Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

OK if we're done abusing my character, can we all look at this (scroll to the bottom):

http://veganfest.org/speakers2013.php

They emailed me to be a speaker. It's in June. They're going to fly me out to Madison, Wisconsin, so I can tell vegans to stop buying fake meats. When I asked them if someone could host me (versus staying in a hotel, because if I stay in a hotel, I'd have to worry about what the hell to eat in an unknown city, whereas in someone's house, I can just mooch off of their fridge) in exchange for my cooking for them, the organiser said that she sent the word out, and had people fighting for the privilege. In the end, it went to the person who suggested me in the first place, and she's massively excited.

And because I fail at booking travel (whenever I've had to travel in the past, I'd call a travel agent, or have the person who wants me to fly out book the tickets through their travel agent), the lady said she'd sort out the plane tickets herself. Which means that I don't have to worry about getting reimbursed, and can just focus on planning out what to make. I'm so unspeakably excited. I've never been to Wisconsin before, and I look forward to going out and seeing it. I've heard that the people are extremely friendly, inviting, and warm. And the pictures I've seen of Madison are pretty nice too. I can't wait!

They said that they're going to take me out for a nice meal the night before the presentation, so that's pretty cool too. I get to see a new city, with people who really want me to come there, and who are paying for me to do what I love most: cook, and then talk about it. I'm freaking speechless you gais. This is soooooo awesome. And they used my favourite picture of me and Puppy.

I am so excited, you gais! This is such a huge honour.

That's really awesome, dino. Just hope they don't find out what you do to kittens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

:drat:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
So is fat on fat on fat on fat on fat on fat (with a pickle) still hip? I thought it was dying out.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Welp, that nearly turned me Vegan. (So many goons will crash that thang.)

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Dude Foods. Really?

These ultra-bros are gonna eat themselves into an early loving grave. Since when did gorging yourself on greasy, salty garbage become a "manly" thing to do? I blame the internet.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Dude Foods. Really?

These ultra-bros are gonna eat themselves into an early loving grave. Since when did gorging yourself on greasy, salty garbage become a "manly" thing to do? I blame the internet.

I blame Brooklyn.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There's a new burger place in Harvard Square in Boston called Tasty Burger. I will say, absolutely improbably, that their burgers are actually the best I've ever had, and there were entire years of my life dedicated to finding the best burger. It's insane. It's like Shake Shack but with the seasoning dialed back just a little bit, and with one correctly-sized patty. Like it's really remarkable.

But they have this "challenge" where you try to eat three "colossal dogs' in an hour. It sounded easy, but then they described it - each dog is a pound of meat with two hamburger patties and chili and poo poo. And it's just disgusting and sad. Here's a place that turns out, as far as I can tell, the best burgers in the country (I still can't believe it) and they serve this shite up for people to suffer through. It's just... tragic and upsetting and totally beneath such a tasty place. Food is better than that.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dino. posted:

I blame Brooklyn.

I blame Epic Meal TIme.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Gordough's in Austin serves everything on a donut. Their burgers are fan-loving-tastic. The Ron Burgundy is one of the best burgers I've ever had. Roasted garlic donuts are loving awesome.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Manuel Calavera posted:

I blame Epic Meal TIme.

We had eating contests long before that bloated piece of trash

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Puppy came down with something. He has a fever, is completely wiped out, and was shaking so hard that the memory foam mattress was vibrating. He's stopped shaking in the last half hour, and his fever seems to be less furnace like. Looks like I'd best put on a pot of rasam tomorrow morning. I've already soaked the tUvar daal and tamarind. Just hope he pulls through.

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
ABunch7587's little bitch

Placenta Smoothie posted:

That's because we dare not sully our delicious bar food with something as pedestrian as dyes. We stick to salt.

I figured out how to make some sriracha powder so perhaps it's time to move forward with our bar food. We have a new salt now.

Placenta Smoothie
Aug 25, 2008

Somehow I don't think walking unarmed into a herd of boar with razor blades for tusks is an entirely sound idea.

breakfall87 posted:

I figured out how to make some sriracha powder so perhaps it's time to move forward with our bar food. We have a new salt now.

I'm in.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

dino. posted:

OK if we're done abusing my character, can we all look at this (scroll to the bottom):

http://veganfest.org/speakers2013.php

They emailed me to be a speaker. It's in June. They're going to fly me out to Madison, Wisconsin, so I can tell vegans to stop buying fake meats. When I asked them if someone could host me (versus staying in a hotel, because if I stay in a hotel, I'd have to worry about what the hell to eat in an unknown city, whereas in someone's house, I can just mooch off of their fridge) in exchange for my cooking for them, the organiser said that she sent the word out, and had people fighting for the privilege. In the end, it went to the person who suggested me in the first place, and she's massively excited.

And because I fail at booking travel (whenever I've had to travel in the past, I'd call a travel agent, or have the person who wants me to fly out book the tickets through their travel agent), the lady said she'd sort out the plane tickets herself. Which means that I don't have to worry about getting reimbursed, and can just focus on planning out what to make. I'm so unspeakably excited. I've never been to Wisconsin before, and I look forward to going out and seeing it. I've heard that the people are extremely friendly, inviting, and warm. And the pictures I've seen of Madison are pretty nice too. I can't wait!

They said that they're going to take me out for a nice meal the night before the presentation, so that's pretty cool too. I get to see a new city, with people who really want me to come there, and who are paying for me to do what I love most: cook, and then talk about it. I'm freaking speechless you gais. This is soooooo awesome. And they used my favourite picture of me and Puppy.

I am so excited, you gais! This is such a huge honour.

Yay!!! You go dino!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

Puppy came down with something. He has a fever, is completely wiped out, and was shaking so hard that the memory foam mattress was vibrating. He's stopped shaking in the last half hour, and his fever seems to be less furnace like. Looks like I'd best put on a pot of rasam tomorrow morning. I've already soaked the tUvar daal and tamarind. Just hope he pulls through.

Have you considered giving him medicine? On the upside, you can turn down the heating and warm yourself i his toasty warmth.

Main wife actually had a terrible fever last month. I dragged her to the doctor: it was pneumonia.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

No Wave posted:

There's a new burger place in Harvard Square in Boston called Tasty Burger. I will say, absolutely improbably, that their burgers are actually the best I've ever had, and there were entire years of my life dedicated to finding the best burger. It's insane. It's like Shake Shack but with the seasoning dialed back just a little bit, and with one correctly-sized patty. Like it's really remarkable.

Whoa. If I get that conference in Boston I'm sure as Hell gonna check this out.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

No Wave posted:

I wish I'd known about that for my recent trip to Boston, but the blizzard probably would have kept them closed for the duration of my stay anyhow. It sure did gently caress up most of my other plans.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sjurygg posted:

Whoa. If I get that conference in Boston I'm sure as Hell gonna check this out call Squashy and let him take me out for dinner.

There, fixed that for you. :colbert:

bartolimu posted:

I wish I'd known about that for my recent trip to Boston, but the blizzard probably would have kept them closed for the duration of my stay anyhow. It sure did gently caress up most of my other plans.

You too! :colbert:

Seriously though, I am a big fat guy that has eaten burgers coast to coast, and I must say that while the Tasty Burger is very good, but it's not the best burger ever. It's not even the best in Boston!!!

The best burger in Boston is served at the bar at Craigie On Main (if you can get a seat at the bar). It's $18, and it's some of the best, freshest meat you'll ever put in your mouth.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Okay yeah, maybe I'll do that next time. I was in town for Extreme Beer Fest with about twenty friends. We managed to keep each other busy despite everything getting canceled. The day after the blizzard we invaded Lord Hobo and filled about half of their tables. Probably drank half of their Edward as well.

quote:

Seriously though, I am a big fat guy that has eaten burgers coast to coast, and I must say that while the Tasty Burger is very good, but it's not the best burger ever. It's not even the best in Boston!!!

The best burger in Boston is served at the bar at Craigie On Main (if you can get a seat at the bar). It's $18, and it's some of the best, freshest meat you'll ever put in your mouth.
I've heard good things about Craigie from other Boston friends but haven't been there yet. A couple of years ago we went to Boston Burger Company. Their burgers toe the stunt-eating line pretty closely, but they put out a tasty product and were great about seating our party of fifteen despite their FoH being the size of a postage stamp.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mediaphage posted:

We had eating contests long before that bloated piece of trash

They popularized the meatstravaganza thing though for the new generation of internet kiddies. If not the cause, they're certainly a big part of the problem. And Adam Richman, and that other guy. And Guy Fieri.

Also I hope Puppy will be ok dino. :saddowns:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

dino. posted:

If it's vegan, I would be proud to eat your food. :)

My wife is getting more comfortable in the kitchen and wants to start doing more work with veggies. I grabbed a copy of your book to give her and she had the kids help her make your kale soup. :iia: And I say this as a guy raised on pork and sausage filled kale soup fresh from the kitchen of angry Portuguese sisters.

And good luck to the pup :ohdear:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Made him a giant pot of garlic rasam, which my mum used to make me when I was feeling run-down. The rice wasn't cooked yet, but I had to get to work, and he was feeling much better. His fever dropped big time, he's not shaking anymore, and it looks like his 12 hour sleep helped tremendously. He's also not in pain anymore which is very good. I cancelled my trip to my brother's house though, because I can't leave him alone like that when he's sick. His fever is low enough that at this point, I told him not to take any meds for it, so that his body can sort this mess out on its own. Apparently, the bacteria and viruses that get killed off by a low grade fever are the types that also thrive at regular human body temperature. Reducing the fever when it's mild is pretty much the opposite of what to do, according to his doctor. He did have a large bottle of OJ next to him though. Also, he took his multivitamin this morning. If he was still feeling horrible, I wouldn't have left. When I did leave, he was snuggled up with his bear, and had his covers pulled up. Hopefully he clears it reasonably quickly. He's never really sick, so when he gets hit, it's pretty major.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

^^^ Glad to hear he's okay, dino! Just make sure he keeps drinking lots of liquid.

Does anyone have a good recipe for noodle dough? The recipe I'm using keeps making these gummy rear end noodles and I don't like it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

There's a really good recipe in keller's Ad Hoc, but it uses like 16 egg yolks. I'll have to dig it up later.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sociopastry posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe for noodle dough? The recipe I'm using keeps making these gummy rear end noodles and I don't like it.

What kind of noodles? Just fyi, more egg = tougher noodle, generally.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I'm craving Alfredo. The eggs are prolly why mine keeps coming out gummy- the recipe I found only uses like, two egg yolks. Maybe I should try adding some more egg yolks to it...

E: NUR NUR NUR HOW BOUT I ANSWER QUESTION NUR NUR NUR. I'm hoping to make a linguine analog.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My pasta/noodle recipe is about two and half cups of flour, two egg and two egg yolks. Add a little water if needed. I do it in a food processor. Once it's smooth, wrap it tightly and let it rest for 30 minutes minimum, then roll out. Should be a little tacky but not sticky. Dust it liberally with flour when you roll if it's a little sticky.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

^^^ Rad, thanks! That's relatively close to what I've been doing, looks like I wasn't using enough egg, though. ALFREDO HERE I COME

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

The Midniter posted:

Speaking of cheese curds, I just got the curds I ordered from a farm here in NC...I never really understood how a food could "squeak" while eating it but I sure do now!!!

Mine are cheddar-colored with annatto - is this traditional? I could swear all the pictures I've seen of filthy Canadians and their poutine that the curds are typically white.

What farm here in NC did you get them from?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

What farm here in NC did you get them from?

http://www.ashecountycheese.com/

EDIT: Hmm, upon further investigation it looks like it's not technically a farm, but a cheese plant. Oh well, it was the quickest I could find local cheese curds, and they're tasty as hell. :dealwithit:

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 15, 2013

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Hey, Gordon! Thanks for the noodle advice, they are friggin' perfect now. Next I'm gonna try some tortellini.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Got my first real culinary job today. I had posted a thread a few months ago about wanting to go to culinary institute of America after my tour as a Navy cook. You all said perhaps getting some experience would be better.

Hired at a local country club working in the Mens Golf Grill. Easy menu (salads, burgers, steaks, hotdogs,ect), basic bartending for 60 year old retired southern millionaires (I say boy, let me get a Jack and coke with a lime)

I get some menu input. $8 an hour, %5 of %20 of the days sales and tips and medical coverage in 90 days. I only opted for dental since Im covered by the VA for medical. After my first day of 9 hours slinging Michelob ultras, beefeater and tonic and impressed my boss what I called my "Navy Burger" (cut up 4 strips of bacon, mixed it in 9oz of ground beef, some blue cheese crumbles and a little worschestire)

I loved every second of it. My back hurts, feet are killing me. Made a $20 tip for a call in order to hole 11 because he wanted cigarettes (thank god I smoke)

I rock in the kitchen. My boss told me to slow it down a little. I guess the Navy training had me with a sense of urgency that was not needed in this situation. Ive got to work on my tableside service, Im a bit too professional according to him (basically said loosen up a little man)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Currently attending an engagement encounter weekend. It is thoroughly awful.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Just went through a shotgun wedding. That was something.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Casu Marzu posted:

What kinda shotgun? Was it a Remington?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

No visible shotgun, but I wouldn't doubt the bride's father was packing, considering the area.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Apparently the app can't edit, but from what I saw on the trucks outside, it's a very mossburg area.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Currently attending an engagement encounter weekend. It is thoroughly awful.

What the hell is an "engagement encounter weekend" anyway? Is that some sort of Laser Tag-themed engagement party or something??

Casu Marzu posted:

You yourself went through one (in which case congrats!) or you attended one? What made it "something"? Strippers? Hookers? Strippers who hook on the side?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I think that the "small limes 5 for $1" were mislabeled at the store.

I got in excess of 1/4 cup from one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The Midniter posted:

What the hell is an "engagement encounter weekend" anyway? Is that some sort of Laser Tag-themed engagement party or something??

a bunch of get in touch with your feelings nonsense the diocese makes us go though.