Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Break posted:

The deathiest of knights must be Macbeth

This right here. Also, the Death Knight is probably my favorite addition to 1.3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Regalingualius posted:

Hmmm... Given his doing nothing of significance until the very end, I'm thinking our new recruit should be forever (re-)known as Laertes.
I like this a lot. It fits in a very fluid way.

Captain Bravo posted:

Since we didn't name the Skeleton this, we really need a Yorick on the team. Hell, give him Sing or Talk as a secondary skill, and it's perfect.
Yorick was a jester, though. Are there any Jester like classes in this game?

Laertes

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Zeikier posted:

Backing the Laertes option. Sounded better than Mercutio anyway.

Now that you bring it up, I'm surprised no one suggested Tybalt!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Synastren posted:

Now that you bring it up, I'm surprised no one suggested Tybalt!

But they took the cats out of 1.3. :(

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Twiddy posted:

I like this a lot. It fits in a very fluid way.

Yorick was a jester, though. Are there any Jester like classes in this game?

Laertes

There's Mime.

Also, I approve of Macbeth for our Death night, since Tromeo isn't really from Shakespeare.

Break
Feb 19, 2011
Laertes and Tybalt are both pretty good, but Macbeth was a sword swinging schemer for a lot longer!

Plus, he consorted with the weird sisters, and come on, aren't they really just black/planar magic users? Not to mention ghosts! But I guess lots of Shakespeare characters run into ghosts.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Sorry but was MacBeth taken from his mother's womb, untimely ripped? No? Because that sounds way more Death Knight-y than somebody who committed regicide. MacDuff :colbert:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Sorry but was MacBeth taken from his mother's womb, untimely ripped? No? Because that sounds way more Death Knight-y than somebody who committed regicide. MacDuff :colbert:

I've been trying to decide what to vote for, and MacDuff is pretty much perfect.

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Suck at FFT 1.3? Tough. Don't blame me...blame yourself or...uh, well actually, blame me.
Hitoshi is named after Hitoshi Sakimoto, the composer in Final Fantasy Tactics.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Changing my vote from Laertes to MacDuff.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Archael posted:

Hitoshi is named after Hitoshi Sakimoto, the composer in Final Fantasy Tactics.

That changes everything, because I am in love with this game's soundtrack!

Keep it Hitoshi.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Voting for MacDuff.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

I am curious, could you show off the ingame help descriptions of these new classes?

I mean, you're showing spell quotes, so it seems appropriate.

Sure thing!

Onion Knight:

Rift Traveler:

Death Knight:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Also changed my vote from Laertes to MacDuff (I edited my post above accordingly).

Is it just me or do the new descriptions feel like they fit right in with the existing ones? FFT's class descriptions always felt like they had some odd bit of wording or phrasing that went with the rest of the translation, and these new ones seem to fit just fine.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Changing my vote from Laertes to MacDuff.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Voting for MacDuff.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Lay on, MacDuff.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Laertes has a much better ring to it.

Break
Feb 19, 2011
Changing my vote to Macduff

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Ah, thank you Prufrock. If you see any unique enemy classes in the future, can we see those as well?

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Do we have an Othello on Team Shakespeare yet?

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

I forget if I voted yet, but if I have Macduff

Ooh, Unit to be named later as Caliban.

Yes, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
Another vote here for MacDuff.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Episode 33: Bervenia Free City

Having broken through the Nanten guarding Dougola Pass, our motley band continues towards Zeltennia Castle.

Our next stop is Bervenia, the birthplace of Saint “Fantasy Jesus” Ajora. Being a holy site of great importance, the city is under the direct control of the Glabados Church. As to why we're stopping in a city owned by our biggest enemy, who are hellbent on hunting us down and separating our heads from our shoulders...well, that will have to remain a mystery.

Oh look, an ambush.

To be fair to Prufrock, we have killed an awful lot of people so far. Frankly, I'm surprised there aren't more siblings sworn to revenge against us.

Man, we're always getting heat for poo poo we didn't do! (Not that we wouldn't have killed Izlude, he just ran like a bitch the one time we had the chance...though somehow I don't think mentioning that would help our present situation much.)

Assassination time. Backing our newest Shrine Knight are three Ninjas, a Marksman, and a Dancer, though we only need to send the main babe into critical to end the fight.

Don't get too excited, however. Meliadoul is a drat tough nut to crack.

On top of her crazy HP, she's got boss defenses (so innate Defense UP / Magic Defense UP, immunity to status afflictions, immunity to Dark elemental / percentage damage) and is wearing the semi-rare Salty Rage Perfume, which adds both Shell and Protect, and has permanent Defend from her weapon, and recovers ~100 HP each turn.

Meliadoul is a Divine Knight, and like all sword skill users, she needs to have a Sword or Knight Sword equipped to use her special attacks. Therefor, in a single swoop, Mustadio can cripple her devastating offen...

...whoops. Well, that could make things a bit trickier.

That doesn't help much either. Keep in mind that Prufrock is rolling with Abandon + Mantle + Shield, so that arrow had ~10% chance to hit.

It's hard to see, but that was a Thrown weapon from one of the Ninjas. And no, it wasn't more bad luck for Prufrock: turns out half the enemies here are packing Concentrate, which makes our team's defensive setup hilariously inadequate. It may be a bumpy ride.

At least somebody's attacks can be blocked.

Meliadoul decided to spend her first turn retreating all the way to the back of the map. Unlike the previous battlefield, Bervenia is a big map with lots of open space, and, where in Dougola the player's formation and the enemy formation started out on roughly equal footing, here the Templars have a marked terrain advantage.

Blitzing Meliadoul might have been an option had she advanced, but now it looks as though we'll have to cut through at least a few of her lackeys first.

Being down a man from the very first round isn't going to help much either.

Dancer is a really excellent unit on this map, but only really for the enemy. There's tons of room for her to keep out of reach of our attacks, and retreating to the back means we'll have to slog our heavy hitters way up there before she turns everybody's attack stats to poo poo.

On the other hand, the Marksman makes it difficult for the player to get in on the Sing / Dance action, since he can easily destroy any unit without evasion. That the Ninjas are drat fast and can Throw a long distance just makes the proposition of a player-controlled Bard / Dancer that much less appealing.

For some reason I had actually thought that Arm Aim would work on Meliadoul (it doesn't) but at least taking one of the Concentrate Ninjas out of the action for a few rounds can buy a little breathing room.

The Divine Knight's skill Mighty Sword received the same nerfs as other sword skills: the attacks now cost MP and are subject to Physical Evasion (though with Meliadoul's Concentrate the latter is not an issue).

While Mighty Sword attacks only hit as hard as a regular physical attack (PA * WP)...

...each also breaks a selected piece of the target's equipment. Obviously, breaking a target's weapon is an excellent way to cripple many units' offense; on the other hand, combining damage with broken armor basically makes the HP hit permanent, which can be a powerful tool for fighting healing.

The Dancer's MA-reduction has already started cutting down Marche's offensive power, and the longer she stands up there shaking her money-maker, the worse it's going to get.

A little late, but this keeps us in the fight. Divine Knights are some of the best units to counter other sword skillers, and we're relying on two to form the backbone of our offense. Had she started smashing our weapons...

Payback for all the Last Song / Last Dance spam we've seen win fights for our side. Losing turns to CT 00 makes it hard for team hero to get moving; this formation was counting on the enemy advancing to trade blows.

On the other hand, with both of the Concentrating Ninjas taken out, they have very little offense (the Marksman can't get through all that Evasion).

One of Dark Sword's strengths is that it makes the wielder pretty independent; with the ability to refill HP and MP while dealing damage, they don't really need much support (outside of status removal).

With Draw Out equipped, Meliadoul can do some strong Evasion-ignoring damage even without her Defender. Still, dealing with Draw Out's AoE is better than taking equipment breaks to the face.

And this is why the team really needs to get up top. Eventually that Dancer can wear our attack power down to a pittance.

Sandbagging only slows down our advance, but regaining the numbers advantage will be important.

Particularly because Prufrock can keep everybody's health topped off in the face of Meliadoul's katana spam.

Finally, things start to get under control. Cleaning this one up will still be bumpy, but at this point we ought to have the win down.

We managed not to lose too much offense to Dance, which is good since we'll need every bit to crack Meliadoul's monster defenses.

Really, this team turned out to be a fairly poor choice for this battlefield. Had Meliadoul and the Dancer moved forward instead of backwards, everything would have fallen into place, but counting on the AI to play along is a dumb thing to do.

On the other hand, the area is too wide open for Rafa or Malak to get much use out of their special skillsets, so :shrug:

Let's take a minute to talk about this Marksman.

Dragon Spirit + Power Source is an rear end in a top hat combo. Any offense triggers a Reraise. Once he gets K.O.'d, that Reraise will fire, giving him a turn to Power Source himself. Rinse and repeat.

So in order to take this guy out, we're going to have to either (a) one-shot him, or (b) disable his Reaction skill. Unfortunately, Dance has put our offense out of one-shot range.

The Thief Hat, however, prevents Don't Act, so it has to go first.

Of course, Dragon Spirit fires. Now we've got to kill him once, then watch him Reraise and Power Source to full, then have Mustadio use Arm Aim, and then K.O. him again before the Don't Act wears off.

All to keep him from Power Sourcing Meliadoul forever.

Meanwhile, he's going to keep sandbagging. Bleh.

Stand 'em up, knock 'em down.

The only way to shut down a boss with Draw Out is to Break their magic down to nothing. Remember this, it might be important some time in the future.

So, as discussed, the Marksman is K.O.'d...

...stands back up via Reraise...

...and immediately drinks his way back to full fighting strength. Short of a Dispel (or similar effect) there's nothing much to be done to prevent it once Dragon Spirit kicks in, either, since K.O. clears debuffs.

This time, though, Mustadio is ready for him. No reaction skill means no Reraise.

And our sword skillers put him down for good.

Meliadoul is still throwing Draw Outs around, but with her MA lowered they don't hit hard enough to be a real threat.

Oh, and that Marksman? He's flagged Immortal too. :argh:

Prufrock taking the 'Shaggy Defense' here.

This dialogue actually took a surprisingly long time to trigger. I cut out several rounds of breaking all Meliadoul's equipment and plinking away at her health.

Nobody ever believes the “hellspawn crawled their way into our world through a magic rock” excuse.

Well, if she won't listen to reason, maybe Meliadoul will listen to a Holy spell aimed right at her face.

Pretty persuasive, eh?

Like anybody thought she wasn't going to run away, only to come back for another fight at a later time and place.

Par for the course.

J. Alfred Prufrock fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 16, 2013

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
This lack of perfume-stealing confuses and enrages me! :argh:

...Seriously though, the Salty Rage is rather less interesting than Meliadoul's usual fare. Let me just go check that monster talk update, see if either perfume can still be poached...

Ah. Hydra and Tiamat. Hmm. That's kinder than I was expecting.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
With that start I figured this was gonna be another Game Over update.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

likecnsnnts posted:

With that start I figured this was gonna be another Game Over update.

Same here.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yapping Eevee posted:

Seriously, wouldn't Fluellen love that?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kyrosiris posted:

Seriously, wouldn't Fluellen love that?

Fluellen would've also been an excellent choice to bring to the fight, as her innate Maintenance means she's immune to Meliadoul's sword skills.

Also, I cannot resist stealing all the Knight Swords I see, especially since the Defender is one of the best. It's like having the Abandon reaction ability built right into the sword. Too bad you can't use them with shields anymore.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

quote:

Oh, and that Marksman? He's flagged Immortal too. :argh:

Is he really, or is that just because he's wearing the Heroic Gloves?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'unno. (Get used to it)

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Heavy neutrino posted:

The sparkles are the indicator for the Immortal tag. Heroic Gloves still have the countdown over the corpse, it just never gets past 0.

Yeah, this battle is a right bastard if you don't lure Meliadoul down and dogpile her. The Crush X skills in WotL work on monsters and even when the gear slot is already broken, and I believe they do slightly more damage too.

That Dragon Spirit + Power Source combo is a pain, though you could use the Sage or Oracle dispel to remove the reraise right before you go for the last hit.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Honestly some of these battles really seem like they would've benefited from a FFTA-style deployment scheme where you can see the enemies and their set-ups. Really looks like a lot of them you'd have to try once, lose, then try again by planning against what you saw.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Yapping Eevee posted:

Now that we're into Chapter 4, Hydra and Behemoth type monsters are available for recruitment, so all Perfumes and the Defender Knight Sword can be Poached.

Trust me, I couldn't stand passing up something actually missable.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You're telling me you'd rather poach 10 hydras for a 50-50 shot at a salty rage than just steal one sitting in front of you?

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
...and now I have Shaggy stuck in my head.

You did miss the Lordly Robe from the end of Chapter 3. Sure, you can grab it later in the Deep Dungeon... but at that point it might be kinda moot.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

EatinCake posted:

...and now I have Shaggy stuck in my head.

You did miss the Lordly Robe from the end of Chapter 3. Sure, you can grab it later in the Deep Dungeon... but at that point it might be kinda moot.

I don't ever recall seeing one in 1.3 before late chapter 4.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Corvinus posted:

Yeah, this battle is a right bastard if you don't lure Meliadoul down and dogpile her. The Crush X skills in WotL work on monsters and even when the gear slot is already broken, and I believe they do slightly more damage too.
Yeah, Mighty Sword got a ridiculously huge boost in the remake. Took me completely by surprise. I was so happy that I managed to steal her weapon with minimal losses and then she kept destroying things. From my memory, the damage becomes forced 0 without a weapon, which somehow makes it hurt even more.

As I'm replaying FFT, one of the things I love about the game is the depth. Assuming that you aren't forcing the absolute most powerful build at all times, you have a ridiculously large amount of choices for stupidly powerful builds. For example, this run through I've been abusing speed save, and I normally don't really use that skill. I've come to love it a lot. Abandon is another such skill. Usually I use it sometimes to okay effect, but now I'm going all out with practically every character being abandon + mantle. I almost prefer it to anything with blade grasp, because it gives you magic resistance with the potential to have a relevant faith value.

Overall, replaying the game every few years shows why someone would want to mod the game rather than make their own. It really does feel like the sky's the limit, and the game just needed some retuning.

I suppose the biggest intrinsic flaw with the game is that damage does not quite scale linearly and there's no defense value. This makes overwhelming offense increasingly busted as the game goes on, as well as making defense rely on complete negation (evasion). Honestly, I guess that defense stats wouldn't be important if damage scaled more linearly and the HP cap wasn't 999. I guess that's the biggest offender, 999 HP isn't enough to take hits at end game.

Prufrock, I'm curious what level your party is at. It feels like the game has to artificially enforce a level cap in order for anything defense to function, so I'm wondering how strong that is at this point in the game. In other words, what level did they have to make you and Meliadoul at this point in the game so that innate protect/shell and defense/mdefense UP stopped you from just rushing her for victory? Looks like it's about 37 to 45.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 16, 2013

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

You're telling me you'd rather poach 10 hydras for a 50-50 shot at a salty rage than just steal one sitting in front of you?
Assuming Salty Rage is the rare poach, it isn't even 50-50. More like 90-10, which will probably drive anyone who's doing it legit insane. I would probably just recruit a Hydra and then add 5 Perfumes/Knight Swords using a save editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

dis astranagant posted:

Davzz posted:

Assuming Salty Rage is the rare poach, it isn't even 50-50. More like 90-10, which will probably drive anyone who's doing it legit insane. I would probably just recruit a Hydra and then add 5 Perfumes/Knight Swords using a save editor.

He said 10 hydras, which puts you at a ~65% chance for a rare.

• Locked thread