Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Having played it for a few hours, it's the what, fourth prequel in this series, and it's the exact same loving thing. You could mad-lib your way through the God of War 3 thread and you'd have a perfectly acceptable GOW: A thread.

That's what I was figuring. Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I honestly think Kratos's story is over. There are other mythologies out there and they should create a new character to play as. Maybe one who isn't a piece of garbage. There's anti-hero and then there's Kratos, who is pretty much a full-on villain.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
If it's that stale, a new aesthetic won't save it. They should stop making those games period.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

ImpAtom posted:

That's what I was figuring. Ah well.

There's big monsters and you hit their weakpoint and then you QTE your way to their eye and hurt them. What up.

I bet if you loved God of War 3 and just wanted more of the same, this is that, but at the same time it's so specific a niche and type of title that it feels really loving stale. I hope they're done with this loving series.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Dan Didio posted:

I hope they're done with this loving series.

What are the chances when they decide that Greek/Roman Gods/Goddesses are all stale that Kratos moves on to Norse Mythology? I mean Rome did fall in history, so now Kratos would be all pissy that nobody remembers the old gods and now they worship new ones. So he starts his vendetta with Odin or whoever and beats the living poo poo out of a wild boar and a tree.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I think the window for that idea has passed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

There's big monsters and you hit their weakpoint and then you QTE your way to their eye and hurt them. What up.

I bet if you loved God of War 3 and just wanted more of the same, this is that, but at the same time it's so specific a niche and type of title that it feels really loving stale. I hope they're done with this loving series.

I was sort of hoping it would be a AC:B style where the multiplayer went hand-in-hand with a really polished version of the usual but I guess not.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I have nothing against that genre, but they need to move on with a different protagonist/engine/setting/whatever.

This is like the 6th or 7th go around of square square triangle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Coming in 2015: Ninja Theory presents: GoW.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

I honestly think Kratos's story is over. There are other mythologies out there and they should create a new character to play as. Maybe one who isn't a piece of garbage. There's anti-hero and then there's Kratos, who is pretty much a full-on villain.

There's no way that they'll make a God of War game without Kratos. Kratos is Sony's most popular character by alot. They aren't going to make a God of War game without him. His popularity is the reason they keep making God of War games in the first place.

Aphrodite posted:

Coming in 2015: Ninja Theory presents: GoW.

Ninja Theory makes way more interesting fight mechanics than God of War has ever had, and I say that as someone who likes god of War.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

We already had Ninja Theory's God of War and it sucked.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dan Didio posted:

I think the window for that idea has passed.

Exactly. Garshasp tried just this and I think that game's problems ran deep. Regardless of its various low budget shortcomings, I think it proved that just setting God of War in a different time and place with a new mythology behind it is still fundamentally a bad idea. It's the wrong game to make.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

axleblaze posted:

There's no way that they'll make a God of War game without Kratos. Kratos is Sony's most popular character by alot. They aren't going to make a God of War game without him. His popularity is the reason they keep making God of War games in the first place.

Just make it be a different Kratos, sort of like how it works for Zelda.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Why'd you have to bring another exhausted franchise into this

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Eh, for what it's worth, I think the new God of War is excellent, but then again I'm just now starting to check out the series and I could definitely understand the burnout by now.

Also I'm really starting to tire of the deluge of tits.

Also, why is Kratos such a popular character? He's pretty unsympathetic and unlikeable, and this is in a series that isn't really known for stellar writing to boot.

In fact, can someone explain to me why the original two are regarded as like the best games that ever happened to the PS2? I remember picking up the original game upon reading stuff like that only to be severely disappointed, only now revisiting the series with the proper mindset to enjoy it.

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 15, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Feenix posted:

Thank god I rented it. This game is just unengaging as gently caress. Even worse than 3. By a lot. And that's saying a ton.

Wait, what.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cyra posted:

Eh, for what it's worth, I think the new God of War is excellent, but then again I'm just now starting to check out the series and I could definitely understand the burnout by now.

Also I'm really starting to tire of the deluge of tits.

Also, why is Kratos such a popular character? He's pretty unsympathetic and unlikeable, and this is in a series that isn't really known for stellar writing to boot.

In fact, can someone explain to me why the original two are regarded as like the best games that ever happened to the PS2? I remember picking up the original game upon reading stuff like that only to be severely disappointed, only now revisiting the series with the proper mindset to enjoy it.

They have extremely good setpiece design, visual quality and general presentation, especially for the time when they came out. They were also very easy to play. They're designed to be like 6-8 hour violencesplosions punctuated by increasingly impressive setpieces.

I kinda suspect that is the new game's problem. GoW3 set the setpiece bar pretty high and going backwards hurts it.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

ImpAtom posted:

They have extremely good setpiece design, visual quality and general presentation, especially for the time when they came out. They were also very easy to play. They're designed to be like 6-8 hour violencesplosions punctuated by increasingly impressive setpieces.

I kinda suspect that is the new game's problem. GoW3 set the setpiece bar pretty high and going backwards hurts it.
I remember being pretty blown away by the first 5 minutes of GoW 3 when I saw my friend play it, and that was my reaction upon playing the Ascension demo as well, which was what finally prompted me to check out all the games. I agree they're excellently designed and convey a great sense of scope, but the gameplay is so simplistic and unchanging that I can understand why 6 games later, people are over it. Ascension is definitely just a prettier version of the same stuff.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Krad posted:

Wait, what.

3 was bad aside from "GRAPHIX!!!" and "SPECTACLE!"

Kratos transcends unlikable rear end in a top hat to downright worse-than-a-thousand-Hitlers, the gameplay is unevolved from the PS2 era, and it just dragged.

This one was worse

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Krad posted:

Feenix posted:

Thank god I rented it. This game is just unengaging as gently caress. Even worse than 3. By a lot. And that's saying a ton.

Wait, what.

I don't get why people are so upset by God of War III either, there's nothing that it does worse than the previous games, besides the ending. On the whole, it's stunningly beautiful, has some of the best boss battles in the series, and even has a set of very good puzzles.

I can understand if Ascension just feels stale, since that's how the PSP games feel to me. In those games, the plot's spread very thin, and there's nothing really going on besides Kratos running around, moving statues and having his actions narrated under the pretence that stuff is actually happening. Those games also have a tiny number of bosses, a problem the first game had as well, so you're never really forced to master the combat.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Feenix posted:

3 was bad aside from "GRAPHIX!!!" and "SPECTACLE!"

Kratos transcends unlikable rear end in a top hat to downright worse-than-a-thousand-Hitlers, the gameplay is unevolved from the PS2 era, and it just dragged.

This one was worse
I like that inadvertently freeing humanity from slavery though losing a few million "souls" from an age before time is even recorded, is worse than Hitler.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

I really enjoyed the demo to God Of War Ascension, it seemed to be very fun but then again I've rarely played any God Of War games so I understand that people are getting tired of the same formula over the last 6 years or so. The series needs to take both a long break and a revision of what happens if it is to keep the interest of its fans.

That being said, at some point I will sit down and enjoy all 6 games on one platform, will take my time with it. :)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Actual mechanics wise, GoW3 is the best in the series, but the pacing was pretty terrible. There's just a really long stretch that doesn't have anything interesting happen. It's like they put all the put there for pacing, less over the top fights in the same section of the game and it just drags and then has you fight the least interesting boss in GoW history, and then it goes on a bit longer. The plot was also abysmal. Like, people say that the other God of Wars have bad plot but honestly I think they are pretty good for what they are (GoW1 especially) but GoW3 just drops the ball story wise in GoW3 it's ridiculous.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

That loving Sned posted:

Wait, what.

I don't get why people are so upset by God of War III either, there's nothing that it does worse than the previous games, besides the ending. On the whole, it's stunningly beautiful, has some of the best boss battles in the series, and even has a set of very good puzzles.

I can understand if Ascension just feels stale, since that's how the PSP games feel to me. In those games, the plot's spread very thin, and there's nothing really going on besides Kratos running around, moving statues and having his actions narrated under the pretence that stuff is actually happening. Those games also have a tiny number of bosses, a problem the first game had as well, so you're never really forced to master the combat.

It had the disadvantage of coming after God of War 2 which did everything that the series needed and then God of War 3 came and it was barely different.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So, with the announcement of the Ps4, I've decided to finally go buy a Ps3.

Waiting for it to get here, and I just realized my slim won't be backwards compatible.

My only real question of this is, is there any other way to play the Ace Combat games on a Ps4? I've got 4/5/Zero just sitting around, and I've been wanting to play them for awhile now. Can I just rebuy copies on PSN that work, buy an HD collection of them for Ps3, etc? Or did this series somehow get left behind.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Just started Infamous 2 this week and am loving it so far. I finished the first Infamous game but it didnt really grip me. Hoping the good vibes I'm getting from the second one last.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Rookersh posted:

My only real question of this is, is there any other way to play the Ace Combat games on a Ps4? I've got 4/5/Zero just sitting around, and I've been wanting to play them for awhile now. Can I just rebuy copies on PSN that work, buy an HD collection of them for Ps3, etc? Or did this series somehow get left behind.

I assume you mean PS3?

None of those Ace Combat games are up on the PSN for purchase. If you want to play them now either emulate them via PCSX2 although the wiki says 4 and 0 have big issues but you might have better luck or you can pick up a used PS2 for a pittance. Supposedly Kazutoki Kono was asking for input about an Ace Combat HD collection on his facebook but who knows what happened with that.

No one really knows how PS4 backwards compatibility will turn out other than it'll probably use streaming.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Jjaarreett posted:

I assume you mean PS3?

None of those Ace Combat games are up on the PSN for purchase. If you want to play them now either emulate them via PCSX2 although the wiki says 4 and 0 have big issues but you might have better luck or you can pick up a used PS2 for a pittance. Supposedly Kazutoki Kono was asking for input about an Ace Combat HD collection on his facebook but who knows what happened with that.

No one really knows how PS4 backwards compatibility will turn out other than it'll probably use streaming.

Yeah to cover this, we don't know if all of the previous library of PS1, PS2 and PS3 games will be up for streaming (very unlikely) It'll likely be whatever they decide to put up. And who knows how well it'll work.

You really are best off picking up a cheap PS2 slim.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah to cover this, we don't know if all of the previous library of PS1, PS2 and PS3 games will be up for streaming (very unlikely) It'll likely be whatever they decide to put up. And who knows how well it'll work.

You really are best off picking up a cheap PS2 slim.

I don't like the slims myself because of the inherent design flaw with the ribbon placement that scratches the gently caress out of discs when jostled out of place.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

revolther posted:

I like that inadvertently freeing humanity from slavery though losing a few million "souls" from an age before time is even recorded, is worse than Hitler.

What he did at the end, and how he generally behaved are 2 different things. The guy is just a gigantic rear end in a top hat and not in that "rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold" type of way.

He's written like someone that the *actual* good guy would curb stomp in the 3rd act of some other game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

What he did at the end, and how he generally behaved are 2 different things. The guy is just a gigantic rear end in a top hat and not in that "rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold" type of way.

He's written like someone that the *actual* good guy would curb stomp in the 3rd act of some other game.

See, I like this fact which is all the more reason it pissed me off when they kind of pulled back at the last minute in 3 and desperately tried to make Kratos to be a good guy. It's not like they did a complete 180 either. For most of the game you're destroying the whole world but at the last minute they pull a bunch of stupid bullshit. I also didn't dislike the stuff with Pandora in concept but they also handled that really badly.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

axleblaze posted:

See, I like this fact which is all the more reason it pissed me off when they kind of pulled back at the last minute in 3 and desperately tried to make Kratos to be a good guy. It's not like they did a complete 180 either. For most of the game you're destroying the whole world but at the last minute they pull a bunch of stupid bullshit. I also didn't dislike the stuff with Pandora in concept but they also handled that really badly.

Yeah, I was actually kinda okay with playing Kratos as a horrible, terrible person, because it fit in with the setting. Greek stories are full of terrible acts by prideful gods. I mean, Zeus rapes and impregnates a whole TON of young women, most of whom have offspring who get ignored or thrown into a giant dungeon or some such, so it makes sense that the only possible force that could go against them is an equally terrible force of nature like Kratos. And his backstory gives him plenty of reason to be the way he is, so it let me feel comfortable playing this terrible person because the game at least acknowledged that he was and just let me run with it.

Then in 3 they start giving him heroic attributes and make him a secretly kind defending of virtue who saves all of mankind or whatever and it just left me with a bad taste. No, Kratos doesn't get to be the hero after all this. That made me more uncomfortable than anything. Well, except for killing that one woman to open a door, and the ensuing trophy. Man, GoW 3 just missed the point so bad.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

Feenix posted:

It just feels like monotony. Do this. Now do this. Now do this. No no, don't worry... no need to think, we're going to literally tell you every single thing you need to do and show you how to do it so that you can do it! All you have to do is just do it. Ok? Do it. Do it. Do it.

Isn't this a problem with newer games in general? What you have described on your previous post and on this one sounds like Call of Duty: God of War edition. And yet...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Crappy Jack posted:

Then in 3 they start giving him heroic attributes and make him a secretly kind defending of virtue who saves all of mankind or whatever and it just left me with a bad taste. No, Kratos doesn't get to be the hero after all this. That made me more uncomfortable than anything. Well, except for killing that one woman to open a door, and the ensuing trophy. Man, GoW 3 just missed the point so bad.

They didn't do this at all though. Kratos only did what he did to spite Athena, it just happened to also benefit mankind. Not really having anything more to live for also probably played a part.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder what market research led them to the conclusion that the God of War franchise absolutely had to have Kratos as the protagonist forever? In this thread and elsewhere we were all excitedly speculating on who the next God of War would be. I thought a servant of Quetzalcoatl or someone would be awesome.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

They didn't do this at all though. Kratos only did what he did to spite Athena, it just happened to also benefit mankind. Not really having anything more to live for also probably played a part.

(God of War 3 spoilers) It's not really just the him releasing hope thing. It's more the "when you opened Pandora's Box all the Gods became evil and you had to kill them" thing and the "Using the power of hope (that was inside you the whole time) to defeat Zeus" thing. Like I still don't' get why they made it so the Gods were actually full of the evils from Pandora's box because it explains nothing and actively goes against alot. Him redeeming mankind through spite is fine. Him having the power of hope within him is lame as gently caress though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder what market research led them to the conclusion that the God of War franchise absolutely had to have Kratos as the protagonist forever? In this thread and elsewhere we were all excitedly speculating on who the next God of War would be. I thought a servant of Quetzalcoatl or someone would be awesome.

Well there's some cryptic hints in Ascension which some are interpreting as indicative of Mithra(s) being somehow involved in the future or the series.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Question: Is the new Tomb Raider similar to Uncharted? I've been wanting to play Uncharted but I'm on Xbox though I really liked Tomb Raider 2013.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's fairly similar. They're both cut from the same cloth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

axleblaze posted:

(God of War 3 spoilers) It's not really just the him releasing hope thing. It's more the "when you opened Pandora's Box all the Gods became evil and you had to kill them" thing and the "Using the power of hope (that was inside you the whole time) to defeat Zeus" thing. Like I still don't' get why they made it so the Gods were actually full of the evils from Pandora's box because it explains nothing and actively goes against alot. Him redeeming mankind through spite is fine. Him having the power of hope within him is lame as gently caress though.

They didn't just make that up, in the original Greek legend Elpis, the personification of hope was actually left in the box. (although in the original legend it wasn't a box at all, it was a jar and someone mistranslated :eng101:)

• Locked thread