Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

BrianWilly posted:

Is it just me or does Ashley's face somehow look better in ME1 as well? Most of the ME1 faces don't stand up very well nowadays, but Ashley's always felt more expressive in ME1 despite her ME3 face being obviously more detailed.

Ashley in ME1 actually looked like a soldier and not Space Marine Barbie.

Actually, the exact words used in the official art book are "we let her hair down and gave her sex appeal". :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I didn't mind the long hair so much, but giving her a mini-skirt (at least you didn't have to use that outfit) and apparently having her constantly use lip-gloss was pretty depressing.

I legitimately thought she was an oddly re-modeled Miranda the first time I saw her in ME3.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Ashley and Allers both look like they've been repeatedly stunned by bees.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just a quick note that if you're replaying ME1 like I am right now, do Bring Down the Sky as soon as you leave Citadel.

- You'll gain like 5 levels minimum
- You get a massive Paragon/Renegade boost
- You can get a decent Biotic Amp (on the body of one of the Engineers)
- You can get just about the best Omni-Tool in the entire game (give it to Tali and let her kill all the things with her now nonexistant cooldowns)
- You get to shoot Batarians

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I liked Ashley's face back before Mass Effect 1 was released, but everyone complained about her looking too 'mannish'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

I liked Ashley's face back before Mass Effect 1 was released, but everyone complained about her looking too 'mannish'.

Reminds me of the numerous mods for DA2 to make Aveline 'prettier'.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dan Didio posted:

I think she looks fine in 1, but in some scenes her lips really do look weirdly big.

Kaidan is a handsome fellow and I will hear nothing bad said about him. :colbert:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

precision posted:

I think she looks fine in 1, but in some scenes her lips really do look weirdly big.

Yeah, they changed her face from how it was in some pre-release materials because people complained. Ashley's gone through three or four faces at this point.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm a little disappointed they never bring up Ashley's faith again in 3. I thought the conversation you have with her about religion in 1 was pretty well done (unless I'm totally mis-remembering it).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PunkBoy posted:

I'm a little disappointed they never bring up Ashley's faith again in 3. I thought the conversation you have with her about religion in 1 was pretty well done (unless I'm totally mis-remembering it).

There are conversations with Mordin in 2 and Padak Wiks in 3 about spirituality that are just as good, though.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

precision posted:

There are conversations with Mordin in 2 and Padak Wiks in 3 about spirituality that are just as good, though.

Hm, been a while since I played 2, but I probably did enjoy the Mordin ones. Never did hear the Wiks one, though.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

PunkBoy posted:

There was supposed to be a conversation between her and Shepard about death and afterlife, but it got cut. Pretty sure there's some slides out there.

Fake edit: Here

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Padok Wiks is probably a reference to creepy fans too. Ask him about Krogan sex.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm trying to replay ME1 for the first time since ME2 came out but I get frustrated with the combat every time and just load up 3's MP to kill some dudes. Even on normal it isn't very well done by today's(and later game's) standards.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

The Unnamed One posted:

There was supposed to be a conversation between her and Shepard about death and afterlife, but it got cut. Pretty sure there's some slides out there.

Thanks! Sad the scene was cut, though. :(

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Unnamed One posted:

That is actually a pretty decent scene.

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
I have a quick DLC question. So I have all 3 games on PC now and I'm hoping to do a playthrough of all three in sucession at some point this year. I was curious what the necessary story DLC's for each game were. Also, does the DLC ever go on sale? I don't feel like dropping $10-15 a pop, especially as pissed as I am at EA right now over Simcity.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Camaro83 posted:

I have a quick DLC question. So I have all 3 games on PC now and I'm hoping to do a playthrough of all three in sucession at some point this year. I was curious what the necessary story DLC's for each game were. Also, does the DLC ever go on sale? I don't feel like dropping $10-15 a pop, especially as pissed as I am at EA right now over Simcity.

The DLC has NEVER gone on sale as far as I know, and always requires Bioware Points to purchase. It's incredibly frustrating, especially if like me you came to ME3 late and wanted to prepare by playing through all the ME2 story DLC that you never picked up earlier.

mid83
Oct 15, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

The DLC has NEVER gone on sale as far as I know, and always requires Bioware Points to purchase. It's incredibly frustrating, especially if like me you came to ME3 late and wanted to prepare by playing through all the ME2 story DLC that you never picked up earlier.

Well that's BS.

Screw it then. I had enough fun playing the games vanilla and I'll just do that again. I'm not dropping $100+ on old DLC.

Edit: Just another on the list of a million reasons why Origin is such a failure as a platform.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Camaro83 posted:

None of the content adds much to the story for ME1. Some of it gets mentioned from time to time, but it's probably not worth the extra money, in my opinion.

For ME2, Arrival plays into what happens in the story between 2 and 3. Overlord is a neat little story in itself but won't be relevant for 99% of the rest of the game(s). Be sure to get the two downloadable characters. They're both worth it.

All of the DLC for ME3 except for maybe Omega are pretty worthwhile. From Ashes gives you a cool party member who was strangely cut out from the vanilla game. Leviathan gives you some background to a seemingly out-of-left-field ending to the whole series. Citadel is worth every drat penny. Don't let anyone ever tell you differently.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

TheLoser posted:

From Ashes gives you a cool party member who was strangely cut out from the vanilla game.
I think we all know exactly why he was cut from vanilla.

I would strongly recommend Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Elysiume posted:

I think we all know exactly why he was cut from vanilla.

...because the script that featured him as a prominent, necessary character was altered long before release?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Probably a dumb question but when you first talk to Liara on the Normandy and she asks about resuming your relationship does that actually lock you out of rekindling your ME2 one? The wording of it seemed like Bioware wanted you to be able to draw her along until you found the other one and had to actually decide.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

IcePhoenix posted:

Probably a dumb question but when you first talk to Liara on the Normandy and she asks about resuming your relationship does that actually lock you out of rekindling your ME2 one? The wording of it seemed like Bioware wanted you to be able to draw her along until you found the other one and had to actually decide.

You can say yes but you won't be locked in until later in the game at which point you can resume your ME2 romance. If you say no right away on the Normandy then it ends there.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Speaking of locking in romances, in my latest ME1 game I... kind of... accidentally banged Kaidan. I was just trying to be polite! Anyway, how do I make sure I stay with Garrus in ME3?

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Rincewind posted:

Speaking of locking in romances, in my latest ME1 game I... kind of... accidentally banged Kaidan. I was just trying to be polite! Anyway, how do I make sure I stay with Garrus in ME3?

At some point in ME2, you can just start a relationship with Garrus or whoever else without issue. You meet Ashley/Kaiden a grand total of once in the whole game.

Keep that going into ME3. Kaiden will probably ask about your relationship and you can stay friends to play with his emotions. You monster.

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
God there is a lot of DLC for ME2 and ME3....I just looked at the list on Bioware's site and here is what looks to be story DLC

ME2:
Arrival $7
Shadow Broker $10
Overlord $7
Kasumi $7

ME3:
Citadel $15
Omega $15
Leviathan $10
From Ashes $10

So basically $31 for ME2 and $50 for ME3 DLC. How much of this crap is necessary? I still can't believe I'd have to drop another $81 to get the "complete" experience of ME2 and ME3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Camaro83 posted:

God there is a lot of DLC for ME2 and ME3....I just looked at the list on Bioware's site and here is what looks to be story DLC

ME2:
Arrival $7
Shadow Broker $10
Overlord $7
Kasumi $7

ME3:
Citadel $15
Omega $15
Leviathan $10
From Ashes $10

So basically $31 for ME2 and $50 for ME3 DLC. How much of this crap is necessary? I still can't believe I'd have to drop another $81 to get the "complete" experience of ME2 and ME3.

Everything except Omega, really. And there's two $3 weapon packs for ME3 that're worth picking up.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

My main FemShep actually did dump Kaidan in ME2 and went for Garrus. I feel it's sort of justified with how bad Shepard's meeting with Kaidan went in ME2.

I tried to do the same with my Renegade BroShep, dumping Ashley for Jack. I picked the Renegade option with Jack, though, so he went back to Ash in ME3. He is a Spacer, so maybe he just likes to keep in the military. His mom is probably happy with this anyway.

Camaro83 posted:

ME2:
Arrival $7
Shadow Broker $10
Overlord $7
Kasumi $7

ME3:
Citadel $15
Omega $15
Leviathan $10
From Ashes $10

For ME2, just get Shadow Broker at least. It's the best one, and has the best after-DLC bonus. For ME3, the 'necessary' ones are both From Ashes and Citadel.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I am a big fan of overlord. Arrival is neat but skippable.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Camaro83 posted:

Citadel is necessary for ME3. Shadow Broker is also very good.

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
I decided to fire up ME1 after looking up all the DLC. I haven't played it since release week on the 360 back in what...07/08? It's amazing to see how far the series improved from a technical perspective from ME1 to ME3.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Camaro83 posted:

I decided to fire up ME1 after looking up all the DLC. I haven't played it since release week on the 360 back in what...07/08? It's amazing to see how far the series improved from a technical perspective from ME1 to ME3.

Make sure to take note of how many lines there are that actually do hint at the ending of the trilogy and the explanation for "why the Reapers reap".

I'm not saying it makes the endings better, or that it was totally intentional, but in retrospect there are some very explicit hints dropped. Particularly when Tali says that the Geth, being synthetic, have no use for any organic life, ever, and want to wipe it all out.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

precision posted:

Make sure to take note of how many lines there are that actually do hint at the ending of the trilogy and the explanation for "why the Reapers reap".

I'm not saying it makes the endings better, or that it was totally intentional, but in retrospect there are some very explicit hints dropped. Particularly when Tali says that the Geth, being synthetic, have no use for any organic life, ever, and want to wipe it all out.

Tali, who is also an incredible anti-synthetic racist during the events of ME1, and is proven wrong by Legion in ME2, whose growth as a character comes from turning away from her anti-synthetic beliefs?

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
It is cool putting things together in a 2nd playthrough since you pick up on stuff you wouldn't have the first time.

Oh and I'm going full Renegade this time since I went Paragon in ME1-ME3 before. Renegade sure is fun to play.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Tali, who is also an incredible anti-synthetic racist during the events of ME1, and is proven wrong by Legion in ME2, whose growth as a character comes from turning away from her anti-synthetic beliefs?

The main thing that makes me sad is:

Sovereign: Each of us is a nation unto itself.

Because... welp. :smith:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Camaro83 posted:

None of this stuff is necessary, really. You can play straight vanilla and have a good time, and there wouldn't be any plot holes as a result.

Personally I only purchased Citadel. I suggest that you delay thoughts about buying DLC until after finishing ME2. Then you can better gauge how much you want to invest, both in time and money.

Adding all the dlc will basically double the length of what are already very long games, so it might not be for you.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 18, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Milky Moor posted:

Well that's just one example. There really are a ton of lines that hint at the ending explanation we got. Like I said, I don't claim to know how intentional it was, but it really is there.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Dan Didio posted:

...because the script that featured him as a prominent, necessary character was altered long before release?

Wait, are you suggesting the reason he was removed *wasn't* just so they could squeeze more money out of the players by removing a character who is obviously part of the vanilla storyline?

e: ok, come up with a better reason, because I certainly can't.

precision posted:

This is why I didn't understand why people suggested the Leviathan DLC for understanding the reapers motivations better. All it did was spell out explicitly what they had been layering in since ME1. For me it was a bit of buzzkill, being handheld towards conclusions you could draw just by thinking about the story.

rypakal fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I think I am. Yeah. As I understand it, that is the reason that has been given, it corrolates with what we know of previous versions of the game's script and development and Javik isn't important to the game's narrative or central to it's events at all in the final product.

A lot of the reason why there's content for him in the game is that they'd begun development with him as a character in mind, but cut him from the final release of the game a signficant time before release; which makes sense, given how rushed and crazy the development's crunch time apparently ended up being.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 18, 2013

• Locked thread