Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

V for Vegas posted:

You're being too harsh on Anno. You can just potter around in that game for hours without going near combat.

In fact you can turn it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Talkc posted:

I have a friend who is going to be stuck without his gaming desktop and with a laptop overseas. I was looking for games that are online and multiplayer that he and i could play together during his time away as he will have some down time.

Basically it needs to be able to run on a laptop with a 2.1ghz Dual Core, 256mb of video memory and 2 gb of ram, have a low entry cost, and be online multiplayer.

On the list so far: League of Legends, and Path of Exile.

Any good recommendations?

Terraria I will recommend to everyone looking for cooperative multiplayer.
Team Fortress 2 is free and run on everything nowadays.
Frozen Synapse is built to be like a play-by-email game, but works great as a "real time" game.
Magicka is wonderful multiplayer mayhem since you kill each other as often as you kill enemies.
Trine and Trine 2 are wonderful puzzle-like games that are cooperative.
Torchlight and Torchlight 2 are Diabloesque while being cheaper and simpler.

What are you looking for exactly?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

boatiemathmo posted:

I've not tried Stronghold - for the silliest of all reasons (the cover picture had a shot of a soldier outside a castle, and I had enough sieging military games on my shelf already). I'll check it out.

Stronghold is 90% building stuff and 10% going on the offensive. Most of the time, you'll just be building ideal castles and forts and figuring out how to position as many archers on the walls as possible and whether to have other stuff for contingencies. So it's not too heavy on the tactics, but neither do you have to turn your brain off there. There's even a bunch of economics-only missions where you need to do stuff like find enough hops to brew beer for a party, things like that.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

boatiemathmo posted:

I've tried Tropico, and while it's fun I find the constant pressure of balancing all the elements of the economy and keeping people happy enough to be more stressful than I want from a sandbox game. I'm considering Settlers 7, but am not sure if the Victory Conditions mechanic might ruin it. This review here made me a little worried in particular, but the author seems like he was in a sour mood anyway. I've heard a lot about the Anno series, but the descriptions of the combat make me a little cautious. Ideally I'd like a game with little to no combat in it if possible.

Is there anything anyone can think of, or am I being too harsh on Settlers/Anno?

Settlers 7 is all about race for victory points, it never lets you just build in peace, Tropico 4 is relaxed in comparison. So chances are you'll hate it.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I have been on a big Hellgate London kick since I discovered it went F2P. It looks like the company that made it free to play is no longer updating the game or even updating the website so that means it will no doubt be shut down soon.

Are there any games like it with the loot drops and fast action? I love the blend of first person shooter, third person brawler, pet mechanics and of course the loot!

If there is anything like it please let me know so I can waste away my life even more!

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

CappyBottoms posted:

I have been on a big Hellgate London kick since I discovered it went F2P. It looks like the company that made it free to play is no longer updating the game or even updating the website so that means it will no doubt be shut down soon.

Are there any games like it with the loot drops and fast action? I love the blend of first person shooter, third person brawler, pet mechanics and of course the loot!

If there is anything like it please let me know so I can waste away my life even more!

Borderlands 1 and 2 are FPS diablo styled games.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nighteyedie posted:

Borderlands 1 and 2 are FPS diablo styled games.

Just wanted to second this but only for borderlands 2. I couldn't get into BL1 no matter what I tried but found BL2 to be really entertaining. Great game to play while listening to a podcast or something.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Is there a modern PC game that really captures the feel of the original Castlevania? I mean we have awesome stuff like Super-Meat-Boy or even Braid for platformy goodness so I would be keen to hear of one for Castlevania.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Berk Berkly posted:

Is there a modern PC game that really captures the feel of the original Castlevania? I mean we have awesome stuff like Super-Meat-Boy or even Braid for platformy goodness so I would be keen to hear of one for Castlevania.
I haven't played it myself, but I've heard CaveStory is very Castlevania/Metroid.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Berk Berkly posted:

Really vaguely I'd say Super House of Dead Ninjas. There's even a whip.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Are there any modern games that recapture the greatness of the original Age of Wonders? All the better if it has simultaneous turns in multiplayer. I didn't really care for Shadow Magic.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Tenacious J posted:

Are there any modern games that recapture the greatness of the original Age of Wonders? All the better if it has simultaneous turns in multiplayer. I didn't really care for Shadow Magic.

Dominions 3 is the closest you're going to get, and yes, it has simultaneous multiplayer. It's a very "love it or hate it" sort of game, though, with quite the learning curve, so definitely check out the thread on it to see if it might be something you're interested in.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Evilreaver posted:

Terraria I will recommend to everyone looking for cooperative multiplayer.
Team Fortress 2 is free and run on everything nowadays.
Frozen Synapse is built to be like a play-by-email game, but works great as a "real time" game.
Magicka is wonderful multiplayer mayhem since you kill each other as often as you kill enemies.
Trine and Trine 2 are wonderful puzzle-like games that are cooperative.
Torchlight and Torchlight 2 are Diabloesque while being cheaper and simpler.

What are you looking for exactly?

Everyone of these is something we have played to death, minus Trine.

Im basically looking for anything dirt cheap ( from f2p to under 15 bucks ) that is coop and online.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
My brother and I play some of those suggested plus project1999, counterstrike, dungeon defenders, and league of legends.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I recently dusted off my lifetime license of Unreal World (low fantasy roguelike stoneage Finnish RPG game) from 2007, and after getting kicked to death by villagers for stealing turnips again I think I have to give it a rest, what other games like this should I play before I decide to be productive and put down gaming for another year?

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Talkc posted:

Everyone of these is something we have played to death, minus Trine.

Im basically looking for anything dirt cheap ( from f2p to under 15 bucks ) that is coop and online.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is a pretty good top down action game with some fun co-op puzzles.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Tenacious J posted:

If you want a russian/roguelike slant, check out Eador: Genesis

Berk Berkly posted:

Not exactly a recommendation but would it be dumb if I said Arkham Asylum? Sure it's not 2d but it has all the other trappings: Exploring a large hostile compound, defeating enemies by learning their timing, pattern-based bosses, etc.

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 9, 2013

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Arkham Asylum has much more in common with Metroidvanias, imho. He's looking for a Castlevania game, though, and they tend to be pretty different from that.

Which is why Cave Story is also a dumb idea. Metroidvania again.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

HenryEx posted:

Arkham Asylum has much more in common with Metroidvanias, imho. He's looking for a Castlevania game, though, and they tend to be pretty different from that.

Which is why Cave Story is also a dumb idea. Metroidvania again.

I think people are getting confused because the 'vania' from Metroidvania comes from Castlevania. So people think Symphony of the Night and games that came after (which is now the majority of Castlevania games). I'm guessing he wants an old school side scrolling platformer/action game.

And honestly, I just can't think of any. Maybe something like Castle Crashers, or They Bleed Pixels? Castle Crashers is more an old school beat em up though.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

boatiemathmo posted:

I'm trying to find something that's similar to the old Settlers series. I used to play these a lot when I wanted something very sandboxy, especially Settlers 2 and 3, and greatly enjoyed slowly building up an economy and settlement, plopping down buildings and watching them grow. I especially liked the way that there was almost no time-pressure most of the time (especially in single-player), and you could build at your own pace. I'm trying to find something like that that's a little more modern, and preferably available on Steam (I travel a lot, and carting installation discs around is a pain).

I've tried Tropico, and while it's fun I find the constant pressure of balancing all the elements of the economy and keeping people happy enough to be more stressful than I want from a sandbox game. I'm considering Settlers 7, but am not sure if the Victory Conditions mechanic might ruin it. This review here made me a little worried in particular, but the author seems like he was in a sour mood anyway. I've heard a lot about the Anno series, but the descriptions of the combat make me a little cautious. Ideally I'd like a game with little to no combat in it if possible.

Is there anything anyone can think of, or am I being too harsh on Settlers/Anno?

I wish they would make a version of Sim City where you just controlled general governmental priorities and set tax rates and stuff like that, and you watched the city grow as the citizens do whatever they have in mind. Kinda-sorta ant-farm-like. It would actually be more like being an actual mayor of a real-world city, I think. Has there ever been a game like that, or is that too much of a hands-off idea to ever get turned into an actual game?

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Yesterday I asked about something like Age of Wonders and it looks like Eador would be perfect, but I (shamefully) don't have a good time with outdated graphics and controls - also why I can't do Dominions 3. I'm eagerly waiting the new Eador though.

Until that comes out, I noticed Fallen Enchantress and Warlock: Master of the Arcane. I did a little reading, but could someone tell me the major difference? Both games don't seem too well received - is that just because they are niche games? Something I'd really enjoy playing would be a game with lots of magic spells and these seem to have that.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

prefect posted:

I wish they would make a version of Sim City where you just controlled general governmental priorities and set tax rates and stuff like that, and you watched the city grow as the citizens do whatever they have in mind. Kinda-sorta ant-farm-like. It would actually be more like being an actual mayor of a real-world city, I think. Has there ever been a game like that, or is that too much of a hands-off idea to ever get turned into an actual game?

Distant Worlds does this as a space 4X game. You control the government taxes, military etc, but all private ships and commerce is handled by the AI. You have to make sure that space lanes stay safe etc to allow the private sector to flourish.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

tuyop posted:

I recently dusted off my lifetime license of Unreal World (low fantasy roguelike stoneage Finnish RPG game) from 2007, and after getting kicked to death by villagers for stealing turnips again I think I have to give it a rest, what other games like this should I play before I decide to be productive and put down gaming for another year?

Dungeons of Dredmor and DoomRL.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004

boatiemathmo posted:

I've not tried Stronghold - for the silliest of all reasons (the cover picture had a shot of a soldier outside a castle, and I had enough sieging military games on my shelf already). I'll check it out.

Regarding Anno, I see 1404's not on Steam although there are workarounds which I can try and get going. I gather from this thread that 1404 is the version I want, right? I'm looking for something cutesy and fun-looking, and 2070 seems a bit futuristically clean and clinical for my tastes.

edit: I'm a moron, this was mostly answered on the previous page. Thanks for the advice. Would appreciate input from anyone who's tried Settlers 7 though.

Just found Anno 1404 in uPlay for $20, and if you buy it online from them you get a free game with it - so picking up Settlers as well for nothing. All in all not a bad deal.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

V for Vegas posted:

Distant Worlds does this as a space 4X game. You control the government taxes, military etc, but all private ships and commerce is handled by the AI. You have to make sure that space lanes stay safe etc to allow the private sector to flourish.

You don't even have to control that either, as there are options to fully automate the game entirely. It's a fantastic entry in the space 4x game but it's quite expensive ($67 for the whole lot, where the expansions are semi-mandatory in how useful they are) and a rather steep learning curve.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I have several itches that need scratching. These can be multiple games, I'm not too picky.

-A creative game, where you can come up with various solutions to problems, like minecraft if it had meaningful depth, or a good citybuilder if it satisfies another itch.
-I need a challenging game that squeezes you throughout, until you figure it out and can destroy the game, bending it to your will. I've conquered dwarf fortress :smith:
-Semi-mindless running puzzle. City builders sorta fit this, but I'm talking more like 10,000,000 or Dungeon Raid without the "you will lose eventually". I want to lose when I gently caress up, thank you, not because math says the enemies/challenge scale faster than I can.
-A good exploration game, especially when paired with #1, and ESPECIALLY paired with a story of any caliber. I love downloading RP maps for GMod because they always have a ton of places to just explore. If you recommend Proteus I will personally end you. Dishonored and Antichamber fit this category.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Evilreaver posted:

I have several itches that need scratching. These can be multiple games, I'm not too picky.

-A creative game, where you can come up with various solutions to problems, like minecraft if it had meaningful depth, or a good citybuilder if it satisfies another itch.
-I need a challenging game that squeezes you throughout, until you figure it out and can destroy the game, bending it to your will. I've conquered dwarf fortress :smith:
-Semi-mindless running puzzle. City builders sorta fit this, but I'm talking more like 10,000,000 or Dungeon Raid without the "you will lose eventually". I want to lose when I gently caress up, thank you, not because math says the enemies/challenge scale faster than I can.
-A good exploration game, especially when paired with #1, and ESPECIALLY paired with a story of any caliber. I love downloading RP maps for GMod because they always have a ton of places to just explore. If you recommend Proteus I will personally end you. Dishonored and Antichamber fit this category.
I was going to say Dwarf Fortress for 1 :( 2 and 4 could definitely be Dark Souls.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Berk Berkly posted:

I remember once seeing a gameplay video of an indie tribute type game for the original Castlevania in passing, whip and dracula and all, though the graphics weren't the best. I don't remember a name or where I saw it, though you might get lucky if you search for Castlevania in the free indie games thread.

Edit: Found it, the Soul of Dracula. There seems to be a download link in the video description.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 10, 2013

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Evilreaver posted:

Maybe it's not mindless enough, but I really recommend Legend of Fae for an in-depth match 3. You match 3 but then you also have to match elements for combat bonuses, AND it has a story.

quote:

It's a bit light on the story but exploring is just about the only thing you do in Miasmata.

And if you like Dishonored you must try the Thief games. All of them.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
Just started getting into Settlers 7 and had fun in the past with Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery and the Civilization games, but I'm wanting to try something that has a more fleshed out military and warfare component within the city building genre. I've played Total War titles and the old Stronghold games but I'm kinda hoping for an Anno 1404 with a deeper warfare mechanic. Preferably a newer title with a graphics engine more Anno 1404 than Stronghold 1 but I'm doubting there's anything out there I"m not already aware of.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Tenacious J posted:

Yesterday I asked about something like Age of Wonders and it looks like Eador would be perfect, but I (shamefully) don't have a good time with outdated graphics and controls - also why I can't do Dominions 3. I'm eagerly waiting the new Eador though.
You should give it a chance. The only obvious graphics problem to deal with is that units don't animate on tactical map. The controls are alright, it's just a complex game that takes a couple of hours to get a good hang of. I couldn't get into Dominions 3 either, but Eador is a steal at only $3 given it yields hundreds of hours of gameplay. There's always the chance that the new version would suck and be buggy, but meanwhile you can enjoy it as is.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I love 4X space games. I don't like combat/military in 4X games. I just want to build up my colonies and economy in peace and sit back and watch it all merrily chugging along. Basically I'm looking for Anno with all combat options turned off... in space.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
I'd love a recommendation for a city builder. I'd like a game not too complex and preferably set in the past, perhaps medieval times, with farming and lots of charme rather than modern/futuristic and overly complex micromanaging games like simcity because I'm new to the genre, doesn't have to be heavy on the conquering of enemies either. Graphic requirements shouldn't be too high since my PC is probably about 5 years old and wasn't set up for gaming back then either.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

The go-to recommendation city-building (especially medieval ones with charm) is Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery (available on Uplay). Your computer should run it just fine if you tone down the settings, unless it's a 5 year-old laptop.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Shab posted:

I love 4X space games. I don't like combat/military in 4X games. I just want to build up my colonies and economy in peace and sit back and watch it all merrily chugging along. Basically I'm looking for Anno with all combat options turned off... in space.

I really wish more developers would produce combat-optional titles. I love all sorts of city/empire building games, but almost invariably they get to a point where if you neglect your military someone comes along and stomps the poo poo out of you.
I don't care if it's not realistic, I just want to be a peaceful trading country without having my poo poo conquered, dammit :colbert:

There was an older game... I think it was "Cultures" but I'm not sure. They offered a choice between military solutions (crush and conquer) or trading solutions (trade them X of these, or build up relations with them) for the scenarios. Why can't more games do this :smith:. I mean, Anno made a start with the "buy their government to win their island" stuff but I want something more in-depth that the game is built on.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bouchacha posted:

The go-to recommendation city-building (especially medieval ones with charm) is Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery (available on Uplay). Your computer should run it just fine if you tone down the settings, unless it's a 5 year-old laptop.

Games > Recommend me a game, again (Just play Anno).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

heiden posted:

I'd love a recommendation for a city builder. I'd like a game not too complex and preferably set in the past, perhaps medieval times, with farming and lots of charme rather than modern/futuristic and overly complex micromanaging games like simcity because I'm new to the genre, doesn't have to be heavy on the conquering of enemies either. Graphic requirements shouldn't be too high since my PC is probably about 5 years old and wasn't set up for gaming back then either.

There's a series of city-builders on GOG.com. My personal favorite is Zeus(and the add-on Poseidon) but the older ones like Caesar III and Pharaoh are pretty keen too. You create lots of supply chains for your cities, and the houses grow into apartments (and thus, can hold more people) as you supply them with basic needs, which are provided by guys walking past them (for ex: build a water-bearer building, guys with pots of water walk down the road giving water to nearby houses, the houses grow taller and better automatically). Road placement is pretty important because if you don't have all the guys walking around all the right places, nothing gets serviced, but the progressions are pretty logical and the games usually tell you exactly what's missing.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
I got Anno 1404 and it's scarily complex for a newbie O_O I'll give it my best though.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

heiden posted:

I got Anno 1404 and it's scarily complex for a newbie O_O I'll give it my best though.

One tip the tutorial missions may not help much with is that your warehouses are island-based, not individual, and they don't need to connect to each other with roads. So if you place a mine on the edge of your territory, you can drop a warehouse next to it and connect the warehouse and the mine, and not have to run roads all the gently caress over the place. It allows you to build more efficient "pockets" of production that worry about their own collection, rather than trying to worry about traffic infrastructure on an entire island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

I think people are getting confused because the 'vania' from Metroidvania comes from Castlevania. So people think Symphony of the Night and games that came after (which is now the majority of Castlevania games). I'm guessing he wants an old school side scrolling platformer/action game.

And honestly, I just can't think of any. Maybe something like Castle Crashers, or They Bleed Pixels? Castle Crashers is more an old school beat em up though.

The freeware game Maldita Castilla is heavily inspired by both Ghosts 'n' Goblins and old-school Castlevania.