Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Been thinking about getting a 3DS XL since a friend recently got one and recommended it, will there be any discounts or should I expect to pay 200 bucks or go for a bundle?

Any opinions about Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland or the DS Castlevanias? Does the 3DS have region locking for DS games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

That Gobbo posted:

Been thinking about getting a 3DS XL since a friend recently got one and recommended it, will there be any discounts or should I expect to pay 200 bucks or go for a bundle?

Any opinions about Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland or the DS Castlevanias? Does the 3DS have region locking for DS games?

DS games are not region locked. They're fine on any 3DS. With the exception of some DSi-enchanced games.

All 3DS software is region locked though.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

That Gobbo posted:

It's hit ~$170 on sale on Newegg recently, so there are occasional sales. I got mine this week from Meijer (a midwest grocery store chain) for $200 with a free $50 gift card.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I'd been looking for discounts for the past 2 weeks or so and hadn't really seen any deals. I went to Walmart planning on just getting one at full price and found that they had some of the Mario Kart XL bundles despite the website saying there weren't any. If you're planning on getting Mario Kart and/or going to buy it at full price you should definitely check for that. I've seen other people reporting the same.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Question about digital games - since you can back up your games and saves and transfer them from one SD card to another, can you duplicate saved games and give them to a friend who has the same game on their SD card? Obviously there's some check in place for the ownership of the game itself otherwise people would just be torrenting games to their SD cards but what about the saves?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Travis343 posted:

Question about digital games - since you can back up your games and saves and transfer them from one SD card to another, can you duplicate saved games and give them to a friend who has the same game on their SD card? Obviously there's some check in place for the ownership of the game itself otherwise people would just be torrenting games to their SD cards but what about the saves?

They're encrypted with a key that's unique to each 3DS. I'm sure at some point in the future there will be tools to decrypt and re-encrypt save files but that won't be until the system is hacked open.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Funkmaster General posted:

They're encrypted with a key that's unique to each 3DS. I'm sure at some point in the future there will be tools to decrypt and re-encrypt save files but that won't be until the system is hacked open.

There is a tool for that already. Unfortunately, no one knows how to edit the saves to re-lock to another device, so all you can do is endlessly un-encrypt and re-encrypt your files.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

RichterIX posted:

It's hit ~$170 on sale on Newegg recently, so there are occasional sales. I got mine this week from Meijer (a midwest grocery store chain) for $200 with a free $50 gift card.
You can also pricematch this with Best Buy if you have a Meijer's in the area, too. Unfortunately, since I'm not a dirty midwesterner, it didn't work for me since there isn't a Meijer here for 600 miles or something.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.
:woop: :woop: Flipnote Studio 3D was announced!! :woop: :woop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOrZTQNb4k8&feature=youtu.be

It looked like Japan's getting it at the end of may, so hopefully we won't be too far behind. Flipnote Studio was the only reason I kept my DSi around after getting a 3DS, now I can finally retire the old gal.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Am I misunderstanding something or did Iwata say it's gonna require a paid subscription?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Okay, so I watched it again and I think this is what it's saying - anyone with better Japanese than mine can feel free to correct me:

-Flipnote 3D is free to download; sharing Flipnotes with friends is permanently free
-30-day trial for the global community; once the trial runs out you'll be required to pay a server fee each month to continue using the global servers
-Browsing the global community will only be free during specific times of the day; you'll need a subscription in order to browse whenever you want
-Skilled artists may have their subscription fees waived (no idea how they decide who's skilled and who isn't)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-Skilled artists may have their subscription fees waived (no idea how they decide who's skilled and who isn't)

Likely "people who get lots of views," since the entire point of offering them free subscriptions is that their art brings in other people's subs. I doubt Nintendo cares too much about the quality of the art itself (assuming at least some level of competency) if the person drawing it is in the top 100 views because they draw Zelda/Pokemon crossover pictures.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Awesome news! And I couldn't care less about sharing with the global community, so I'm not bothered by the subscription. 3D and more colours! My badly drawn cocks are going to be terrifying!

Oww My Eye
Jun 22, 2006
Got me a movie
I just got a 3DS XL, and the Home Button seems kinds stiff. It works, but you really have to want to push that button. Is this normal?

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

I've had my 3DS XL for quite a while and the only non regular DS games I have for it are OoT and Mario Kart 7. If there's one 3DS game I should get right now, what is it? I've heard a lot of good things about Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem, but I've never played a game in those series. I've also looked at Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, but haven't really liked Harvest Moon since A Wonderful Life.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Danyull posted:

I've had my 3DS XL for quite a while and the only non regular DS games I have for it are OoT and Mario Kart 7. If there's one 3DS game I should get right now, what is it? I've heard a lot of good things about Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem, but I've never played a game in those series. I've also looked at Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, but haven't really liked Harvest Moon since A Wonderful Life.

I'd say Fire Emblem. If you like Tactics-style strategy games even a little bit there's literal months worth of gameplay there for you. Personally it's going to be very hard to beat for my favorite of 2013. Plus there's a demo on the eshop so give it a shot. As far as never playing a FE game before I think this one is probably the best one to start with. There's really no story ties to the older games aside from some characters you can recruit from older games in the DLC that are optional anyway. The game also has the most robust tutorials I've seen from the series too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Danyull posted:

Kid Icarus was the greatest game of 2012, period.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
If you like dungeon crawlers, Etrian Odyssey 4 is fantastic. It's the first game in the series I've played and I love it. It's like SMT if you replaced the apocalyptic setting and occult overtones with high fantasy and cutesy anime characters.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I think the themes of SMT look cool, but I just can't get over the JRPG thing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It's not really a JRPG. It's got more in common with traditional western RPGs like Wizardry I thought.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Blaine the Train posted:

:woop: :woop: Flipnote Studio 3D was announced!! :woop: :woop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOrZTQNb4k8&feature=youtu.be

It looked like Japan's getting it at the end of may, so hopefully we won't be too far behind. Flipnote Studio was the only reason I kept my DSi around after getting a 3DS, now I can finally retire the old gal.

Yessssss, day one download. I've never had the pleasure of using Flipnote since I never owned a DSi gaming system, so doing animations with this program anywhere I go, along with Inchworm's animation program, will be a blast.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

homeless snail posted:

Kid Icarus was ok but you should be warned most of the fun people had was replayed the game over and over to get better weapons. So if grinding an on rail shooter isn't your thing it might not be GOTY 2012.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

That Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing-alike HomeTown Story is coming overseas, for those who want to get down with the... shop building I guess?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Danyull posted:

I still think the best 3DS game is Mario 3D Land if you don't have that.
Fire Emblem is really good, it's my first FE as well and I'm really liking it.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Len posted:

Kid Icarus was ok but you should be warned most of the fun people had was replayed the game over and over to get better weapons. So if grinding an on rail shooter isn't your thing it might not be GOTY 2012.

I didn't play it over and over again for weapons and I think it's good (not GOTY, but still one of the better 3DS games). Online multiplayer is fun and the single player is great.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Okay, so I watched it again and I think this is what it's saying - anyone with better Japanese than mine can feel free to correct me:

-Flipnote 3D is free to download; sharing Flipnotes with friends is permanently free
-30-day trial for the global community; once the trial runs out you'll be required to pay a server fee each month to continue using the global servers
-Browsing the global community will only be free during specific times of the day; you'll need a subscription in order to browse whenever you want
Will you still be able to export your animations as gifs for free or is that part of their community features?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Len posted:

No, the only reason I replayed it so many times was because I genuinely enjoyed the 15-20 hour long story and wanted to play more of it. Also yeah like MrFlibble said, to gear up for multiplayer. Its really more of a cross between Virtual On and a brawler than a rail shooter.

Pyrovile posted:

Will you still be able to export your animations as gifs for free or is that part of their community features?
Animated or serial gifs, and AVI movies, and it looks like that's free. I wonder if they'll be in 3D though.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Oww My Eye posted:

I just got a 3DS XL, and the Home Button seems kinds stiff. It works, but you really have to want to push that button. Is this normal?
Yes, that's normal and intentional.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I really liked Resident Evil Revelations and it's pretty cheap now. Mario 3D Land was a lot of fun, but not very challenging. Fire Emblem is good. I think the only big title I didn't like was Kid Icarus, and I'm pretty picky on games normally.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Policenaut posted:

That Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing-alike HomeTown Story is coming overseas, for those who want to get down with the... shop building I guess?

Hey cool, and the EU release is by a publisher (Rising Star) who actually ships stuff for once.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I really liked Resident Evil Revelations and it's pretty cheap now. Mario 3D Land was a lot of fun, but not very challenging. Fire Emblem is good. I think the only big title I didn't like was Kid Icarus, and I'm pretty picky on games normally.

The thing to keep in mind about RE:R is that a better version is coming out on consoles shortly.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

homeless snail posted:

It's no Theatrhythm...

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

elf help book posted:

It's no Theatrhythm...
This guy knows what's up. Theatrhythm is the one true GOTY 2012.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You meant Rhythm Thief, clearly.

Of interest to people who want to know how the two big handhelds are holding out, last week in Japan saw a first with Vita beating the 3DS in both hardware and software sales in a combination of a lull in new 3DS games, the Vita's price cut, and a lot of hype for Soul Sacrifice.

I hope this means we will finally get the fierce competition the PSP and DS had for years. This means good games for everyone.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Joramun posted:

This guy knows what's up. Theatrhythm is the one true GOTY 2012.

Only if you have a hard-on for final fantasy music and don't mind replaying the same songs over and over again.

I got tired of that game after a week and I actually really like rhythm games. For example, I just got bit.trip saga the other day and I think it's fantastic (as long as you don't play in 3d to avoid major slowdown).

Kid Icarus is by far the better game if you can get used to the kind of terrible controls.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
English Nintendo Direct Mini for Flipnote 3D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhpsK-nk098

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy
Any word on when/whether they're going to release new colors for the XL? I want to get one, but if they're gonna release a fly purple XL I'll just wait until they do.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

nauggins posted:

Any word on when/whether they're going to release new colors for the XL? I want to get one, but if they're gonna release a fly purple XL I'll just wait until they do.

Pikachu XL is announced tomorrow.

The Flipnote 3D video is already in the eShop. Pretty neat.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

bpc908 posted:

English Nintendo Direct Mini for Flipnote 3D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhpsK-nk098

This sounds pretty great! I can't wait to make 3d animated dicks. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Is the 3DS-XL screen easy to register touches on?

I have a post discount 3DS that I got awhile ago and the screen is much harder to "press" then an android device the same is true for my DSi. I noticed the wiiU screen is actually pretty easy to press.

• Locked thread