Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Does anyone have experience with Tour Master?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
10% off coupon for newenough/motorcyclegear.com. Expires at 11:59 pm tonight.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/code/B4BF692ED63B

You're welcome, whoever you are!

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Chiming in with the glove chat. Does anyone have an opinion on Held gloves? I want something for the summer that's a bit comfier than the cheap-rear end A* SP8's I wore last year.

The Held Phantoms are pretty cheap on GetGeared at the moment.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I love mine, grip is phenomenal and the build quality is better than A* and Spidi gloves I've owned. If I had spare money this month I'd be taking advantage of that deal, that's a good price!

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Cheers Reel. I can't actually afford them at the moment either, new tyres for the bike and car hasn't been particularly kind to my bank balance this month.

I'm hoping they'll stay pretty cheap though, it looks like they've released a new version of that glove.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got a pair that looks a lot like that a few years ago. Finger depth was a little longer than the A*s I had, but other than that very comfortable and have held up pretty darn well. Oh also the grey roo leather on the palms has got kind of discolored (darker) over the years. I'd get Helds again when my current pair disintegrate.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Opted to wait until mid-Month when Dainese restocks Revzilla. Figure it's worth it just to say I own Italian leather gloves. :sissies:

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
My Sena SMH10 bluetooh headset just arrived, and I'm curious if anyone that owns one went with the 3M sticky tape included versus the clamp mount.

When looking at the internals of the N104 and other helmets I have, while the clamp mount should hold better, I'm wondering if there is any danger to having that clamp holding both sides of the polycarbonate GE Lexan shell in a crash. If that side of the helmet hits the ground, could you break open the shell with the twisting force of the mount, versus the sticker simply being scrapped off?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's drat near impossible to break open a shell. I learned this when I hit an old helmet with a hammer. The plastic of the Sena will snap long before it does significant damage to the shell. I've already had one of the mounting plates crack from overtightening, oops.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 7, 2013

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Thanks. Ended up going with the clamp, though I had to dremel a small slot in the plastic skirt that goes around the bottom of the Nolan n104 shell to get it to fit. But it seems to work well.

I took the time to be careful on torquing the mounting bolts based on your comment. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SimplyCosmic posted:

Thanks. Ended up going with the clamp, though I had to dremel a small slot in the plastic skirt that goes around the bottom of the Nolan n104 shell to get it to fit. But it seems to work well.

I took the time to be careful on torquing the mounting bolts based on your comment. :)

It cracked after about 3 months of use. They don't need to be super tight on there :)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Got my 99 dollar exo700 the other day. Much better for than my HJC.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Any input on moving from a Scorpion EXO-400 I bought as my first helmet when I wasn't sure I'd like motorcycling to the EXO-1100? Is it a different shape? It looks like it is. Hope they fit the same on my 2XL cannonball melon.

Also wondering about The Revit Airwave pants jacket combo. I need something lighter in color and that moves more air for the coming Florida summer.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

BlackLaser posted:

Any input on moving from a Scorpion EXO-400 I bought as my first helmet when I wasn't sure I'd like motorcycling to the EXO-1100? Is it a different shape? It looks like it is. Hope they fit the same on my 2XL cannonball melon.

Also wondering about The Revit Airwave pants jacket combo. I need something lighter in color and that moves more air for the coming Florida summer.
What other helmets have you tried? I found the EXO-1100 to be very round while the Shoei RF-1100 fits almost perfectly on my ridiculously long and narrow head. If you've got a round head the EXO-1100 should work but I'd try one at a shop beforehand just in case.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I have the Airwave pants jacket combo. It's ok. It flows a lot of air, and kept me alive along with constant hydration superslabbing all day in triple digit heat. The Airwave is built to a price point, you can tell, the zippers in particular aren't fancy YKKs like other Rev'It stuff and the wrist adjusters are just velcro, but it doesn't feel like it's flimsy or going to fall apart. I like my A*stars Verona mesh jacket better quality- and style-wise but it's olive green instead of the white/silver/hi-viz of the Airwave and soaks up the sun a lot more. For more realistically 'hot' Connecticut weather I usually wear the Astars and jeans; since I only wear the Revit pants/jacket as a set for extreme heat I think I might have gotten more bang for the buck with a Teiz one piece, Mojave or Lombard. But at the time I didn't have time before my road trip to explore Teiz sizing.

I'm 5'11 190lbs, 33ish waist, between a 52 and 54 euro jacket size and around 52 pants, and the large jacket / large pants fit fine over a t-shirt/shorts. This is a size down from some of the more ADV Rev'it stuff where I need an XL. If this is your size, I've been thinking about selling mine, but if you have a 2XL cannonball melon I'm guessing you might be bigger overall.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

If you haven't tried them already, UnderArmour HeatGear is the real deal. It will probably knock about 10 degrees off your body temperature if you're wearing mesh gear.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

I have the Airwave pants jacket combo. It's ok. It flows a lot of air, and kept me alive along with constant hydration superslabbing all day in triple digit heat. The Airwave is built to a price point, you can tell, the zippers in particular aren't fancy YKKs like other Rev'It stuff and the wrist adjusters are just velcro, but it doesn't feel like it's flimsy or going to fall apart. I like my A*stars Verona mesh jacket better quality- and style-wise but it's olive green instead of the white/silver/hi-viz of the Airwave and soaks up the sun a lot more. For more realistically 'hot' Connecticut weather I usually wear the Astars and jeans; since I only wear the Revit pants/jacket as a set for extreme heat I think I might have gotten more bang for the buck with a Teiz one piece, Mojave or Lombard. But at the time I didn't have time before my road trip to explore Teiz sizing.

I'm 5'11 190lbs, 33ish waist, between a 52 and 54 euro jacket size and around 52 pants, and the large jacket / large pants fit fine over a t-shirt/shorts. This is a size down from some of the more ADV Rev'it stuff where I need an XL. If this is your size, I've been thinking about selling mine, but if you have a 2XL cannonball melon I'm guessing you might be bigger overall.

5'11" 215lbs, I'm just a bit larger, and will probably go with the XL. Thanks for the sizing feedback though.

I thought about a Teiz Mojave, but I'd like the option to maybe wear armored jeans with a jacket.

Fifty Three posted:

What other helmets have you tried? I found the EXO-1100 to be very round while the Shoei RF-1100 fits almost perfectly on my ridiculously long and narrow head. If you've got a round head the EXO-1100 should work but I'd try one at a shop beforehand just in case.

Just the EXO-400 I have, and it fits my round globe like head. If the EXO-1100 is round as well I'll probably be fine with it then. My main concern was that it was elongated.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Xovaan posted:

If you haven't tried them already, UnderArmour HeatGear is the real deal. It will probably knock about 10 degrees off your body temperature if you're wearing mesh gear.

This man speaks truth. UnderArmor heat compression stuff is a godsend.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

BlackLaser posted:

Just the EXO-400 I have, and it fits my round globe like head. If the EXO-1100 is round as well I'll probably be fine with it then. My main concern was that it was elongated.

I think companies generally stick with the same shape, and if they want to do something different they'll create a different line-up under a different model name. I can also vouch for the roundness of the 1100, as it is the helmet I wear. If you look into my post history in this thread you'll find a couple of posts about it. (I don't post much, so you won't have a hard time)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This man speaks truth. UnderArmor heat compression stuff is a godsend.

The heatgear stuff is what I had on under my Airwaves. I looked spectacularly dorky disrobing down to that in a Waffle House during a chow stop, but it did keep me cool.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

BlackLaser posted:

I've got 'em both, although the jacket is untested... probably going to wear my leather jacket another month or two. I've lost about 15 pounds since I bought the pants (now 6'1", 165lbs) so they're pretty loose in the waist, even with the adjustable part cinched all the way in. (Can I get a tailor to take these in, or should I look into buying new pants?).

I posted this before but it probably got buried in some other stuff I was commenting on: my helmet (Shark Evoline 2) says it's not intended for offroad use. Is this because you go down a lot more often and the helmet may not be good after a single impact, or what? I just got it a few months ago and really don't want to buy a new helmet (both cost wise and being really happy with the design of the Evoline) :saddowns:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
UK/IE people aldi have bike stuff this Sunday.
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week11Sunday13.htm
http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week11Sunday13.htm

I'm curious about the kevlar jeans but I don't know if I feel like fighting my way through the inevitable hordes of people waiting for the stores to open on Sunday morning.

I can recommend the alarmed padlocks though, I use one as a disk lock. i know they can be defeated by serious thieves but they stop morons from loving with your bike as they chirp a few times if they're jostled, and you can loop a chain through them for a little extra security.
The thermal base layer stuff is pretty warm as well I got some last year.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Anyone in the Salt Lake City area that can recommend a store for gear? I'll be in town from Boise at the end of the month and want to browse some stuff, preferably joe rocket, scorpion, icon. Really anything other than bilt.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I just got a tourmaster epic jacket on closeout from newenough and it's crazy how much better a decent jacket is from my last low-end tourmaster from a few years back. Just all the pockets and features (integrated kidneybelt, insulated double zipper, rear fanny pack type pocket, etc) are freaking awesome. The weatherseal like insulation on the zipper flap was mind blowing to me. It's also HEAVY.

Wore it out for the first time yesterday and it was awesome. Definitely snug, though. I won't be able to gain any weight anytime soon. Also will not be warm weather friendly, the mid-liner is non removeable, pratically no ventilation paired with my new bike having a windshield and I'm going to be dying in the summer. Going to have to get my other jacket fixed and/or get a new one.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

echomadman posted:

UK/IE people aldi have bike stuff this Sunday.
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week11Sunday13.htm
http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week11Sunday13.htm

I'm curious about the kevlar jeans but I don't know if I feel like fighting my way through the inevitable hordes of people waiting for the stores to open on Sunday morning.

I can recommend the alarmed padlocks though, I use one as a disk lock. i know they can be defeated by serious thieves but they stop morons from loving with your bike as they chirp a few times if they're jostled, and you can loop a chain through them for a little extra security.
The thermal base layer stuff is pretty warm as well I got some last year.

I went in today and the last pair of pants left were my size, horay for not being a fatty i guess. They're quite comfortable on, have ce knee armour and pockets for hip armour. I'll swap the hip pads back and forth from my winter overpants. Hopefully i will never have to test the "famous" kevlar technology.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I don't understand those armored jeans. They look like those giant skateboard jeans people used to wear. If you're going to look weird anyway, you might as well wear your leathers.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm old and skinny jeans are just stupid and weird to me, so I guess there's that.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

I don't understand those armored jeans. They look like those giant skateboard jeans people used to wear. If you're going to look weird anyway, you might as well wear your leathers.

"Used" to wear? You're spoiled by the coast! Go eight hours south and 30 minutes inland and gawk at the land of bro country, where people are permanently stuck in Korn and Sublime music videos.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

echomadman posted:

I'm old and skinny jeans are just stupid and weird to me, so I guess there's that.

After I lost a bunch of weight, my wife bought me some skinny jeans. They fit fine in the waist, rear end, legs, etc. But they crushed my balls more than I could bear beyond about 30 seconds.

So skinny jeans are stupid, weird and do not accommodate one's nuts.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
How do you guys not understand that there's a range of jeans in between ball-crushing skinny and shapeless fat relaxed fit jeans like most/all motorcycle jeans?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-wil...img&d=deal-page

Hm.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Skinny jeans own. They key is slim-straight, not this tapered calf poo poo that makes you look like a walking cartoon character

Skinny jeans are just jeans for skinny people

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

No CE armor for my iPad? No deal. ATTGATT.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

echomadman posted:

Not old enough, apparently. Baggy jeans never made any sense to me because I grew up when skinny jeans were in the first time 'round.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

How do you guys not understand that there's a range of jeans in between ball-crushing skinny and shapeless fat relaxed fit jeans like most/all motorcycle jeans?

Seriously, people don't seem to understand the concept of "straight leg" jeans. There is a happy medium between poo poo that I wore in 1997 with a matching backwards red yankees cap, IE: Most motorcycle jeans for sale in 2013, and wannabe williamsburg hipster jeans that turn your balls into paste.

Outside of Sartsos in Aussie-land, anyone else found a good kevlar-armor jean that looks like something that a semi-fashion concious white guy would wear in 2013? I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on a pair just to give them a shot.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Where are these skinny motorcycle jeans? Everything out there right now is relaxed fit which looks baggy as hell. I'm 6'1 and 170 lbs. I don need fat rear end baggy legged jeans.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Hood jeans seem aight for us skinny folks. I'm 6'2" 165 and have heard good things!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
you fashionistas are really missing out on the joy of airflow around your balls

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

While we're on the topic, can anyone recommend a good pomade/hair wax? Helmet head is doing me no favours with the hot baristas. Bonus if it will double as a polish for my Ducati.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

ThatCguy posted:

Seriously, people don't seem to understand the concept of "straight leg" jeans. There is a happy medium between poo poo that I wore in 1997 with a matching backwards red yankees cap, IE: Most motorcycle jeans for sale in 2013, and wannabe williamsburg hipster jeans that turn your balls into paste.

Outside of Sartsos in Aussie-land, anyone else found a good kevlar-armor jean that looks like something that a semi-fashion concious white guy would wear in 2013? I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on a pair just to give them a shot.
I'm interested in the answer to this, too. I have these and while they're fine for going to a bar or whatever the stretch panel above the knee kills them for casual office wear. I'd like something a little more discrete, hopefully while retaining the knee armor.