Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What's the secret to the 4th stratum boss? As soon as he changes I seem to totally out of options on what to do as my one runemaster shoots off all her TP

I had almost won, but only doing like, 12 damage per character really wasn't doing it.

My team is Bushi(Nightseeker)/Dancer(Sniper)/Nightseeker(Bushi)
Medic(Fortress)/Runemaster(Arcanist)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What's the secret to the 4th stratum boss? As soon as he changes I seem to totally out of options on what to do as my one runemaster shoots off all her TP

I had almost won, but only doing like, 12 damage per character really wasn't doing it.

I just want to know what status effects to use. the only thing I can seem to get him with is binds sometimes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think I bugged the 4th boss somehow. He was head bound and paralyzed when he tried to switch away from ice, and after that he never tried to switch elements again. He'd just occasionally hit 2 of my guys for 100 damage or all of them for 15 damage. I was ~48 so I wasn't grossly overleveled or anything. The guest party member was the only one who really did any damage to him.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Yeah, my head bind stuck until he had red health. Never switched out of original form.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
It seems you can only have one arcanist. Should I sub my nightseeker or my sniper as arcanist?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
How do you make the item that lowers encounter rate? It seems like the quest involving chasing around cuff links requires one.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

goldjas posted:

How do you make the item that lowers encounter rate? It seems like the quest involving chasing around cuff links requires one.

Can't quite remember off-hand but I think it's the mining nodes on 3B3F when the place is cool.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

goldjas posted:

I did it without one, just avoid the FOEs and take as few steps as possible.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

goldjas posted:

Nah, you can run away from encounters and there's actually a pretty big window of time in which you can make it (I'm pretty sure it's based on two things: going through the wrong door, and round count (imagine each step counting as a full round in battle)). FOEs will ruin your day, though, since you have to dodge their patterns, which can add tons of time to your run. Clearing those out will make getting to the end of the quest worlds easier.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Alright, I'm about to retire my party and do the New Game+ thing and I figure I might as well get some feedback.

What I'm looking at is an Imperial, a Bushi, a Fortress, a Sniper and an Arcanist. The Sniper's gonna have a sub of Arcanist and the Arcanist a sub of Medic, but otherwise I'm still not set on them, so I'm curious what people would suggest on the Imperial, Bushi and Fortress?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

His resistances change as he spins his head. The NPC you're given is the key to the fight, since he can hit all 4 weaknesses for huge damage.

DalaranJ posted:

It seems you can only have one arcanist. Should I sub my nightseeker or my sniper as arcanist?

You can have as many arcanists as you want. Why would you think otherwise?

LornMarkus posted:

Alright, I'm about to retire my party and do the New Game+ thing and I figure I might as well get some feedback.

What I'm looking at is an Imperial, a Bushi, a Fortress, a Sniper and an Arcanist. The Sniper's gonna have a sub of Arcanist and the Arcanist a sub of Medic, but otherwise I'm still not set on them, so I'm curious what people would suggest on the Imperial, Bushi and Fortress?

Runemaster, Bushi, and Landsknecht are the best subs for Imperial (Land is a distant third). Bushi can go with a bunch of different things, basically anything with some offensive oomph is good. Fortress is probably best sticking with Dancer for dodge or Landsknecht for pure defense, although Runemaster is an interesting option defensively.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Just beat the 3rd Maze boss, and loving the emergent narrative that came out of the end of that fight. Both my party and the boss were hanging on by a thread with no TP or Burst available, when my Sniper picks up an Ice Stake and launches it straight into the Lizard's eye, killing it. And for her trouble she gets a bow that shoots fire.

Also wasn't quite expecting the 4th Land to be what it was. And while it was obvious to anyone that Whirlwind was clearly suspicious and an antagonist, I didn't expect him to be a knight of the Empire, though in hindsight the hints were pretty blatant.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Zurai posted:

Runemaster, Bushi, and Landsknecht are the best subs for Imperial (Land is a distant third). Bushi can go with a bunch of different things, basically anything with some offensive oomph is good. Fortress is probably best sticking with Dancer for dodge or Landsknecht for pure defense, although Runemaster is an interesting option defensively.

Yup, Landsknecht is what I'd been using for my Fortress currently but while she can definitely take a hit like a champ she was coming up slower than most of the things I was fighting until I dropped her Boots for a Velocity Choker. So Dancer seems a suitable pair-up, especially since I could probably throw some dances into her repertoire too.

Runemaster for Imperial also sounds pretty good. Didn't use one at all, main or sub, in my first party so it'll be a nice change even if I probably won't bother with any of the actual Runes.

Let's see then . . . so if I wanted to avoid any more overlap, probably Landsknecht or Nightseeker for the Bushi, which pretty much comes up to "a balance of offense and defense" or "murder-time, fun-time."

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zurai posted:

You can only have one circle up at a time, though, so multiple arcanists doesn't really do much.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
What's a good build for an Imperial/Runemaster, ~level 60 with a retirement at 50?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

WrightOfWay posted:

You can only have one circle up at a time, though, so multiple arcanists doesn't really do much.
Well, not if they're subbed to a Nightseeker and a Sniper, neither of which will ever actually cast a Circle :getin:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Well, not if they're subbed to a Nightseeker and a Sniper, neither of which will ever actually cast a Circle :getin:

Yup, my Sniper had and will probably continue to have only Effect Boost and TP Return from Arcanist. And so did my Nightseeker back when she was subbing Arcanist instead of Bushi.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

There's still all kinds of useful stuff in the arcanist skill tree that aren't circles. Tame Ground, Bracing Walk, Warding Mist, Charm Eye, Atrophic Eye, TP Return, Releasal Spell, and Ailment Boost are all excellent skills, and TP Return and Ailment Boost in particular are incredible on Nightseeker and Sniper.

MotU posted:

What's a good build for an Imperial/Runemaster, ~level 60 with a retirement at 50?

1+ in each elemental drive, 1+ in Ignition, maxed out passive damage boosts, max Absorber, max Drive Mastery. After that, points to taste.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
I swear to God this game is going to make my 3DS short circuit due to palm sweat. Every single boss fight I seem to do something just stupid the last 3 turns and barely squeak by.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MotU posted:

I swear to God this game is going to make my 3DS short circuit due to palm sweat. Every single boss fight I seem to do something just stupid the last 3 turns and barely squeak by.

Stop telling your Protector to attack instead of Party Guard :v:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

Stop telling your Protector to attack instead of Party Guard :v:

More like just completely forgetting the elemental weakness of each face of the Cradle Guardian even though I did it perfect the entire fight up until that point. :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Okay, less :v: and more serious: what are some ways I can get Petrify? I gotta petrify a FOE to get its conditional drop and I have no idea where to start.

Also, are there any more places I can get Formaldehyde? I only have like one left; I'm okay with conditional-killing normal dudes and FOEs, but bosses? Hahaha no.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Okay, less :v: and more serious: what are some ways I can get Petrify? I gotta petrify a FOE to get its conditional drop and I have no idea where to start.

You can forge petrify onto a weapon or get one with petrification pre-forged. That's it, I think.

J
Jun 10, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

Also, are there any more places I can get Formaldehyde? I only have like one left; I'm okay with conditional-killing normal dudes and FOEs, but bosses? Hahaha no.

As far as I know you find a few during the game, you can find some more from treasure maps (I don't know any details about that though), and you can buy them by selling the drop from the foes on the first floor of the postgame labyrinth.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

J posted:

As far as I know you find a few during the game, you can find some more from treasure maps (I don't know any details about that though), and you can buy them by selling the drop from the foes on the first floor of the postgame labyrinth.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkUrzpSkfmVIdDk0SmdTNjlUbHA1VkpRTElZZ1JZUFE&usp=sharing#gid=0

This Spreadsheet shall be your salvation. Go there and you can get most of the treasure maps through QR codes. And if all you want to grab from it is the Form then look at that sidebar on the spreadsheet and just grab the ones that give you it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

The White Dragon posted:

Actually since my guild is level 28, I'm going to go ahead and use circles for the next 12 levels.

Zurai posted:

Because I intended to use their active skills and not just their passives.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 6, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well, that's a dick move, game. It respawns the third stratum boss when you approach from the final dungeon teleporters, and then prevents you from shattering the master scale behind the boss.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Man, the Imperial's sky skill that lets you reuse food nodes randomly is pretty funny, I got 7 uses out of a single bird node earlier. If only it proc'd that much on those super rare food spawns...

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."
Sorry if this has been asked before.

I just got to the 3rd level of the 3rd stratum which dead ended very quickly. There were some Mystics there who said the were going off somewhere and I assume I need to follow but wasn't really paying attention:downs: Where do i need to go? I've been to the frozen lake dungeon but didn't see anything to do there.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Fallen One posted:

I just got to the 3rd level of the 3rd stratum which dead ended very quickly. There were some Mystics there who said the were going off somewhere and I assume I need to follow but wasn't really paying attention:downs: Where do i need to go? I've been to the frozen lake dungeon but didn't see anything to do there.

There's a staircase in the NW on B1F that takes you to a path that leads you to B3F proper. If you've shattered the big scale on B2F you should be able to get past the two FOEs that guard that path pretty easily.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I just entered the 5th labyrinth and I went from enthusiastic wonder to :geno: pretty quickly. I just hope there's more actual 5th labyrinth than just revisiting the old ones.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Word of god (the leadership on these games) says they created the game with only five party slots so you'd always feel like you were missing something with the other classes, and I really feel like I'm missing a ton with my current team, especially with the imminent recruitment of Arcanists. I really want to work a Dancer and Arcanist into my current party, but not lose the durability it currently has. I could definitely use more damage.

To put it in perspective, I still can't, at level 18, beat those god damned kangaroos on the world map.

My current party is

F: N / F / L
B: S / M

I'm just now noticing that my rows make acronyms. Any suggestions on good combinations that are similar in damage and tanking? Some kind of broken build I'm not aware of?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Once you unlock subclassing you really don't feel like you are missing anything. At least I don't.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
This game can make you feel bad sometimes. In the small orchard, it's like a peaceful little orchard with a few deer just hangin' around and guards havin fun. Then I kill the baby deer and then the mommy deer comes around and now there are dead guards everywhereee

it's all my fault =(

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Fallen One posted:

There's another entrance on the 2nd floor. The one you used is literally a dead end.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Dragongem posted:

This game can make you feel bad sometimes. In the small orchard, it's like a peaceful little orchard with a few deer just hangin' around and guards havin fun. Then I kill the baby deer and then the mommy deer comes around and now there are dead guards everywhereee

it's all my fault =(

And then once you've killed the Furyhorn (mother deer) the whole place becomes eerily quiet and seems pretty dead for a long time. At least until respawn, which I think takes 7 days.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Jesus. I just tried fighting the boss on the second level of the Lush Woodlands and he wiped the floor with me. I'm level 10, got L/F/N M/S, and couldn't get a single blind or armbind off the entire fight. What do I need o do?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

yaoi prophet posted:

Jesus. I just tried fighting the boss on the second level of the Lush Woodlands and he wiped the floor with me. I'm level 10, got L/F/N M/S, and couldn't get a single blind or armbind off the entire fight. What do I need o do?
Y'know I hate to sound facetious when actually trying to be helpful, but the truth is, sometimes you just gotta gain a couple levels. Murderbear is pretty cruise once you hit 12 or 13. It's also susceptible to Blind, so that's another option.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

yaoi prophet posted:

I did the dude at level 10 and found him doable. The biggest thing that helps is to have your fortress burst guard order immediately then follow with a strike guard. Once that's in place you can start spamming blind/armbind and hopefully get him very managable. The only thing to watch out for is his supercharge attack (which is after 2 turns, not one?) but as long as you have your defenses up you should be a-ok.

I had a little trouble getting blind to stick for too long but I got a few turns of it going, at least.

Edit: I was running D/F/N R/S no medic party is working so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Does the 5th stratum get interesting? After I ended up back in the previous dungeon my motivation almost all but dried up and I'm just kinda unimpressed.

It doesn't help those venomflys and blood kangaroo's are the most obnoxious thing in the game so far.

• Locked thread