Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Wubbles posted:

So, why was Luke just handed a fighter ship and made a commander like a minute after he met with the Rebels?

Pretty sure he wasn't a commander vs. the 1st Death Star; he took orders from Red Leader like the rest of them (though I'm not sure why he was able to order Biggs & Wedge around). Afterwards, well, you got a PR godsend like the guy who killed the Death Star, you play it to the hilt, so I can see him making commander ASAP to look good to the people the Rebellion was trying to sway (well, that and it was if memory serves a while between ANH and ESB, depending on how high Rebel casualties were he might have been an "old man of the squadron" by surviving that long).

api call girl posted:

Reminder that pretty much none of the Rebel deaths at the Battle of Yavin were from any of the lasers on the Death Star but from Darth Vader and his couple regular TIE-flying wingmen.

Amusingly enough, I'm pretty sure we saw "inferior" TIEs killing more X-Wings and Y-Wings than being killed off, at best the Rebels managed slightly worse than even kill rate even if you assume they killed all the other TIEs off-screen. Guess Vader really did have elite pilots out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

How much time passes between the end of ANH and the start of Empire? (with a minimum of reference to EU sources)On the one hand the rebels have built a pretty big base there, on the other hand they are still reconfiguring all their equipment and setting up their perimeter at the start of the film.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Alchenar posted:

How much time passes between the end of ANH and the start of Empire? (with a minimum of reference to EU sources)On the one hand the rebels have built a pretty big base there, on the other hand they are still reconfiguring all their equipment and setting up their perimeter at the start of the film.

3 years pass between ANH and ESB, 1 year between ESB and ROTJ.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MadDogMike posted:

Pretty sure he wasn't a commander vs. the 1st Death Star; he took orders from Red Leader like the rest of them (though I'm not sure why he was able to order Biggs & Wedge around). Afterwards, well, you got a PR godsend like the guy who killed the Death Star, you play it to the hilt, so I can see him making commander ASAP to look good to the people the Rebellion was trying to sway (well, that and it was if memory serves a while between ANH and ESB, depending on how high Rebel casualties were he might have been an "old man of the squadron" by surviving that long).

Amusingly enough, I'm pretty sure we saw "inferior" TIEs killing more X-Wings and Y-Wings than being killed off, at best the Rebels managed slightly worse than even kill rate even if you assume they killed all the other TIEs off-screen. Guess Vader really did have elite pilots out there.

Making the rebel ships look all beat-up and the TIEs all sleek was supposed to convey that the former are the underdogs, but somehow the EU got hooked on this idea that the X-Wing was actually a cutting edge superiority fighter and that the Empire had to race to make something comparable (hence the bent-wing fighters in Return of the Jedi.)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I always preferred the explanation from the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games. The rebel crafts were all general purpose vehicles they had to use for multiple functions, not all of which they were build for (my favourite must be their method of attacking destroyers and such by crashing an A-Wing into the bridge). The Empire on the other hand can afford to make a variety of different vehicles each with a specific purpose.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The MSJ posted:

I always preferred the explanation from the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games. The rebel crafts were all general purpose vehicles they had to use for multiple functions, not all of which they were build for (my favourite must be their method of attacking destroyers and such by crashing an A-Wing into the bridge). The Empire on the other hand can afford to make a variety of different vehicles each with a specific purpose.

But this becomes a problem when the all-purpose vehicle outperforms all the specialized vehicles in their respective fields.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Maxwell Lord posted:

Making the rebel ships look all beat-up and the TIEs all sleek was supposed to convey that the former are the underdogs, but somehow the EU got hooked on this idea that the X-Wing was actually a cutting edge superiority fighter and that the Empire had to race to make something comparable (hence the bent-wing fighters in Return of the Jedi.)

I've always liked the TIE Interceptor design, which is the bent wing TIE you are referring to. It kind of makes sense since they introduced the TIE Bomber in the Empire Strikes Back, and if we want to believe the EU there were already TIE Interceptors during the first movie, just not that many of them.

Speaking of EU and X-Wing/TIE Fighter games, why aren't they up on Steam? That is an absolute travesty. Hell, I can't believe that they haven't made another sequel. Oh and I dug out my collection of X-wing novels from 15 years ago. They aren't as good as I remember. :smith: Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they get better once Aaron Allston takes over and switches to Wraith Squadron? Michael Stackpole likes to throw in as much word salad as possible; it's like Star Trek levels of technobabble in his books.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
The TIE Interceptor is a very pretty bit of design, but I find all the rationalising about manufacturers and speeds and functions etc a bit tedious as the X-wing and original TIE are pretty symbolic designs; the specifics don't matter. You get absolutely everything you need to know about them by looking at/hearing them. The way that the X-wings all have a different engine pitch noise as well as different astromech droids is great because you get a lot of character from seeing the same set back-to-back with the various battle edits. The paintjobs and dirty, repaired armour is really good shorthand and tells you more than a million page wookiepedia article with tedious specifics will. Compare/contrast the customised X-wing pilot helmets to the identikit TIE pilot ones, and that's it - job done. It always makes me wonder 'why' the EU and all these technical readouts exist; what you see on screen should be enough. I dunno.

ROTJ is slightly confusing what with the B-wings and A-wings etc which runs against the idea that it's a ragtag fleet. I think with most things SW, it's more interesting when it's smaller.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

echoplex posted:

ROTJ is slightly confusing what with the B-wings and A-wings etc which runs against the idea that it's a ragtag fleet. I think with most things SW, it's more interesting when it's smaller.

In ROTJ it works because the Rebel Fleet itself looks a mixed bag of ships compared to the massed Star Destroyers of the Empire. Overall the three films give the impression of a rebellion that's gradually increasing in organisation and resources in the background as we focus on the heroes. In ANH it's just a bunch of guerilla fighters in a backwater base who've pulled off just enough high-profile attacks that Luke on a backwater-planet has heard of them. By the time of ROTJ they're operating a fleet and it's no longer all-humans and they have spy networks and they're clearly still the underdogs but they're more of an army and actually contemplating a full scale military operation against the Empire.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

echoplex posted:

As the posted above is saying, I'm really surprised you're saying this. The "entirety" of the Rebel Fleet is a bunch of put together mixes of different nonsense and designs, with a bunch of different races, while the Empire is uniform (in race as well). it provides a rather perfect contrast there.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

The MSJ posted:

(my favourite must be their method of attacking destroyers and such by crashing an A-Wing into the bridge).

That was pretty obviously an accident.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Mooktastical posted:

That was pretty obviously an accident.

Not once the EU got ahold of it! :v:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

mr. stefan posted:

Not once the EU got ahold of it! :v:

Wait, really?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

penismightier posted:

Wait, really?

Yeah, the prow of the A-wing is actually a battering ram. Dude totally spun out of control on purpose in ROTJ.

I just read this the other day myself.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

reagan posted:

Yeah, the prow of the A-wing is actually a battering ram. Dude totally spun out of control on purpose in ROTJ.

I just read this the other day myself.

The way the extended universe destroys everything good about the films in order to perpetuate them is like something out of Borges.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

God drat, EU.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My "favorite" part about the EU is how every character shown in the films, even if it's for just a few seconds, is made out to be a significant character.

I don't remember the details, but there's one stormtrooper who fell backwards when the other stormtroopers around him fell forwards. It turns out that the one that fell backwards is actually a super important guy (I want to say he was involved in finding the Death Star plans because in the EU those plans have passed through basically every character seen in the movies, named or not).

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

reagan posted:

Dude totally spun out of control on purpose in ROTJ.

That is loving stupid. How does someone spin out on purpose? The guy even screams before he bites it. I really hate poo poo like that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

My go-to example of EU banality: the one gunner on the death star who says "stand by" twice at Yavin ended up being a major character of some novel, who was actually a nice guy who felt guilty about blowing up alderaan and deliberately stalled so Luke could blow him up.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

mr. stefan posted:

My go-to example of EU banality: the one gunner on the death star who says "stand by" twice at Yavin ended up being a major character of some novel, who was actually a nice guy who felt guilty about blowing up alderaan and deliberately stalled so Luke could blow him up.

Nah, the best is the original R5 droid Luke picks out that breaks down, allowing C-3PO to suggest R2 as a replacement. Turns out that droid was in tune with the Force and saw a premonition of what would happen if R2 and Luke did not meet, and so willingly sacrificed itself in order to allow the galaxy to be saved.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Srice posted:

My "favorite" part about the EU is how every character shown in the films, even if it's for just a few seconds, is made out to be a significant character.

I don't remember the details, but there's one stormtrooper who fell backwards when the other stormtroopers around him fell forwards. It turns out that the one that fell backwards is actually a super important guy (I want to say he was involved in finding the Death Star plans because in the EU those plans have passed through basically every character seen in the movies, named or not).

It is really loving sad that I know this, but are you talking about Davin Felth? The "look sir, droids!" sandtrooper?

I'm going to go shoot myself in the head for having that lodged in the back of my brain.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Alchenar posted:

In ROTJ it works because the Rebel Fleet itself looks a mixed bag of ships compared to the massed Star Destroyers of the Empire. Overall the three films give the impression of a rebellion that's gradually increasing in organisation and resources in the background as we focus on the heroes. In ANH it's just a bunch of guerilla fighters in a backwater base who've pulled off just enough high-profile attacks that Luke on a backwater-planet has heard of them. By the time of ROTJ they're operating a fleet and it's no longer all-humans and they have spy networks and they're clearly still the underdogs but they're more of an army and actually contemplating a full scale military operation against the Empire.

Darko posted:

As the posted above is saying, I'm really surprised you're saying this. The "entirety" of the Rebel Fleet is a bunch of put together mixes of different nonsense and designs, with a bunch of different races, while the Empire is uniform (in race as well). it provides a rather perfect contrast there.

I think it's the implementation. I love the look of the Rebel fleet in terms of the people and the capital ships; but stuff like the B-wing with it's own tiny S foils feels like a lot of Star Wars does post ESB - the same, but MORE. With ANH it always felt that the X and Y wings were relics; uncrated antiques held together, in the Y-wing's case missing all it's armour. The appearance of more ships in the ~wing format just strikes me as odd; I would just expect more X wings really. What with ROTJ having the EVEN BIGGER Death Star and ESB having the EVEN BIGGER Star Destroyer, like I say, it just feels a bit too busy. A bunch of battered X-wings is... enough, I guess?

I totally get what you're both saying, and I agree in principle, it would just be interesting to have seen something that wasn't trying to be the replacement toy. The first look was perfect.

I do love that Rebel fleet hangar matte painting, though. A lot.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The second, bigger Death Star is the ultimate expression of that extended universe poo poo - when you look at the "stats" oh no it's superhuge and balls powerful, but on screen - it's in loving space, you can't tell how big it is! Come on!

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

penismightier posted:

The second, bigger Death Star is the ultimate expression of that extended universe poo poo - when you look at the "stats" oh no it's superhuge and balls powerful, but on screen - it's in loving space, you can't tell how big it is! Come on!

Another area where the simplicity and effectiveness of the original shines through. They establish the scale by having the characters think it's a moon when they first see it. RoTJ they put it around an actual moon that is much bigger so the Death Star actually feels smaller.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I love that the rebels in RotJ go to war with the space ship equivalent of a U-haul as the majority of their fleet.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mooktastical posted:

That is loving stupid. How does someone spin out on purpose?
Well, spinning is a good trick...

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

But this becomes a problem when the all-purpose vehicle outperforms all the specialized vehicles in their respective fields.

The Rebel fighters were significantly more advanced models, the Empire had a somewhat unexhaustable supply of pilots (especially for the number of threats they actually faced) and just threw them in cheap and easily replaceable ships since up until the destruction of the first Death Star there was no significant force that would even require anything better. Note how Darth Vader didn't go out in one of those deathtraps, he had his very own TIE advanced with shields and a hyperdrive and all the fancy bits that an X-Wing had. The Rebels on the other hand were able to secure a ton of backroom funding but had no significant personnel force so having a ship with a bit more survivability in a dogfight was worth the expense.

I did always find it a bit odd when they showed up later with the big capitols and stuff though. I mean, if the Empire sees you using like 10 Mon Calimari ships they would probably just go blow the gently caress out of the shipyards at Mon Calimari, ditto with the B-Wing since that thing was like a dedicated advanced bomber that wouldn't be sitting around in a planetary militia like an X-Wing or A-Wing might be. But whatever, it makes for a fun climax an an awesome series of Sim games.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
If I remember, the Mon Cal ships were reconverted luxury starships. I think the B-wing was a prototype that Ackbar developed himself, and I think it was complicated as gently caress to operate so there were only a handful to operate. :goonsay:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

reagan posted:

Speaking of EU and X-Wing/TIE Fighter games, why aren't they up on Steam? That is an absolute travesty. Hell, I can't believe that they haven't made another sequel.

:iiam:

They're great games. I don't know why the rights-holders are squatting on them, they play great with a 360 controller.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

E: fucksake, wrong thread crosspost.

TO STAY ON TOPIC: The old X-wing/Tie fighter games are DOS-era, aren't they? whoever is holding the rights may just not give enough of a poo poo to port them/package an emulator in with the games. Also, I think Lucasarts is traditionally terrible about that sort of thing these days.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 16, 2013

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Spaceman Future! posted:

The Rebel fighters were significantly more advanced models, the Empire had a somewhat unexhaustable supply of pilots (especially for the number of threats they actually faced) and just threw them in cheap and easily replaceable ships since up until the destruction of the first Death Star there was no significant force that would even require anything better. Note how Darth Vader didn't go out in one of those deathtraps, he had his very own TIE advanced with shields and a hyperdrive and all the fancy bits that an X-Wing had. The Rebels on the other hand were able to secure a ton of backroom funding but had no significant personnel force so having a ship with a bit more survivability in a dogfight was worth the expense.

See, this is a terrible explanation. It not only makes no sense--it takes away from the Alliance's underdog status. And it's become the official story.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Madurai posted:

See, this is a terrible explanation. It not only makes no sense--it takes away from the Alliance's underdog status. And it's become the official story.

They were still the underdogs. The Imperial dogfighters are poo poo because they didn't need anything else, if a planet was out of order they had supermassive gently caress off Star Destroyers just pummel the poo poo out of it, the fighters existed to pick off smuggler ships and whatnot. The Rebel fighters were, at most, competent planetary militia starships, "More advanced" kind of loses meaning at that point. Whatever slight edge they may have had in military hardware for their fighters is crushed by being completely outnumbered and outgunned. They didn't even have that many of them, hell you see their entire fleet of fighters at the end of ANH when they send everything they got up against the Death Star and there's like 20 of them, the Imperials have hundreds of Star Destroyers and hundreds of thousands of TIE fighters. On top of that the Rebel capitol fleet consists of "corvettes" that are so tiny and useless that a Star Destroyer can fit one in its docking bay, Nebulon Frigates which may as well be made of tin foil, and apparently luxury cruisers that had guns strapped onto them.

Not an intimidating force by any means.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

penismightier posted:

What I like about the second Death Star is it's incompleteness. It's the villain from the first movie who has come back for revenge, but now he has scars and that makes him super-hardcore.

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
While we're on the subject of wacky EU stuff, does anyone know if Knights of the Old Republic holds up? I never played it, and I was thinking of buying it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Wubbles posted:

While we're on the subject of wacky EU stuff, does anyone know if Knights of the Old Republic holds up? I never played it, and I was thinking of buying it.

The first one is decent. The second one has a very interesting story, but suffers from the fact that lucasarts forced it out six months before the devs were ready, leaving a shitload of content broken or unfinished. You can however restore a lot of the lost content with mods.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

mr. stefan posted:

The first one is decent. The second one has a very interesting story, but suffers from the fact that lucasarts forced it out six months before the devs were ready, leaving a shitload of content broken or unfinished. You can however restore a lot of the lost content with mods.

The second one is notable for basically blowing the lid off of Star Wars, and is basically an entire game dedicated to the idea that it's kind of hosed up that the entire universe is based on an actual Good Versus Evil dichotomy, and dares to ask questions like "is performing an evil act for the greater good really evil?". Naturally Lucas disowned the concept, but it's damned good writing.

But yeah, it's also broken and rushed to hell to meet a Christmas release, but the stuff it does well, it does better than pretty much any other game.

The first one is pretty much just Star Wars fanfic with the names changed and all the archetypes jumbled around slightly. It's still fun to be the hero in a Star Wars story and jump around with lightsabers, though.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
KotOR was a lot of fun for the time, but if you've played a Bioware game since then you've already played KotOR only with a different coat of paint.

Of course, it's always on sale for $2.50 on Steam just about every time they have a big sale, so it's not a huge investment either way.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
As a kid I used to loving love RotJ more, mostly due to the ~space battle~, thinking that the first movie's space battles seemed slow and such in comparison. Plus I was like 13 when Zahn's Thrawn series came out and the EU just started its exponential poo poo ballooning, so I totally bought into all of the poo poo like "TIEs are disposable poo poo vehicles and Storm troopers are terrible!"

Now that I'm much older, I really appreciate the first movie for what it did. Back then there wasn't any stupid EU to poo poo on everything, and the fact that the Millenium Falcon fought off 4 TIEs on its own seemed crazy impressive (thanks EU for letting me know that the Death Star probably had 4 billion extras they could have thrown at it!). And the space battle seem like slower powerful ships flying around instead of zippy little meaningless things in later movies.

Plus the heroes either were awesome (Han Solo's Stormtrooper charge) or just plain lucky (Luke and Leia across the gap) than just the stormtroopers being uniformly terrible.

Oh well.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

echoplex posted:

E: thinking of RotJ, another Death Star? That's got to have been a let down at the time.

I remember reading somewhere that Gary Kurtz hated the idea of 'another Death Star' because it was so derivative. The whole ending of ROTJ was wrong, as he saw it. It wouldn't have made the movie into some kind of overly serious or depressing end if they HAD allowed Han Solo to die on his last mission, Luke to ride off into the sunset, and for a bitter peace (instead of total victory) at the end. The best part about Jedi was the entire first half. Jabba's palace and the sand pit, even now, fit in perfectly with the first two movies and are really a slap in the face to the EU and Star Wars mania: Leia getting turned out, fanfiction favorite Boba Fett dies like a chump, the way life was cheap and brutish for almost everyone, and Luke's Jedi Mind Tricks and wisdom fall way short of his decision to simply go balls out and kill everyone.
The worst thing about the end of ROTJ wasn't the way the story went, it was just the way they went about it. The Empire completely lost its teeth, and I'm not only talking about the Ewoks killing stormtroopers. The 'magic BB guns' strategy worked in the first movie because nobody expected a single fighter to be able to take down a whole battle station. By the third movie, and certainly in the EU and videogames to follow, it became standard practice. Killing the Death Star in basically the same way was even more pointless than resurrecting it in the first place.

Speaking of the original movie, and the people who made it, there is an interesting book about how it came to be:
http://www.legacybookspress.com/Books/The%20Secret%20History%20of%20Star%20Wars%20-%20Free%20Sample.pdf
I like how it does give some credence to Lucas' claim that he wanted to make a modern Flash Gordon, but how it was the creative minds around him that made a more unique world and story to go in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I always thought the X wings looked rough because they did atmospheric flight and the TIEs were space only.

• Locked thread