Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

RustedChrome posted:

So Nikon is taking on the X100s with this?
http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/4/4065720/nikon-coolpix-a-announcement-price-release-date

I like 28mm for street shooting but I think it's probably a bit wide for a fixed lens camera.
Not really a fan of the retracting lens on an $1100 camera either, it just makes this look more like an RX100 than an RX1.

I like it, but the cost is hard to justify when I can get a m4/3 body + 14mm for so little now. Supposedly Ricoh has a new GRD with an APS-C sensor on the way, I'll be very interested to see how that compares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Speaking of which, I've just bought the 14mm f2.5 for my GF5 and it makes a lot more sense that the kit zoom. (yay for broken-out new lenses on ebay)

Any recommendations for a case for it? I could get either a bog standard fabric one for the belt or one of those 'leather' ever ready cases which are very practical, if not a trifle dorky:

And am I the only one who really dislikes a neck strap on a P&S-sized body?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

And am I the only one who really dislikes a neck strap on a P&S-sized body?

Not at all.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I used a neck strap when I first got my 5N but soon realized that the strap was as bulky as the camera itself when packing it in the bag. I then went out and got a wrist strap.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

m4/3 dudes, how do you guys like the 75mm f/1.8?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
What's the Olympus equivalent (or closest) to the Panny GX1?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Do you have some medium format lenses? Do you want more megapickles on your NEX?
How about 140?

*Medium format dof not included.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

DJExile posted:

m4/3 dudes, how do you guys like the 75mm f/1.8?

I rented it to use for fun during Xmas on a walkaround shoot, it was ridiculously good. Sharp as hell and with lots of creamy bokeh. You definitely won't regret buying it, if you like the equivalent 150mm fov and can afford it.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

RustedChrome posted:

Do you have some medium format lenses? Do you want more megapickles on your NEX?
How about 140?

This... this is kinda of awesome.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

RustedChrome posted:

How about 140?

That's very awesome but unfortunately not a price I would pay for it. If they drop to $200 I'm getting one though because it seems like great fun.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

RustedChrome posted:

How about 140?

I'd buy that right now if they had one for the Fuji system

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

RustedChrome posted:

How about 140?

Holy poo poo. I am so glad I'm getting into the NEX system :haw:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

alkanphel posted:

I rented it to use for fun during Xmas on a walkaround shoot, it was ridiculously good. Sharp as hell and with lots of creamy bokeh. You definitely won't regret buying it, if you like the equivalent 150mm fov and can afford it.

Sweet, going on a trip in a couple weeks and might rent it myself.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
I have found that since i bought my EP2 with some fast prime lenses, my 5Dmkii body has spent most of it's time sat in a drawer not getting used. Partly due to the weight/size when carrying it around and also because the EP2 has been much more enjoyable and flexible.

I am thinking of consolidating the 2 bodies by replacing them both with an OMD.

I am keeping my 2 canon lenses (50mm 1.4 and 24-105L F4) to use with my canon film body and the OMD would make use of the various m4/3 lenses I own, including the 45mm 1.8 and the Panasonic 20mm and 14mm.

The only downsides to this plan I can think of is losing full frame, which doesn't seem to really be an issue for me seeing as i have some appropriate fast primes for the OMD. Also possibly losing some flash capabilities (I'm not sure how well the OMD copes with or supports flash units). I have a 580EXII which i presume i could still use, if only on manual.

I suppose also i would no longer have a digital body for the canon lenses, but i do have an adapter to use them on the OMD and have had surprisingly good results with them in the past on the EP2.

If i had the money, i would keep the 5D body, but i think that if i did, it would only sit in a drawer most of the time anyway which seems a waste.

Anyone made a similar move from SLR and is there anything obvious that I'm missing or would possibly be an issue?

Thanks.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

EvilRic posted:

I have found that since i bought my EP2 with some fast prime lenses, my 5Dmkii body has spent most of it's time sat in a drawer not getting used. Partly due to the weight/size when carrying it around and also because the EP2 has been much more enjoyable and flexible.

I am thinking of consolidating the 2 bodies by replacing them both with an OMD.

I am keeping my 2 canon lenses (50mm 1.4 and 24-105L F4) to use with my canon film body and the OMD would make use of the various m4/3 lenses I own, including the 45mm 1.8 and the Panasonic 20mm and 14mm.

The only downsides to this plan I can think of is losing full frame, which doesn't seem to really be an issue for me seeing as i have some appropriate fast primes for the OMD. Also possibly losing some flash capabilities (I'm not sure how well the OMD copes with or supports flash units). I have a 580EXII which i presume i could still use, if only on manual.

I suppose also i would no longer have a digital body for the canon lenses, but i do have an adapter to use them on the OMD and have had surprisingly good results with them in the past on the EP2.

If i had the money, i would keep the 5D body, but i think that if i did, it would only sit in a drawer most of the time anyway which seems a waste.

Anyone made a similar move from SLR and is there anything obvious that I'm missing or would possibly be an issue?

Thanks.

I switched to the OMD from a 5D2 and I can say that I do not regret the switch at all. The OMD is superior in every way, probably except for cleaner super high ISO (H1/H2), which I've never used on my 5D2 anyway. Most of the time I just set auto-ISO to limit at 3200 and the LR noise reduction does a great job at cleaning up the noise. Some people have complained that the tracking AF of the OMD can be the weak point so it does depend on how you want to use it.

I dont' use my 5D2 anymore, except to shoot macro now.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
My 40D and XTi have been collecting dust since I got my 5N. It's just so nice to have a camera that small and light and with such strong low light ability. If there's one thing I wish Sony would add to their lineup, it's some more E-mount telephotos like an 85mm f/1.8 or 135mm f/2.8. If they ever do that, they'll have the general lens range wrapped up nicely from 16mm on up.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

alkanphel posted:

I switched to the OMD from a 5D2 and I can say that I do not regret the switch at all. The OMD is superior in every way, probably except for cleaner super high ISO (H1/H2), which I've never used on my 5D2 anyway. Most of the time I just set auto-ISO to limit at 3200 and the LR noise reduction does a great job at cleaning up the noise. Some people have complained that the tracking AF of the OMD can be the weak point so it does depend on how you want to use it.

I dont' use my 5D2 anymore, except to shoot macro now.

Is there a reason you use the 5D2 over the OMD for macro other than that you have a nice macro lens for it?

I enjoy macro and used my 5D for it before but the lens i use is an old manual lens which would mount on the OMD.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Hmm, I have an EP-1 and I'm slowly starting to consider a full size DSLR because while it's been a surprisingly worthwhile tool I keep running into its limitations (mostly abysmal ISO performance over 800). But maybe I just need to try an OM-D. It's not really fair to my ageing EP-1 to compare it to the DSLRs I've tried recently (a friends 7D and a colleagues new D600) but I do miss a real view finder.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

EvilRic posted:

Is there a reason you use the 5D2 over the OMD for macro other than that you have a nice macro lens for it?

I enjoy macro and used my 5D for it before but the lens i use is an old manual lens which would mount on the OMD.

No other reason than I have a nice macro lens for my 5D2 and I love the thin DOF from a FF camera. Of course I also have the EOS-m4/3 adapter so I just bring along the OMD in case I want some extra reach.

Here's what the macro lens on OMD can do (casual portraits of a friend):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alkanphel/8493809793/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alkanphel/8484905387/

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 7, 2013

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

Laser Cow posted:

Hmm, I have an EP-1 and I'm slowly starting to consider a full size DSLR because while it's been a surprisingly worthwhile tool I keep running into its limitations (mostly abysmal ISO performance over 800). But maybe I just need to try an OM-D. It's not really fair to my ageing EP-1 to compare it to the DSLRs I've tried recently (a friends 7D and a colleagues new D600) but I do miss a real view finder.

The VF2 viewfinder which I use with my EP2 and which i believe is basically the viewfinder built in to the OMD is very nice. I don't find it particularly different to using a real optical one. It does also have the benefit that if you're shooting black and white, you can see through the viewfinder in black and white while you take the photos, which i find to be quite handy.

alkanphel posted:

No other reason than I have a nice macro lens for my 5D2 and I love the thin DOF from a FF camera. Of course I also have the EOS-m4/3 adapter so I just bring along the OMD in case I want some extra reach.

Here's what the macro lens on OMD can do (casual portraits of a friend):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alkanphel/8493809793/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alkanphel/8484905387/

Those are definitely nice. I am a little worried I might miss the shallow DOF from the 5DMKII but as it doesn't seem to be my camera of choice, I am not sure I would take enough photos with it to get the benefit, and the 45mm 1.8 seems to isolate subjects quite well despite being on the half size sensor.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

EvilRic posted:

Those are definitely nice. I am a little worried I might miss the shallow DOF from the 5DMKII but as it doesn't seem to be my camera of choice, I am not sure I would take enough photos with it to get the benefit, and the 45mm 1.8 seems to isolate subjects quite well despite being on the half size sensor.

Yeah the prime lenses on the OMD do fairly well enough for subject isolation. Don't forget the upcoming Panasonic 43/1.2 lens, if you need even thinner DOF.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I don't know why I never tried hooking my old 4/3 35mm macro to the OMD with the adapter. That could be a lot of fun.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I switched to OMD from 5D mark 1 and I do kinda miss the Canon's pretty much instant wakeup from sleep and, to a lesser extent, its battery life. That being said, I prefer OMD in almost every other way and I'm more than happy with the camera and its lenses.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

alkanphel posted:

Yeah the prime lenses on the OMD do fairly well enough for subject isolation. Don't forget the upcoming Panasonic 43/1.2 lens, if you need even thinner DOF.

Any idea how much that's going to cost?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

poo poo's so paper.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

spog posted:

Any idea how much that's going to cost?

I reckon about the same as the 75/1.8 if not a bit more.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

poo poo's so paper.

Body cap lens bros :cool::respek::cool:

E: What is that viewfinder?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

DJExile posted:

Body cap lens bros :cool::respek::cool:

E: What is that viewfinder?

Viewfinder for the voigtlander 15mm lens that's mounted on the OM-D in that pic. (completely useless on that camera, but looked funny).

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

RustedChrome posted:

How about 140?

Actually, the DOF is the same as with a medium format camera.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Guys, talk to me about NEX-5 vs NEX-5N for street shooting. I want to save up for a 5N but they're just ridiculously hard to find (locally) for a good price right now. Seems as soon as I decided to save for one the local market just dried up. I'd routinely see bodies going for 300-350 and now they're back up at 400-ish. Which I mean might be a good price, I don't know, it's just a little out of my budget at this exact moment.

I actually have a budget of about 350 to put into a "new" camera to use with my M39 lenses and I think that the NEX-5 might be allright.

I'm mostly worried about high ISO performance once the light starts to fade when being out shooting. There's something to be said for real-world high ISO performance versus staged, perfectly-exposed high ISO tests done in a controlled setting.

Just wondering whether anyone thinks the 5N would be absolutely worth waiting for, or would the ISO12800 on the 5N be suitable enough? I don't expect to be taking photos at midnight or anything, but at sundown with an f/4 lens I imagine I'd probably be up in the ISO3200-6400 range. Focus Peaking all day.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

HPL posted:

My 40D and XTi have been collecting dust since I got my 5N. It's just so nice to have a camera that small and light and with such strong low light ability. If there's one thing I wish Sony would add to their lineup, it's some more E-mount telephotos like an 85mm f/1.8 or 135mm f/2.8. If they ever do that, they'll have the general lens range wrapped up nicely from 16mm on up.

My 40D, Tamron 17-50 and 70-200F4L have been nearly untouched since I bought my X100, except for the time I saw the Endeavour space shuttle getting moved through Los Angeles. And the X100 pictures were better anyway. :negative:

Why can't we bring ourselves to sell off the old gear?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rontalvos posted:

I'm trying to sell my D200 and Sigma 24-70 2.8 specifically to go down to this preferable body size :)

I wish I hadn't written off the NEX as a glorified P&S earlier. What a mistake.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
I think the better sensor on the 5N is totally worth the extra 50-100 dollars. Especially since if that amount of money is so worrisome to you, you'll probably be keeping the 5N for a long time, so you might as well have the best camera possible from the get-go.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

The 5n's sensor is sprinkled with the same pixie dust as the Nikon D7000 and Pentax K-5. It's worth the extra cost.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Rontalvos posted:

My 40D, Tamron 17-50 and 70-200F4L have been nearly untouched since I bought my X100, except for the time I saw the Endeavour space shuttle getting moved through Los Angeles. And the X100 pictures were better anyway. :negative:

I have a big plastic storage box with my 40D+400D + 5 lenses in it...in the wrong part of the country and I don't miss it. I loved it when they were held up against my eye, but not the rest of the time when I had to lug them about.

There's something irritating about taking a DSLR around with you and not taking a photo because you don't see anything photogenic that day. Only outweighed by the alternative when you see something stunning and don;t have a camera with you. Or worse, a P%S that won't handle the situation.

quote:

I don't know why, either. But I know I am guilty of this.

I am looking for recommendations for the following:

Small bag (belt) - crumpler?
Wrist strap - any old poo poo will do?
3rd party battery - ebay special?

For my GF5+14mm lens.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I hate selling stuff just because it's a pain in the rear end.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Roger. Thanks guys, I will definitely save up for the 5N.

The price difference isn't a HUGE deal, and once I get rid of this D200 I will be able to splurge, but I saw a 5 body on Craigslist for $250 so I figured that if it was any good I'd just half-rear end it if it wasn't a total piece of poo poo.

Of course it's gone now anyway, so it's a moot point.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

spog posted:

I have a big plastic storage box with my 40D+400D + 5 lenses in it...in the wrong part of the country and I don't miss it. I loved it when they were held up against my eye, but not the rest of the time when I had to lug them about.

There's something irritating about taking a DSLR around with you and not taking a photo because you don't see anything photogenic that day. Only outweighed by the alternative when you see something stunning and don;t have a camera with you. Or worse, a P%S that won't handle the situation.

I don't know why, either. But I know I am guilty of this.

I am looking for recommendations for the following:

Small bag (belt) - crumpler?
Wrist strap - any old poo poo will do?
3rd party battery - ebay special?

For my GF5+14mm lens.

Tiny cameras LOVE Gordy's straps, this is a scientific fact.

For a bag, maybe consider the Lowepro range, they have about a metric fuckton of styles/sizes for your camera-hauling needs.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I shoot concerts with a 5N, using 6400 an 12800 almost all the time. If you pair it up with a good raw processing program like DxO Opics Pro, it's a killer combo. I can't wait to see what the 6N will be like when/if it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

krackmonkey posted:

Tiny cameras LOVE Gordy's straps, this is a scientific fact.

For a bag, maybe consider the Lowepro range, they have about a metric fuckton of styles/sizes for your camera-hauling needs.

I tried the Lowepro bagfinder from their webpage (great idea) but all they had were pretty bulky.

I'd like something that protects it when stuffed in a backpack and can be worn on the belt with quick access.