Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Lordy lord that Shadowrun Returns first look video is fantastic. Loving the feel and look of it and the combat looks pretty smooth and uncomplicated to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Our 99 Spirits IndieGoGo campaign reached its goal last night.

I would like to personally thank everyone for all the help making it better.

And of course thank all the contributors for helping us get so far.

Thank you!

I can't wait to release this game, so everyone else can take a look and see why we like it. But of course there is still a lot to do and it will take some time. Guess I can at least share this right now, here check out one of the Tsukumogami from the game, we never revealed this one anywhere else before:

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Congrats on improving your pitch and making your goal!

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:
Regarding that Shadowrun Return video, I really like it but its hard for me to be excited. The reason? The fact that they're already planning on making a loving MMO as a sequel, ugh.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

Regarding that Shadowrun Return video, I really like it but its hard for me to be excited. The reason? The fact that they're already planning on making a loving MMO as a sequel, ugh.
Shadowrun Online has been in the works for quite a while before they had their KS. I guess their original publishing deal from that fell through or something.

Unless you're talking about another game their planning (I haven't really been keeping up with the updates that don't have pretty pictures.)

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

There was a Shadowrun MMO kickstarted shortly after Shadowrun Returns finished, but it's by an entirely different developer. Is that what you're talking about?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yeah, I see this a lot, but the Shadowrun MMO and the video you just saw are two products from two separate companies. Now, there even was a Kickstarter for the MMO onem but I didn't back it because I couldn't give two shits to anything primarily MMO in nature.

And it really doesn't seem like harebrained is of a monied size to make an MMO that would be profitable.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Drifter posted:

And it really doesn't seem like harebrained is of a monied size to make an MMO that would be profitable.
Nor do they have any interest in that sort of product I would think.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
This looks like it could be interesting: Bloom, which strikes me as a sort of cross between Zelda and Ico.

My biggest problem with it so far is price. It seems like $15+ is becoming pretty standard for Kickstarter games, which seems very high to me. That's asking as much as Bastion did, only for a distant promise instead of a fully released game with tons of press coverage. I'm hesitant to back it just because the released game probably won't cost much more during its launch sale, and at least then I know what I'm getting.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah not feeling the Lord British kickstarter at all. Not only does he not need to use Kickstarter to fund the development, he hasn't made a good game in a very long time.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

seorin posted:

This looks like it could be interesting: Bloom, which strikes me as a sort of cross between Zelda and Ico.

My biggest problem with it so far is price. It seems like $15+ is becoming pretty standard for Kickstarter games, which seems very high to me. That's asking as much as Bastion did, only for a distant promise instead of a fully released game with tons of press coverage. I'm hesitant to back it just because the released game probably won't cost much more during its launch sale, and at least then I know what I'm getting.

The artwork is amazing on the main page. Wow. Everything about it seems neat.
That is a pretty steep price, though, for a random person. I would definitely support it at a lower price. Right now I'll at least tell some other people about it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

seorin posted:

Is it just me or does it seem like we're getting a lot more female protagonists in games recently, especially in indie/kickstarted ones? Giana Sisters, They Bleed Pixels, Sealark, Republique, Rainfall: The Sojourn, Radio the Universe, and that one other anime JRPG game that I can't remember.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah not feeling the Lord British kickstarter at all. Not only does he not need to use Kickstarter to fund the development, he hasn't made a good game in a very long time.
Is there some rule that says Kickstarter can only be used by people who can't fund projects themselves? I have no interest whatsoever in this new Ultima game, but just because someone can spend a million dollars on a project doesn't mean they want to or have to in order to get a game made. Who cares, anyway? Either people pledge the money or they don't. The only way anyone loses if it the game gets funded AND doesn't get made successfully, which can happen whether you're indie or not.

Orzo fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 9, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Cicero posted:

Is it just me or does it seem like we're getting a lot more female protagonists in games recently, especially in indie/kickstarted ones? They Bleed Pixels, Sealark, Republique, Rainfall: The Sojourn, and that one other anime JRPG game that I can't remember.
It's a reaction to the AAA bald white male protagonist. My hero is a brown box in a hat, but I still made it a "she" just because I'm so sick of playing bald white men.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Shalinor posted:

It's a reaction to the AAA bald white male protagonist. My hero is a brown box in a hat, but I still made it a "she" just because I'm so sick of playing bald white men.

Won't anyone think of those poor overlooked medium to long haired men? :qq:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Shalinor posted:

Yeah that makes sense. And out of the other major kickstarted games that come to mind, they mostly either have a choice of gender for your character(s) (CRPGs like Project Eternity, Shadowrun, Wasteland, Torment) or they don't really have a protagonist (At the Gates). I think we may have more female protagonist leads in the kickstarted game space than male ones.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Kenshin posted:

Welp, all Skyjacker Starship Constructor backers just got this in their email:

:psypop:

Jesus christ.

I swear International Women's Day must be a big joke in some countries. I got an email from a Brazilian supplier at work today 'celebrating' Women's Day. It was:

"Congratulations! Women on showing yourselves to the world...

Women: Delicious, Interesting, Passionate... Moving"

And its like well if you sent that to any of our women engineers I doubt we'll be doing business with you for a long time...

echoMateria posted:

Our 99 Spirits IndieGoGo campaign reached its goal last night.

I would like to personally thank everyone for all the help making it better.

And of course thank all the contributors for helping us get so far.

Thank you!

I can't wait to release this game, so everyone else can take a look and see why we like it. But of course there is still a lot to do and it will take some time. Guess I can at least share this right now, here check out one of the Tsukumogami from the game, we never revealed this one anywhere else before:

Hey, I have a question: Can I get the original Japanese language game along with the localized version?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

seorin posted:

I'm guessing this will make funding, so good for them. But the entire pitch is about artwork and music and story. They didn't even say anything about gameplay in the video (except a Zelda namedrop), and there's like 2 seconds of footage of the character blocking an arrow. The page itself has a little bit about gameplay (and a single mechanic, the shared heart thing), but it's almost completely trivial. Maybe some future updates (hopefully before the pledge period ends) will elaborate?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cicero posted:

Yeah that makes sense. And out of the other major kickstarted games that come to mind, they mostly either have a choice of gender for your character(s) (CRPGs like Project Eternity, Shadowrun, Wasteland, Torment) or they don't really have a protagonist (At the Gates). I think we may have more female protagonist leads in the kickstarted game space than male ones.
A lot of times games default to male protagonist because they're(publishers) are worried it won't sell as well otherwise. Marketing towards the lowest common denominator and all that. With that hurdle removed I'm not surprised we're seeing more female protagonists.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lord Lambeth posted:

A lot of times games default to male protagonist because they're(publishers) are worried it won't sell as well otherwise. Marketing towards the lowest common denominator and all that. With that hurdle removed I'm not surprised we're seeing more female protagonists.

Aside from that it could also be a case of people 'writing' what they know. The indie scene has allowed a lot more women to express themselves creatively and have people be receptive.

It could also be what Shalinor is saying, in that the space of male protagonist clone #001/3000 isn't really unique or interesting. I know if I weren't making a heavily characterized game I'd probably go with a female protagoonist, simply because it's different. Minor motivations of both sexes are pretty easy to write; they get complicated-er when you start making a person and you can't refer back to yourself for additional depth.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Rinkles posted:

Won't anyone think of those poor overlooked medium to long haired men? :qq:

Don't worry, JRPG villains have got you covered.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Orzo posted:

Is there some rule that says Kickstarter can only be used by people who can't fund projects themselves? I have no interest whatsoever in this new Ultima game, but just because someone can spend a million dollars on a project doesn't mean they want to or have to in order to get a game made. Who cares, anyway? Either people pledge the money or they don't. The only way anyone loses if it the game gets funded AND doesn't get made successfully, which can happen whether you're indie or not.

If you've got as much money as Lord British then you don't need Kickstarter, so if you're using it at all then you're using it only as a source of advertising and preorders. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that but it's a delicate balance since Big Money Kickstarters brings lots of new people to the site but also then takes most of their money. And fundamentally it's not really what Kickstarter is for. Would you object if EA brought their next project to KS solely to collect preorders?

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Just a reminder: Dreamfall Chapters, sequel to The Longest Journey has 32 hours left to go as of writing this. The project has been funded completely, but if you forgot to chip in now would be the time to do it. It would be nice to reach the 1,500,000 "Director's Cut" stretch goal which will include a lot of new content.

They recently updated with a trailer showing various bits of (alpha, I guess) game footage, kickstarter video bloopers and other stuff, go take a look. :)

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Cicero posted:

I find it interesting that on Torment they actually did commission art of the female PC first. So despite being a game where picking your gender was a stretch goal we don't even know what the male PC looks like yet. I'd say that at least as far as the campaign goes that counts. For now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Orzo posted:

If the game is good, the money will come back, so why use Kickstarter? Because it's basically just offloading the risk from him to us. Shows a lack of confidence.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Prop Wash posted:

If you've got as much money as Lord British then you don't need Kickstarter
Most people don't need Kickstarter. They use it to minimize risk. Just because you have $20 million doesn't mean you want to use $1 million on something that might not even sell.

quote:

so if you're using it at all then you're using it only as a source of advertising and preorders.
This logic doesn't follow. His reason for using Kickstarter is no different than anyone else's.

quote:

And fundamentally it's not really what Kickstarter is for.
It doesn't matter what Kickstarter's 'vision' is, what matters is how people actually use it.

quote:

Would you object if EA brought their next project to KS solely to collect preorders?
No, why would I care? Who are they hurting?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I thought the male PC was gonna look like that statue they have in the $2000 reward tier.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Pyradox posted:

I find it interesting that on Torment they actually did commission art of the female PC first. So despite being a game where picking your gender was a stretch goal we don't even know what the male PC looks like yet. I'd say that at least as far as the campaign goes that counts. For now.

According to one of the designers, the gender was meant to have been decided by the backers if they didn't meet the goal. I can't imagine that would've been pretty.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I keep hearing a lot of claims as to the zero-sum nature of KS drives (that is, the idea that a pledge here necessarily precludes a pledge there) but I haven't seen any sort of evidence to that effect, common sense notions aside. I imagine it's a lot less pronounced a phenomenon than people assume, especially given that You're making a pledge for future payment rather than an immediate transaction. Downturns in performance could just as easily be attributed to the progressive difficulty of courting media exposure.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I thought the male PC was gonna look like that statue they have in the $2000 reward tier.
The PC is "The Last Castoff", the statue is "The First Castoff".

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 9, 2013

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

No that's the "first castoff", presumably a companion. You're the last one. Also I took it to be a female.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I finally got a good, long look at the Torment Kickstarter and I have to ask: is George Ziets going to be the 2.5m stretch goal of every Kickstarter Project? If so I can totally get behind that.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I keep hearing a lot of claims as to the zero-sum nature of KS drives (that is, the idea that a pledge here necessarily precludes a pledge there) but I haven't seen any sort of evidence to that effect, common sense notions aside.

It's certainly not the case for me, although I only back at the lowest tier that still nets me a copy of the game. If I see something that really interest me, then I back it. Doesn't matter what I've backed in the past. If I don't back something, I wouldn't have backed it if even I hadn't backed something else just a few weeks ago. That's how it is for me, anyway.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Jimbot posted:

I finally got a good, long look at the Torment Kickstarter and I have to ask: is George Ziets going to be the 2.5m stretch goal of every Kickstarter Project? If so I can totally get behind that.

I imagine Project Awakening would have succeeded if they had George Ziets as a stretch goal.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Orzo posted:

Is there some rule that says Kickstarter can only be used by people who can't fund projects themselves?

No, but I'm not going to fund some obscenely rich and well-connected guy's pet project.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Great Rumbler posted:

It's certainly not the case for me, although I only back at the lowest tier that still nets me a copy of the game. If I see something that really interest me, then I back it.

Same here. I just look at it as insanely early preordering. Sometime in late 2013 to early 2014 I'm going to have more games than I can play, hopefully.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Is it wishful thinking that one of the TToN stretch goals will be getting Chris Avellone on board? Or is he too busy with Project Eternity and Wasteland 2? :sigh:

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Orzo posted:

Most people don't need Kickstarter. They use it to minimize risk. Just because you have $20 million doesn't mean you want to use $1 million on something that might not even sell.

This logic doesn't follow. His reason for using Kickstarter is no different than anyone else's.

It doesn't matter what Kickstarter's 'vision' is, what matters is how people actually use it.

No, why would I care? Who are they hurting?

I would contribute to an EA KS if said Kickstarter was a remake of the Strike series.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Prop Wash posted:

Would you object if EA brought their next project to KS solely to collect preorders?

EA is kind of a bad example since they're pretty well loathed, so a lot of people prefer to avoid giving them money at all, Kickstarter or no. I think a much more interesting question is: if the project interested you, would you pledge to a Kickstarter run by Valve? I'm honestly not sure how I would personally answer that question, but I think it's an interesting one to consider.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:

HiggsBoson81 posted:

There was a Shadowrun MMO kickstarted shortly after Shadowrun Returns finished, but it's by an entirely different developer. Is that what you're talking about?

Yeah, and it pisses me off to no end. I'm not at all interested in playing an RPG of which I already know the sequel will be a MMO

quote:

In collaboration with Cliffhanger Productions, characters and plotlines of Shadowrun Returns will be carried on to Shadowrun Online, which is set approximately 20 years later and will be based upon the video game multiplayer aspect Shadowrun has potential for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

fookolt posted:

Is it wishful thinking that one of the TToN stretch goals will be getting Chris Avellone on board? Or is he too busy with Project Eternity and Wasteland 2? :sigh:
From a torment dev in the thread:

Brother None posted:

Chris is currently writing for Project Eternity, writing novellas for PE and WL2, and working on the publisher pitches for Obsidian. If we add Torment to his workload, he might die. I don't want that on my conscience!!