Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

echobucket posted:

So I took the plunge, updated the mac mini and ran trim enabler.. and it patched fine.

Homemade Fusion Drive is okay and now says "Fusion Drive" on it.

This also worked on my 2012 15" Macbook Pro with a Fusion Drive and File Vault 2 turned on :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Action Jackson! posted:

So is creating an actual Fusion drive on any Mac supported with the 10.8.3 update? I know that before you could use some core storage utilities to create a spanned volume that looked like a Fusion drive but didn't actually do the caching and moving of the files.

No, I'm pretty sure a home made fusion drive moves and caches the blocks. And if it didn't, then I was pretty happy even without it doing it and 10.8.3 must be making it better.

Previously in 10.8.2, my homemade fusion drive in About This Mac showed as "Hard Drive + Solid State Disk"

Now it says "Fusion Drive".

But that's probably just a labeling thing.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
This bugged the poo poo out of me:

quote:

A fix for an issue that may cause the desktop picture to change after logging out or restarting

Every time I'd log out or restart, my wallpaper was different.

Not only that, but Mac OS X saved the wallpaper based on which video card I was using. I'd have to set my wallpaper when using Intel/Integrated, then force the system to Discreet/NVidia and set the wallpaper again. That was my "work around" to try and keep the wallpaper from changing so much.

Edit:
It's still doing it with 10.8.3! I set the wallpaper with one video card, but it still shows the old wallpaper with the other video card.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 15, 2013

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

echobucket posted:

No, I'm pretty sure a home made fusion drive moves and caches the blocks. And if it didn't, then I was pretty happy even without it doing it and 10.8.3 must be making it better.

Previously in 10.8.2, my homemade fusion drive in About This Mac showed as "Hard Drive + Solid State Disk"

Now it says "Fusion Drive".

But that's probably just a labeling thing.

After further poking around on Google it appears that some people thought it didn't work until some guy ran a bunch of tests and benchmarks showing that it did actually do what it was supposed to.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is there a consensus pick for quick 'n' dirty video conversion? There's about a hundred apps on the store.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Craptacular! posted:

Is there a consensus pick for quick 'n' dirty video conversion? There's about a hundred apps on the store.

I don't know if it's the store since I don't use the store that often, but I think Handbrake is usually regarded as the goto video converter.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Finally! It feels like I've been waiting forever for this to be released since it includes drivers for the AMD 7xxx series cards. Time to throw the 7970 into my Mac Pro when I get home.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Windows 8 gets a Twitter client. When can we get Twitter for Mac back? :(

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Windows 8 gets a Twitter client. When can we get Twitter for Mac back? :(

Get it back? Is it gone?

I've used Twitter for both Mac OS X and Windows 8, and the Mac OS X client is a LOT better.

I couldn't find Lists on the Windows 8 app, and it is of course full-screen. The one for Mac OS X just runs in a little window and lets me view my lists.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I have decided to try Divvy for window management.

What are some good shortcuts I can use that aren't already taken by OS X itself? Right now I use Cmd-Shift-D to bring up Divvy, but I know a couple apps already use that combo (it sends an email in Mail, for example).

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Xenomorph posted:

Get it back? Is it gone?

I've used Twitter for both Mac OS X and Windows 8, and the Mac OS X client is a LOT better.

I couldn't find Lists on the Windows 8 app, and it is of course full-screen. The one for Mac OS X just runs in a little window and lets me view my lists.

They discontinued it just as a retina update was about to be released. It was completely ready to update but they refused to release it to get everyone to use the website.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Twitterrific is pretty great.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Tweetbot is also good, just expensive.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Heres a tip if you bought Mountain Lion from the App Store: you can redownload a full 10.8.3 image by option-clicking the Purchases column in the App Store window.

Be aware that if you moved the previous installer out of the Applications folder, App Store will search all of your hard drives to find it and update it in place, so if you want archives of the older installers for some reason you should copy them to some offline storage like a portable FW/USB drive or USB flash key.

Oh yeah, it's still about 4.46 GB in size just so you know.

Edit: BTW, perhaps someone ought to post the link to the combo installer and update the OP? Here's the link for the combo:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1640

793 MB of Mountainy goodness.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 15, 2013

gregday
May 23, 2003

Chuck Bartowski posted:

They discontinued it just as a retina update was about to be released. It was completely ready to update but they refused to release it to get everyone to use the website.

There's an unofficial Retina-ready build of the Twitter app. I can't seem to find it now, but PM me and I'll get it to you.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

I'll try it now.

carry on then posted:

Tweetbot is also good, just expensive.

I own it, despite loving the iOS version I really can't stand the Mac version :shrug:

gregday posted:

There's an unofficial Retina-ready build of the Twitter app. I can't seem to find it now, but PM me and I'll get it to you.

Thanks but I already have it. It's just annoying that there's no more official support and the bits at the side still look like poo poo

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does this page gently caress anyone else's Retina up?

http://bookofhook.blogspot.com/2013/03/smart-guy-productivity-pitfalls.html

Pinch to zoom just a little bit, then try to scroll with the touchpad. :argh:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I expanded the page until the whitespace on the left/right side was minimal, and could scroll with the track pad no problem. I didn't scan the page, but maybe check for a flash object, as that sometimes stops the page from responding to commands/mouse, and I have click-to-flash installed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

IUG posted:

I expanded the page until the whitespace on the left/right side was minimal, and could scroll with the track pad no problem. I didn't scan the page, but maybe check for a flash object, as that sometimes stops the page from responding to commands/mouse, and I have click-to-flash installed.

No flash installed. Are you on a 13 or 15?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

No flash installed. Are you on a 13 or 15?

15, and using Chrome without a problem. Just tried Safari and it's much slower to scroll. Like using a computer from 10 years ago. I haven't updated my computer yet to 10.8.3 either.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

~Coxy posted:

Someone on netkas said that it fixed the issue.

It didn't fix it for me, but I have updated my blog post to suggest people try 10.8.3 before running the ruby fix.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Welp the 10.8.3 update broke the old timemachine backup to an external drive.
It just get stuck on 'preparing backup' forever even after reboot or eject/reinsertion of the drive.

Deleting the old backup, reformat/recreating the backup drive and then backing it up again worked.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Bob Morales posted:

It chugs a bit when I scroll, but I can get it to scroll fine (when zoomed) by clicking around. It's badly coded.
Anything that has dynamic or static elements completely fucks with my Retina 13.
I noticed that 10.8.3 (or rather, Safari 6.0.3) had a fix for better scrolling on Facebook - and it works quite well, it's noticeably smoother. Pre-update I used to disable the Timeline/chat bar on Facebook, which made an incredible difference.

I think that any dynamic elements in jscript or HTML5 really punish the GPU when it comes to scaling. Webkit and current GPUs aren't read to deal with 5-megapixel screen resolutions.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

DaNzA posted:

Welp the 10.8.3 update broke the old timemachine backup to an external drive.
It just get stuck on 'preparing backup' forever even after reboot or eject/reinsertion of the drive.

Deleting the old backup, reformat/recreating the backup drive and then backing it up again worked.

How long is 'forever?'

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

decypher posted:

How long is 'forever?'
Yeah I thought it might be migrating file system or something but it said 'preparing backup' for about 4~5 hours with no change at all.

It's almost done with a complete new backup to a new partition after just an hour though :v:

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
I'm using Plex on my iMac, and every time i restart the computer I get this welcome screen:

Anything I can do to stop that?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm trying to install the 10.8.3 update on my early 2008 iMac. I downloaded it from the App Store and let it restart when it asked me to. Should I be concerned that it's been on this "Installing Software Update" screen with the barber pole progress bar for a good 25 minutes now?

Edit: a hard reboot and second try seems to have fixed it.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 16, 2013

Quixotic Pickle
Sep 27, 2009
Does anyone have a clue why the mid-2010 13" MBP is getting the cold shoulder when it comes to Win 8 support in Boot Camp? These systems are more than capable of running the OS, but Apple says Boot Camp 5 is not supported on them. It seems like they are focusing on the Core i systems and giving the C2D systems the shaft. Is there a technical reason that I'm missing for why these systems would not be supported?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Quixotic Pickle posted:

Does anyone have a clue why the mid-2010 13" MBP is getting the cold shoulder when it comes to Win 8 support in Boot Camp? These systems are more than capable of running the OS, but Apple says Boot Camp 5 is not supported on them. It seems like they are focusing on the Core i systems and giving the C2D systems the shaft. Is there a technical reason that I'm missing for why these systems would not be supported?

If I had to guess, it's either driver support, or that Apple doesn't care to spend the time testing Win8 on those older machines. Or both.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Does the latest version of Virtualbox work on OS X 10.8.3? Virtualbox's last version did not launch on 10.8.3 and I'm curious if the latest version has fixed such problems (The changelog/issue tracker does not mention this issue). I had to downgrade to 10.8.2.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

crazysim posted:

Does the latest version of Virtualbox work on OS X 10.8.3? Virtualbox's last version did not launch on 10.8.3 and I'm curious if the latest version has fixed such problems (The changelog/issue tracker does not mention this issue). I had to downgrade to 10.8.2.

No issues with the latest VirtualBox and 10.8.3 here.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

mongoibur posted:

I'm using Plex on my iMac, and every time i restart the computer I get this welcome screen:

Anything I can do to stop that?

Is it one of your startup programs?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

TealShark posted:

No issues with the latest VirtualBox and 10.8.3 here.

I just tested this on another identical rMBP. Thanks for confirming. I guess it might be some errant kernel extension.

swartkrans
Sep 3, 2006

The goon librarian.
I haven't had any problems with 10.3.8 and VMware Fusion, but I saw an upgrade for VMware Fusion immediately after upgrading. I did have to restart the 10.8.3 upgrade, it was stuck at 4 min left for over an hour. Restarting the computer during an upgrade is a little scary. Everything was fine after the second attempt though. No idea what happened.

swartkrans fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 16, 2013

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Bootcamp assistant doesn't appear to recognize my Windows 8 64/32bit iso as 64 bit - any way to force this? Change a setting in the iso?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

On this computer, I cannot jump inside a youtube video without loading. I can see the grey bar, and if I mess with my internet I can tell that if it doesn't have a grey bar - it can't play, and I can click wherever inside ithe bar, or wherever outside it. It makes no difference, it'll start to load afresh from where I clicked, no matter what. Also I've noticed a few times the grey bar grow, and then just go away. And then start growing again, but then its gone.

Any of you experienced that?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is this where I go to ask how to do Bootcamp with Win7?

I know HD4000 is crap, but it can still run more casual/old games than just what's listed for OSX.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

Is this where I go to ask how to do Bootcamp with Win7?

I know HD4000 is crap, but it can still run more casual/old games than just what's listed for OSX.

Make sure OS X is updated, and have your Windows 7 install media and a blank 8GB USB key on hand. Then run the Boot Camp Assistant in Utilities and it'll all go from there.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Any idea how repair permissions is done? Something is telling that whole system that /System/......./Coregraphics should be 777. That's ... not right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, I'm having the most frustrating issue that I've ever had while owning a Mac.

Surprise, it involves Windows.

Alright, so, for starters, I'm on the newest OS X, I have Boot Camp 5.0.2, I have the latest everything that's listed as working with Windows 8.

I follow Windows 8, I get all the way through the OS X side of it, then my computer is restarts and tries to boot into Windows, I imagine, but it doesn't. It goes to a completely black screen. I've read one older Support page that said "may stay black for a few minutes" or something along those lines, but this thing is simply frozen. I have to power off manually every time.

Upon the reboot into OS X, I look into the Windows partition of my drive and there are absolutely no files there. Windows is successfully on the USB drive (I'm using), but nothing more is coming of it. I can get through the initial Boot Camp part, but it results in a pure black screen when I need to get to the Windows side of things.