Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I really want a 'this gen' game based around a Predator. Screw 'Aliens' or 'AvP' - Where's my current gen 'Predator' game. Marines and Aliens get all the spotlight.

Or at least give me an AvP game where I can customise my Predator - I'd love some kind of 'Cabela's big hunt' game where you are a Predator stalking rad prey and you can hang trophies off yourself and customise your helmet to show you are the biggest badass. Make it a monster hunter clone.

gently caress that, get Telltale to make a game in either the Alien or Predator universes similar to the smash Walking Dead game they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

your evil twin posted:

I've got a crappy ancient phone at the moment but I'm planning on getting a new one soon; I'd been leaning towards getting a Samsung Galaxy or something like that which would probably be google android, have there been any positive reviews of AvP:E for android yet or is it not worth bothering unless you've got one of the latest iphones?
I'm pretty sure one of the positive reviews I linked was for Android, but I can probably dig up some more later.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Will it run worth a poo poo on an iPhone 3Gs?

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

I really want a 'this gen' game based around a Predator. Screw 'Aliens' or 'AvP' - Where's my current gen 'Predator' game. Marines and Aliens get all the spotlight.

Or at least give me an AvP game where I can customise my Predator - I'd love some kind of 'Cabela's big hunt' game where you are a Predator stalking rad prey and you can hang trophies off yourself and customise your helmet to show you are the biggest badass. Make it a monster hunter clone.

Basically Crysis 1 is your best bet for a Predator game.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Wade Wilson posted:

gently caress that, get Telltale to make a game in either the Alien or Predator universes similar to the smash Walking Dead game they did.

Screw that, I want an open world game where you play as either the predator tracking poo poo down and killing them, or as the expy of Arnold or Glover and have to survive and track it down to stop it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wade Wilson posted:

Will it run worth a poo poo on an iPhone 3Gs?
Probably not, unfortunately.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Goons vs Predator Monday Night Event: Predator Mugging Simulator 2012

Infestation Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4m6CpQ2HnE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwKAQA3wlcE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T-C6yu1NJQ

Species TDM Time - Marines can win if there are enough of them, otherwise Aliens or Preds win... of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87_Pf4H_vpI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDUSm7ULuF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIPuQh8h3RI

Last round was boxing time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaXZYUS7MDo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAxWPOuWbLg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKoz2xGTxm8

Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYFFyScLShQ

Speedball posted:

Calling it. Aliens tie-in games are done for the next few years.
We've had fallow periods before.

McSpanky posted:

Can I get in on this if I have the original version, on discs from 2000?

glitchkrieg posted:

I'm actually tempted to pick up AVP 1 and 2 for Mac, if I can find a decent copy. Hopefully that'd mean I could join in with Co-Op.
AVP Gold is not compatible with AVP Classic 2000, which uses Steamworks, unfortunately.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Speedball posted:

Calling it. Aliens tie-in games are done for the next few years.
We've already got the Creative Assembly game in the pipeline, and Rebellion is in talks for a sequel to AvP2010.

There's also the pipe-dream best-case scenario where Sega reactivates the "Aliens: Crucible" RPG project (with or without Obsidian).

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Xenomrph posted:

Rebellion is in talks for a sequel to AvP2010.

Interesting. Considering the cliffhanger, that could be a pretty out-there game. What kind of talks currently?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Hopefully it's a game of extremes. Either with Dredd in it and completely ridiculous or really really intense and fast like AvP1. That's my biggest hope after Colonial Marines, that it's a game not so concerned with being run of the mill.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Aliens vs Predator vs THE LAW

He looks so happy to bring THE LAW to that chestburster. :allears:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
^^^ after that recent Dredd movie with Karl Urban, I'm down for a theatrical Dredd vs Aliens movie. In 3D. And they'll somehow work those slo-mo drugs into the script.

Xenomrph posted:

We've already got the Creative Assembly game in the pipeline, and Rebellion is in talks for a sequel to AvP2010.

There's also the pipe-dream best-case scenario where Sega reactivates the "Aliens: Crucible" RPG project (with or without Obsidian).

When was this Creative Assembly game even announced? I just saw that one blurry pic of the crash test dummy a few pages ago.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Interesting. Considering the cliffhanger, that could be a pretty out-there game. What kind of talks currently?
Everything I know about the topic is from wikipedia, unfortunately.

Revitalized posted:

^^^ after that recent Dredd movie with Karl Urban, I'm down for a theatrical Dredd vs Aliens movie.

When was this Creative Assembly game even announced? I just saw that one blurry pic of the crash test dummy a few pages ago.
A little while back, actually. For a very long time we knew nothing about it other than that Creative Assembly was making it, we didn't even know the genre it would be. Really the only tidbit we had was that Creative Assembly kept consistently referring to it as an 'Alien' game. As in, not an 'Aliens' game. :raise:

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Goons vs Predator Monday Night Event: Predator Mugging Simulator 2012

*insert cool videos and poo poo*

You all have a Steam group, right? Any chance I could get an invite? drunkenwookiee@aol.com (Shut up, it's like ten years old)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Abner Assington posted:

You all have a Steam group, right? Any chance I could get an invite? drunkenwookiee@aol.com (Shut up, it's like ten years old)
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonsversuspredator

It's a public group :getin:

Also, whoever Ciaranisco was, we're not always there even if we're in the chat, so you have to be more patient than that

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 6, 2013

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Balls. I've got the original AVP disk somewhere, doubt that's any use to me though. Might just have to reinstall Windows again.

As for Rebellion doing another AVP game - I might have to hit up my Rebellion contact about. I think I posted in one of the Aliens threads on here about the original AVP being a happy accident, which I learned from him in the past.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

glitchkrieg posted:

As for Rebellion doing another AVP game - I might have to hit up my Rebellion contact about. I think I posted in one of the Aliens threads on here about the original AVP being a happy accident, which I learned from him in the past.
I'd love to hear more about this. I love AvPClassic, it's still my favorite AvP game.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Just finished playing Rebellion's newest product, Sniper Elite Zombie Nazi Army. Surprisingly fun :colbert:.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Revitalized posted:

^^^ after that recent Dredd movie with Karl Urban, I'm down for a theatrical Dredd vs Aliens movie. In 3D. And they'll somehow work those slo-mo drugs into the script.

The slo-mo stuff was most forced "Made for 3D" garbage I've seen yet. Movie was great other than that.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
You haven't seen Jaws 3(d) then.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

Also, whoever Ciaranisco was, we're not always there even if we're in the chat, so you have to be more patient than that

That would be me. Sorry about that, I literally saw the group chat and thought, "who knows, maybe there is someone free". Curse the GMT / UTC 0+ time zones, they ruin my chances of playing with US Goons.

I've been getting some multiplayer games in, great fun when you can single someone out and punish them for being curious.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

rizuhbull posted:

Just finished playing Rebellion's newest product, Sniper Elite Zombie Nazi Army. Surprisingly fun :colbert:.

I was starting to think nobody else on SA had picked this game up. :psyduck: It's not amazing, but for the $9 I paid I'm having a lot of fun.

Imagine the bulletcam stuff being used for AVP executions.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Xenomrph posted:

I'd love to hear more about this. I love AvPClassic, it's still my favorite AvP game.

Way back in the days of 1999, when 56k modems were the best connections most home users could afford, cover-mounted CDs were pretty much the only way to get exposure for an upcoming release. As the CDs were tied to publication dates demos would "go gold", in a similar way to full games, because the publication dates were a non-negotiable immovable deadline. Miss it and you miss featuring on that month's CD, which as they were often tied to exclusive offers, meant the relationship between the developer and the publisher would often be pretty much shafted and it could be difficult to recover from.

Rebellion was founded by two brothers. One, a charismatic and gifted salesman, who could handle the business side of things with ease. The other handled the development side of things and was a little "on the spectrum". Mr Business had landed an exclusive cover-mount release for their first AVP demo, with PC Zone (IIRC - I've probably still got the actual CD in storage somewhere). The deadline for getting a working demo off to Dennis Publishing was swiftly approaching, so Mr Business decided to review what they had.

It wasn't much. Mr Development had fallen into the trap that a lot of developers do - spend most time on the most interesting bits. He loved lighting and water and had devoted the majority of his time on trying out new techniques for his pet engine, with the rest of the dev work spread out across his team. They had a load of assets sorted but nothing more than a tech demo for the engine, instead of a playable demo to draw in punters.

The company went into crunch time. They grabbed one of the test environments, added some location-based monster spawns and churned out as much as they could. A basic goal of "get from your spawn to the Dropship" was given and they had a product they could send out to PC Zone, so people could at least walk around and shoot things.

They could see glaring errors in the demo and were poo poo-scared of the response. Except the response was overwhelmingly positive. Where they saw a mostly empty environment (mostly), punters saw atmosphere. A path-finding bug that meant Aliens had difficulty finding a player and could get stuck in vents overhead? Punters saw that as Aliens hunting the player and coupled with the motion tracker, this added to the atmosphere. A lack of health/ammo/weapons to find and pick up? More atmosphere because you couldn't afford to spray and pray.

So, AVP was a happy accident. They took the feedback and used it to finish off the game with how punters wanted to play it. This is why, outside of one of the coop maps, the game doesn't have that many moments with loads of Aliens attacking and often has long sections where you're not shooting much.

It had some glorious water and lighting effects though.

Note: This was told to me a few years ago by a mate. He was working at 2000AD when they were bought out by Rebellion, so he heard it second-hand, so I can't say all of the above is the absolute truth but it seems to add up and he's not known as a bullshitter.

hexa fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 6, 2013

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

glitchkrieg posted:

Hahahah oh gently caress. If that's true, that's hilarious. I remember being blown the gently caress away by the lighting in particular in AvP back when it released. I thought the flare launcher was the single most amazing mix of gameplay and atmosphere I'd yet seen.

Also, it's important to keep in mind just how many of the games that we thought had insanely fiendish AIs back in the 90s and early 00s were just clever game designers using things like fog of war and obscured sight lines to cover up some really :pwn: poo poo. Remember all those "diabolical ambushes" from your childhood spent playing XCOM? Watch a video of XCOM with fog of war disabled. Half the enemies are stuck in a bathroom stall at any given time. Lobotomized hamsters probably coordinate better.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Remember all those "diabolical ambushes" from your childhood spent playing XCOM? Watch a video of XCOM with fog of war disabled. Half the enemies are stuck in a bathroom stall at any given time. Lobotomized hamsters probably coordinate better.

I remember in Apocolypse I always had a hell of a time clearing the buildings because there'd always be at least *one* loving alien who decided the best vantage point would be atop the shitter. Though since it was usually a spitter maybe it was just a cutting commentary on Bulimia.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hahahah oh gently caress. If that's true, that's hilarious. I remember being blown the gently caress away by the lighting in particular in AvP back when it released. I thought the flare launcher was the single most amazing mix of gameplay and atmosphere I'd yet seen.

The dynamic coloured lighting and water effects were pretty much the best available at the time. I remember starting the Alien demo, where you spawn in a pool of water, and just running back and forth watching the water surface deform with ripples and debris bobbing up and down. The bunker multiplayer level also had some pretty volumetric effects I'd never seen before, although I think they might be scripted instead of generated.

These days I'm the kind of developer who would have just spent 90% of the time working on lighting, water and particles. Shame I'm mostly doing web dev :spergin:

quote:

Also, it's important to keep in mind just how many of the games that we thought had insanely fiendish AIs back in the 90s and early 00s were just clever game designers using things like fog of war and obscured sight lines to cover up some really :pwn: poo poo. Remember all those "diabolical ambushes" from your childhood spent playing XCOM? Watch a video of XCOM with fog of war disabled. Half the enemies are stuck in a bathroom stall at any given time. Lobotomized hamsters probably coordinate better.

Yeah, there are/were a lot of nifty tricks to make games look more intelligent than they really are. Game of Life, Boyds and even sine waves have a lot to answer for.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

glitchkrieg posted:

interesting AVP 2000 stuff

I remember when the original game was released there was no mid-level saving, or checkpointing, whatsoever. This had the effect of making gameplay incredibly tense, as your character could often be taken out in an instant. Saving was later added in a patch, but I'd be interested to know if leaving it out was a genuine gameplay decision or a happy accident.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
I am dominating these kids on A:CM Multiplayer, I want friends on the XBOX360 to play with!

GT: Slayer15977

I also have the AVP game from a few years back.

Edit: I do realize this game is terrible but I cant be the only person who bought it!

Slayer1597 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 6, 2013

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
Wow, I wonder if that droid AvP:E game will run on my One X.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

glitchkrieg posted:

Note: This was told to me a few years ago by a mate. He was working at 2000AD when they were bought out by Rebellion, so he heard it second-hand, so I can't say all of the above is the absolute truth but it seems to add up and he's not known as a bullshitter.
I could believe all of that.

It's a shame they haven't been able to replicate that experience for a modern AvP game, because what you described is a lot of what made AvPClassic loving terrifying.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

glitchkrieg posted:

Way back in the days of 1999, when 56k modems were the best connections most home users could afford, cover-mounted CDs were pretty much the only way to get exposure for an upcoming release. As the CDs were tied to publication dates demos would "go gold", in a similar way to full games, because the publication dates were a non-negotiable immovable deadline. Miss it and you miss featuring on that month's CD, which as they were often tied to exclusive offers, meant the relationship between the developer and the publisher would often be pretty much shafted and it could be difficult to recover from.

Rebellion was founded by two brothers. One, a charismatic and gifted salesman, who could handle the business side of things with ease. The other handled the development side of things and was a little "on the spectrum". Mr Business had landed an exclusive cover-mount release for their first AVP demo, with PC Zone (IIRC - I've probably still got the actual CD in storage somewhere). The deadline for getting a working demo off to Dennis Publishing was swiftly approaching, so Mr Business decided to review what they had.

It wasn't much. Mr Development had fallen into the trap that a lot of developers do - spend most time on the most interesting bits. He loved lighting and water and had devoted the majority of his time on trying out new techniques for his pet engine, with the rest of the dev work spread out across his team. They had a load of assets sorted but nothing more than a tech demo for the engine, instead of a playable demo to draw in punters.

The company went into crunch time. They grabbed one of the test environments, added some location-based monster spawns and churned out as much as they could. A basic goal of "get from your spawn to the Dropship" was given and they had a product they could send out to PC Zone, so people could at least walk around and shoot things.

They could see glaring errors in the demo and were poo poo-scared of the response. Except the response was overwhelmingly positive. Where they saw a mostly empty environment (mostly), punters saw atmosphere. A path-finding bug that meant Aliens had difficulty finding a player and could get stuck in vents overhead? Punters saw that as Aliens hunting the player and coupled with the motion tracker, this added to the atmosphere. A lack of health/ammo/weapons to find and pick up? More atmosphere because you couldn't afford to spray and pray.

So, AVP was a happy accident. They took the feedback and used it to finish off the game with how punters wanted to play it. This is why, outside of one of the coop maps, the game doesn't have that many moments with loads of Aliens attacking and often has long sections where you're not shooting much.

Wow, I actually remember this exact demo disc when I was a kid. It had sooooo many amazing demos on it, I think it was something ridiculous like close to 80 (or a ~100?) on one disc, AVP being the gem. A lot of games of which we never heard from again but I specifically remember AVP and the magazine ads for it giving me a hard on just thinking of playing a space marine holding a smartgun, of course, as much as I loved PC games I was a dumb kid and I didn't own a graphics card capable of playing the game so I couldn't play the demo :(. Ahhh, gently caress, nostalgia, those were the days when I used to browse the magazine section of the grocery store and theorize whether anyone would notice if I tore the plastic magazine covering and nabbed the demo discs. Downloading poo poo was NOT an option, I don't even think we had internet access back then.

I guess this is why A:CM bit me so hard because i've been yearning for that game since I was a child.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
loving AvP 1999 was the first game that made realize that graphics cards are a thing in your pc, because AvP was the first game that ran absolutely terrible and had these black boxes around all of it's effects! A flare was for me nothing but a thing that would turn a choppy game into a slideshow with black, squary smoke comming out of it. :tinfoil:

Then, there was also Mplayer. Oh god, Mplayer. :gonk:

Batham fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 7, 2013

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Execu-speak posted:

Wow, I wonder if that droid AvP:E game will run on my One X.

It runs on my (European - the US one has a different processor I believe) One X with everything set to high. It didn't run on my (dual core)tablet, it just crashed out after the loading screen

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Quote is not edit.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Batham posted:

loving AvP 1999 was the first game that made realize that graphics cards are a thing in your pc, because AvP was the first game that ran absolutely terrible and had these black boxes around all of it's effects! A flare was for me nothing but a thing that would turn a choppy game into a slideshow with black, squary smoke comming out of it. :tinfoil:

Then, there was also Mplayer. Oh god, Mplayer. :gonk:

Mplayer owned, lost a lot of hours playing Rogue Spear.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I remember being impressed with the volumetric explosions.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

I dunno guys I'm still having a lot of fun with AvP Evolution and it's one of the "featured" games in the app store and it's got a shitton of positive reviews... :shrug:

None of this means poo poo.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
You have to take Xenomrph with a grain of salt. He doesn't shove his opinion down others throats but the man loves Aliens. No reason to get upset about it though.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Sire Oblivion posted:

None of this means poo poo.

At least half of those reviews seem less than positive as well. "It's better than A:CM!" is not anywhere near a compliment, I think.

Nothing against Xeno, he's a cool dude, but you shouldn't buy AVP:E or take any video game suggestions from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

echronorian posted:

You have to take Xenomorph with a grain of salt. He doesn't shove his opinion down others throats
:golfclap:

• Locked thread