Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Oh no now I have to decide between Shadow Magic and Eador :ohdear: Please help friends

They're both great. Eador can have issues running in windows 7, basically a sound stuttering/slowness thing. There's a fix, but it didn't work for me. Eador is also much harder than Shadow Magic though it's hard in a good way. I'd check some youtubes of the combat in the games and see which one looks more appealing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Am I right in thinking you need to buy Age of Wonders before playing AoW: Shadow Magic? GoG usually bundles things like that so I'm confused.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Shadow Magic is standalone.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Even though the UI is old and clunky now, the original Jagged Alliance is still a fun game once you get the swing of things.

I forgot how cathartic it was to struggle through the first couple of days with the starting scrubs mercs, then finally be able to recruit Magic who starts with a magnum and insane marksmanship, and can wipe out entire sectors by himself.

Dec 26, 2012

Vakal posted:

I forgot how cathartic it was to struggle through the first couple of days with the starting scrubs mercs, then finally be able to recruit Magic who starts with a magnum and insane marksmanship, and can wipe out entire sectors by himself.

Really if you just hire like the 3-4 passable starter mercs that usually is enough until you have a little more cash.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Oh no now I have to decide between Shadow Magic and Eador :ohdear: Please help friends

I'd say go with Shadow Magic. It got a ton of post-release support from fans, and doesn't really feel aged at all. The sequel is quite some way off and looks to be pretty different.

Eador is starting to look and feel a little crumbly. Thankfully, there's a remake coming soon.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
How's Spycraft: The Great Game hold up these days? I remember wanting it when it came out but never got the chance to play it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

How's Spycraft: The Great Game hold up these days? I remember wanting it when it came out but never got the chance to play it.

I liked it. I didn't beat it but I liked it.

It does get a bit confusing because like adventure games you need to do things in just the right order.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I rather like it. The thing is that it was designed to show real-world tactics spies use, so it felt a little Mission Impossible-esque with cutting edge tech when it came out, but now it feels like a mid-90s simulator. Pretty much all of the fancy surveilance and investigative tools you use in the game could all be done with an iPhone now. So it is dated today.

It still holds up as a solid adventure game, IMHO. Just be prepared for it to feel dated.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I imagine the Gog version would get rid of one of the more annoying parts of it too, having to change disks whenever you flew to a new location.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Blade is crashing for me after completing the first Knight level. It's a shame, I'm really having fun hacking evil knights' heads off.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is Eador's campaign really hard or do I just suck at it? Even the tutorial's last fight was surprisingly hard (as a Wizard). Not having anything but lovely Slingers and Mediocre Spearmen against Swordsman and Pikesmen was not cool!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Traveller posted:

Blade is crashing for me after completing the first Knight level. It's a shame, I'm really having fun hacking evil knights' heads off.

Save before the crash point, then try chaning your renderer from OpenGL to D3D or nGlide. Once you get past that point, save and change back to OpenGL.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Is Eador's campaign really hard or do I just suck at it? Even the tutorial's last fight was surprisingly hard (as a Wizard). Not having anything but lovely Slingers and Mediocre Spearmen against Swordsman and Pikesmen was not cool!
I found that last fight quite tough as well. I got my rear end handed to me the first time. I just rebuilt my squad and levelled by using the "enter location" command in the various provinces. The campaign proper is a bit strange. It starts off ok but when I try to "enter location" (ruins, graveyards, towers, etc.), I never know how difficult the fight is going to be. Sometimes I walk it, sometimes I wipe in two turns. It's quite frustrating not being able to gauge the difficulty of a battle before accepting.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

How well does Beyond Good & Evil play on Windows 8? I loved it on the ps2 and I have the strangest urge to play again.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Autumncomet posted:

How well does Beyond Good & Evil play on Windows 8? I loved it on the ps2 and I have the strangest urge to play again.

Runs just as well on my Windows 7 machine as it does on my Windows 8 machine. You'll need to change some of the video options to fix the flickering lights issue, though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

adamarama posted:

I found that last fight quite tough as well. I got my rear end handed to me the first time. I just rebuilt my squad and levelled by using the "enter location" command in the various provinces. The campaign proper is a bit strange. It starts off ok but when I try to "enter location" (ruins, graveyards, towers, etc.), I never know how difficult the fight is going to be. Sometimes I walk it, sometimes I wipe in two turns. It's quite frustrating not being able to gauge the difficulty of a battle before accepting.

When the prompt for what's in the fight comes up, your hero's portrait will show up at the top of the screen and say things like "The enemy is doomed!" or "We should retreat" or something. It's a gauge of whether or not you should attack. Familiarity with things probably helps too, like, uh, knowing that demons are apparently badasses.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Guillermus posted:

Save before the crash point, then try chaning your renderer from OpenGL to D3D or nGlide. Once you get past that point, save and change back to OpenGL.

That didn't work.

What did work was playing the level all over again. The only thing I did different was opening my own cell once I had the dungeon key (I still had it the first time around, maybe that was causing the crash?)

Anyway, back to hacking and mauling.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Postal 2 is considered a classic gem now?

:wtc:

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

If you are suggesting otherwise I will decapitate you with a shovel and piss down your throat.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I'd consider it one. It's a big, dumb, juvenile, fun game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, it is good but doesn't something need to be old to be considered "classical?" [/devil'sadvocate]

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Speedball posted:

Well, it is good but doesn't something need to be old to be considered "classical?" [/devil'sadvocate]

It's a decade old.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's a decade old.

Also, it doesn't need to be old.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Lots of exciting news today!

Magic Carpet 2: The Netherworlds (1995), $6

Secret Agent (1992), $6

Big promo - pick five games out of twenty and get a 80% discount on all of them

If you need suggestions on what games to pick, here's what I would get if I didn't own them already: Witcher 1, Grimrock, Divinity 2, Defender's Quest, Chronicles of Riddick. Grand total? $15. That's about 200 hours of quality entertainment for $15.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 12, 2013

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Magic Carpet 2, holy crap! Secret Agent, holy crap!

There goes any reason to buy the first Magic Carpet for new costumers, its sequel is truly excellent.

Secret Agent (and Crystal Caves) had some truly busy level design, with Secret Agent heavily reminiscing of Commander Keen 2 and Duke Nukem in feel and graphics.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh, man, I've been waiting for Magic Carpet 2 for so long. I like the first one, but it has nothing on the atmosphere of 2. I still remember exploring those humongous underground labyrinths and being completely blown away.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are there mods or cheats or something for the Ultima games if I just want to run through them for the plot, like say Planescape Torment? Or is combat in these games already easy? I remember having to grind quite a bit to be strong enough to finish The False Prophet so many years ago (the only Ultima I've ever played).

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's kind of weird cheating with them, like I don't even see the point of playing as an adult. It was fun to do as a kid and just gently caress around with the open world, especially in U7.

U6 has a cheat menu activated in chat (say to Iolo spam, spam, spam, humbug as separate lines), and U7 & 8 have ones activated with the command-line (look it up).

Thing is in Ultima 7, if you do the Forge of Virtue add-on (follow Lord British's initial instructions to find your ship), you become ridiculously super-powered for the rest of the game making everything else a breeze. Serpent Isle's Silver Seed add-on has gear you can find that makes you ridiculously powerful.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are there mods or cheats or something for the Ultima games if I just want to run through them for the plot, like say Planescape Torment? Or is combat in these games already easy? I remember having to grind quite a bit to be strong enough to finish The False Prophet so many years ago (the only Ultima I've ever played).

Ultima 6 has a cheat that involved telling Iolo (I think) "spam" "spam" "spam" "humbug" or something, and then you could spawn items and maybe do something else. Serpent Isle (and maybe regular U7) had built in debug modes from the command line that were pretty powerful. I think on most of the earlier games you're gonna be stuck grinding, though.

e;fb

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

ExMortis posted:

Ultima 6 has a cheat that involved telling Iolo (I think) "spam" "spam" "spam" "humbug" or something, and then you could spawn items and maybe do something else. Serpent Isle (and maybe regular U7) had built in debug modes from the command line that were pretty powerful. I think on most of the earlier games you're gonna be stuck grinding, though.

e;fb

There were also "cheat" rooms in both SI and U7 which contained ridiculously powerful items and plot items. The one in U7 is on the roof of Spark's Father's black smithy behind the chimney.
Edit: Should alo note that this room contains teleporters that can take you out of Trinsic and that if you leave Trinsic this way before doing the copy protection/murder quest that if you die you'll get a game over.
A fun and actually legitimate thing to do in U6 was to cast "animate" on a suit of magical armor (or any item you want really) and then cast clone on it you then "kill" the clones of these items and you can collect and use their bodies as you would the regular item.

teethgrinder posted:

Serpent Isle's Silver Seed add-on has gear you can find that makes you ridiculously powerful.

The flip side is that getting that gear in the Silver Seed is probably the hardest part of both Ultima 7s. It has pretty brutal combat and frustrating puzzles galore

ExMortis posted:

Ultima 6 has a cheat that involved telling Iolo (I think) "spam" "spam" "spam" "humbug" or something, and then you could spawn items and maybe do something else.

You could edit your party to forcible put anyone in the game into your party including lord british with his instant death attack and healing powers.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 12, 2013

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Hnngh fuuuuuck Secret Agent was the poo poo back in the day.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's a decade old.

Oh, I'm dumb, I thought you guys were talking about Portal 2.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

SpRahl posted:

A fun and actually legitimate thing to do in U6 was to cast "animate" on a suit of magical armor (or any item you want really) and then cast clone on it you then "kill" the clones of these items and you can collect and use their bodies as you would the regular item.

Whenever I used to start a new playthrough of Ultima 6 I'd head to the town south of the starting castle, blow up the metal doors in the walls around the perimeter, and set up the cannons next to the patrolling guards. Killing someone with a cannon doesn't trigger "killing" them the same way it does if you do combat or spells. Then, you can run up and down the town, killing first the north guard and then the south, and collect as many halberds, suits of plate, and gold that you want.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Speedball posted:

Oh, I'm dumb, I thought you guys were talking about Portal 2.

I thought that at first also, then did a double take. I blame seeing "classic gem" in peripheral vision.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Magic carpet 2 is loving amazing, I've spent so long trying to get my old copy to work!

Genewars next please, thanks GOG.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Magic Carpet 2 was so much better than the original. Also fairly noteworthy for getting an incredibly lovely review from PC Gamer back in the day, declaring it a barely-playable trainwreck.

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010

Prawned posted:

Magic carpet 2 is loving amazing, I've spent so long trying to get my old copy to work!

Genewars next please, thanks GOG.

Wait, what?

You enjoyed Gene Wars?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Twiler posted:

Wait, what?

You enjoyed Gene Wars?

Gene Wars was amazing, what're you on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Yessss. Another one bites the dust.

quote:

APOGEE GAME WANTED LIST

• The Commander Keen Series (not a huge deal since they are on Steam, but the GOG treatment would be nice)
  • Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
  • Crystal Caves
  • Math Rescue
  • Monster Bash
  • Mystic Towers
  • Paganitzu
  • Secret Agent
  • Wacky Wheels
  • Wolfenstein 3D (Again, not a big deal since it's on Steam)
  • Word Rescue