Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So that's where Wendy's gets their frosties from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Auto stores don't like it when you dump milkshake in their oil reclamation tanks, so where do you take that stuff, other than your nearest lovely burger chain?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

EightBit posted:

Auto stores don't like it when you dump milkshake in their oil reclamation tanks, so where do you take that stuff, other than your nearest lovely burger chain?

Heh now there's an idea. Just need some empty milkshake cups. Leave them around in store as unfinished drinks. bonus points if you take one to the counter and complain it tastes funny.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

BrumDart posted:

Anyone thirsty?

My milkshake brings all the cars to the (junk)yard?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EightBit posted:

Our junkyard doesn't care if it has water in it, as long as it has some oil in it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

PhotoKirk posted:

My milkshake brings all the cars to the (junk)yard?

My cars bring all the milkshake to the junkyard

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

My cars bring all the milkshake to the junkyard

My cars are better than yours.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Your parts? I could pull them. But I'd have to charge.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I didn't stop to take a photo because I was pressed for time but tonight I did a coworker a favor and changed out the battery of her 2001 PT Cruiser. The negative battery terminal had (no joke) about 1.5 inches of white/green foamy build up on it. When I told her that she said "the AAA guy that jump started me the other day told me the battery looked okay". This was the OEM battery by the way.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

8th-samurai posted:

I didn't stop to take a photo because I was pressed for time but tonight I did a coworker a favor and changed out the battery of her 2001 PT Cruiser. The negative battery terminal had (no joke) about 1.5 inches of white/green foamy build up on it. When I told her that she said "the AAA guy that jump started me the other day told me the battery looked okay". This was the OEM battery by the way.

Those have jump posts, though; it's entirely possible he never saw the battery proper and just said that to get her off his back. Not that I condone it, mind you, just saying.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Oh I am sure that he never even looked, or maybe doesn't even know where the actual battery is located. Spoiler alert: it's wedged underneath the comedy large airbox.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

8th-samurai posted:

Jesus H, how well did the car turn over with a 12 year old battery? Even Optimas always poo poo out on me after a few years, conveniently months after the warranty window. :argh:

8th-samurai posted:

Oh I am sure that he never even looked, or maybe doesn't even know where the actual battery is located. Spoiler alert: it's wedged underneath the comedy large airbox.

I seem to recall that most PT Cruisers came with a battery cover of some kind, so that explains why he probably didn't even look at it.

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 15, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cenodoxus posted:

Jesus H, how well did the car turn over with a 12 year old battery? Even Optimas always poo poo out on me after a few years, conveniently months after the warranty window. :argh:

I'm still on the original battery in my car.. which has a build date of July 2005. Cranks just fine. :iiam:

Though up until this car, I've never gotten over 4 1/2 years out of a battery. I guess AC Delco builds a hell of a battery.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

I guess AC Delco builds a hell of a battery.

They used to. I've lost 3 AC delco pros in the last year.

Fortunately they are under an exchange warranty still (no pro rate) and I was told that the last pair I got supposedly no longer had the problem.

Not sure who makes them for Delco, but it's been a crappy 2 years or so according to my local NAPA (and the pile of newish looking Delcos on the return rack behind the counter).

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Though up until this car, I've never gotten over 4 1/2 years out of a battery. I guess AC Delco builds a hell of a battery.

I'm feeling like I've just had amazing battery luck or something because my 2004 Jetta was still on the original battery at 230,000km when I sold it last summer, and my '94 Nissan pickup only had the one until the gearbox exploded 340,000km in...weird.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I picked up a red top gel cell 1000 CCA battery for my Jetta about a year ago, I love the damned thing.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 15, 2013

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

I'm still on the original battery in my car.. which has a build date of July 2005. Cranks just fine. :iiam:

The Delco in my car finally gave up the ghost recently, that one was vintage 2004. I replaced it with a Diehard gold. Hopefully that'll last me a few years.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I had an Interstate green-top battery that lasted 7-8 years (had been in the car 2 years before I bought the car), and was finally killed by an exhaust manifold leak that semi-melted the case. I made jokes about it when I first bought the car, because I'd heard bad things about Interstate batteries. Guess it got the last laugh.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The OEM battery in my Audi made it six years of short city trips, sub-freezing ambient and being left sitting for weeks while I rode the bike. Probably would've lasted longer if I'd kept it on a tender. Don't remember the brand but I'm sure it was something exceedingly precise

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

They used to. I've lost 3 AC delco pros in the last year.

Fortunately they are under an exchange warranty still (no pro rate) and I was told that the last pair I got supposedly no longer had the problem.

Not sure who makes them for Delco, but it's been a crappy 2 years or so according to my local NAPA (and the pile of newish looking Delcos on the return rack behind the counter).

Some Googling suggests Johnson was making them for a bit after Delphi pulled out; supposedly they're now made in Korea?

Looks like the local GM dealers can't even order a Delco battery for my car anyway :v: - and it's an externally vented battery (due to being in the trunk), which will make finding a replacement interesting. Supposedly DieHard Gold 78's will bolt up to the stock vents though, whereas most seem to require modifying the vent tubes... if you can even hook them up.

Terrible Robot posted:

I had an Interstate green-top battery that lasted 7-8 years (had been in the car 2 years before I bought the car), and was finally killed by an exhaust manifold leak that semi-melted the case. I made jokes about it when I first bought the car, because I'd heard bad things about Interstate batteries. Guess it got the last laugh.

Interstate has generally had really good batteries; I personally avoid them due to the whole super-religious line that they walk. :catholic:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I buy 'em because there the prettiest batteries.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We buy Interstate batteries every now and then at our shop. Around Christmas they sent our shop an evangelical religious book.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm sure it's completely innocent, but I love the fact there is a brand of batteries called Lion.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

I'm sure it's completely innocent, but I love the fact there is a brand of batteries called Lion.

Really?

I simply must have one for my Peugeot.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Memento1979 posted:

Free wrench!

(not my photo)

The tire shop I use has a jar full of things they're pulled out of tires, including a pair of pliers, a wrench, an 8" piece of 3/8" threaded rod, a deer antler, and various bolts/screws/nails. The pliers are actually mounted in situ in their display of damaged tires as the FOD example (handle in through the tread and out the sidewall, in case you were wondering).

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 17, 2013

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Delivery McGee posted:

The tire shop I use has a jar full of things they're pulled out of tires, including a pair of pliers, a wrench, an 8" piece of 3/8" threaded rod, a deer antler, and various bolts/screws/nails. The pliers are actually mounted in situ in their display of damaged tires as the FOD example (handle in through the tread and out the sidewall, in case you were wondering).

I wish I took a picture, but I got a flat tire on my GTi several years ago. A steak knife went handle first in the tread and out the inside sidewall. It was bonkers.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Carteret posted:

I wish I took a picture, but I got a flat tire on my GTi several years ago. A steak knife went handle first in the tread and out the inside sidewall. It was bonkers.

Who did you piss off? That's crazy-pants.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

No idea, but the tire place I took it too almost cut his finger off dismounting the tire. It was pretty narly, and I think they kept it out of wonder :D

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Picture to follow. I am in the midst of a nightmare.

My nephew brought over his 2006 Subaru WRX Sti so we could replace the front rotors, which are warped. Figured it'd be a one-hour job - it's two bolts per caliper, and nothing holds the rotor on.

Started at noon on the passenger side. The first bolt was sticky but came out. The lower bolt sheared off.

We have spent the last five hours trying to get this loving bolt out. After constant application of a propane torch, we managed to move it a sixteenth of an inch (about 2mm) before shearing off the rest of the bolt. I went through seven drill bits trying to drill it out to relieve it, as well as three pairs of Vise-Grips, which were the only thing that would hold on to the stub.

This is a Brembo caliper, which is apparently as rare as unicorn farts, and appears to be about $1000 at the dealer. I'm trying to track down machine shops, no mean feat on St. Patrick's Day Sunday. The car is now undriveable and in my garage, where it may remain for quite some time.

I've been working on cars since 1975. Never had anything remotely like this happen to be with disc brake calipers.

(edit) arg.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 18, 2013

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Memento1979 posted:

Free wrench!

(not my photo)

From today at the shop.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Another kind of oil pan mishap; rust from the inside-out!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Root Bear posted:

How the hell does an oil pan rust that much?

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

PainterofCrap posted:

The first bolt was sticky but came out. The lower bolt sheared off.
:stonk:

Was it a matter of rust, over-torque, or a little bit of both?

Root Bear posted:

How is that even possible? I'm legitimately puzzled - I always assumed oil would provide a ridiculously effective barrier against air and moisture.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm going to guess either water some kind of additive is to blame on that one.

Maybe an electrical reaction to something?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I just went to check the date on the battery in my Jetta, which I haven't touched since buying the car in 2005. I couldn't find one, but I did find a very angry note that had fallen under the hood, berating me for parking in the space that they shoveled out after the blizzard.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly, it looks more like road salt got under the paint, causing it to bubbleand eat into the pan. A pinhole leak is inevitable if it keeps eating in.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, I'm guessing salt and an oil leak. Oil leak covers pan with layer of protection; salt/slush crusts the bottom and finds any place the oil *hasn't* covered, and eats the metal from the inside out.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Opensourcepirate posted:

I just went to check the date on the battery in my Jetta, which I haven't touched since buying the car in 2005. I couldn't find one, but I did find a very angry note that had fallen under the hood, berating me for parking in the space that they shoveled out after the blizzard.
As in, parking on the street in a spot that someone shoveled out assuming that no one else would ever park there? In that case I'd very clearly instruct them to :fuckoff:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cenodoxus posted:

As in, parking on the street in a spot that someone shoveled out assuming that no one else would ever park there? In that case I'd very clearly instruct them to :fuckoff:

In Chicago, parking somewhere where someone "reserved" with lawn furniture will result in far more than a note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

nm posted:

In Chicago, parking somewhere where someone "reserved" with lawn furniture will result in far more than a note.

IMO, no furniture is fair game. I would leave snow in my spot to make it less attractive for people to park in. It worked well with my Subaru and people with trucks couldn't fit.