Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

Chairchucker posted:

I only watched about 30 seconds of that video, but in that 30 seconds he claimed that the only thing he took issue with was that she has disabled comments and ratings on her video. That must've been a really big issue for him to spend another eight and a half minutes on it.

Yep, pretty much, though the reactions some people had to his twitter post (which really didn't insult her at all) were hilarious to read through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Chairchucker posted:

My understanding is that it was less a strawman and more a thing that actually literally happened.
Yeah, Fargo said that everything in the video was stuff publishing reps actually said/did, including the bugging him about Farmville stuff.

Roman fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 14, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SupSuper posted:

It's Fantasy Risk, put bluntly. :v: Really fun.

Looks great, loving sold. Thanks!

Kickstarter is quickly turning into the new Steam buying obsession.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Maluco Marinero posted:

I think it's pretty clear that whether he cares about the issue or not, he sees a pretty handy marketing opportunity to his core demographic, considering how many vitriolic man children gamers Anita has been pulling out the woodwork since day one.

edit: Also the comments are painful, like more than usual for Youtube painful. Those god drat women, loving ingrates! How dare they. :rolleyes:

I was like "this guy can't be real" because of how he was talking, and then I noticed it was the AmazingAthiest and it all made sense. Jesus.

How do people not understand that she disabled comments because of hateful idiots and not because of any kind of meaningful discussion or opinions you'd get in the comments section? The video is loaded with really good points about how women are portrayed in video games, the Star Fox Adventures thing is just unbelievable.

edit: Any idea when part 2 is coming out by the way?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Chairchucker posted:

I only watched about 30 seconds of that video, but in that 30 seconds he claimed that the only thing he took issue with was that she has disabled comments and ratings on her video. That must've been a really big issue for him to spend another eight and a half minutes on it.

It's TheAmazingAthiest, he's pretty much Reddit personified.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Yodzilla posted:

It's TheAmazingAthiest, he's pretty much Reddit personified.

Pretty much.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/TheAmazingAtheist posted:

I think we should give the guy who raped you a medal. I hope you loving drown in rape semen, you ugly, mean-spirited cow.
—Everything you need to know about this guy in a nutshell

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Judging from quotes of his that appear on that Wiki, the video was actually pretty tame. Still stupid, of course.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Just backed this little game:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1216936499/back-to-bed-0

Its a navigation puzzle game based on Escher architecture, and looks really great. They're only asking for $5 for the full game and have less than 2 days to get the last little bit of money. Personally I'm really hoping they get to the Android stretch goal.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Looks like Jeremy Soule is getting in on the action: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/499808045/from-the-composer-of-skyrim-soule-symphony-no-1

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

I was going to have a problem with this (even though I love Mr. Soule's work) until I saw that the goal was only for $10,000 which actually ain't bad at all for recording a whole symphony.

It's already at $18,000 anyway.

I don't think I'm going to pledge, I'll just get the MP3s through AmazonMP3 or something.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kenshin posted:

I was going to have a problem with this (even though I love Mr. Soule's work) until I saw that the goal was only for $10,000 which actually ain't bad at all for recording a whole symphony.

It's already at $18,000 anyway.

I don't think I'm going to pledge, I'll just get the MP3s through AmazonMP3 or something.

He doesn't believe in *fingerquotes* MP3s.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Megazver posted:

Well, whatever digital method is available I guess.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

He's definitely going to be able to afford Symphony No. 2 as well.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Dead State has just put up a video that shows off some scavenging and combat.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Al Baron posted:

Looks good. :)

So far the only project I have backed that I am not really looking forward too anymore is DFA, because their art style and story (what we know of it so far) do not really work for me. Lesson learned; do not back a project on promises alone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megazver posted:

Shame for him that NCSoft released the Guild Wars OST in digital format, then.

faxmaster
Nov 1, 2004

I can see all of the colors.
Looks like the Telepath Tactics Kickstarter has relaunched with a smaller goal and is doing pretty well. He has a demo up and its actually quite a lot of fun; solid turn based stuff with an awesome mechanic where you can push enemies around the map. I was sold when I had one of my units throw an archer off a tower with her mind.

The only thing I worry about is the art. The unit sprites are decent, but the maps have a dull, blocky feel, and that title screen art is really not selling this game well. At all. I hope he uses his money to hire a good art director.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Al Baron posted:

It looks pretty good. They could do with some fog of war though, those zombies just popping in as you see them looks slightly ridiculous.

EDIT: Oh, and while I'm nitpicking, decibels do not work like that.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 15, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2112639455/mages-initiation-a-classic-sierra-style-adventure/posts/428693

Mage's Initiation has a demo available and I'm glad they offered one. The control scheme is absolute poo poo. I cancelled my pledge.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Megazver posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2112639455/mages-initiation-a-classic-sierra-style-adventure/posts/428693

Mage's Initiation has a demo available and I'm glad they offered one. The control scheme is absolute poo poo. I cancelled my pledge.

Uh...unless I'm missing something glaring here, the controls are virtually identical to the old Sierra adventure/RPGs. And it actually does one better by having several alternate interaction styles...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Great Rumbler posted:

Uh...unless I'm missing something glaring here, the controls are virtually identical to the old Sierra adventure/RPGs. And it actually does one better by having several alternate interaction styles...

The old Sierra adventure UI is pretty rubbish. There's a reason that even these dudes don't have PUSH, PULL, OPEN or CLOSE as separate verbs.

Right now, you need three clicks to examine something. You need five to use an item. If they just put USE/TALK on left button and EXAMINE on the right and had a sliding inventory/magic panel, like the Wadjet Eye games, they could have the exact same gameplay with way, way less UI fumbling downtime.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 15, 2013

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Have you tried the alternate interaction schemes? There's four in total [including the old Sierra style system, which seems to be default].

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Great Rumbler posted:

Have you tried the alternate interaction schemes? There's four in total [including the old Sierra style system, which seems to be default].

Yes. I have.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Here's a new one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yachtclubgames/shovel-knight

My first reaction was 'yet another game cashing in on 8-bit nostalgia', but the gameplay actually looks pretty fun and I like the design of the main character.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Orzo posted:

Here's a new one:

My first reaction was 'yet another game cashing in on 8-bit nostalgia', but the gameplay actually looks pretty fun and I like the design of the main character.
That looks really great! I just wish they weren't sticking with the old 'damsel in distress' trope *yet again* since this game's comedic style lends itself to a much funnier objective.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Orzo posted:

Here's a new one:

It has the NES Duck Tail's bouncing pogo thing as a movement/combat mechanic, that's pretty cool to see on a modern platformer.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."

Orzo posted:

Here's a new one:

Looks cool and can't argue with $10 for the game.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Manyorcas posted:

It has the NES Duck Tail's bouncing pogo thing as a movement/combat mechanic, that's pretty cool to see on a modern platformer.
Noticed that too. This looks like Duck Tails + Mega Man + Castlevania. I'm totally ok with that.

(Duck Tales was a fantastic game, if anyone missed it, and the pogo-stick / hockey-stick-swing mechanics made for some really unique sequences)

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
I just loved the butt-wiggling.

If they thought of that too, I'll pledge.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Our first crowd funding venture, the 99 Spirits IndieGoGo campaign, is ending in 12 hours. Currently it's at 158%, we had equal amounts of hopes and fears on how well it'll do when we started. Thanks for the help on making it a success.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Megazver posted:

I don't know what you were expecting but it's good you cancelled because this game was explicitly sold as a Sierra styled adventure game and you weren't going to get what you wanted.

If you didn't like the controls in their remake of KQ3, you won't like this. I think offering both a Lucasarts AND a Sierra style control scheme is awesome.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

the black husserl posted:

I don't know what you were expecting but it's good you cancelled because this game was explicitly sold as a Sierra styled adventure game and you weren't going to get what you wanted.

If you didn't like the controls in their remake of KQ3, you won't like this. I think offering both a Lucasarts AND a Sierra style control scheme is awesome.

That's kind of my thinking on it, too. Mage's Initiation is being tailored to a very specific group [that is, people who loved the Quest for Glory series], so having that particular control isn't some mistake that needs to be corrected or a bug that will be ironed out before release. If that's not something you like, and if you feel very strongly about it, then you shouldn't continue to support the game, simple as that. In the end, it's your money.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm not impressed with Mage's Initiation either. The combat system was terrible, it wouldn't let me quit out of the fighting tutorial, to the point of trapping alt-f4, and it kicked into an obnoxious sound loop when I alt-tabbed away.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
It looked from the previews like the combat was closer to QG5 style, which is the worst choice they could have made.

QG2 or QG1EGA 4 lyfe. :qfg:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bieeardo posted:

Yeah, I'm not impressed with Mage's Initiation either. The combat system was terrible, it wouldn't let me quit out of the fighting tutorial, to the point of trapping alt-f4, and it kicked into an obnoxious sound loop when I alt-tabbed away.

Are you complaining that an early alpha has bugs?

quote:

Important Note: As of March 2013, this demo is still in an early alpha stage of the game’s development. It is feature-incomplete and there are bound to be some bugs. The demo does not yet represent the final product.

Honestly I think the most iffy thing about that Kickstarter is how they're planning on providing those physical rewards, but drat was that QFG2 remake good.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

GrandpaPants posted:

Don't you understand that good games are developed entirely by running a script that transforms volumes of fantastical concept art into a fully featured game?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Orzo posted:

Don't you understand that good games come exclusively by running a script that transforms volumes of fantastical concept art into a fully featured game?

Hmmm... I think I just found a million dollar kickstarter pitch.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Intentionally defeating the Windows process kill command is a bug? Designing a really lovely combat system is a bug? These are not accidents, kids.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Kenshin posted:

That looks really great! I just wish they weren't sticking with the old 'damsel in distress' trope *yet again* since this game's comedic style lends itself to a much funnier objective.

Uh, I didn't see anything in the pitch about a damsel. (I strongly suspect that the shovel knight's "beloved" will be played for a joke of some sort).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

whateverfor posted:

Uh, I didn't see anything in the pitch about a damsel. (I strongly suspect that the shovel knight's "beloved" will be played for a joke of some sort).

You may well be correct, and I hope it is!