Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, QS and DG always felt rather gimmicky to me. The only time I used QS was in the Arkham fight so I can get as much damage out as possible before he sank into the ground, and the Legion spawns make it easy to farm meter. Of course, there are videos of people using them to much greater effect out there, but I'm not good as them so :shobon:

Also, I find DT Explosion a much more effective use of meter than DG and QS to a lesser extent. QS has more defensive use thanks to the activation having invincibility frames (and the whole bullet time thing, of course), but nearly every normal enemy in Very Hard and below dies to a fully-charged DT Explosion anyway, and everything that doesn't will be very low on health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Wrist Watch posted:

For Quicksilver and Doppelganger, and to a lesser extent Gunslinger, are those just styles you only pick of you have a pretty drat good reason for not picking Swordmaster/Trickster/Royal Guard?

Gunslinger is basically for fun. It's more useful in 4 where you can switch it on the fly and keep the situational use that it's meant for.

Doppelganger, I never found much use for, unless you want someone else to play along with you for brief periods. It's kind of a gimmick style.

Quicksilver is rather useful on the higher difficulties, and it can makes some boss fights slightly more managable, but I personally would rather have either more melee, more evasion, or more defensive skills.

Just try them out.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Pesky Splinter posted:

Gunslinger is basically for fun. It's more useful in 4 where you can switch it on the fly and keep the situational use that it's meant for.

Just like any of the styles, it's all in how you use it.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Cthulhuchan posted:

Just like any of the styles, it's all in how you use it.

Furry, brony, "I hope not. Kail isn't that good of a player." I loving love the internet.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I can't believe that Vergil's default main story outfit is not unlockable in his own DLC.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I almost always use swordmaster in 3 for normal enemies and a few bosses. Royal Guard is for most bosses and DMD Fallen. Trickster is for Vergil (DMD). I use Gunslinger mostly for Artemis, and the other two are for experimentation.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well I think I've had my fill of Metal Gear Rising, played through it 4 times on all the difficulties, the hardest one twice and I think its time to move onto something else. I'm probably going to pick up DMC4 because I rented it and blew through on easy a long time ago but I think I'm going to purchase it and play it proper. Does anyone have any suggestions to enhance the experience? I'm getting the PS3 version, I know the PC version is suppose to be the best but I don't have the rig for it. I recently played through DMC1 and 3 as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AASman posted:

Well I think I've had my fill of Metal Gear Rising, played through it 4 times on all the difficulties, the hardest one twice and I think its time to move onto something else. I'm probably going to pick up DMC4 because I rented it and blew through on easy a long time ago but I think I'm going to purchase it and play it proper. Does anyone have any suggestions to enhance the experience? I'm getting the PS3 version, I know the PC version is suppose to be the best but I don't have the rig for it. I recently played through DMC1 and 3 as well.

I would really recommend you at least download a benchmark or something for DMC4. It's insanely well optimized and runs well on even subpar rigs.

Otherwise what you see is what you get with the PS3 version.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

AASman posted:

For Nero:

Rebind Nero's shoot button to a shoulder trigger, get Charged Shot 3 ASAP for enemy control and heavy damage. Learn to use the Exceed system; train yourself to tap the Exceed button right after you attack. Exceed boosts both damage and style, and Exceeded attacks go a lot faster and do more hits in the case of Level 2 and 3 versions. His Buster can counter some of the bosses' charge attacks, and make a good "finisher" to your combo strings. Don't commit too much with your combos, since Nero's defense options are pretty limited if you're not good at precise timing. Finally, Nero shines the most in air combat with his ability to pull enemies, an easy "lift" combo that gives you additional air time, and Calibur, the aerial version of Streak (Stinger-equivalent) that's pretty great against certain bosses and is also good for engaging air targets that you can't pull.

For Dante:

Trickster 3 and Swordsmaster 3 are good starting picks; the former gives you a teleport that gets you right in the grill of enemies and the latter gives you Dance Macabre, an easy, mashable, and stylish combo. You'll want to get Charge Shot 3 for either the shotgun or the pistols for the shadow enemies, Blitzes, and Chimera Hybrids. Other than that, nearly everything you learned in DMC3 will work here: jumping blocks for Royal Guard (level 2 minimum), Aerial Rave jump-cancels, etc. Just note that jump-cancelling dive-kicks is way tougher to do this time around since I'm sure the timing is much harder and the angle you kick at is much flatter.

On a side note: if you're a score junkie, damage isn't counted so don't fret if you're not perfecting fights. You still don't want to take too many hits though; you'll want that style guage to stay in the higher ranks for the multiplier.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
DMC4 runs at, like 120fps on my poo poo laptop. Might be worth trying!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not only that, but Legendary Dark Knight mode + Infinite Devil Trigger is the most mindless, TrueStyle fun you can have in the genre.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Does the PS3 have turbo mode? If it doesn't then I really hope you can run the PC version. Turbo mode makes the game way better.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
DMC3 Special Edition has turbo mode for PS2, but only DMC4 for PC has turbo mode and Legendary Dark Knight mode.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Coughing Hobo posted:

DMC3 Special Edition has turbo mode for PS2, but only DMC4 for PC has turbo mode and Legendary Dark Knight mode.

On top of that, the Super costumes are more fun on PC (Super Nero gets auto Max Acts, and Super Dante gets infinite Disaster and Royal Guard meters).

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Is there really no way to use the unlock all cheat in DMC3 without being locked out of my saves? The PS2 version let you save at least.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm replaying DMC4 and is it just me or is Dante's voice actor waaaay too quiet? I had to turn on subtitles (which I hate doing because they're distracting) because I can't understand what he's saying. Is there something wrong with my TV or my hearing? It just seems to be Dante's VA though, haven't had a problem with the other characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AASman posted:

I'm replaying DMC4 and is it just me or is Dante's voice actor waaaay too quiet? I had to turn on subtitles (which I hate doing because they're distracting) because I can't understand what he's saying. Is there something wrong with my TV or my hearing? It just seems to be Dante's VA though, haven't had a problem with the other characters.

It may be something with your TV. I never had that problem at least.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
For the most part I can hear him okay, but some of the sound-levelling is bad in places - like the Lucifer cutscene - the music almost drowns him out.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
He's a bit more toned down in 4 but I can still hear him. There have been scenes I do have to turn it up because the music is louder than his voice.

edit: Yeah that Lucifer scene basically drowned him the gently caress out.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shindragon posted:

He's a bit more toned down in 4 but I can still hear him. There have been scenes I do have to turn it up because the music is louder than his voice.

edit: Yeah that Lucifer scene basically drowned him the gently caress out.

Alright yeah that's what I just watched. It's not just me then.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

For the most part I can hear him okay, but some of the sound-levelling is bad in places - like the Lucifer cutscene - the music almost drowns him out.

I think he's supposed to be muffled there because he has the rose in his mouth.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Peewi posted:

I think he's supposed to be muffled there because he has the rose in his mouth.

He gets it at the end, but it's the music that drowns out the "-with great strength-" line.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Oh, yeah. I remembered it as him having it the whole cutscene. It's just weird, then, I guess.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Do you have surround sound? I remember a similar issue with Sands of Time on the Xbox where dude would be nearly silent because I didn't have surround sound.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
There are a few other scenes where I can barely hear Nero, too. Mostly it's fine, but that game has some audio issues.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DMC4 is a really weird game. I just finished it for the first time [on Demon Hunter] after playing DmC. through. It's hard not to compare them, even when they're so different. It's very obvious that one is Western, one is Japanese. There's a whole host of things that you'd probably never see in a Western game in DMC4 and DmC is very western in it's story and acting.

It's a shame that DMC4 is probably never going to be touched upon in a game, there's a huge wealth of content to be expanded - namely Nero's character and skills. There's probably nothing cooler on the planet than revving a sword engine and we're all poorer for that only being in one game. It wouldn't have fit well in DmC, but an Exceed system works so well it deserves to be in more games. It's great that DmC Dante has the buster-styled movement, but it's just not quite the same as Nero's movement and skills. I haven't played DmC Vergil yet.

My understanding is that DMC4 isn't really talked about as much as the DMC1-3 or DmC, leaving it as a kind of neglected sibling to the others. I'd like to see Nero in the next DmC/DMC game, having multiple styles really makes these games.

My ideal DMC would be - DMC4 Dante's fighting style & Buster, coupled with DmC graphics and way, way less backtracking / gyro blades / dice puzzles.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

well why not posted:

My understanding is that DMC4 isn't really talked about as much as the DMC1-3 or DmC, leaving it as a kind of neglected sibling to the others.

No, that's DMC2. People like DMC4 to my understanding, even if it has problems. DMC2 is just utter garbage and nobody likes to talk about it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

'has problems' is definitely the best way to put it. Everything that isn't combat or cutscenes is kind of boring. There's a few sections where you run (so slowly) for 20-30 seconds, all that backtracking, dice games & gyro blades. Coupled with the fact that it's a pretty damned long game mean that the pacing is hosed, essentially. It gets by on the quality of combat, breadth of combat and the OK story. You also get to murder a fantasy pope, which rules.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
The only problem is that I loving hate the Sanctus fight. Sanctus 2 is ok because the room is smaller and he doesn't have that Phase 2 'gently caress it, I'm just going to escape and reset the bubble' bullshit. Sometimes he just runs away and never loving stops to cast a spell so you can get in and punch him. I'd say it's a toss up between Sanctus 1 and the Saviour as worst fight in that game.

Ah, who am I kidding, it's the Saviour. :suicide:

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Yeah DMC4 has a lot of problems, gamewise. I'm also not a huge fan of how they implemented the multiple styles aspect of Dante - but then again I am in a significant minority on that.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

You mean with the d-pad switch? I thought that was genius. What would be preferable?

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

well why not posted:

You mean with the d-pad switch? I thought that was genius. What would be preferable?

I'm more referring to the fact they had to strip back the styles to make them work - the switching itself was as smoothly implemented as it probably could be!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
DMC4 has great core systems (most of which are just lifted out of DMC3) and what little content there exists is polished, but it seriously lacks in the creative department. The whole game felt like paint-by-numbers to me, with the exception of Nero's devil bringer and exceed system. It's really no wonder that Capcom outsourced DmC, they were scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas in DMC4. They should have done the same for Resident Evil after RE5, but whadaya gonna do? :shrug:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
DMC4 would have been a much better game if you never played as Dante.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe, if that meant they could focus more resources on Nero's campaign. As long as Dante was unlockable for his own playthough and Bloody Palace a la Vergil in DMC3SE, then I'd be down with that.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

WeaponBoy posted:

The only problem is that I loving hate the Sanctus fight. Sanctus 2 is ok because the room is smaller and he doesn't have that Phase 2 'gently caress it, I'm just going to escape and reset the bubble' bullshit. Sometimes he just runs away and never loving stops to cast a spell so you can get in and punch him. I'd say it's a toss up between Sanctus 1 and the Saviour as worst fight in that game.

You know when the Savior tries to smash you in the first Sanctus fight? You can buster that to pop out Sanctus ready to be beat up.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

notZaar posted:

Maybe, if that meant they could focus more resources on Nero's campaign. As long as Dante was unlockable for his own playthough and Bloody Palace a la Vergil in DMC3SE, then I'd be down with that.

To be honest, DMC4 (and DmC as well) just needed to get the DMC3 Vergil treatment and let you play through the entire game with either dude. The only limitation I can think of in DMC4 is Nero's annoying for platforming, but just let them work with Trickster and problem solved. gently caress the story, no DMC plot is the reason why you play a DMC game.

Peewi posted:

You know when the Savior tries to smash you in the first Sanctus fight? You can buster that to pop out Sanctus ready to be beat up.

...gently caress. :dawkins101:

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

WeaponBoy posted:

He's running away because you're trying to approach him. When you break his first shield, stay at range until he starts to attack, then you can move in while he's committed. Calibur is incredible here. Here's a video.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd finished DMC4 on Demon Hunter earlier, thought i was doing OK. I loaded up a video of some 'expert' playing bloody palace ... it's like they're playing a different game. There's a dozen techniques that aren't mentioned anywhere in game, like jump cancels, trickster movement & combo linking. It's ridiculous how deep the game is while not ever actually mentioning how it's meant to be played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Truestyle stuff is facinating because of the crazy poo poo within the game's limitations that they find.

And while it's more limited in 3 because of the lack of instant style switching, the stuff people do is impressive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T_RdUPNg6k

Dan Didio posted:

DMC4 would have been a much better game if you never played as Dante.

It wouldn't have been as bad if they'd given him his own campaign - unique bosses, locales, no backtracking (or limited backtracking) etc. But yeah...As it is, he just feels like a playable cameo.

• Locked thread