Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Dillon's Rolling Western was already mentioned, so I'll go ahead and plug Mutant Mudds. It's a retro "12-bit" (their description) platformer where you various blobs of mud that are out to kill you. It's a fairly long game; there are 20 regular levels, 20 secret levels (one in each of the regular levels) themed after the Game Boy and the Virtual Boy, and another 20 extra levels once you've beaten the first 40. There's even a free demo that you can try.

It's normally $9, but starting on March 21 it'll be available for just $6 as part of that deal where a bunch of eShop games are a few dollars off for a week at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Speaking of that sale, I can very much recommend both Sakura Samurai and Ketzal's Corridors at $5 apiece.

Sakura Samurai shares a lot of DNA with Punchout; you go through various stages via world map beating up groups of bandits and thugs on the way to bosses with a combat system that relies heavily on dodging and reading enemy cues. There’s a few things that could have been done better, like, I wish that all the towns didn’t contain the exact same NPCs, but if you like these kinds of games, the main mechanics are very solid and fun. Never finished it myself.

Ketzal's Corridors is a puzzle game that has you twisting and rotating one of several tetromino type blocks through gauntlets of walls with various holes in them, in three dimensions. The difficulty is in the fact that the goal isn’t just to fit through the holes, but also to hover over and line up neatly with every square of open space in the hole before you enter it for a higher score and more collectibles. The levels are all nice to look at and there’s a lot of variety and slight twists and alternate level types from beginning to end. Getting a gold medal and all of the stunt bonuses on most of the levels was too much for my poor brain to handle, but I might have another go at mastering it. Definitely the kind of game who's mechanics feel almost overwhelming at first, but then feels really good once you get the hang of thinking in rotational 3D terms. There’s a ton of content for people who like getting 100 percent or beating their own high scores. 5 bucks is a total steal for this game.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 24, 2013

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
Just curious, at what time do new retail releases get unlocked to be downloaded on the eSHop? I'm eyeing Etrian Odyssey IV and was curious as to when it might finally DING and go on sale - are we talking midnight PST or noon PST?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sloth Socks posted:

Just curious, at what time do new retail releases get unlocked to be downloaded on the eSHop? I'm eyeing Etrian Odyssey IV and was curious as to when it might finally DING and go on sale - are we talking midnight PST or noon PST?

Fire Emblem Awakening came out at midnight EST time, while the regular releases are Thursday at noon eastern.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of February 28):

quote:

WIIWARE
    Reel Fishing Ocean Challenge - 500 Points
    Retro City Rampage - 1000 Points
3DS eSHOP
    Splash or Crash - €2.99 / £2.69
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    PAC-MAN (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
DSiWARE
    Easter Eggztravaganza - 500 Points / €4.99 / £4.49
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Trine 2: Director's Cut (Wii U eShop) - 25% off until March 7
    F-ZERO (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30, available until March 21

Whaddya know, Retro City Rampage finally came out, and only several months after people found out how terrible it is on every other platform!

Splash or Crash is a game about dropping a rock (and other objects) down a well... you might remember it from one of the early E3 trailer reels, it's been out in Japan for a long time. Looks okay, and they've priced it reasonably.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 26, 2013

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL update (week of February 21):

Splash or Crash is a game about dropping a rock (and other objects) down a well... you might remember it from one of the early E3 trailer reels, it's been out in Japan for a long time. Looks okay, and they've priced it reasonably.

It was also in one of the more recent Nintendo Directs. The US version of the game is going to be titled Kersploosh for whatever reason.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Weird, I don't see Splash or Crash up at all yet.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's out on the 28th, that's why. Forgot to change the date when I cut/pasted the template.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Do my coins expire if I don't use them? I've gone a bit past platinum thanks to the Wii U I bought, but I haven't redeemed any coins at all, and I don't see anything that appeals to me in the rewards list yet.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I keep checking this thread hoping for a PAL demo for Fire Emblem/EO4 :smith:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Argue posted:

Do my coins expire if I don't use them? I've gone a bit past platinum thanks to the Wii U I bought, but I haven't redeemed any coins at all, and I don't see anything that appeals to me in the rewards list yet.

yeah if you go to Accounts and Coins and look at the coins tab, it'll tell you if any of them are expiring. They usually take several years, though, so you should be fine.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
You're probably going to want to stop registering anything you have until after June though, because additional coins past platinum won't count toward next year's.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Runner 2 and EO4 are both up on their respective eShops in NA, but I'm sure anyone who was interested in 'em probably knows that by now.

Also worth noting: Nano Assault Neo went up on the JP eShop today, and if memory serves correct it's their first non-retail Wii U eShop game, period.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shin'en just announced a March 7 release for Nano Assault EX (3DS) on the PAL eShop, and the NA release shouldn't be too far away. It's an enhanced version of the Nano Assault retail game that adds an extra mode or two, Circle Pad Pro support and various other fixes/tweaks.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Anyone play Picdun 2 yet? Seems interesting enough for $5 (vs Unchained Blades for $30).

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Unchained Blades was a full retail release with a cartridge/disk and everything for the 3DS and PSP in Japan, but when XSEED localized it they released it as digital only here in NA. It's a full length game, easily 30-50+ hours from most accounts I've heard/read, with amazing presentation as long as you don't violently react to anime or manga. Apparently there's some design issues that get in the way and it's fairly difficult, but general consensus seems to be if you liked the Etrian Odyssey series or Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey then it's something to consider taking a look at. I've been meaning to pick it up, but I haven't had the spare $30 since I picked up a larger SD card for my 3DS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
jrjyr

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 14, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

(or at least a port of that version with the NES limitations intact)

Technical limitations at least. Pretty sure political limitations at Nintendo would never have allowed running people over in cars in those days (despite the presence of Chiller, but that was more removed from everyday reality than this).

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone know when/if Europe gets Runner 2?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Technical limitations at least. Pretty sure political limitations at Nintendo would never have allowed running people over in cars in those days (despite the presence of Chiller, but that was more removed from everyday reality than this).

:eng101: Chiller was unlicensed so it wouldn't matter what Nintendo thought of it.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Regarding the FE:A DLC, weak Nintendo, that DLC was technically already released last week.

Hopefully next week we'll get two maps again like last week. I know I'm not the only one looking forward to Lost Bloodlines 2.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Onean posted:

Unchained Blades was a full retail release with a cartridge/disk and everything for the 3DS and PSP in Japan, but when XSEED localized it they released it as digital only here in NA. It's a full length game, easily 30-50+ hours from most accounts I've heard/read, with amazing presentation as long as you don't violently react to anime or manga. Apparently there's some design issues that get in the way and it's fairly difficult, but general consensus seems to be if you liked the Etrian Odyssey series or Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey then it's something to consider taking a look at. I've been meaning to pick it up, but I haven't had the spare $30 since I picked up a larger SD card for my 3DS.

I have EO4 and that's a great game, but most reviews for UC complained of extremely excessive grinding due to necessasity to relevel different parties in pretty much same dungeon. Plus apparently enemy variety is somewhat lacking. I might give it a shot on Vita since its going for $15 there, I guess.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

oblomov posted:

I have EO4 and that's a great game, but most reviews for UC complained of extremely excessive grinding due to necessasity to relevel different parties in pretty much same dungeon. Plus apparently enemy variety is somewhat lacking. I might give it a shot on Vita since its going for $15 there, I guess.

Yeah, they're full of poo poo. I'm in Chapter 4, and the only two instances of repeating dungeons so far is one very brief part of Chapter 2 (where they try to go where your party went in Chapter 1, but they don't have the key to continue) and Chapter 3, which does put you in the same dungeon as Chapter 4, but it's in a completely different (and much smaller) area, and you get through it really quickly. By far the worst part of the game is the Follower Battles, but you can avoid excess grinding for those as long as you're diligent in keeping your monster selection current.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Interesting. Will give it a shot for $15 on PSP version.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Unchained blades would have been a way better game if they reworked basically everything related to followers. The only way I found to consistently capture them was to have my caster hit them with a stick over and over while everyone else defended, and the reason I quit playing was that even with 30 decently leveled followers I couldn't clear the mandatory follower battle in the 2nd chapter no matter how many times I tried.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of March 7):

quote:

WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Metal Slug 4 (Neo Geo) - 900 Points
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (March 8) - €44.99 / £39.99
3DS eSHOP
    Nano Assault EX - €14.99 / £12.49
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Legend of the River King (Game Boy Colour) - €4.99 / £4.49
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Trine 2: Director's Cut (Wii U eShop) - 25% off until March 7
    F-ZERO (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30, available until March 21

Be sure to play the Castlevania demo before shelling out for the full game - if you think it's gonna be another 2D SOTN-style game you will be sorely disappointed.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I had a really weird problem last night, I was trying to play some NES games on the VC, which I guess I haven't done in the past 3 years, as my tv wouldn't display them. I had sound, but no picture. It turned out that the problem is that the Wii displays stuff in its original resolution, for NES games that resolution is too low for my tv to handle. The solution was, I think, to force it to upscale to 480i by hitting a button combination while on the Operations Manual screen.

Just wondering, does anyone know why Nintendo did this, instead of having games upscale by default?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

If you hook a Wii up to a CRT television it's almost exactly like playing with a real NES is why.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Boten Anna posted:

If you hook a Wii up to a CRT television it's almost exactly like playing with a real NES is why.

So Nintendo were catering to the hardcore fans rather than the casuals? That doesn't sound right at all!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

irlZaphod posted:

I had a really weird problem last night, I was trying to play some NES games on the VC, which I guess I haven't done in the past 3 years, as my tv wouldn't display them. I had sound, but no picture. It turned out that the problem is that the Wii displays stuff in its original resolution, for NES games that resolution is too low for my tv to handle. The solution was, I think, to force it to upscale to 480i by hitting a button combination while on the Operations Manual screen.

Just wondering, does anyone know why Nintendo did this, instead of having games upscale by default?

Because 240p/Arcade Mode/whatever you want to call it is how older console signals (up to and including most Saturn/PS1/N64 titles, and even a few Dreamcast/PS2/actually Wii titles) were sent to the TV, and it means they don't have to change the buffer code.

A lot of component ADCs just interpret whatever analog signals map to DTV spec (480/576 i/p, 720p, 1080i/p). Note that 240p isn't on that list, and can't simply be rendered like 480i because the signaling is kinda really different.

Try composite cables. Seriously. I'd suggest a better TV, but I'm pretty sure any improvement from three-year-old ADCs can be attributed to whatever quality floor their manufacture has these days, and there's a decent chance they won't even be there in a few years.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 4, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I didn't think the Wii actually transmitted any video signals at 240p, even for VC games. The home menu definitely isn't that low-res, and NES games seamlessly transition to it when you hit the home button.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Supercar Gautier posted:

I didn't think the Wii actually transmitted any video signals at 240p, even for VC games. The home menu definitely isn't that low-res, and NES games seamlessly transition to it when you hit the home button.

240p can still run 720 samples per line like 480i can. (At least it's not like the PS2, which was all over the place with its samples per line.)

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

PAL update (week of March 7):

Legend of the River King

Ooooh I hope this comes to the US shop.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I had a CRT when I got my Wii, and I was amazed at the difference when I got an HDTV, even though the Wii of course isn't an HD part. Even though the visible area didn't change much if at all, I felt like it looked much, much better.

OTOH the CRT I had was from 1981, so I suppose newer CRTs might look nicer.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Typically when do digital downloads for new releases (Read: Monster Hunter :black101:) become available?

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

68k posted:

Ooooh I hope this comes to the US shop.

Got announced for the US at a Nintendo Direct, along with Harvest Moon GBC.

Looking forward to tomorrow to buy it and then realise that actually it was poo poo.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I only got a taste of the SNES Harvest Moon growing up, but played some of the 64 version before playing it on GBC and pouring a few weeks of my childhood into it.

The GBC version is okay, but lacks a lot of the involved holidays / romance / inventory of later iterations and similar games. If you want it for GBC graphics, have at it, but more recent Harvest Moons will probably provide deeper satisfaction/obsession.

Also, I'd like to reiterate that Game Boy Goemon is a pile of poo poo and harmed my love of the series. You have been warned!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
hahah £40 to download the new castlevania? They must be having a laugh. Now it's just even more depressing because I just know that all the upcoming games are going to cost that much too.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Space Fish posted:

Also, I'd like to reiterate that Game Boy Goemon is a pile of poo poo and harmed my love of the series. You have been warned!

I still own a physical copy of the game, and yet I bought it on the eShop despite knowing how bad it is, all because I want Konami to know that I will throw piles of money for more Goemon games. It's unfortunate that it looks like Konami will never release another older franchise game that isn't Western God of Castlevania or some other Silent Hill game of questionable quality. I'll even take a new Gradius or Parodius as long as it isn't a creepy as poo poo Otomedius game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

hahah £40 to download the new castlevania? They must be having a laugh. Now it's just even more depressing because I just know that all the upcoming games are going to cost that much too.

Cut out the middle man and pay more!