Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harley
Sep 2, 2004
I never understood the feverish love for Veronica Mars. The characters were so smug and obnoxious particularly Logan. Then there's the high school kid being the leader of a biker gang. Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
$200,000 an hour. Geez what a crazy pace.

Even if it slows by half they'll still be fully funded before midnight PST.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Related to gaming (but not sure how good it is), Ashens, famous for looking at cheap tat on youtube, wants to do a movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoTZe6mcgic

He wants 50.000 dollars, and his campaign has already gotten 30.000.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Iacen posted:

He wants 50.000 dollars, and his campaign has already gotten 30.000.
It would seem Kickstarters are starting to take that stupid "people trust campaigns that use US dollars more" thing seriously. He even explains that they converted it in the video.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. Bad, I guess, that people are bad at math / incapable of basic currency conversion?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Shalinor posted:

It would seem Kickstarters are starting to take that stupid "people trust campaigns that use US dollars more" thing seriously. He even explains that they converted it in the video.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. Bad, I guess, that people are bad at math / incapable of basic currency conversion?

When it comes right down to it america will always have a bigger market, therefore it will be seen as more likely to succeed.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here but The Adventures of Dash seems like a neat idea that's asking for a lot of cash. It also doesn't help that the gameplay they have to show so far involves...walking and that's about it. Also goddamn is that some ugly art for the lumberjack dream.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Lord Lambeth posted:

When it comes right down to it america will always have a bigger market, therefore it will be seen as more likely to succeed.

Plus, Britons / Europeans are used to dealing with USD buying games online etc whereas Americans seldom have to bother with GBP. Heck, even if proportionally there are similar amounts of nationalist nutters in the US and UK who refuse to use other currencies (there sadly will be people like that) there would in absolute terms be more US nutters so it makes more sense to appease them.

Also the USD is the global reserve currency which people will be subtly influenced by even if they don't realise it.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Shalinor posted:

Given that I'm hooked on Burn Notice and White Collar lately, I guess I'd better put this in the queue too.

... I really thought it was an after-school special kind of show, though.

EDIT: No longer available in Netflix streamnig :stare:

They keep nuking stuff from Instant. It's really annoying.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Days of Wonder has relaunched their Small World 2 Kickstarter, now with clearly defined rewards and goals for a PC/Android/iPad version: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/daysofwonder/small-world-2-the-return

They've already gotten more in a few days than their last campaign did in its whole run, so I guess the relaunch paid off. Remember kids, it's never too late to fix your mistakes.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Plus, Britons / Europeans are used to dealing with USD buying games online etc whereas Americans seldom have to bother with GBP. Heck, even if proportionally there are similar amounts of nationalist nutters in the US and UK who refuse to use other currencies (there sadly will be people like that) there would in absolute terms be more US nutters so it makes more sense to appease them.

Also the USD is the global reserve currency which people will be subtly influenced by even if they don't realise it.

That's a little over the top. Actually a lot. Any game on steam in the EU is in Euroes (or GBP if you're an islander) and my PS3 had the entire store in danish kroner. The only time I see a price tag in dollars is when I want to save loads of money because your currency is worth poo poo buy something that can only be bought from the US.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Boiled Water posted:

That's a little over the top. Actually a lot. Any game on steam in the EU is in Euroes (or GBP if you're an islander) and my PS3 had the entire store in danish kroner. The only time I see a price tag in dollars is when I want to save loads of money because your currency is worth poo poo buy something that can only be bought from the US.

How is it over the top when you admit you do buy things in USD? "Used to" doesn't mean everything is exclusively priced in USD. Also most English language gaming sites and news sites will often price things in dollar amounts. The USD is familiar to us in ways the EUR or GBP simply don't need to be to Americans.

Heck you paid USD to join this site.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I don't know why the site doesn't just auto translate to major currencies.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

the black husserl posted:

I think the game's design is fundamentally broken in that each individual match takes hours and that's after a victor has basically been decided ten minutes in. It's like a glacial-paced chess.

OK, I'll stop posting about Factions after this, but man it just goes to show you how different folks' experiences can be.

My Steam profile says I've put almost 20 hours into Factions, and I think I've played around 50 games. So that's less than a half hour per game, especially considering time spent futzing around in the team-builder or waiting for matchmaking. My usual weekday habit is to just log in and knock out a single game while having a cup of coffee.

Maybe it depends on what time of day you connect and what group of dudes is typically in your matchmaking pool. (Or maybe I just play super-aggressive? Seems to be working out OK though.)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Macaluso posted:

It sorta became that in season 3, but no Veronica Mars was awesome.

First two seasons were amazing. 3rd season tried the CW transition and man, the show became worse. College years always kill good shows.

I'm pumped. Kristen Bell is amazing.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

SupSuper posted:

Days of Wonder has relaunched their Small World 2 Kickstarter, now with clearly defined rewards and goals for a PC/Android/iPad version: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/daysofwonder/small-world-2-the-return

They've already gotten more in a few days than their last campaign did in its whole run, so I guess the relaunch paid off. Remember kids, it's never too late to fix your mistakes.
A friend of mine posted this today and I feel like it's still a bit confusing. It isn't really a sequel so much as an expanded IOS/Steam/Android port of the original.

That small annoyance aside, I'm game if they can get a digital version on Steam/Android. Small World is pretty popular in the board game circles that I play in, so this would be great.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Davincie posted:

I don't know why the site doesn't just auto translate to major currencies.

Because currencies don't have fixed exchange rates, so it sticks with one. This is less of an issue on Indiegogo flexible funding campaigns where the money is paid immediately though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Torment kickstarter added Brian Mitsoda as a $2.75 mil stretch goal, so that's going to happen.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Partly bad at math and currency conversion, but there are some other factors. One, USD is just about everywhere you're marketting to. It may not be the main local currency, but it's usually accepted and more common than any other foreign currency. Another factor is that the USD was the standard for world currency evaluation and exchange for almost 30 years, which is a large reason why the US is rarely exposed to other currencies (whereas everyone else was) and American's don't have the same comfort level with converting to another form.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Basic Chunnel posted:

The Torment kickstarter added Brian Mitsoda as a $2.75 mil stretch goal, so that's going to happen.

Doesn't he have Dead State to do? What ever happened to that?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

GrandpaPants posted:

Still coming along, they're supposed to show off a gameplay video very soon.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

March 6, 2013 posted:

Hey everyone,

We've mostly been updating on the Radio lately, so I just wanted to jump on and mention what we're working on. You may have heard the "combat demo" mentioned here as something we will be showing off. We're wrapping up some improvements to it and doing some playtesting to get it feeling as much like the final game as possible. I'm hoping to have the final video down either by the end of next week and released shortly after that. Everything we will be showing is very obviously a work in progress, but it's pretty exciting that a lot of the basics are all working and functioning to design specs now.

Here's what we're planning on showing (everything here is functional right now):

-The town of Llano, which is one of the first areas you hit in the game.
-Melee and Ranged combat.
-Fighting against zombies and human enemies
-Line of Sight (only see enemies that you or an ally can see)
-Noise (combat generates noise, enemies respond to noise)
-Inventory, switching to new items
-Looting corpses and containers
-Combat/zombie AI
-Lockpicking and bashing doors
-Combat animations
-Transitioning from real time exploration to turn-based combat and back
-Give an idea of what we're working on for future combat build updates.

Combat plays out pretty much how we promised right now - it's a mix of Fallout and X-Com. Every day has been bringing huge improvements, which is in no small part due to the skills of our programmers. I'm really excited about showing it off, I just want it to be as polished as we can get it in the next few days. Based on the team's feedback, we've already got some great ideas on how to further improve it in future builds. As a designer, you always want to hold onto something until it's 100% just right, but at some point you have to get over that feeling of incompleteness and show your work.

Sorry about the wait! It is coming...

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

GrandpaPants posted:

I think the plan was to only ramp up production on Dead State when the Age of Decadence team finished work on their game, so it might not conflict with its schedule at all.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Shalinor posted:

I don't know if this is still an issue since I haven't been pledging for many video games lately, but I noticed a tendency for pledge levels that would have been 20 dollars in a dollar-based KS being 20 pounds in a pound-based kickstarter; since I can do basic currency conversion, I knew that ones using pounds would end up costing me a lot more. It could just be something from the first few pound-based ones I looked at, though, but it's certainly a reason I might be less likely to pledge.

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

Johnny Law posted:

OK, I'll stop posting about Factions after this, but man it just goes to show you how different folks' experiences can be.

My Steam profile says I've put almost 20 hours into Factions, and I think I've played around 50 games. So that's less than a half hour per game, especially considering time spent futzing around in the team-builder or waiting for matchmaking. My usual weekday habit is to just log in and knock out a single game while having a cup of coffee.

Maybe it depends on what time of day you connect and what group of dudes is typically in your matchmaking pool. (Or maybe I just play super-aggressive? Seems to be working out OK though.)

That tallies with my experience, I haven't played it as much as you have, as I've been way too busy since it came out, but it's pretty much become my "Hey, I have 20 mins to kill" game of choice. I generally find my matches aren't a sure thing until pretty close to the end too (unless someone is way better/worse than me), I've felt like I've completely mucked things up halfway through a match and managed to pull it back with some well placed archers or sneaky maneuvering. Hell I've survived 3 or 4-on-1 pillages before now.

Interesting with Mitsoda coming on board Torment, his writing is pretty much entirely responsible for my pledging to Dead State

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Megazver posted:

This isn't a game, but it's an interesting new development in "cult genres/franchises get revived by crowdfunding" - Veronica Mars the Movie for 2 mil:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559914737/the-veronica-mars-movie-project

I was a fan of the first two seasons and would like to see more of the character, but the part that's dampening my enthusiasm is that this will still be a Warner Bros production. They haven't managed to buy out the Veronica Mars IP. This is basically a studio project where the studio isn't interested in doing any of the funding.

It's basically the kid executive from the Torment kickstater video getting his way.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Johnny Law posted:

Despite complaining about it I'm still playing this thing. Add me on steam and maybe we can get in a few games? steamcommunity.com/id/wezlar !

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Megazver posted:

This isn't a game, but it's an interesting new development in "cult genres/franchises get revived by crowdfunding" - Veronica Mars the Movie for 2 mil:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559914737/the-veronica-mars-movie-project

You know, I've been wondering when the movie side of Kickstarter would get its Double Fine Adventure. Well, I'm pretty sure that this is going to be it.

For reference, the next highest grossing movie Kickstarter pulled down $800k. So, yeah.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Dark One posted:

It's basically the kid executive from the Torment kickstater video getting his way.

Except not because the publisher/developer model is a completely different business model than the TV creator/studio model also the kid executive in the Torment video is an exaggerated strawman created by an unfunny dude to express his rage against The MachineTM.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

harley posted:

Then there's the high school kid being the leader of a biker gang. Please.

Tunnel snakes rule.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Occupation posted:

Except not because the publisher/developer model is a completely different business model than the TV creator/studio model also the kid executive in the Torment video is an exaggerated strawman created by an unfunny dude to express his rage against The MachineTM.

Yes, the main difference being that film and television studios mobilize a lot more time and resources towards the protection of their IP. Warner didn't think it was worth moving on Veronica Mars, but with pre-sales basically covering the negative cost, it makes it more lucrative for them. Since they still own the IP, there is no reason for them to have any kind of alternate arrangement in terms of profit-sharing, unless it's from the kindness of their hearts.

It bears a lot of similarities to the scenario that Feargus Urquhart of Obsidian outlined when a publisher approached them to set up a publishing deal, with the only difference that development costs would be covered by a Kickstarter that traded on their name and brand recognition.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes, the main difference being that film and television studios mobilize a lot more time and resources towards the protection of their IP. Warner didn't think it was worth moving on Veronica Mars, but with pre-sales basically covering the negative cost, it makes it more lucrative for them. Since they still own the IP, there is no reason for them to have any kind of alternate arrangement in terms of profit-sharing, unless it's from the kindness of their hearts.

To be fair though it was pretty cool and generally out-of-the-norm for the studio to even let Rob Thomas do this, especially when so many studios are, as you say, so fiercely protective of IPs they don't use (see also: Disney Company, The). To me I'm not really bothered by the WB doing this since it was so unusually nice of them to let Rob do this in the first place.

And I mean WB is covering licensing, overseas, merchandizing and marketing fees. So to get some sort of return on their investment doesn't seem so greedy of them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That's certainly true. What I would be worried about in the case of this Kickstarter is that, for example with PC/mobile game Kickstarters the question of distribution and its costs is pretty much asked-and-answered and baked into the goals. Whereas with this, taking it from Kickstarter to the... let's say "less agile" arms of the studio system, there's a good chance that even with a wildly successful funding, it might still flop.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SupSuper posted:

I loved Ticket to Ride to bits so this was interesting, but the pitch never actually told me what the game was actually about. All I understood was distributing what looked like cards on zones in a map, and rolling dice.

Orv
May 4, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I loved Ticket to Ride to bits so this was interesting, but the pitch never actually told me what the game was actually about. All I understood was distributing what looked like cards on zones in a map, and rolling dice.

Learn ye.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Occupation posted:

My understanding is that it was less a strawman and more a thing that actually literally happened.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I can't tell if this guy is intentionally obtuse or if he really does think people need to expose themselves to the Internet at all costs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfkS9YS_T0k

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Mordaedil posted:

I can't tell if this guy is intentionally obtuse or if he really does think people need to expose themselves to the Internet at all costs.

Youtube Words posted:

This is simply a call for Anita to face her critics--not play the victim, not hide behind a wall of censorship, not act like her side of the debate doesn't have equivalently nasty people on it, etc.

BUY MY BOOK!!!! BUY MY BOOK!!! Check out my content!!!!

I think it's pretty clear that whether he cares about the issue or not, he sees a pretty handy marketing opportunity to his core demographic, considering how many vitriolic man children gamers Anita has been pulling out the woodwork since day one.

edit: Also the comments are painful, like more than usual for Youtube painful. Those god drat women, loving ingrates! How dare they. :rolleyes:

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 14, 2013

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I only watched about 30 seconds of that video, but in that 30 seconds he claimed that the only thing he took issue with was that she has disabled comments and ratings on her video. That must've been a really big issue for him to spend another eight and a half minutes on it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Her critics didn't seem to have much to say the first time around other than 'get raped you ugly loving whore'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's Fantasy Risk, put bluntly. :v: Really fun.