Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Krinkle posted:

How are they at all similar? I am not seeing any connections.

I meant their characters - although a lot of people are claiming Hanamura was trying to kill Maybe-Naegi after finding out he was plotting a murder is a little similar to what Leon did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

I meant their characters - although a lot of people are claiming Hanamura was trying to kill Maybe-Naegi after finding out he was plotting a murder is a little similar to what Leon did.

Honestly, I have no clue where people are coming up with that stuff. How in hell are Leon and Hanamura alike? One's a short, fat faux-urban-sophisticated pervert who never fails to proclaim just how much of a pervert he is to the disgust of all the girls (and most of the boys) around. The other is a tall, pretty-boy punk-rocker/sports star with some delusions about his musical ability who seems to be pretty popular with the girls, even though he doesn't have many qualms about dating several at once. They don't look alike, they don't talk alike and they don't have the same personality.

Honestly, if any of the new cast is similar to Leon, at least with their general attitude and mannerism, it's probably Souda.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!

Bellmaker posted:

I'm not seeing Peko's condition as poisoning at this point. She prepared her own food, no one else is sick. I am willing to bet it will come up at the trial though, but I'm leaning towards it being character development for her (trying to become stronger to overcome some kind of illness like Sakura's friend in DR1, maybe?)

Keep in mind that it is possible that Hanamura may have brought her a second plate.

Peko having some kind of illness is possible. She has pale skin, red eyes and white hair. It's possible she may be an albino. Being on a desert island would certainly mess with her.

I'm still leaning towards poison though. Either she just happened to take poisoned food, or someone visited her and poisoned her food. (Or perhaps someone knows about an allergy that she has and put that into the food.) It just seems too coincidental that the one guarding the breaker and case got sick for it not to be poison. (Well, not poison exactly, but some type of laxative.)

It's also possible that there was something in the office that made her sick.

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza
If anybody poisoned Peko, I'd lean more towards Nagito doing so rather than Hanamura. If he staged the blackout and the knife and everything, he'd be the one to ensure the breakers were unsupervised while he carried out his plan.

He could've slipped something into her food or her drink at any point once she decided to guard the office. I think Owari being totally fine is meant to prove that ALL the food wasn't poisoned, just Peko's.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
We've found no poison even though we're now at trail so I'm putting money on undercooked meat or magical anime illness.
Undercooked ties into the idea that Chefy was busy with other something else (murder) when he should have cooking.
Magic anime illness could be a characterisation thingy. I doubt it's this but one has to pretend not to be totally biased in favour of your own theory.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I've said it before, but holding your stomach and rushing to the bathroom means "I have to take a poo poo" in anime-speak. It doesn't make any sense at all, but that is how it is.

In short, I'm talking about poo poo. SHIIIIIIIITTTTTT.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I could buy Peko's food being poisoned separately from the rest of the group. She offered herself up to go off on her own to guard the office, she's the perfect person to frame. Chef seems pretty likely, but I can't ignore the fact that Nagito seemed extremely unconcerned with the bloody tablecloth they found. He's also so adamant about not accusing anyone, and then he slips off to be alone before the trial begins.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Frankly at this point I think Peko's just got the shits. No poison or nothing. Seems like her role for this case is Primary Red Herring.

atsuwrong
Mar 6, 2013
Regarding how Togami got under the table, I believe the blackout dialogue makes a lot of sense if we go for the theory that Komaeda was the one who planned the blackout and stuck the knife under the table but was not the murderer?

orenronen posted:

Oy, what are you doing?!
Stop it!!
Ow!

The power goes out, and Togami naturally whips out his handy-dandy defense case and breaks out his night vision goggles, only to see Nagito follow the lamp cord he was standing by and duck under the table. (Oy, what are you doing?!) Togami naturally assumes he's up to no good, (Stop it!!) and barrels across the room to stop him, literally shoving him out from under the table with his own momentum/body weight. (Ow!) Hanamura is waiting underneath the floorboards, and expects to stab Komaeda, but gets Togami instead.

slam5000
Aug 19, 2012
Am I the only one who doesn't think those meat skewers looked small enough to be 5 millimeters?
They definitely look thin... but 5 millimeters is about the size of the numbers on a credit card. (the amount they stick out from the card itself) That's REALLY thin. Maybe I'm just crazy, but the meet skewers don't look that thin to me. I'm pretty sure any meat skewer that tiny wouldn't be able to hold any meat without snapping in half, or wobbling all over the place

Goldfinch
Feb 15, 2013

big-boned :colbert:
For the sake of :science: I just went and measured my own meat skewers - they're 7mm thick, and they're pretty sturdy. So I don't think a 5mm meat skewer sounds strange. I mean, that's half a centimeter unless I'm totally loving up my metric math. And I can't think of what else could have been used as a weapon that would be that size.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

orenronen posted:

Honestly, if any of the new cast is similar to Leon, at least with their general attitude and mannerism, it's probably Souda.

Agreed on the comparison being ridiculous, but I was thinking Ibuki here - she hits the "self-assured smugness" part of Leon a lot better than jumpy, nervous Souda.

slam5000 posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't think those meat skewers looked small enough to be 5 millimeters?
They definitely look thin... but 5 millimeters is about the size of the numbers on a credit card. (the amount they stick out from the card itself) That's REALLY thin. Maybe I'm just crazy, but the meet skewers don't look that thin to me. I'm pretty sure any meat skewer that tiny wouldn't be able to hold any meat without snapping in half, or wobbling all over the place

Think about the alternative here - is the skewer a total red herring and a previously undiscovered and unmentioned giant needle or something about to be introduced in the trial?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

slam5000 posted:

They definitely look thin... but 5 millimeters is about the size of the numbers on a credit card. (the amount they stick out from the card itself) That's REALLY thin.

I think you're off a bit here. Your average credit card is about 2mm thick. 5mm would be about the hight of the numbers. It's still thin but totally in line with skewers I've used (for food, not murder).

Whooping Toff
Oct 21, 2010

*ahem*

I do beg your pardon.
Yeah, 5mm for what is pretty much just a long spike is well in line with what you'd expect.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Sketching random stuff. This one is relevant here and it didn't turn out terrible, so yeah.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
What actually happened is that Togami actually ate one of the skewers and managed to stab himself several times in the process of swallowing it. That said, after orenronen describes the chef as..

orenronen posted:

One's a short, fat faux-urban-sophisticated pervert who never fails to proclaim just how much of a pervert he is to the disgust of all the girls (and most of the boys) around.

He's basically Guy Fieri so I hope this fucker burns soon.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.

tiistai posted:

Sketching random stuff. This one is relevant here and it didn't turn out terrible, so yeah.

I love it :haw: make one of Gundam, he needs more fanart

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

What actually happened is that Togami actually ate one of the skewers and managed to stab himself several times in the process of swallowing it. That said, after orenronen describes the chef as..

He's basically Guy Fieri so I hope this fucker burns soon.

Teruteru is actually a talented chef, though.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

tiistai posted:

perfectly captures her blank, gaping stare.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

orenronen posted:

Honestly, I have no clue where people are coming up with that stuff. How in hell are Leon and Hanamura alike?

Agreed on this. Hanamura doesn't fit anyone from Dangan Ronpa at all, in my opinion.

orenronen posted:

Out of all the SDR2 cast, Souda reminds me the most of Leon. Here's hoping he'll live longer than him, because Leon was my favorite Dangan Ronpa character, and his execution at the end of Chapter 1 made me really sad. :smith:

tiistai posted:

Ooh, I like this! Really good.

igota75
Feb 9, 2006
hopeless in honolulu

Power of Pecota posted:

Think about the alternative here - is the skewer a total red herring and a previously undiscovered and unmentioned giant needle or something about to be introduced in the trial?

Gundam's earring maybe? That's why it ended up stuck under the floorboards? I've been looking to see when the first mention of the earring being lost is made. Hinata definitely asks him if he is STILL looking once the investigation starts, so it had to have disappeared before the murder, right?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Goldfinch posted:

For the sake of :science: I just went and measured my own meat skewers - they're 7mm thick, and they're pretty sturdy. So I don't think a 5mm meat skewer sounds strange. I mean, that's half a centimeter unless I'm totally loving up my metric math. And I can't think of what else could have been used as a weapon that would be that size.

Yes, but I assume you don't have meat skewers that are 3 feet long? (You might, and then I am sorry for my tone, and would like to ask where you got them.) I doubt you could size it up, and keep it less than 1cm thick.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

igota75 posted:

Gundam's earring maybe? That's why it ended up stuck under the floorboards? I've been looking to see when the first mention of the earring being lost is made. Hinata definitely asks him if he is STILL looking once the investigation starts, so it had to have disappeared before the murder, right?

Okay, I'm not sure if I'm reading your post right here. Are you suggesting that Gundam's earring is the murder weapon?

He lost it in the same update as the blackout, not that long before it, incidentally.

igota75
Feb 9, 2006
hopeless in honolulu
Well I obviously am grasping at straws and haven't thought it all through. I will admit to reading "5mm in diameter" as "how deep the wounds are" which is absolutely the wrong idea. Not to mention the amount of fat padding protecting his vital organs is far too much for an earring to do more than puncture skin.

In conclusion no I do not wish to suggest the earring is the prime suspected murder weapon.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Super High-School Level Stoner.
Apologies to tiistai.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

If it helps anyone to visualize it, 5mm is basically a .22 bullet, except instead of however much penetrating power that has (not much, probably), it's rammed in repeatedly with a spear.

lonesiekarp
Mar 9, 2013
I guess the detail that still has me on the edge of whodunnit is the amount of space under the floor. Just because Tanaka could get under there to find his earring (implying that he even went under there himself), doesn't mean that the rather rotund Hanamura could manage it let alone stab someone repeatedly.

I'm really curious to see if the trial discusses it right off the bat or if the space is a big reveal thing.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

orenronen posted:

Honestly, I have no clue where people are coming up with that stuff. How in hell are Leon and Hanamura alike? One's a short, fat faux-urban-sophisticated pervert who never fails to proclaim just how much of a pervert he is to the disgust of all the girls (and most of the boys) around. The other is a tall, pretty-boy punk-rocker/sports star with some delusions about his musical ability who seems to be pretty popular with the girls, even though he doesn't have many qualms about dating several at once. They don't look alike, they don't talk alike and they don't have the same personality.

Well, both of them are playboys (and even if no-one's falling for his poo poo here except for Sonia, you can beat some girls would since he's famous), and both are pretty cocky about what they can do. Hanamura panics way quicker, but that's more similarities than Leon has with Souda personality-wise.

Goldfinch
Feb 15, 2013

big-boned :colbert:

Gensuki posted:

Yes, but I assume you don't have meat skewers that are 3 feet long? (You might, and then I am sorry for my tone, and would like to ask where you got them.) I doubt you could size it up, and keep it less than 1cm thick.

Nope, 19 inches. So maybe 5mm would be too thin for a 3-foot-long skewer (although - where did it say that's how long the skewers are? I missed that completely). But I still don't see any other possibilities for the murder weapon that would fit. It can't have been the knife, and we know a skewer was missing... seems to add up to me.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Goldfinch posted:

Nope, 19 inches. So maybe 5mm would be too thin for a 3-foot-long skewer (although - where did it say that's how long the skewers are? I missed that completely). But I still don't see any other possibilities for the murder weapon that would fit. It can't have been the knife, and we know a skewer was missing... seems to add up to me.

3 feet wasn't specified, but going by the picture where Togami is eating meat off of them, and considering he's a bit past 6 feet tall himself, anything less than 2 feet and I would blame the artist for misleading me. If I was better at SA forums, I would quote the gif of him eating off of them.

Also, they're kind of shaped more like rapiers than skewers... or maybe skewers fancier than mine all have handles?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

V!ntar posted:

I love it :haw: make one of Gundam, he needs more fanart

A swell idea

The joke doesn't make much sense, but worry not. I'll learn humor after I'm done learning art.

Nanomashoes posted:

Apologies to tiistai.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

tiistai posted:

A swell idea

The joke doesn't make much sense, but worry not. I'll learn humor after I'm done learning art.

It's beautiful :swoon:

Only a dark god would be capable of defeating Fatogami, after all.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

tiistai posted:

A swell idea

Everything about this post is magnificent.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I don't know why we have stoner gamer now, but :iia: and I approve of it 100%.

And with the latest update, I am wondering if the wire has a role in causing Togami to fall under the table. My current theory is something like this:

Nagito is the mole and threatened by Monobear to kill somebody. He took the chance of the party and set up the knife and the blackout, but felt guilty about it and send a warning letter to Togami afterwards.

Somehow the murderer (very probably Hanamura) noticed the plan and concluded that somebody will get under the table in darkness at some point. He/she stole a skewer and added the glow-in-dark paint as a visual cue for striking (stab with skewer from under the floorboard when the paint cannot be seen).

When the murder time comes, Nagito head for the knife but he did account for Togami with night-vision goggles. Togami tried to catch Nagito but was tripped by the wire, fell under the table and the murderer stabbed him to death.

Since Nagito is the one who triggers everything, Monobear would still be techinically correct to call him "the culprit" when referring to the one creating the blackout.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Y'all need to remember there is no mole. There is a traitor, by which I mean someone who should not be here at all, and even Monobear is unaware who it is. They are a student who is not meant to be in this class, and if the memory loss deal is still true, they may not even be aware of it. That being said, I do believe the "traitor" can only be one of two people at this point: Nagito or Hinata. What their role will prove to be in the story with relation to the traitor position is completely beyond me.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

kidcoelacanth posted:

Y'all need to remember there is no mole. There is a traitor, by which I mean someone who should not be here at all, and even Monobear is unaware who it is. They are a student who is not meant to be in this class, and if the memory loss deal is still true, they may not even be aware of it. That being said, I do believe the "traitor" can only be one of two people at this point: Nagito or Hinata. What their role will prove to be in the story with relation to the traitor position is completely beyond me.

Except the obvious "traitor" is Togami, since we know Togami is not meant to be in this class. His classmates were everyone from the first game, not these guys.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Except the obvious "traitor" is Togami, since we know Togami is not meant to be in this class. His classmates were everyone from the first game, not these guys.

Also an option, but in the metagame I really doubt they'd bring up that plot hook just to knock him off first.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

kidcoelacanth posted:

Also an option, but in the metagame I really doubt they'd bring up that plot hook just to knock him off first.

That's not a good reason, especially since (if you wanna play the metagame game) Monobear brought it up during the "motive" segment, which has historically always had a lot to do with who's next to get knocked off.

And if they bring up a plot point related to Togami, it doesn't mean they're going to drop all plot threads related to him now that he's dead. There's clearly a huge amount of unanswered questions about him and I'd legitimately be surprised if they managed to answer them all in the space of the single upcoming trial.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 11, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Jeek posted:

I don't know why we have stoner gamer now, but :iia: and I approve of it 100%.

How else do you expect her to beat Ultimate Hacky Sack 2013? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Something keeps bothering me about the murder scene. I have trouble keeping up with the discussion in the thread, so this may have been brought up before, but why didn't Togami scream when he was murdered? We got an "Ow!" from him, and then nothing.

My reasoning is that somebody above the floor knocked him unconscious before skewering him. The amount of bloodspatter around the area doesn't tell me that he was stabbed while lying face down, though; I doubt blood would have gotten all over the tablecloth if he was laying on his stomach and being impaled from underneath the floorboards. The floorboards could very well turn out to be a giant red herring.

What's still possible is that the floorboards were used to dispose of the murder weapon, however. If we believe Nagito's assessment and assume that the area under the floorboards is inaccessible, then the murderer could simply drop the skewer between the floorboards after stabbing Togami, and it would never be found. Unless, of course, Gundam's hamsters were snooping underneath the floorboards for some reason; I get the feeling he might surprise us with some evidence later on.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 11, 2013

• Locked thread