understand it.

I learned fighting games by jumping into random GGPO channels and playing with guys who in some cases had literally decades of experience on me, with zero matchmaking or rankings to even it out. Yeah it was frustrating but I learned faster than I possibly could have anywhere else, and met and played against a lot of cool people who I never would have without the free-for-all lobby system.

Alcoholism
Nov 17, 2010

Double Bill posted:

If you're new to fighting games and play mostly online, SFxT is simply the best choice (out of the Capcom games). UMvC3 is unplayable online and people who still play SF4 online have been doing it for years now, so you're not going to have fun with either. SFxT is new, beginner friendly, and even the "top" players are still playing like rear end.

I guess this is relevant: I'm "new" to fighting games in that I've been watching for a long time but have just recently decided to actually get serious about playing. I have an understanding of what goes into higher-level play but I have absolutely no ability to put these things into practice myself.

I chose to spend time learning SF4 because, to me, it seemed the most "general" fighting game available now. I can only play online, so part of my decision was the still-large community. I get my rear end kicked whenever I do go online, but I realize that as a beginner this is simply a reality of starting to play.

I have no interest in SFxT and I've never played it so I can't comment on that, but I just want to point out that as a beginner I am having an OK time with SF4.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
No joke, the realest thing you could do is start playing Super Turbo on GGPO. It's the best game for the best price with the most resources and the best netplay all at once, as in it's the best of each of those categories AND the best combined.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

met and played against a lot of cool people

In fairness, this is probably a bit easier with GGPO than in the open seas of PSN or XBL. At least judging by the hatemail I get from people on PSN.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Electromax posted:

In fairness, this is probably a bit easier with GGPO than in the open seas of PSN or XBL. At least judging by the hatemail I get from people on PSN.
There are idiots on GGPO too. I got at least ten things of hatemail for taunting. As Q.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Double Bill posted:

UMvC3 is unplayable online and people who still play SF4 online have been doing it for years now, so you're not going to have fun with either.

Regarding SSF4, that simply isn't true. There's still plenty of new and lower ranked players online to play against, on XBL at least. It may depend on your time zone or general location when you jump online but they're there so it's not like everyone who still plays it is a god.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
I've played a lot of bad players* online in AE on PS3 too.

* They still mostly beat me.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Anyone playing DOA5? I've been having a blast with it lately. Moreso than any of the older ones.

If you got cool stuff to share, then maybe you can post it in this thread.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Double Bill posted:

people who still play SF4 online have been doing it for years now, so you're not going to have fun with either.

If you're playing these games to get better at them - and if you're not trying to get good at the game then why bother - you will improve faster by being forced to adapt to players who are way out of your league than if you mash buttons with some other guy who mashed buttons.

Every single top player that I've talked to or seen interviewed, when asked what was their motivating factor early on, will tell you the same story - invariably there was this guy at their down-home arcade who was completely unstoppable and they just had to beat him by any means necessary. Having to catch up to a player or a community of players who have years of experience on you is an intimidating concept but realistically it's good for you as a player. You will improve a hundred times faster against these types of players than against fellow button mashers.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Hey ya'll Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown is only 5 dollars on Xbox Live again!!!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Virtua-Fighter-5-Final-Showdown/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584111fe

Buy this dang game, it's good as heck!

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Mister Blueberry posted:

Also stating that it's the best fighter this generation is an obvious troll.

But it's the best fighting game since 3rd Strike!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Trykt posted:

Hey ya'll Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown is only 5 dollars on Xbox Live again!!!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Virtua-Fighter-5-Final-Showdown/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584111fe

Buy this dang game, it's good as heck!

The silly thing is Xbox Live doesnt allow gifting like Steam. They would have like 25 of my dollars right now if I could buy copies for friends.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Gutcruncher posted:

The silly thing is Xbox Live doesnt allow gifting like Steam. They would have like 25 of my dollars right now if I could buy copies for friends.

A bit OT, but it will be interesting to see what the next gen consoles will take from steam. I can't imagine they're not jealous of the effortless piles of money gaben is swimming around in.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Klaus Kinski posted:

A bit OT, but it will be interesting to see what the next gen consoles will take from steam. I can't imagine they're not jealous of the effortless piles of money gaben is swimming around in.

So far the Wii Us eshop allows publishers to put their games on sale for however much they want at any time they want. Being that its Nintendo, we can expect the others to do it even better. The only thing that isn't a slam dunk is the possibility of gifting, something no current system has at all except the wii. Not Wii U, Wii...

Back on topic, everyone should own VF5 at this price. Everyone

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Gutcruncher posted:

Back on topic, everyone should own VF5 at this price. Everyone

What if you own the disc VF5 but never could get into it despite wanting to?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Has anyone here had any experiences with the X-Arcade Dual Joystick? The local Fry's stocks it pretty often for $100, and it'd be nice for my friend and I who want to get better at fighting games in general.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

miscellaneous14 posted:

Has anyone here had any experiences with the X-Arcade Dual Joystick? The local Fry's stocks it pretty often for $100, and it'd be nice for my friend and I who want to get better at fighting games in general.

Bad stick. Do not buy.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Mister Blueberry posted:

It has nothing to do with goon consensus, SfxT is a terrible game. It may be a bit enjoyable (for some) while you play it but its a loving borefest to watch high level players just block a whole round.
Also stating that it's the best fighter this generation is an obvious troll.

I said it was the best Capcom fighter in a decade and I stand by that. UMvC3 is a clusterfuck and SF4 is a dull, overbalanced, flavorless grind with a duller metagame. "It's boring to watch" has to be the dumbest argument against getting into a game, but I guess that's what you'd expect from stream monsters, and it's a criticism that has been levied against literally every good game ever made because - guess what - games are boring to watch when you don't understand them. And give me a goddamn break, like any of you are glued to the screen to watch SF4 that isn't top 8 of a major.

SFxT has more interesting general mechanics than SF4, more room for improvisation and creativity, more interesting and diverse character designs, more room to explore undeveloped tech and strategy, and requires more skill to play well. It's a great game.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
UMvC3 is a Bad Game but it isn't boring as poo poo like SFxT at least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Are you a pokemon named Stream Monster?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Billy Gnosis posted:

What if you own the disc VF5 but never could get into it despite wanting to?

Final showdown is way better. Also you should buy it anyways because this 5 dollars will either be VF5FS or a couple cheeseburgers, an VF lasts longer

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 5, 2013

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Gutcruncher posted:

Final showdown is way better. Also you should buy it anyways because this 5 dollars will either be VF5FS or a could cheeseburgers, an VF lasts longer

Gold exclusive :saddowns:

I even had 400 points lying around.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Periodiko posted:

I said it was the best Capcom fighter in a decade and I stand by that. UMvC3 is a clusterfuck and SF4 is a dull, overbalanced, flavorless grind with a duller metagame. "It's boring to watch" has to be the dumbest argument against getting into a game, but I guess that's what you'd expect from stream monsters, and it's a criticism that has been levied against literally every good game ever made because - guess what - games are boring to watch when you don't understand them. And give me a goddamn break, like any of you are glued to the screen to watch SF4 that isn't top 8 of a major.

SFxT has more interesting general mechanics than SF4, more room for improvisation and creativity, more interesting and diverse character designs, more room to explore undeveloped tech and strategy, and requires more skill to play well. It's a great game.
How can a game be overbalanced?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Brosnan posted:

Bad stick. Do not buy.

Any details on this? I've seen a lot of mixed reviews.

Most of the sticks that have been recommended aren't really sold anymore and hawked at absurd prices on second-hand markets, so it's been difficult trying to find one - let alone two - that are affordable.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

may contain peanuts posted:

How can a game be overbalanced?

The characters are bland and homogeneous, which is a valid complaint for SF4.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Endorph posted:

Are you a pokemon named Stream Monster?

What the gently caress, I said the phrase "stream monster" like two times over three posts. Why the hell are you bandwagoning to poo poo on a game you "haven't played or paid much attention to in like 10 months"?

You people are the worst.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm not really bandwagoning and I didn't actually disagree with any of your points because for all I know Street Fighter x Tekken is a really cool game now, and I will probably give it a look again at some point. 'Steam monsters' is just a really dumb insult to use. Stream Monsters this, Stream Monsters that. It's basically a 'I don't have an actual argument to make so I'll say you Do Not Play Video Games, in this, a thread about Playing Video Games' cop-out.

Also, 'you people' is racist. Some of my best friends are stream monsters.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guys, just dont respond to him and he will starve. I made the mistake of replying, once.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

miscellaneous14 posted:

Most of the sticks that have been recommended aren't really sold anymore and hawked at absurd prices on second-hand markets, so it's been difficult trying to find one - let alone two - that are affordable.

Honestly, they are so bad that I am extremely surprised that they can still exist in this day of $100 all Sanwa sticks. No one who has ever played on proper sticks will give an X-Arcade stick a good review. Speaking of which, just wait for any major tournament ever and they will probably have a Hori or Madcatz coupon code to buy a top notch stick for $100. I think both companies' Soul Calibur 5 sticks regularly go on sale for $100 new. Also the Madcatz branded SFxT sticks are on sale a lot.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Basically what you're saying is that everyone here who dislikes and finds SFxT boring just doesn't understand it like you do.

So you're like Neo and Cross Tekken is your Matrix.

Puzzle Thing
Dec 12, 2006
Your life is as steak!
Hey Periodiko do you play on PSN? It'd be nice to play with someone regularly and not just whoever happens to be in endless.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Endorph posted:

I'm not really bandwagoning and I didn't actually disagree with any of your points because for all I know Street Fighter x Tekken is a really cool game now, and I will probably give it a look again at some point. 'Steam monsters' is just a really dumb insult to use. Stream Monsters this, Stream Monsters that. It's basically a 'I don't have an actual argument to make so I'll say you Do Not Play Video Games, in this, a thread about Playing Video Games' cop-out.

Also, 'you people' is racist. Some of my best friends are stream monsters.

I mentioned stream monsters the first time because the whole question that started this was how it was received by the fighting game community in general, and the second time because I was responding to someone who said not to play it because it "was boring to watch", which is probably one of the most common criticisms of the game. It's no better than when people who poo poo on 3D fighters when they come on stream before Marvel or whatever.

Puzzle Thing posted:

Hey Periodiko do you play on PSN? It'd be nice to play with someone regularly and not just whoever happens to be in endless.

The blu-ray laser on my PS3 died so I need to replace it, but when I fix I'd be happy to play, my tag is NPR_TerryGross.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 5, 2013

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

miscellaneous14 posted:

Madcatz TEs and Eightarc sticks are high quality and plentiful, and there are frequent sales on them during major events. The X-Arcade is not even in the realm of actual sticks that any reasonable person would use.

Minijaka
Apr 6, 2006
I'm so original.

miscellaneous14 posted:

The biggest thing for me would be the size. The pictures I see, you need to be pretty comfortable touching your game buddy if you want to use the x-arcade. Originally I thought of getting an x-arcade too because of the price, but in the end I just bought two separate stick so that I don't have to share a chair.

Personally, I don't think chipping out $100 a stick is that bad, especially if you want to get into fighting games.

Minijaka fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 5, 2013

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I hope Injustice is going to be fun to play online. I'm sure it won't be because MK's netcode was totally awful and watching little 10 second cutscenes every time the screen changes or someone does an ultra is probably going to be tedious but there's not a whole lot on the fighting game horizon at this point and everything new has been rubbish or has an impossibly high barrier for entry because it's part of a series that people have been playing for a decade or more.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Periodiko posted:

SFxT has more interesting general mechanics than SF4
Arguably subjective, does pretty much any fighter. What mechanics in it are particularly exciting or notable compared to any non-capcom game (Since calling it 'best capcom game in daterange x' is pigeonholing by limiting it so specifically) or hell, even UMvC3?

Periodiko posted:

more room for improvisation and creativity
Agreed for SF4, but I think UMvC3 (or any games with lots of freedom to cancel openly or use chains) has that at least. Give examples, maybe?

Periodiko posted:

, more interesting and diverse character designs
Interesting is subjective, but the diversity of characters is something that can be demonstrated more objectively... and isn't really the problem(s) with MvC3. SFxT still has few really 'out there' characters compared to MVC3. (SF4, yeah, whatever. It's essentially a subset of cross tekken anyways)

Periodiko posted:

, more room to explore undeveloped tech and strategy
Unless you're arguing it's better because it's unexplored (Because it is unpopular as well as bad), I don't know how you can really argue that makes it a 'good game', since you're arguing for what is essentially a consumable resource.

Periodiko posted:

and requires more skill to play well.
Based on? I mean, I think SF4 is terrible and boring, but it's not without a certain amount of 'skill'. Even if a huge amount of it is in the boring combo system's dependency on links and stuff, but fundamentally, skill is borne out in tourney results. Again, as far as marvel are you only comparing to SF4?

Periodiko posted:

It's a great game.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
The problem is that most Madcatz sticks aren't in stock from official retailers as far as I've seen, and everything else is upwards of $150. I'm not finding these $100 sticks people are talking about, which is frustrating considering how much of a jump in precision one is in most fighting games over a regular controller.

Alcoholism
Nov 17, 2010

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

impossibly high barrier for entry because it's part of a series that people have been playing for a decade or more.

Just play a lot and lose a lot and get better, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Brosnan posted:

Madcatz TEs and Eightarc sticks are high quality and plentiful, and there are frequent sales on them during major events. The X-Arcade is not even in the realm of actual sticks that any reasonable person would use.

The build quality is meh, the parts they are use are just cheapo modern Happ parts (if they're even that) unless something has changed. I had one loooong ago. They also took forever to get adapters for modern consoles, and that's likely to be an issue again in the future.

miscellaneous14 posted:

The problem is that most Madcatz sticks aren't in stock from official retailers as far as I've seen, and everything else is upwards of $150. I'm not finding these $100 sticks people are talking about, which is frustrating considering how much of a jump in precision one is in most fighting games over a regular controller.
Wait for a tourney+sale. Better to wait or spend a little more and get something actually good. Which platforms are you looking for, anyways?

• Locked thread