Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

dino. posted:

Clearly my mental picture of your surroundings is heavily tinted by my (very limited) understanding of farms and the country in general. What I know about farming and the rest you could fit on the point of a needle, and have room for angels to dance on it. In my head, there's the east coast, the west coast, and all that scary stuff in between what doesn't see the ocean and is like cows, corn, and soy. Possibly sheep. And trees and nature and junk. Basically, everything that fills me with terror. Like, mad respect to people who grow our food, right? But I'm going to hide here in my city and wish to never have to see it in person.

You're afraid of nature? You're the worst vegan ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
dino, I want to take you to the family farm, and show you how awesome farming is. (All of the buildings are red. None of them are painted... WITH PAINT)

Between both sides of my family, I think every facet of the agricultural industry is covered. My great-grandpa on mom's side is even greatly responsible for the popularity of Beefmaster cattle in Texas(gently caress you Angus!)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Totally Reasonable posted:

It'd be cheaper (and equally traumatizing) to just ditch him in Battle Mountain for a month.

Is this like candy mountain? gently caress mountains, though. After hiking in Ecuador, I'm done. I don't like dirt, and I don't like getting dirty, and I don't like bugs and junk.

I mean, we had veg in our garden in Florida, and I'd ask my dad to go get the stuff, because I didn't like getting near the dirt.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

dino. posted:

Is this like candy mountain?

If you mean will they steal your organs when you pass out? Yes, yes it is like candy mountain.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dino. posted:

because I didn't like getting near the dirt.

You're such a queen, dino. It's adorable. :3:

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Is it hard to get ahold of cheese curds in most places? Even the cheese stand in my local Kroger carries passable squeaky lil' Wisconsin curds, but perhaps that's a function of proximity (NW Ohio)...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

rj54x posted:

Is it hard to get ahold of cheese curds in most places? Even the cheese stand in my local Kroger carries passable squeaky lil' Wisconsin curds, but perhaps that's a function of proximity (NW Ohio)...

Hard? No. Impossible? Yes. Cheese curds are such a regional thing - here in NC most people wouldn't even know what they are. This is to our detriment.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

rj54x posted:

poo poo, I live 15 minutes away from the cheese curd capital OF THE WORLD!!! (So says the sign on the way into town), Ellsworth Wisconsin!

I can make fries just fine and the creamery can supply all the melty squeaky cheese stuffs ill need, but I need to be able to duplicate the Ontario, Quebec style brown gravy served at various bars and places serving drunks in the Great White North.

Any suggestions other than beef gravy from a can??

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
No because it's mostly instant gravy that they use. Just make a really salty beef gravy and add some mushroom stuff for extra umami. The gravy should be salty enough that you don't need to salt the fries.

Also people might be surprised, but there's likely a local cheesery place near you - it may be worthwhile to track down these small places since they usually do a fresh curd like thing.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Thicken some beef base with corn starch, add a bit of butter, and plenty of pepper. Thats what you're getting at those bars.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

mediaphage posted:

No because it's mostly instant gravy that they use.

I'm guessing it's a Commonwealth thing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Hard? No. Impossible? Yes. Cheese curds are such a regional thing - here in NC most people wouldn't even know what they are. This is to our detriment.

I am so sorry for your loss. I have three cheeseries within 20 miles and my neighbor makes cheese in her basement so I get all the curds I want.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

I am so sorry for your loss. I have three cheeseries within 20 miles and my neighbor makes cheese in her basement so I get all the curds I want.

I just found a dairy farm in NC that sells 12-oz packages of cheese curds so I impulsively purchased two packages.

Now, uh, what do I do with them?? haaaalllp

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

I hope that's not a euphemism.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
gently caress i love coffee

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

The Midniter posted:

I just found a dairy farm in NC that sells 12-oz packages of cheese curds so I impulsively purchased two packages.

Just called my cheesemonger and had them put an order in for a bunch of fresh curds to arrive next week.

Then the feeding begins.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The Midniter posted:

Eat them. Now, while they're still squeaky. Once they're not, then bread and deep fry. That is the Wisconsin way.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
I am also a fan of cheese.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
gently caress tradition, make poutine with chicken liver gravy.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hello everyone.

So, as it turns out, a "chip butty" is really good even though I'm ashamed to admit it due to the fact that it sounds disgusting. Hoever, today I read an article and there's a "bacon butty". What the gently caress is that? Is it basically a BLT without the L&T? You Brits are weird. Explain to me what one is and why it is good or why it is bad. That's goonier than french fries and butter on white bread. What the hell.

Also, here's the article. It comes from the "Well I'm glad we spent money to figure that out" category.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 7, 2013

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

BLT - LT = Bacon Butty. More or less. They are glorious in their simplicity.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

They're usually best with a generous blob of brown sauce on them (i.e. something like HP Sauce, but more commonly just a generic brand)

That said, I don't really care for them.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bacon roll > bacon butty

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
I suppose this is the culinary equivalent of drawing a picture of Mohamed

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

SubG posted:

I also think that Seventeenth Century conversational sensibilities ought to be taken as normative and anyone who feels otherwise is a dandyprat grumbletonian who can go suck cackling farts.
There is nothing about this sentence that isn't great. :allears:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

ZetsurinPower posted:

This is... incredible... and will be my facebook cover page

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

No Wave posted:

This is... incredible... and will be my facebook cover page

Pah. Old hat.

Good god, Green & Black's Sea Salt chocolate is fiendishly good.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

therattle posted:

Good god, Green & Black's Sea Salt chocolate is fiendishly good.

I enjoy your posts best when I read them in the main character's voice from there will be blood.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

ZetsurinPower posted:

gently caress the haters. Use a good hot dog, and then top this with a good homemade cheese sauce and this would be delicious.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Doom Rooster posted:

gently caress the haters. Use a good hot dog, and then top this with a good homemade cheese sauce and this would be delicious.

You are advocating boiling a hot dog for 8-10 minutes?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

mich posted:

I'm no hot dog expert but could it hurt it? Seems like it wouldn't be any worse.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mich posted:

Do it with some decent brats and boil in Shiner Bock.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Do it with some decent brats and boil in Shiner Bock.

Drink the Shiner, and feed the spaghotdogs to someone who doesn't know better.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Oh yeah so the other day I was out fixing fence on a little rise above the river and I about tripped over this thing:

It's a metate. I didn't see the mano that goes with it anywhere, but that's not uncommon from what I understand. No idea on the age - it could be Paiute or it could be Clovis culture. There's a ton of petroglyphs out here, both pre and post European contact, and there hasn't really been a lot of work in demarcating the differing material cultures of the peoples in the area. One thing's for sure - this probably ground up a hell of a lot of pine nuts and cattail roots.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That's amazing. Are they common enough that you can start using it in your kitchen?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

They're not very common. On the other hand, it's basalt, so it's not like I'd hurt it if I decided I needed an extra large mortar.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

You should have an archaeologist look at that. How would you date basalt, anyway?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They're not very common. On the other hand, it's basalt, so it's not like I'd hurt it if I decided I needed an extra large mortar.
this is super awesome. I would kill for an antique rear end mortar straight out of the desert. :<

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
So 5 days in Miami have taught me that Cubans are the masters of both coffee and pastries. Their cuisine is visually best described as "wad of meat with rice" but I am so in love with it I almost want to live here.

What is the most efficient way for me to learn Spanish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

FishBulb posted:

I'm no hot dog expert but could it hurt it? Seems like it wouldn't be any worse.

Most hot dogs you buy are already cooked, boiling for so long would just be boiling seasoning and flavor out of the hot dog.