Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Is Nova still the go-to launcher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AnimalChin posted:

Is Nova still the go-to launcher?
For 4.0+, yes. Or Apex. They are pretty much the same.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Found some interesting news about Drive and the Play Store.

They apparently will have a newspaper section coming for it. You can see the code in the Javascript of the web version of the Play Store. It'll probably be ready at Google I/O. The color will be yellow.

I wonder if the Newspaper app will be called "Play Newspapers". :v:

As for Drive, something extremely interesting happened today. Either by mistake or on purpose, Google released a service called Google Keep which apparently ties into Drive. It only stayed public for a half-hour.

It seems to be a renaming (and rebranding) of the old Google Notebook service that they shut down in July of 2012.

The desktop version went live today and looked pretty nice, AP got screenshots of it.

Looks like it'll definitely be ready by Google I/O and it'll probably replace Google Tasks that's integrated into Calendar. To be honest, Tasks seems so forgotten, "Google Tasks" seems like an unofficial name for it. I'm surprised it lasted this long.

The site, when it was up, didn't seem to have any integration to Drive other than the drive.google.com URL. This is probably a mistake because I couldn't see them placing the data for all these notes anywhere else but in Drive (not to mention the URL).

Looks like there will also be a Google Keep app as well. AP's source found that there is a Play Store link to a Google Keep app. This is kind of weird for a service that will no doubt be a part of Drive itself...but okay. I like new apps anyway.

Looks like Google accidentally outed Keep back in 2012 in a screenshot on their official Google+. It shows that you can send pages to Google Keep as well. So, it wouldn't JUST be for note-taking, but for keeping pages offline.

This would explain why we've never gotten a an Offline Page section for Chrome, despite Chrome now being the default browser for Jelly Bean on up.

It looks like Google Keep will finally kill off Google Tasks and replace a feature in the AOSP Browser as well.

May can't get here fast enough...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/03/15/introducing-google-play-news-a-newspaper-section-is-on-its-way-to-the-play-store/

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/03/17/google-keep-spotted-in-drive-source-code-is-google-taking-another-shot-at-a-note-taking-service/

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/03/17/google-keep-is-live-google-launches-a-note-taking-service/

fake edit: Unfortunately, I didn't get to use the site myself, so I have to rely on AP's screenshots. :( Kinda bummed I didn't get to use it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Keep looks nice. That means I can drop Catch.com and Pocket.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So I've gotten tired of Flow being retarded with double letters and punctuation and wanted to switch back to Swype. My beta trial had expired and the updater is broken, and the original stock version apparently got removed by the official 4.1 update to my phone (S2 LTE/Skyrocket). When I try to download a new APK from beta.swype.com though my phone refuses to acknowledge it as installable. The old Swype APKs on my phone still work, so I don't think anything has changed locally.

Any ideas? Googling didn't seem to bring up anything wrong.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'm currently using Cool Reader for ebooks but it doesn't support pdf files.

Any suggestions on the best reader for them?

And a second question, are any readers able to text-wrap pdf pages? (unsure whether that's the right term for it. I want to be able to read an A4 pdf page on my phone without zooming in and out and scrolling around a bunch.)

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

teethgrinder posted:

So I've gotten tired of Flow being retarded with double letters and punctuation and wanted to switch back to Swype. My beta trial had expired and the updater is broken, and the original stock version apparently got removed by the official 4.1 update to my phone (S2 LTE/Skyrocket). When I try to download a new APK from beta.swype.com though my phone refuses to acknowledge it as installable. The old Swype APKs on my phone still work, so I don't think anything has changed locally.

Try Kii?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

huh posted:

And a second question, are any readers able to text-wrap pdf pages? (unsure whether that's the right term for it. I want to be able to read an A4 pdf page on my phone without zooming in and out and scrolling around a bunch.)
On the first, are you on a phone or a tablet? I've found the Kindle app to be completely fine for PDFs on my tablet, but a bit unwieldy on my phone. And on text-wrapping, I don't know about apps specifically, but I'm pretty sure it depends on the PDF too, whether it's actually text or just images of pages.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
If Keep does a proper job of task lists and has a good app then it can't get here soon enough - Tasks is so frustrating in that it's just complete enough to let you see how awesome it could have been if only they'd actually finished it.

I just hope Keep integrates with the calendar in android.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

TetsuoTW posted:

On the first, are you on a phone or a tablet? I've found the Kindle app to be completely fine for PDFs on my tablet, but a bit unwieldy on my phone. And on text-wrapping, I don't know about apps specifically, but I'm pretty sure it depends on the PDF too, whether it's actually text or just images of pages.

Oh, tablet for sure.

I hadn't even considered the Kindle app. I'll check it out.

I'm not even sure it's possible to text-wrap a pdf but it'd sure be handy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

So when you try to download from the page the page says the phone isn't compatible or the APK downloads but won't install on your device?

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

myron cope posted:

I'm looking for an app to listen to hockey games, requiring listening to one specific station. iHeartRadio seems to work--at least it will load the station (TuneIn wouldn't load it at all). The NHL doesn't seem to block games from the radio like the NFL (and MLB?) does. So thanks!

I think they're supposed to black out the Internet streams, you just found a station too lazy to do it. I know I pulled up every CBJ radio affiliate in iHeartRadio to see if they were streaming, and they weren't.

If worse comes to worse, the NHL Gamecenter app has radio feeds for $5.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Verizon customers get some sort of free upgrade for the rest of this season just FYI to any NHL fans who wanna use the gamecenter app.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

LastInLine posted:

So when you try to download from the page the page says the phone isn't compatible or the APK downloads but won't install on your device?
APK downloads but won't install. Nova wants to open it as a backup, or an emulator wants to open it as a rom. Other APKs are fine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

APK downloads but won't install. Nova wants to open it as a backup, or an emulator wants to open it as a rom. Other APKs are fine.
Try opening it in ES. It will be in your download folder.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Well that worked. Very strange. Thank you!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

MrC posted:

I think they're supposed to black out the Internet streams, you just found a station too lazy to do it. I know I pulled up every CBJ radio affiliate in iHeartRadio to see if they were streaming, and they weren't.

If worse comes to worse, the NHL Gamecenter app has radio feeds for $5.

Really? Because I can go to the Pens website or the station's site and both will let me listen to games. The Penguins have an app and there's a radio button in it, it just doesn't work so well which is why I was looking for a replacement. I did forget about gamecenter though. I already paid for video, the radio stuff should be included

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Does anyone know if the autoguard blackbox pro's background recording feature works with the Nexus 4? I am thinking of buying the pro version, but it has a disclaimer that background recording doesn't work with all phones and that worries me.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

myron cope posted:

Really? Because I can go to the Pens website or the station's site and both will let me listen to games. The Penguins have an app and there's a radio button in it, it just doesn't work so well which is why I was looking for a replacement. I did forget about gamecenter though. I already paid for video, the radio stuff should be included

Strange, the Jackets have the stream for free on their website as well, but if you go to the flagship's website, it's blocked.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/reply-and-search-faster-with-gmail-app.html

HOLY gently caress FINALLY

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Holy poo poo. This was quickly rising up my list of Google annoyances.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

Holy poo poo. This was quickly rising up my list of Google annoyances.

Now they need to merge CM's SMS changes as well because they are good, awesome and useful. Probably not going to happen though since Messaging isn't Play dependent :saddowns:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

At first I thought you were excited for that concert too. :v:

This is amazing news though. I wonder if it's got the iOS look to it this time and a better integration with Calendar (and I think Maps).

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That's cool.

My new nuisance is that the updated My Tracks app is supposed to automatically sync the data to Drive (if you enable the option), but it doesn't. I have to force it by sharing the track with another of my email addresses.

I need it to geotag my photos. I used to use Instamapper but that service closed down in December without a word.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Is there an RSS reader with some or all of these features?
  • grouping similar articles from different sources (I have six different news sites/blogs in my feedly, and I don't really care to read all six versions of more or less the same story)
  • hide articles based on keywords i specify (for example, a bunch of different articles about Lindsay Lohan just showed up in my feedly)
  • mark articles as important based on keywords i specify (basically the opposite of the previous feature)

Ideally, for the last two, i would want some sort of automatic filtering based on my habits, with the option for me to tweak manually, but even just manual filtering alone would be great.

Sorry if this has already been addressed in the thread, I did a search and couldn't find any discussion of these types of features.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

If it doesn't also mark it as read when it archives it I'm still going to be annoyed.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like the new Gmail crashes Light Flow repeatedly. Not sure why it just refuses to run or anything. I submitted a trouble ticket and uninstalled the app in the meantime.

If you don't uninstall, it'll still leave the notification in your tray and it'll come back constantly.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like the new Gmail crashes Light Flow repeatedly. Not sure why it just refuses to run or anything. I submitted a trouble ticket and uninstalled the app in the meantime.

If you don't uninstall, it'll still leave the notification in your tray and it'll come back constantly.

Can't you just disable the notification in Light Flow?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

LastInLine posted:

If it doesn't also mark it as read when it archives it I'm still going to be annoyed.

Of course, threads I archive on the phone will continue to not be archived in the web client. No idea why that is, but it's annoying as hell.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Prepare to be annoyed.

fivre posted:

Of course, threads I archive on the phone will continue to not be archived in the web client. No idea why that is, but it's annoying as hell.
Your poo poo is broken. Works here (although I should mention it takes the web client about 3-5 minutes to catch up).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Odette posted:

Can't you just disable the notification in Light Flow?

It's not even possible to open the Light Flow app. I can try reinstalling it and trying that though. I already miss it.

e: I reinstalled and it allowed me to open the app and I disabled it. Looks like it's working fine for now. Thanks!

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 18, 2013

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Prepare to be annoyed.
Really? We need a google smiley like :dice:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Speaking of the Gmail app, has anyone else had an issue where the contents of the priority inbox won't display until you've changed the orientation of the phone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fivre posted:

I know lots of people have problems with sync and GMail but I've never had any kind of issue with it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Dark One posted:

Speaking of the Gmail app, has anyone else had an issue where the contents of the priority inbox won't display until you've changed the orientation of the phone?

The only problems I've had is that sending any type of attachment with it will usually take about two hours or more to actually send if I send via the app.

Sending through the Gmail site is instantaneous.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

huh posted:

Aldiko, Mantano. Just swapped from the forest to the second, but functionality is roughly the same.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

What did you do to fix this? You just reinstalled Light Flow?

I have a Verizon Note 2. I am rooted. Using Beans Rom v10. I MIGHT have had inverted gmail installed, but it wasn't dark themed, so maybe not. I mention that because I never got the update for the new gmail, so I uninstalled Gmail then reinstalled via the Play Store to get the new one. Not sure if any of this matters but figure it may.

But now whenever I get a new mail notification for Gmail it crashed Light Flow like you. I cleared app data to reset it, no dice. I uninstalled and then reinstalled, no dice. I reinstalled and turned off the notification in Light Flow and it does the same somehow.

e: one weird thing I noticed, is that while the notification is up saying that Light Flow has crashed the gmail notification is the older one, with no controls in the notification menu. I just cleared the App Data again for Light Flow, which removed the memo saying it was crashed, and the new email now has the new controls..

e2: oh nice, they fixed it via update already.

CancerStick fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 18, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like the gmail update completely broke Light Flow. Even if you remove notifications for gmail for Light Flow, it still crashes repeatedly.

Nexus 4, stock and unrooted, Android 4.2.2.

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat
Light Flow have just released an update that fixes the Gmail crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lightbulb Grease posted:

Light Flow have just released an update that fixes the Gmail crash.

That was fast! Thanks for the heads up.

• Locked thread