Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Alcoholism posted:

Just play a lot and lose a lot and get better, man.
I know but none of the current fighting games are even fun enough to enjoy losing to get better.

Maybe I need to try to get into persona again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Fayk posted:

Wait for a tourney+sale. Better to wait or spend a little more and get something actually good. Which platforms are you looking for, anyways?

Mainly PC, but preferably something with 360 support if possible.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Brosnan posted:

Madcatz TEs and Eightarc sticks are high quality and plentiful, and there are frequent sales on them during major events. The X-Arcade is not even in the realm of actual sticks that any reasonable person would use.

There are a couple of versions out there for $100 right now -

http://store.gameshark.com/searchResults.asp?keyWord=fightstick

I've played on a X-Arcade...it feels cheap. Invest a little more and have two sticks that are quality.

If price is the big thing, you can get the WWE Brawl Stick for about $50 on Amazon, it's not as good as the TE but still better than the X-Arcade.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I know but none of the current fighting games are even fun enough to enjoy losing to get better.

ggpo! ggpo! GGPO!

Getting good at ST will make you good at like, every ground based FG.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

miscellaneous14 posted:

Mainly PC, but preferably something with 360 support if possible.

In case you didnt know, 360 controllers/sticks work on PC with no effort. Plug it in, moments later Windows figures it out and all's well.

If you really just want something cheap, theres always this
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-WWE-Stars-Brawl-Stick/dp/B004M23RAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362526152&sr=8-1&keywords=xbox+360+arcade+stick

But really, the TE and equivalents are the way to go and are on sale for about 100 bucks frequently. Too bad you missed it, the Soul Calibur TE sticks were about 55 on Amazon recently.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I read a review on one of the SF4 TEs that mentioned some compatibility troubles on PC, but it was probably just due to it being an older model. I'll just wait until there's a considerable enough sale on a preferred stick that I can afford to grab two.

Apparently Razer is still beta-testing their own stick, which has me interested, though given their history it'll probably be obscenely expensive.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

All you dipshits knocking the X-Aracade need to watch the enormous Entourage clip that autoplays on their page. Turtle says it makes you superhuman...

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Play Third Strike, it's a good game. (Also on GGPO)

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

miscellaneous14 posted:

I read a review on one of the SF4 TEs that mentioned some compatibility troubles on PC, but it was probably just due to it being an older model. I'll just wait until there's a considerable enough sale on a preferred stick that I can afford to grab two.

Apparently Razer is still beta-testing their own stick, which has me interested, though given their history it'll probably be obscenely expensive.

The PS3 TE is the one with "some" PC compatibility issues (doesn't work with non-UHCI USB controllers). The 360 one has no known issues like that. Only the very very early 360 ones had a rare (and solved by replugging it) issue where some buttons stopped working temporarily (not PC specific)

Razer has also basically said nothing about it (afaik) for over a year.

brian posted:

Play Third Strike, it's a good game. (Also on GGPO)

No, they only have Street Fighter Tres!

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Xbox-360-Real-Arcade-Pro/dp/B008DDBMSK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362560127&sr=8-2&keywords=hori+vx+sa

Hori VX SA Kai, 122$

It's full Sanwa, very sturdy, a bit bigger then a TE and pretty awesome. Got 2 of these babies a few weeks ago and I like them more than the TEs.
These new versions have more hand room (stick is further away from the buttons) and switchable start button. Great stick.

Edit: They work fine on PC

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
I have an HRAP VX and it's probably my favorite stick, but just know that there is less wrist room than a TE and also it's a bit lighter. I actually like the old version because the stick placement is the same as a vewlix cab.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo X360 dudes, Virtua Fighter 2 / Fighting Vipers / Sonic the Fighters are $2 each on XBLA right now. At least two of those games are worth that amount of money.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yo X360 dudes, Virtua Fighter 2 / Fighting Vipers / Sonic the Fighters are $2 each on XBLA right now. At least two of those games are worth that amount of money.

Is it Sonic the Fighters + Sonic the Fighters. Are those the two games?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I picked up all three and already 200/200'd Sonic the Fighters. It's not a great fighting game, but for $2 it's not too bad if you want a quick and easy 200 gamerscore, and/or just want something to have on hand to play with friends/family who want to mash buttons for a while.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Fayk posted:

Based on? I mean, I think SF4 is terrible and boring, but it's not without a certain amount of 'skill'. Even if a huge amount of it is in the boring combo system's dependency on links and stuff, but fundamentally, skill is borne out in tourney results. Again, as far as marvel are you only comparing to SF4?

Yeah, I'm comparing it to SF4. Comparing it to Marvel is an apples and oranges exercise, they're barely even in the same genre, they occupy the two furthermost extremes and have very little in common. SF4 is still hugely popular, it's a pretty relevant comparison, and SFxT is a way more interesting game than SF4.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOczArgHDOw

This alone justifies buying Sonic the Fighters.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Periodiko posted:

Comparing it to Marvel is an apples and oranges exercise, they're barely even in the same genre, they occupy the two furthermost extremes and have very little in common.

Dude are you even remotely serious?

How are they "barely" in the same genre?
SFxT and Marvel aren't even that far from each other.
If you want an extreme within in the genre, try comparing something like Super Turbo to Fate: Unlimited Codes (which are still both published by Capcom, ironically). That's not even delving into non-traditional fighters like Power Stone or Virtual-On.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Sfxt is more interesting than sf4 in that there is more ridiculous,retarded and bad stuff you can find!

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Shiki Dan posted:

Dude are you even remotely serious?

How are they "barely" in the same genre?
SFxT and Marvel aren't even that far from each other.

If you seriously think Marvel is played anything like a Street Fighter game, you're retarded, or really bad at Marvel.

Buhbuhj posted:

Sfxt is more interesting than sf4 in that there is more ridiculous,retarded and bad stuff you can find!

Like what?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Here's a pro tip: You are a loser who likes Sfxt and literally no one is on your side! Feel free to call everyone morons for not liking your game though that's fine. :bravo2:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Stop just piling on Periodiko. The groupthink around SFxT is ridiculous. If you don't like it, fine, but a lot of people legitimately have fun playing the game. And I think SF4 is boring as poo poo outside of the very best players. The game is way too focused around set plays and relatively mindless unblockable/vortex situations. It's like every top tier character has Chun Li's ST neck breaker where you can't read cross ups because the player doesn't know where it's going to hit either.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Periodiko posted:

Like what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpIlOkiNL7Y

b0lt fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 6, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Buhbuhj posted:

Here's a pro tip: You are a loser who likes Sfxt and literally no one is on your side! Feel free to call everyone morons for not liking your game though that's fine. :bravo2:

For the record, I find SFxT to be pretty fun.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

This is pre-patch though

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

b0lt posted:

YouTube Video

That's not in the current build of SFxT, it would have been better to post the video of the Kuma freeze that happens when you Cross Art out Blanka.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I dunno I think this game is kool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1zijGXHJo0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91kTg2Jl53A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP5OH4HHE_M

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

ZerodotJander posted:

Stop just piling on Periodiko. The groupthink around SFxT is ridiculous. If you don't like it, fine, but a lot of people legitimately have fun playing the game. And I think SF4 is boring as poo poo outside of the very best players. The game is way too focused around set plays and relatively mindless unblockable/vortex situations. It's like every top tier character has Chun Li's ST neck breaker where you can't read cross ups because the player doesn't know where it's going to hit either.

Did you actually read the thread? No one really cares if a person likes a given game; it's when you do this obnoxious sanctimonious bullshit where everyone else is a bunch of dumb stream-monster sheeple because they're unable to comprehend the true genius of Ono's design vision that everyone is going to make fun of you, and you would deserve it for being an insufferable d-bag.

If Periodiko gets "piled on" it's because he's a terrible poster who invites it on himself by saying stupid things.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I dunno, seems like Periodiko is saying "Hey this game has changed and is pretty fun now, you should stop dogpiling on the game" and a few other people are saying "No SFxT sucks, anybody who would say it's better than SF4 in any way is a shitposter who has bad opinions or a shill for Capcom."

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

*replies to post about the last video being prepatch footage with three videos being prepatch footage*

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Brosnan posted:

Did you actually read the thread? No one really cares if a person likes a given game; it's when you do this obnoxious sanctimonious bullshit where everyone else is a bunch of dumb stream-monster sheeple because they're unable to comprehend the true genius of Ono's design vision that everyone is going to make fun of you, and you would deserve it for being an insufferable d-bag.

If Periodiko gets "piled on" it's because he's a terrible poster who invites it on himself by saying stupid things.

Several people said "it's boring to watch" as if that's a legit criticism of a game tho

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

jivjov posted:

For the record, I find SFxT to be pretty fun.

Yeah I'm just trying to get a reaction cause he's still going at it and it's pretty funny.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ZerodotJander posted:

I dunno, seems like Periodiko is saying "Hey this game has changed and is pretty fun now, you should stop dogpiling on the game" and a few other people are saying "No SFxT sucks, anybody who would say it's better than SF4 in any way is a shitposter who has bad opinions or a shill for Capcom."

A big thing is that the current game is good when compared to the launch version, and the current version in a vacuum is still not a very good game. There are still too many timeouts, throws still have the worst hitbox in history, it's still a mess of DLC, there are an assload of tacked-on bullshit mechanics that (when it turns out they were terrible and broken) got nerfed into uselessness, walk speeds are too slow, stages are too large, boost cancels and link-only special cancels combine to create a huge execution hurdle for new players, the watercolor graphic filter is hideous, stage backgrounds have too much blinding bullshit in them, super animations are too long and don't stop any timers, etc. Not to mention that if you have a problem with AE as a game, SFxT literally ports those problems before adding in new problems because the engine is mostly copy-pasted.

Just because SFxT2013 is better doesn't mean it's actually any good.

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Several people said "it's boring to watch" as if that's a legit criticism of a game tho

If playing the game involves watching it, being boring to watch is a legit criticism.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

It used to be for a long enough time that it's etched into their brains. I like watching it now since now there's not an automatic timeover for every match. It's starting to feel like watching Tekken mixed with Street Fighter for once.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

RIP Swag Kick :qq: Gone but not forgotten.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Brosnan posted:

Give me a loving break. I've tried to be civil, but it's pretty hard when it's impossible to even recommend a game without a half dozen people making GBS threads on it, most of whom don't follow the game, some of whom haven't even played it since the last update. You in particular have been a huge douchebag, passive aggressively posting about me and posting videos that aren't even relevant. I mean seriously Brosnan, you're going to get all bitchy about elitism?

Normally, an appeal to groupthink would be pretty goofy, but here's the thing - you all are actually acting like a bunch of groupthinking, bandwagoning assholes! "literally no one is on your side". Nevermind that a bunch of people have chimed in that they like the game and that is literally not true, you're literally just invoking consensus to try and shut down discussion of the game. Good lord.

The game is a lot of fun, is popular with a lot of high-profile players and streamers, and has a lot of unexplored depth. It's not going anywhere, and is going to stay popular for the short term at least. Moaning about it isn't going to make people like real Tekken, or the latest airdash fighter, or whatever you hope to accomplish by being assholes. I don't give a poo poo whether you like the game or not, I just want to be able to play and talk about the game without having a brigade of people hating on a game they barely remember.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 6, 2013

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

Broken Loose posted:

Not to mention that if you have a problem with AE as a game, SFxT literally ports those problems before adding in new problems because the engine is mostly copy-pasted.

This is invalid for 2 reasons - first, just because most of the game engine is the same doesn't mean it plays the same. ST shares the same basic engine as Super SF2, but it plays very differently on many fundamental levels, much larger differences than say between versions of SF4.

Second, even if that is the case, that just means the game's upper cap is low. Until people figure out all the unblockables and canned frame traps like they have for SF4, the game will stay more interesting in the way I want it to be interesting.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
There's a thread for SfxT. It is a thing that exists. People there would love to talk about that game, in that thread. You know, the one about that game.

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

Periodiko posted:

Give me a loving break. I've tried to be civil, but it's pretty hard when it's impossible to even recommend a game without a half dozen people making GBS threads on it, most of whom don't follow the game, some of whom haven't even played it since the last update. You in particular have been a huge douchebag, passive aggressively posting about me and posting videos that aren't even relevant. I mean seriously Brosnan, you're going to get all bitchy about elitism?

Normally, an appeal to groupthink would be pretty goofy, but here's the thing - you all are actually acting like a bunch of groupthinking, bandwagoning assholes! "literally no one is on your side". Nevermind that a bunch of people have chimed in that they like the game and that is literally not true, you're literally just invoking consensus to try and shut down discussion of the game. Good lord.

The game is a lot of fun, is popular with a lot of high-profile players and streamers, and has a lot of unexplored depth. It's not going anywhere, and is going to stay popular for the short term at least. Moaning about it isn't going to make people like real Tekken, or the latest airdash fighter, or whatever you hope to accomplish by being assholes. I don't give a poo poo whether you like the game or not, I just want to be able to play and talk about the game without having a brigade of people hating on a game they barely remember.

Here is your new home, then.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
You people are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
:parrot: YOU PEOPLE??? :parrot:

• Locked thread