Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Complaint #1:

Vanguard (or the passive it links to) doesn't work on Runemaster spells :argh:

WHY DON'T YOU SAY IT ONLY AFFECTS PHYSICAL ON THE SKILL DESCRIPTION :argh:

yes I was 95% sure it was physical only but if the 5% was true it would be a hilarious R/L gotta go fast glass cannon build

Complaint #2:

Arcanist doesn't get a blind circle :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Dancers make chasing links the easiest thing in the world. Especially that last skill that just makes everyone in your party attack. Of course you need to use vanguard, but vanguard gives such a huge boost in damage, its worth it to do that anyways. Its two turns of setup for three turns of really good damage. Im only in the third stratum though, and way overleveled at that, so who knows how viable it is later on.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Truspeaker posted:

Dancers make chasing links the easiest thing in the world. Especially that last skill that just makes everyone in your party attack. Of course you need to use vanguard, but vanguard gives such a huge boost in damage, its worth it to do that anyways. Its two turns of setup for three turns of really good damage. Im only in the third stratum though, and way overleveled at that, so who knows how viable it is later on.
I don't really use Counter, Chase or Trick Samba since Regen/Refresh Waltzes and Attack/Guard Tangos (and sometimes Energy) are just too good, so Beat Dance won't work. Even with maxed Swords Dance, it seems like more often than not my basic attacks are still only hitting twice (once for each weapon since I also have Blade Flurry), so I don't really like using Trick Samba much. :shobon:

e: Does Vanguard damage boost work on the links' chase attack?

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 15, 2013

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Chase Samba + Rush Dance (Use during a Samba to chase all attacks) makes stacking up links almost ludicrously easy. The start of a turn usually looks like this:

1. Rachel used Flame Link!
2. Chase Samba activated!
3. Flame Link activated!
4. Rush Dance activated!
5. Flame Link activated!

That's one action. I don't use any Waltz/Tango (though I'm planning to pick up Refresh waltz -- the 6th maze makes same-turn status cures pretty powerful) and have a Medic to pick up the slack. I don't like the full-party attack skill though, since the 3 turn set-up is a bit much, and also because Chase Samba / Rush Dance is more reliable and comes off more quickly.

Also, Vanguard does increase the link damage as far as I can tell -- I have a maxed flame link skill and the first follow-up always deal the full 50% of the boosted main attack.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

RoboCicero posted:

I'm planning to pick up Refresh waltz -- the 6th maze makes same-turn status cures pretty powerful
It really is great all game, especially against enemies that poison or sleep your team. Your medic can line-refresh the back row while your Dancer clears the front row, and if a Petaloid-type or Dream Eater sleeps your entire team, or the Trip Mushroom-types panic/stun your entire team, you don't wanna have to sit there at their mercy until it wears off - your Dancer somehow keeps Waltzing while asleep :v:

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Labyrinth 6 is making me consider putting a dancer back in my team just for refresh waltz. Or maybe I could just drop a couple points on my fortress for it.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Beat the game, now it's time for my favorite part of EO, farming conditionals by killing bosses with the element they're strong to!

...Where's Dampen when you need it?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

Sleep is the only status that completely disables enemies. That is about it. I guess it could be nice for the nasty random battles from late in the game? I never use it myself, so I'm not sure how common sleep resistance is.

Well, Panic is practically a full disable as well. Panicked characters will only use basic attacks against random targets, which falls firmly into "Who gives a poo poo as long as you're not using that party murdering elemental death blast ability" territory. Also, it doesn't break on damage.

Hackan Slash posted:

Runemasters have it, divided into 3 skills.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Hackan Slash posted:

Beat the game, now it's time for my favorite part of EO, farming conditionals by killing bosses with the element they're strong to!

It's actually not too bad in this one. The dragons are NOT 95% resistant to their element. I'd say they only have maybe a 50% resistance, and that's stretching it.

ChibiSoma posted:

Ice dragon's an rear end in a top hat. I've beaten the other two, but he just keeps kicking my poo poo in. Lowest I've gotten him was about half. Keeps getting Absolute Zero spam happy with me. :mad: Storm Emperor got dangerous toward the end, but I put him down in one try. This guy's a jerk. What's the recommended level for him?

The Blizzard King was actually the first one I beat, in the low to mid 60s, pre-retirement even. He (almost?) always uses Ice Domain on turns divisible by 5, and frequently follows Ice Domain with Absolute Zero. If you bind his head on turn 4 or 5 it'll usually last long enough to prevent him from getting off any Absolute Zeroes, assuming your damage output is good enough to kill him before his action on turn 11. Make sure you're eating the Golden Crab and have an Ice Charm on your Fortress. If you want to be REALLY safe, buy a bunch of Ice Mists; combined with the food and ice charm, he'll only do 1 damage with either ice element attack.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Zurai posted:

The Blizzard King was actually the first one I beat, in the low to mid 60s, pre-retirement even. He (almost?) always uses Ice Domain on turns divisible by 5, and frequently follows Ice Domain with Absolute Zero. If you bind his head on turn 4 or 5 it'll usually last long enough to prevent him from getting off any Absolute Zeroes, assuming your damage output is good enough to kill him before his action on turn 11. Make sure you're eating the Golden Crab and have an Ice Charm on your Fortress. If you want to be REALLY safe, buy a bunch of Ice Mists; combined with the food and ice charm, he'll only do 1 damage with either ice element attack.

If it's the first time you're fighting it then Kirjonen should be helping you which means really there's no excuse to not have ice rune and element guard up all the time. With both of those and the ice resist food you should be hitting the resistance cap for ice damage. Blizzard King was the first dragon I killed as well, just because you can set up pretty easily to shrug off most of his attacks through sheer defense buffing.

Of course, if you're doing it with just your own 5 guys you might need ice mists, or to come back with a few more levels under your belt.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Meiteron posted:

If it's the first time you're fighting it then Kirjonen should be helping you which means really there's no excuse to not have ice rune and element guard up all the time. With both of those and the ice resist food you should be hitting the resistance cap for ice damage. Blizzard King was the first dragon I killed as well, just because you can set up pretty easily to shrug off most of his attacks through sheer defense buffing.

Of course, if you're doing it with just your own 5 guys you might need ice mists, or to come back with a few more levels under your belt.

Neither Kirjonen nor.. uh... Wiglaf was her name? Neither of them helped out at all. They both tried challenging the dragons on their own before I got there and got wrecked, so they both sent me on ahead. The only time I got a wingman was during the Great Dragon fight. The Prince was wrecking poo poo with his ice skill.

There a timed element to these and I just skipped it by not rushing out to do them immediately?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Assuming you have the quests to kill the dragons, right? If you do then one of your bros should have their airship sitting there next to the dragon that you can talk to to initiate the fight with their help. If you just fly into the dragon you'll fight them with just your 5 party members. If you have the quest to kill it, and there's no airship next to it, then I don't know what the gently caress. I don't think there is any timed element, I messed around a fair amount before killing them.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RoboCicero posted:

What level were you when you took on the dragons? I'm about level 60 across the board, with my Nightstalker at level 45 because he was benched for a bit while I tried a Bushi out.
poo poo, that wouldn't do at all. I was cutting pretty close in the mid/high 60s with the guest party members. A 45 would just be a slot-wasting dead weight that always gets one-shotted at that point, especially with the Nightseeker's crappy HP totals.

Zurai posted:

The Blizzard King was actually the first one I beat, in the low to mid 60s, pre-retirement even.
Also, Kirjonen is your guest the first time you fight him. Just spam Party Guard and give no shits if he dies to Absolute Zero :v:

Speaking of the dragons, the most bullshit thing is that Stretch doesn't help guard against the Fallen One's pyrrhic bind attack. What a waste of six SP.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 15, 2013

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Speaking of the dragons, the most bullshit thing is that Stretch doesn't help guard against the Fallen One's pyrrhic bind attack. What a waste of six SP.

Yeah, that's a little irritating; the Arcanist one doesn't work, either. Fortunately He almost always manages to bind his own head, which means at least he won't Supernova you until you've had a chance to unbind people. Also, the Fortress skill that reduces status/bind duration does work.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

maketakunai posted:

e: Does Vanguard damage boost work on the links' chase attack?

Link damage is based solely on the original damage done by the Landsknecht's first attack. So, yes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zurai posted:

Yeah, that's a little irritating; the Arcanist one doesn't work, either.

Actually, that one does. It worked the first time I fought him!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Actually, that one does. It worked the first time I fought him!

Really? I don't think I've ever had it trigger. Of course, I'm subbing Arcanist, so it's not as effective as a main class, but still.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Ha ha ha, I hit Logre so hard I fixed his hair.

Too bad for him that was the only battle auto-revive kicked in every time I needed it.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Zurai posted:

Yeah, that's a little irritating; the Arcanist one doesn't work, either. Fortunately He almost always manages to bind his own head, which means at least he won't Supernova you until you've had a chance to unbind people. Also, the Fortress skill that reduces status/bind duration does work.

While it has a great chance of the head bind, what is really funny is that he won't bind the limb he intends to use in the next phase; so if he's going to be spamming physicals he'll bind his head and legs, and if he's going to be spamming magicals he'll bind his head and arms. I've seen darkness curse not bind anything when he's at low HP and mixes it up with both, too.

Honestly what worked for me was just predicting the phases, which wasn't that hard because they're all HP based; once you've done a few runs you should have a general sense of when in the turn count you've pushed him far enough, or even just by eyeballing the HP bar. On a turn where I thought he'd do it I just had my fastest character (S) drop a Therica on my A/M, who was second fastest and set to use Recovery on the frontline. This basically let my frontline carry on with the business of chopping him into bits without really worrying about binds.

Also, as I learned when I lucked out with a really long confuse duration, if you push him down far enough where Curse would trigger twice normally, he will use it back to back on successive turns, so there's no way to make him skip a phase.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

So that bookshelf puzzle on the 2nd floor of the 4th labyrinth--is anything worthwhile beyond there that I should reload my game if I blew the puzzle up by guessing too much? I haven't saved at all since starting the floor because I was also trying to do the quest there.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Sacrificial Toast posted:

So that bookshelf puzzle on the 2nd floor of the 4th labyrinth--is anything worthwhile beyond there that I should reload my game if I blew the puzzle up by guessing too much? I haven't saved at all since starting the floor because I was also trying to do the quest there.

The reward for that puzzle is 10,000en if I remember correctly.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

J posted:

Assuming you have the quests to kill the dragons, right? If you do then one of your bros should have their airship sitting there next to the dragon that you can talk to to initiate the fight with their help. If you just fly into the dragon you'll fight them with just your 5 party members. If you have the quest to kill it, and there's no airship next to it, then I don't know what the gently caress. I don't think there is any timed element, I messed around a fair amount before killing them.

The airships are there, but when I talk to them both Kirjonen and Wiglaf are all "Aw man I tried soloing that thing and it slapped my poo poo" and they don't even offer to join up. I have the kill quests, but they just ain't havin' it.

Storm Emperor I did pretty quick, too. But I'd flown through the zone a couple times by then. I dunno, maybe if you take the quest then don't do it for a few days you miss your chance for a guest member. I've tried talking to them a couple times, but they just give me encouraging words and tell me to go on ahead.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ChibiSoma posted:

The airships are there, but when I talk to them both Kirjonen and Wiglaf are all "Aw man I tried soloing that thing and it slapped my poo poo" and they don't even offer to join up. I have the kill quests, but they just ain't havin' it.
Have you been giving them items, getting all their airship parts, and helping them when they're under attack? I have no idea if that would influence whether they'll help you or not, but I did all that and they lent me a hand.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Oh man, just sticking one point of Splash or Pierce on a weapon does make them carry their status effects over to secondary targets. My Dancer is just stunning and instant killing everything with his dual wield sword dancing nonsense.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I've noticed I have an absurd stun chance on my dancer, but the skill description on sword dance said it wouldn't work on splash weapons :catstare:

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

RoboCicero posted:

I've noticed I have an absurd stun chance on my dancer, but the skill description on sword dance said it wouldn't work on splash weapons :catstare:

You're right actually. I should really pay more attention before I post these things.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Is there something I need to thaw the walls and light the torch in the Underground Lake in the Sacred Mountains?

I have a quest to get some perpetual ice for a fellow, but I'm not finding it.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Aerofallosov posted:

Is there something I need to thaw the walls and light the torch in the Underground Lake in the Sacred Mountains?

I have a quest to get some perpetual ice for a fellow, but I'm not finding it.

Go to the room with the big torch and check the ice south of it, you can only get it from inside that room.

You get the fire from the next land.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Does blade flurry just increase damage of the second attack or does it also increase the power of skills?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rascyc posted:

Does blade flurry just increase damage of the second attack or does it also increase the power of skills?
Only the second attack, and the power of free extra casts of skills from the Shadow Mastery or whatever it's called. For base skills, nope; that's just the straight power of the weapon associated with them.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I run a Nightseeker/D, Medic/A and Sniper/R and it doesn't seem like too much binding/maledicting to me. I've beaten the 3 dragons at levels 60-68~ mostly by keeping them locked down with those guys (and Geo Impact). Nerve is the golden maledict to land for the party. Primed for the Nightseeker blitz AND it can't dodge the Squall Volley. Good times. The rest of the party is a Land/B and a Fortress/D.

NINJAEDIT- have a QR code.
http://imgur.com/U5yAT3O

Ramc fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 16, 2013

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I made a horrible mistake and retired my guys after beating the dragons (Between the elemental accessories and ultimate food they're not that bad). What's the quickest way to grind back up? I tried goldening the rams and ice scythes, but it's a lot of prep work to pick up all the ingredients.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hackan Slash posted:

I made a horrible mistake and retired my guys after beating the dragons (Between the elemental accessories and ultimate food they're not that bad). What's the quickest way to grind back up? I tried goldening the rams and ice scythes, but it's a lot of prep work to pick up all the ingredients.
You can also set up an auto-walk in Dungeon 2 in one of those looping warp areas. The Hollow mobs will give 5k EXP and some change. Slap on some +Hit gear and go read a book while hitting L once in a while to activate Auto Battle.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
How the heck are you supposed to get the conditional drops on mandrakes before level 20 :psyduck:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

All my squishies are getting murdered by the 4th boss. What level were you guys at when you beat him? I may be underleveled due to the nature of the fourth stratum puzzles.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

All my squishies are getting murdered by the 4th boss. What level were you guys at when you beat him? I may be underleveled due to the nature of the fourth stratum puzzles.

My guys were pretty uniformly 45. Element guard helps with that guy, arm binds will stop his party-wide spin attack and head binds will prevent him from changing modes if he's on a face which has a weakness you really want to exploit. If it's a sheer damage problem binds will only be a partial solution since the fight will last longer than they do; if you have abilities to debuff his attack or raise your elemental defense try to keep them up, and throw some extra skill points in them if you've been holding onto some.

My win on that guy basically boiled down to throwing binds, with paralyze and confuse to lock him down for a few turns at a time once they landed. Between my RK and the guest I brought him down pretty quickly, elemental damage is the way to go this fight.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I was pretty much dead even with the guest as far as levels for that fight. Remember that he always follows a * Mixer attack with turning his head, so you have a turn to get everyone healed and resurrected in safety; this means he'll never do a * Mixer two turns in a row. He was the only boss I beat on my first attempt, though it was very close (I was completely out of TP at the end of the fight and was very glad the head explosion didn't deal enough damage to kill my Fortress when he was defending). It can be a long fight since he's only weak to one thing per face, but he also spends a lot of turns doing not a lot of damage (then uses a Mixer and blows up your Fortress). Your guest can kill him pretty much by himself as long as you know which weakness to attack and you keep the guest alive (tip: keep the guest alive).

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Wow that one huge teleporter maze on 6 2F is just starting to get frustrating. Doesn't help that the enemies are the hugest pain in the rear end ever.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

goldjas posted:

Wow that one huge teleporter maze on 6 2F is just starting to get frustrating. Doesn't help that the enemies are the hugest pain in the rear end ever.

By the time you have stepped into the huge teleporter maze you should have everything you need to know in order to traverse it without hitting a single teleport square.

Hint: Look at your map.
Bigger Hint: Look at the top 4 rooms on your map, and compare the gimmick tiles in them.

Edit: Also, I was of the opinion that 2F's enemies were there as a gentle easing-in to the enemy groups you find on 3F. Just something to look forward to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living One Post at a Time
Feb 28, 2006
Arrr!

Hackan Slash posted:

Be sure to use Holy Gift for a big EXP boost. However, apparently there is an EXP cap so you can't get more than 1 level at a time with a 5 person group. I just retired my whole team, took a couple hours of golden Icy Pincers/Omnihunters to get back to 65.

• Locked thread