Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Fayk posted:

Not sure which versions those are, since they weren't in vsav/vsav1...?

They were in the PS2 version. Console only~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
Sort of a false alarm guys: https://twitter.com/brokentier/status/309429017671503873

IFC Yipes probably back in EMP or something not Infiltration

Alcoholism
Nov 17, 2010

I really don't like the Marvel series because it's too fast for my feeble brain, I don't like assists, and I don't like really long combos (because I can't do them). Will I like Vsav?

(I will probably buy it regardless because I like supporting releases with GGPO)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Alcoholism posted:

I really don't like the Marvel series because it's too fast for my feeble brain, I don't like assists, and I don't like really long combos (because I can't do them). Will I like Vsav?

(I will probably buy it regardless because I like supporting releases with GGPO)

Yeah, probably. It's still pretty fast but I doubt it has anything on Marvel. It's not that Vampire Savior doesn't have long combos, but they're not central to the gameplay of most characters.

In fact, just watch some videos in the YouTube channel I posted earlier -- it should answer all your questions.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 7, 2013

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Vsav is a good game that more people should play (including myself and my sas that isn't even good enough to be called fraudulent).

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Alcoholism posted:

Almost certainly - the only real thing on that list is that it's actually quite fast (at the high level especially) - but not as chaotic as marvel. When you play it for a while, you get a LOOOOT more used to the speed.

The combos are mostly short (and a range of skill/execution difficulty).

Also, if it's too fast, you can always play Vampire Hunter (DS2) instead of Vsav, which is a lot slower.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
VSav combos are a lot shorter than Marvel combos. And it doesn't have assists!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I just played VSav for the first time in like six months and discovered two things: first, my ISP isn't nearly as horrible for fighting games as they were the last time I tried to play them from home, and second, oh god I've forgotten everything I ever knew about Sasquatch. :cripes:

I'll be around tomorrow if anyone wants to help me pick up the pieces.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I just played VSav for the first time in like six months and discovered two things: first, my ISP isn't nearly as horrible for fighting games as they were the last time I tried to play them from home, and second, oh god I've forgotten everything I ever knew about Sasquatch. :cripes:

I'll be around tomorrow if anyone wants to help me pick up the pieces.

Yeah, I'm sorta under the same boat as you except that I might have played (and got bodied at) that game like a couple weeks ago. Now that there's talk of Resurrection, people are giving a poo poo for this game and as a result I should really get back to it soon.

Hopefully I'll be able to get in a couple games with you or anyone else tomorrow.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Thwack! posted:

Yeah, I'm sorta under the same boat as you except that I might have played (and got bodied at) that game like a couple weeks ago. Now that there's talk of Resurrection, people are giving a poo poo for this game and as a result I should really get back to it soon.

Hopefully I'll be able to get in a couple games with you or anyone else tomorrow.

I mean obviously it's a subgroup of a subgroup, but as far as giving a poo poo, the tiny ggpo vsav community has been running weekly (alternating sat/sun I think) tournaments in vsav (sometimes doing hunter/vs2 as well) for months! Still are afaik.

As far as people who haven't already played it, several goons play vsav at least casually, and most of the vsav room is quite friendly. (Note: Friendly does not mean 'won't hit you')

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Fayk posted:

I mean obviously it's a subgroup of a subgroup, but as far as giving a poo poo, the tiny ggpo vsav community has been running weekly (alternating sat/sun I think) tournaments in vsav (sometimes doing hunter/vs2 as well) for months! Still are afaik.

As far as people who haven't already played it, several goons play vsav at least casually, and most of the vsav room is quite friendly. (Note: Friendly does not mean 'won't hit you')

How tiny is 'tiny'? I like vsav's mechanics but having put effort into learning dead games before, I'm not sure I want to do it again. Can you find games in a reasonable amount of time, other than the tournaments? Is there any sort of active forum for discussing gameplay?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Redmark posted:

How tiny is 'tiny'? I like vsav's mechanics but having put effort into learning dead games before, I'm not sure I want to do it again. Can you find games in a reasonable amount of time, other than the tournaments? Is there any sort of active forum for discussing gameplay?

I only said tiny to not give false hope, the room is almost never empty, though sometimes a lot of the folks in the GGPO lobby are AFK (also, some of them split time across vsav/vhunter lobbies) so you might have to speak up if you're looking for a game. It's not hard to get a game. I expect there will potentially be new blood with resurrection, both in that game and on GGPO (but hard to say).

As far as active forums, there's an entire subforum (instead of just one thread) on dustloop, and there was an active thread or two on SRK though I don't look at SRK forums consistently as well. There's also other stuff like Facebook stuff they do (?? I don't use facebook ??) and active skype stuff within that community. They also stream the tournaments if you ever want to look at archives, etc and get a sense of things: http://twitch.tv/rotanibor/videos

Alcoholism
Nov 17, 2010

Someone who knows what they're talking about should make a thread for Vsav, I'm sure there will be an influx of interest once Resurrection drops.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Just short hop to the opponent there I helped you remember all there is to know about Sas :smug:

But seriously though I am super stoked about the release, I have been practicing comboing into DI again with Morrigan cause its been years and years since I last put real time into Darkstalkers 3, and my hands must have gotten a lot slower or something cause full combo into DI is so hard now when I remember it being so easy :cry:

*ed*

Alcoholism posted:

Someone who knows what they're talking about should make a thread for Vsav, I'm sure there will be an influx of interest once Resurrection drops.

I'll make one after work tomorrow unless someone else wants to do so.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I actually wouldn't mind making one, with input from mechanics experts (i.e. Fayk and ???)

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

interrodactyl posted:

They were in the PS2 version. Console only~

Actually they were in the arcade release of Vampire Hunter 2 originally a game that is concurrent with but less popular than Vsav (for legitimate mechanics reasons).
Vampire Chronicle and the PS2 collection just made them usable in Vsav, which was originally going to be the plan but Capcom had to cut characters because there wasn't the memory for them. Pyron has also been in the series a long time, seeing as he's an old boss character (and has kickin' rad sprites).

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Periodiko posted:

You people are the worst.
As an impartial observer, I'd like to point out that you're equally bad.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
My list of games for new players to potentially get into:

MvC3 or SF4 are your best bets to get into the "FG scene" and have fun. ST on GGPO is your best bet to get really nice fundamentals, play online in a way that is viable, and have fun. I would not seriously consider anything else as far as 2d fighters go.

MvC3 advantages:

-You can realistically get good at doing basic combos with minimal training mode grinding per day.
-It is fun to build teams, think about synergy, and use all the unique characters.
-There is a huge scene for it and if you don't want to bother learning to play stick, it's probably the game with the most pad players.

MvC3 disadvantages:

-It can be really boring to watch yourself get comboed for 20 seconds off of one hit. To some people (myself included) this is a massive strike against the game.
-You will not learn "2d fighter fundamentals", you will learn "marvel fundamentals". There is SOME carry over, but you will more or less have no idea what you are doing in a game like ST or SF4.
-Online play is terrible; it's the worst of all the games I am listing. I know very few marvel players that even bother playing online.

SF4 advantages:

-It's more or less the only footsie-oriented 2d fighter that you will likely find a scene for outside of very major US cities.
-The skills from this game will transfer over to other 2d fighters.
-The "fireball game" is present in this game and is a classic element that has existed from SF2.
-Online play is not great but is certainly doable. You could potentially only play this game online but I would not recommend that.

SF4 disadvantages:

-The fireball game and footsie-oriented points I mentioned in the advantages dissolve against certain characters.
-Until you are very familiar with the game, a lot of the characters feel incredibly boring and uninspired.
-Basic combos (links mostly) are generally harder to get around for newer players. In Marvel you can usually do an easy variant of a combo; in SF4 you often MUST be able to do a link, a piano, or some other difficult timing/input or you are throwing away 75% of your potential damage.
-At high level play, there are some really stupid matchups and arguably annoying things you must be able to do.

ST advantages:

-"the best" game. Most people who play 2d fighters will concede this is still the best 2d fighter. It is solid and deep as gently caress.
-You can play online only because the netcode on ggpo is so good. Extremely good players are on ggpo and you can learn a lot from them.
-If you are good at this game, you will quickly be good at any 2d fighter you put your hands on.
-This game has the purest footsie/fireball game: It feels like a loving awesome chess match where you yell "YOMI" instead of "CHECK".

ST disadvantages:

-You can usually get people you are playing with IRL to break the game out from time to time but no one will main it IRL. There may be places where people meet every week to play ST but for most cities it's just SF4 and MvC3 offline.
-Very strict input requirements. You have to hit reversals with perfect timing, you cannot slack on any input or the move just won't come out. At high level play this can enter into situations where: "You must reversal on wakeup or you will get knocked down again" and then that knockdown loops the situation. If you don't reversal you lose the round.
-The game definitely looks and feels old. Certain things that are "part of the game" will seem ridiculous to a new player, such as game slowdown in certain fireball situations.

Verdict

Play MvC3 or SF4 if you want to play offline. Maybe add ST on the side. If you just want to play online, play ST, maybe play SF4 on the side.

SFxT I would disagree that it "isn't going anywhere". Capcom doesn't want to admit they wasted all their time on it, but ever since SF4 and MvC3 have come out, no other game has consistently been a "main game" aside from those two. SFXT is not a strong enough game to change that.

Any other game you think you might want to get into 2d fighters with will have no scene. If you want to play P4A or something and you have confirmed found a scene on Dustloop of like six people, then you may be an exception and maybe you should go for it if that's what you really want to play. From what I have seen, any game other than SF4 and MvC3 gets some play a month or two after release and then disappears forever.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 7, 2013

Martian Buddy
Jun 4, 2010

Are you ready to swear
right here,
right now,
before the devil

I think you should add "Input Leniency" as both an Advantage and Disadvantage to SF4. On the one hand, if you're really new to 2D fighters and tend to spazz out on the controls when you're trying to do stuff it's very nice about giving you what you were probably going for (you can end up doing a 180 motion + punch and get an SPD, for example). On the other hand, you won't learn how to control your imputs without being a spazz about it, in more imput heavy games (ST for example) you NEED to be able to do a full 360 motion to get the SPD out.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
My 60 dollar Soul Calibur stick showed up already, just a few days after ordering. It's been so long since Ive used a fresh out of the box TE, feels so nice and smooth and sexy. Nothing like my circa 2009 grimy TE. Im really liking the translucent shell, too. Now that I have a PS3 stick with diagonals that arent annoying, I can play way more Arcana Heart and Skullgirls! Too bad nobody else in the universe feels the same way...

I really hope everyone who wanted one managed to jump on it during that sale.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Gutcruncher posted:

I can play way more Arcana Heart

I'm picking that game up in preparation for LOVEMAX!!!!!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I grabbed a MLG TE stick during the MadCatz winter brawl sale and holy poo poo I love it. I threw on an octagonal gate and it's so awesome compared to my Brawlstick. Worth every penny.

It's kinda crazy that MadCatz is making these, especially when they were the "lovely knock off" brand from back in the day.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

It's kinda crazy that MadCatz is making these, especially when they were the "lovely knock off" brand from back in the day.

I figure there had to have been some change in management or something. They make good arcade sticks, good Rock Band controllers, and good joysticks (well they own Saitek who makes them). They have both the lovely 20 dollar pad and the awesome expensive specialty controller markets covered, genious!

I remember ignoring these upcoming Street Fighter IV sticks once I heard Madcatz was gonna be behind them. The first step to turning my opinion around was when some Madcatz guy said something like "Look guys, I know you have been disappointed with our products in the past, but trust me."

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Everything changed when Markman got hired.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gutcruncher posted:

The first step to turning my opinion around was when some Madcatz guy said something like "Look guys, I know you have been disappointed with our products in the past, but trust me."

That is pretty much business management 101. "blame everything on the last guy"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Whoa, I didn't even recognize you without Hermann Hesse.

I don't really agree with your analysis of what games to get into on GGPO -- as far as I remember there are at least two games with as many players (KoF and, assuming it's back to its old popularity, 3S) and even with many of the poverty games you can reliably find opponents if you look at certain times of day.

I'm sure you know better than I do re: in-person / scene stuff, though.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah but KoF is pretty arcane and dominated by Brazilians and Koreans and 3S is impenetrably heavy for a new player.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

El Estrago Bonito posted:

3S is impenetrably heavy for a new player.

Can you elaborate on this? I've been farting around on GGPO sporadically and 3S feels a lot more accessible? would be the word.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah but KoF is pretty arcane and dominated by Brazilians and Koreans and 3S is impenetrably heavy for a new player.

I don't believe that 3S is any harder to get into than ST. Your margin for error in ST is non-existent, a decent player against a newbie will trap them in situations they have no possibility of escaping and kill them before they even realize the match has started. This was my experience even coming into it with skills from other fighting games.

And that's fine in some ways, it's likely even part of what makes the game good in the first place. And yes, mid-level 3S play looks like inpenetrable wizardry if you're bad at it, but at the same time I can't think of many games on GGPO more entertaining for two new / inexpert players to face off in, and even if you do get destroyed and don't understand why it'll be for mechanical reasons rather than sheer speed -- which are much easier to address by reading or teaching.

EDIT: None of which is to say "you shouldn't play ST." I'm just taking umbrage at "you shouldn't play 3S and don't even think about poverty fighters."

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 7, 2013

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
The reason people trusted Madcatz was they said the word "Sanwa".

Then we instantly knew they had like, half a clue.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

I threw on an octagonal gate

We've lost another one. :negative:

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I can't think of many games on GGPO more entertaining for two new / inexpert players to face off in, and even if you do get destroyed and don't understand why it'll be for mechanical reasons rather than sheer speed -- which are much easier to address by reading or teaching.
Jojos!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

KoF98 is awesome and pretty accessible I think. Health bars are pretty small so you can play without huge combos, and there's no HD type custom combos that require practicing like newer kofs. There are more mechanics than ST, and you gotta learn three characters, but it's nothing next to Marvel. It also has a large ggpo player base, a huge cast, and is super fun!

In short, 98989898.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

I dare say 3S is more easy to get into at first for two complete newbies than SF4, the lack of link heavy combos combined with fairly lenient inputs and faster walk speeds make it pretty easy for people without a clue of what to do to have fun. I'm hella biased but I've always found hitboxes and ranges to be much more intuitive than other games and that's half the reason I find it so enjoyable.

I'd agree with the JoJo's thing too but the whole stands being different based on characters and the sheer diversity of how characters operate seems like it would confuse a lot of people when they tried to get to the level beyond hitting random buttons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
HD Remix is still universally hated though, right?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Couldn't HDR be switched onto "ST Mode" or something where it played identically to the original?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Question Mark Mound posted:

Couldn't HDR be switched onto "ST Mode" or something where it played identically to the original?

It's not arcade perfect but yeah, classic mode is workable.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Jeffrey posted:

KoF98 is awesome and pretty accessible I think. Health bars are pretty small so you can play without huge combos, and there's no HD type custom combos that require practicing like newer kofs. There are more mechanics than ST, and you gotta learn three characters, but it's nothing next to Marvel. It also has a large ggpo player base, a huge cast, and is super fun!

In short, 98989898.

There's a reason why there's 3 rooms for 98 on GGPO. It's that good.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
KOF98 is really good and there are other good games that get play on GGPO. I recommended ST because it really gives you the best of everything. If you start with ST and get decent at that, you will have a much easier time branching out into other stuff on GGPO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Put up a thread for DS Resurrection http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537214

Give me a heads up if there is anything blatant I am missing or should be adding.

• Locked thread