Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I was one of the people who said they'd suffer for launching too early, and it definitely looks like I was wrong. The kickstarter crowd is much gentler than I thought. I wonder what property they'll resurrect next. Note: I don't see this as a bad thing. In fact, I'm all for it.

Like a few others in here, I pledged for the early bird discount, but I won't be giving as much as I did for WL2 or PE. I might if they needed it to cover their goal, but, uh, obviously they do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Well those of us who thought people would be leery about this have been proven utterly wrong.

I really am amazed they didn't have any difficulty at all raising the money.

I was completely cynical about the project when I first heard what it was and that it wasn't actually a Planescape game, but then I did my reading and watched the videos and then I was willing to part with twice the cost of a normal game to see it happen. I really enjoyed that pitch and it looks really, really good.

Though I have since lowered my pledge to $77, but I'll easily be willing to raise it again if the stretch goals look good.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Mojo Jojo posted:

I really am amazed.

Even the most cynical view would see this as a good thing though, as it means that there's extra cash floating around to ensure Wasteland 2 happens.

Wasteland 2 is already well on its way. I mean, you may perceive me as a sheep here, but I can't help but take the raw in-game demonstration as a show of good faith from inXile. It showed a game that was going to come out (hell, I may not enjoy said game but from what I saw I doubt that'll be the case).

Twenty dollars for a spiritual successor to PS:T with a lot of the creative minds that created that scenario? A bet I'm willing to take.

Edit: Remember, Fallout was a spiritual successor to Wastland. Just because it isn't the same environ doesn't mean it's worthless.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

ekuNNN posted:

I wonder what amount they'll end up on. I'm guessing ~3 or 4 million probably?

They're going to break 10m. Mark my words. They're currently headed at a faster rate than Ouya, with virtually no detractors, tons of nostalgia propelling them, and time zones simply messing with their potential (a launch during workday timing*). They will get any number they ask for on their highest stretch goals, especially if they get enough people to increase their pledges with add-ons.

* East coast NA relative, that is.

EDIT: 7 hours flat for 1m. They launched at around 8:50am my time, it just hit 3:51pm while they crossed over the mark.

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 6, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

seorin posted:

I was one of the people who said they'd suffer for launching too early, and it definitely looks like I was wrong. The kickstarter crowd is much gentler than I thought. I wonder what property they'll resurrect next. Note: I don't see this as a bad thing. In fact, I'm all for it.

Maybe they did suffer. If Wasteland 2 had been released and was great and they launched it then they might have hit their goal in three hours instead of six. :stare:

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

Chris Taylor is going to drink himself to sleep tonight.

No you don't understand there's no market or support for isometric PC rpgs anymore, the future of the PC is always online and F2P.

And if people do want a AAA game, they want it to have the newest tech (like Unreal 4) have loads of awesome customizable powers. They dont want a story!!

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
So what's there left to resurrect now? Wasteland 2, P:E and Torment tap the old RPG nerds segment and DFA and few other games are filling the lack of adventure games void. I guess something like BG3 could be huge, but I'm not sure WotC is too keen on Kickstarter.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Zilkin posted:

So what's there left to resurrect now?

It's time a bunch of old tabletop digital licenses got freed up again, but too bad a lot of them used to sign console-exclusive contracts at the time.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Zilkin posted:

So what's there left to resurrect now? Wasteland 2, P:E and Torment tap the old RPG nerds segment and DFA and few other games are filling the lack of adventure games void. I guess something like BG3 could be huge, but I'm not sure WotC is too keen on Kickstarter.

They're too busy putting together Neverwinter as a F2P MMO. :v:
(no, seriously, they are)

Because money

Now what would be interesting is if someone could figure out how to get the Freespace license, a bunch of old Volition designers, and Kickstart Freespace 3. As long as the designers and developers had the pedigree needed, that might hit targets even faster than Torment.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Zilkin posted:

Wizardy series [although that's technically still alive in Japan] and Ultima [lol EA]. Something from Roberta/Ken Williams, but they're apparently retired, so I'm not sure if they'd be interested in coming back to the industry.

Personally, I want a new isometric Dark Sun game.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zilkin posted:

So what's there left to resurrect now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2AhjhYWDUM

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Great Rumbler posted:

Wizardy series [although that's technically still alive in Japan] and Ultima [lol EA]. Something from Roberta/Ken Williams, but they're apparently retired, so I'm not sure if they'd be interested in coming back to the industry.

Personally, I want a new isometric Dark Sun game.

http://www.lordbritishpresents.com/ :colbert:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Great Rumbler posted:

I think Garriot is going to do an Ultima Kickstarter the day after tomorrow.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Or you know a fresh IP if after Wasteland 2 they've established their credibility as RPG creators and have proven the viability of the new business model. Yeah the kickstarters wouldn't have taken off if not for the nostalgic appeal, but if they prove themselves capable developers I think they could confidently pitch something original.

e:Though a sequel to one of the revived properties would be unsurprising.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 6, 2013

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Great Rumbler posted:

Wizardy series [although that's technically still alive in Japan]

It's also alive in MMO form now, Wizardry Online just came out earlier this year.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Veib posted:

It's also alive in MMO form now, Wizardry Online just came out earlier this year.

Yeah, I don't care about that in slightest. And it's too bad that the Japanese version of the Wizardry misses out on the overworld and scifi elements of Wizardry 7 and 8.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Veib posted:

Wizardry is weird since Japan has a different license for it. As far as I know, no one has picked up the western license.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Al Baron posted:

Wizardry is weird since Japan has a different license for it. As far as I know, no one has picked up the western license.

I thought SirTech sold the (western) Wizardry license to the Japanese company IPM Inc.?

Here's what it says on the IPM website:

quote:

Acquired worldwide copyrights for Wizardry from SirTech Canada

EDIT. More details of the agreement (quoted from RPGWatch because the original link is dead):

quote:

The details of the agreement are as follows:
1. Content of agreement

Transferred under the agreement are the entire rights to "Wizardry 6", "Wizardry 7", "Wizardry 8", "Wizardry Gold", and the global rights for the "Wizardry" trademark. Through this agreement Aeria IPM has effectively taken over the comprehensive production rights for all succeeding products bearing the name of "Wizardry" both within and outside of Japan.

CrookedB fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 6, 2013

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Zilkin posted:

Ideally, that insane insurance group would become cool all of a sudden and give up the rights to System Shock

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Ideally, that insane insurance group would become cool all of a sudden and give up the rights to System Shock
Huh? I can't find any info on this aside from that most people seem to believe that EA owns the license.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Kenshin posted:

Huh? I can't find any info on this aside from that most people seem to believe that EA owns the license.

From what I understand, EA has the trademark and Looking Glass Studios had the rights until they dissolved [at which point, the rights passed to Meadowbrook Insurance Group].

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kenshin posted:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/713030/the-lost-history-of-system-shock/

However, SS2 recently came out on Gog. Progress has been made.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah, the right to make a new series iteration (or even re-release older games) hinges on the consent of that insurance group, who rather famously demanded ridiculous amounts of money for the privilege. Dead Space became a new IP game when EA couldn't get a deal on making it System Shock 3. When System Shock 2 hit GOG it was a huge deal in part because a lot of sober, realistic people assumed it would probably never see the light of day again. It's still somewhat unclear how it happened.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

I wonder what amount they'll end up on. I'm guessing ~3 or 4 million probably?

2 goons did this spreadsheet to track Project Eternity.
[url]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjRsTwF0aHv6dFVwaTF1WTI5b24tbGxpQUdQNU1TSHc#gid=14/url]

Torment is outdoing Project Eternity so far. It's possible that this is all of the nostalgia and it will slow dramatically, but they could easily hit 5 or 5.5 million.

fermun fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 6, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm not sure if that file's public. I certainly couldn't get to it.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I took a look at the kicktraq for Torment and it just looks kinda funny. I know the trending projection is nowhere near accurate, but right now it's listing the final overall money pledged to Torment as roughly $34.5 Million or 3,828% of the goal.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

BenRGamer posted:

I took a look at the kicktraq for Torment and it just looks kinda funny. I know the trending projection is nowhere near accurate, but right now it's listing the final overall money pledged to Torment as roughly $34.5 Million or 3,828% of the goal.

I wonder what a Torment game with a Gears budget would even look like. I'd love to see it.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

BenRGamer posted:

Yes because that website pulls numbers of its rear end. Also it's calculating based on them getting the same amount of money as the first day, every day.

I wish I had been smart enough to code a bullshit number website and tie it to kickstarter :(

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I wonder what a Torment game with a Gears budget would even look like. I'd love to see it.

I actually wouldn't, but there's a good reason for that.

The bigger a budget the bigger the inefficiencies get. The more tempting it is to just throw money at development problems instead of trying to solve them in creative ways.

Sometimes having to work within a constrained budget means better results in less time than with a huge/unlimited one.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

I'm not sure if that file's public. I certainly couldn't get to it.

Whoops, I put the wrong link in. This should work:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjRsTwF0aHv6dFVwaTF1WTI5b24tbGxpQUdQNU1TSHc#gid=14

Looks like the goons in question have started adding Torment in as well.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

the black husserl posted:

Yes because that website pulls numbers of its rear end. Also it's calculating based on them getting the same amount of money as the first day, every day.

I wish I had been smart enough to code a bullshit number website and tie it to kickstarter :(

Eh, I typically just use it to measure the history of the Kickstarter for me, more or less.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hmm. I know they say there's no budget crossover between Torment and Wasteland 2, but it seems quite probable that the two of them will be using the same engine rescripted, does it not? So there'll be some flow between them.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
What's the next IP to be resurrected?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TuOcgH0kmo

I'm amazed no one else brought that up.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Hmm. I know they say there's no budget crossover between Torment and Wasteland 2, but it seems quite probable that the two of them will be using the same engine rescripted, does it not? So there'll be some flow between them.
They already said they'll be using tech from Wasteland 2.

It was all part of the Wasteland 2 budget, though, and it goes into the company's common pool of stuff they can use.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
They'd be smart to use the same engine for Torment and Wasteland 2.

No need to reinvent that wheel

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah, R&D overhead on a first project reduces costs for subsequent projects but that hardly counts as dispersal of funds, that's a positive production externality.

It'll be interesting to see if the Kickstarter boom leads to some cynicism toward economic forecasting in general

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 7, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Depending on where they are, though, Torment funds could be allocated to Engine work that happens to fall backwards to Wasteland without breaking their word on project independence. Doubt they'll need to at this stage though.

Given there'll be very few engine updates needed on a brand new engine, probably, depending on how versatile the scripting on the WL2 engine is, Torment will be able to skip a huge amount of the programing phase, which will be interesting, especially for the much bigger budget game it is.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Wasteland 2 and Torment are both using the Unity engine, not some engine they are developing for themselves. This is also the engine being used by Project Eternity, Shadowrun Returns, and many others. Even Kerbal Space Program, something vastly different from the big Kickstarter RPGs there uses Unity.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

fermun posted:

Wasteland 2 and Torment are both using the Unity engine, not some engine they are developing for themselves. This is also the engine being used by Project Eternity, Shadowrun Returns, and many others. Even Kerbal Space Program, something vastly different from the big Kickstarter RPGs there uses Unity.
Right, but the programmers and artists still have to learn tools and prepare asset pipelines, and efficiency-increasing lessons learned by all staff through WL2's development will reap full benefits for Torment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

the black husserl posted:

Uh, no. It actually does some really fancy curve fitting. I was joking around with someone from their place on Twitter the other day. It's just that their algorithms fall apart with the edge-case kind of straight up vertical line that giant kickstarters like this represent.

Over time, it has gotten a lot better, but each time there's a new record setting funding drive like this, they have to adjust their algorithm accordingly.

(Yes, I get mad about math... nobody appreciates math :mad:)