Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Oh, I'm pretty sure we'll be around 4-5 players, it just sucks to leave someone out if the game doesn't support teamplay.

e: I settled on Flash Point, 7 Wonders and The Resistance. Partially due to price, but also availability. Thanks for the advice, the games that didn't make it this time goes on my board game list :)

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I think 7 Wonders is really good for beginners and is fun all around. It also has nice depth and the expansions are not overwhelming but worth having once you are tired of the base game. At least the Leaders expansion is really nice... Cities is kind of a mixed bag.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pimpmust posted:

Oh, I'm pretty sure we'll be around 4-5 players, it just sucks to leave someone out if the game doesn't support teamplay.

e: I settled on Flash Point, 7 Wonders and The Resistance. Partially due to price, but also availability. Thanks for the advice, the games that didn't make it this time goes on my board game list :)

It's a good set for 5+, to be honest. FP for coop, 7 wonders for solitairish quick, and The Resistance for the sneakiest backbiting mafia game that can be played live and be actually fun.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

EVIR Gibson posted:

It's funny because the first time we played it, we were durdling around trying to figure things out when Khorne won by VP.

It's actually somewhat possible to win with Khorne via VP or at least pretend to against seasoned players. In the beginning double down with 1 cost cultists in the highest value region. Since you're Khorne everyone will avoid the region so you'll pretty much easily dominate/corrupt it to holy hell and back. If they decide to move in, that's when you dump your warriors. This trick only really works if you're lucky enough to have those cheap free battle cards in your beginning hand just so you can still lock things down.

Make drat sure you get at least a spin dial though especially in the beginning since that's still the best path. That's always far more important than anything else since this trick is pretty gimmicky as it forces people to deal with you and your destruction of a valuable area.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Pimpmust posted:

TtR and Carcassonne is probably pretty close to the level of complexity and style, but I'm open for expanding my views. Don't really have much experience.

5 players is probably a minimum.
Not too complex, these people do not have much experience with anything but the most vanilla games (and more of the quiz style games).
Competitive games are fine (but perhaps not Diplomacy levels :v:)
Less than 2 hours of play time, or simultaneous turns (which is a plus either way).
Staying away from overly Card based games is probably best.

As I said earlier I'm getting Flash Point, so either something rather different from that and Ttr, or complementary.

I'm partial to Agricola myself but for very new board gamers it may be somewhat overwhelming. The family rules do help some.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

gently caress yeah, just found out I was one of the winners in that CoolStuffInc contest for Expedition. Got a $50 gift cert!

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Crackbone posted:

I don't know of anybody counterfeiting board games, but generally I've yet to see a deal on ebay that somebody like CoolStuffInc or Miniaturemarket can't beat (assuming you're in the US).

Be wary of buying from boardgamegeek.com's marketplace. I got screwed two ways-- one, because the seller gets to add shipping AFTER the deal is made, and two, because the seller doesn't HAVE to add pics.

I should have asked for a shipping quote and should have asked for pics first. It took almost a month for me to receive my copy of Claustrophobia through there, the dude shipped it Parcel Post and charged me almost $20 for shipping, and when it got here it was in much much worse condition than mentioned (the box was destroyed and it was incomplete). Asmodee isn't great with customer service either, so now I'm short tokens and a card for this game.

There's not a big market for counterfeit traditional board games. Counterfeit CCG and counterfit GW bits however are all over.

On an unrelated note, what's the opinion on Smash Up? I'm looking for another quick, relatively inexpensive 2 player game to play with my wife. I already picked up Carcassonne and she loves it.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 18, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There actually are counterfeit board games but I don't think it's a big problem.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Verdugo posted:

There's not a big market for counterfeit traditional board games. Counterfeit CCG and counterfit GW bits however are all over.

On an unrelated note, what's the opinion on Smash Up? I'm looking for another quick, relatively inexpensive 2 player game to play with my wife. I already picked up Carcassonne and she loves it.

I've seen people make counterfeit boards for games like TTR and Power Grid, but I don't think they're trying to sell them. I just look at them with pity.

Smash Up is silly and light, but I think I prefer Blood Bowl Team Manager as the same sort of light area control game. I enjoy both, but I don't feel the need to own both. Smash Up probably has bigger balance issues, though (Zombie Robots being the culprit).

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Panzeh posted:

Republic of Rome peeps(I don't want to do it with anything less than 4):

What days would you be available? I can be available most nights except early Thursday evening and Friday night.

I would think we would have to start sometime around 8pm EST to catch everyone during the evening.

At 8 EST I could be available any day of the week, but I thought someone mentioned they were GMT. Maybe hitting 11 AM EST on a weekend would be better for them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

12 am on a weekday might be a bit difficult for me.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I've got Space Alert and plan to bust it out more often, but for when we want slower paced stuff that isn't too long the only thing I have is Dominion which is nice but could get old fast. I'd like maybe another traitor type game like BSG and have seen Room 25 mentioned. Would that be good with only 3 people?

If not, throw some recommendations my way. 3 player, About an hour - 1 1/2 playtime (can vary a litte, but no BSG long type games) and I'm not looking to spend a huge amount of money (roughly 50-60 bux would be my max).

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

The Black Stones posted:

I've got Space Alert and plan to bust it out more often, but for when we want slower paced stuff that isn't too long the only thing I have is Dominion which is nice but could get old fast. I'd like maybe another traitor type game like BSG and have seen Room 25 mentioned. Would that be good with only 3 people?

If not, throw some recommendations my way. 3 player, About an hour - 1 1/2 playtime (can vary a litte, but no BSG long type games) and I'm not looking to spend a huge amount of money (roughly 50-60 bux would be my max).

Room 25 won't work with 3. Traitor mode starts with 4 players. If if recall correctly you could play coop with 3.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

My group's current 3 player favorites: Alien Frontiers (dice placement, fun theme), Castles of Burgundy (sometimes this is very cheap, and it's a great, deep game), Sentinels of the Multiverse (comic book co-op), Tigris & Euphrates (strategic brain-burner, not sure on price), and we're really liking Among the Stars and Glen More too (though those are both very new to the group). Might also be worth checking out Lords of Waterdeep (though I like it more with 4).

I definitely like Room 25 more with 4, though it does play with 3 (it has a ton of different modes, but I like Suspicion (traitor) with 4 the most - the straight co-op mode feels a bit bland).

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

jmzero posted:

Sentinels of the Multiverse (comic book co-op)

My friends love comic book stuff, this might be a good buy. Looking online, there's a whole bunch of expansion stuff. Should I bother with any of it right off the bat?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

My friends love comic book stuff, this might be a good buy. Looking online, there's a whole bunch of expansion stuff. Should I bother with any of it right off the bat?

The game is very modular - you each pick a hero deck, you pick one villain deck, and an environment deck, and you go. The expansions mostly just increase your range of choices (new heroes, tons of new villains). There's plenty of variety (and tons of challenge if you want it) with just the starter box (10 heroes, 4 villains, 4 environments - you could actually play 2 or 3 games at once with all those decks), so I'd definitely just grab that first and then see whether you want to add more later.

Personally, my first couple plays convinced me it was a keeper (and I've ordered a bunch of expansion stuff), but there's no reason not to try out just the main set first.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Someone good with math go!

Core Game: 10 Heroes, 8 Villains, 4 Environments
Rook City: 2 Heroes, 4 Villains 2 Environments
Infernal Relics: 2 Heroes, 4 Villains 2 Environments
Shattered Timelines: 2 Heroes, 4 Villains 2 Environments
Mini Expansion: 2 Heroes, 2 Villains, 2 Environments
Promos: 8 Alternate Heroes, 2 Alternate Villains
Yet to be released expansion: 5 Heroes, 5 Villains, 2 Environments

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

djfooboo posted:

Someone good with math go!

Core Game: 10 Heroes, 8 Villains, 4 Environments
Rook City: 2 Heroes, 4 Villains 2 Environments
Infernal Relics: 2 Heroes, 4 Villains 2 Environments
Shattered Timelines: 2 Heroes, 4 Villains 2 Environments
Mini Expansion: 2 Heroes, 2 Villains, 2 Environments
Promos: 8 Alternate Heroes, 2 Alternate Villains
Yet to be released expansion: 5 Heroes, 5 Villains, 2 Environments

What was the mini expansion?

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 19, 2013

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

31 Heroes, 29 Villains, 16 Environments - we'll assume 5 heroes in the game.

That's (31 * 30 * 29 * 28 * 27 / 5 * 4 * 3 * 2) heroes * 29 villains * 16 environments = 78,838,704 possible setups

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

ack posted:

Room 25 won't work with 3. Traitor mode starts with 4 players. If if recall correctly you could play coop with 3.

You can also plays 2 v 2 v 2 competitive or 1 v 1 v 1 with resurrection (if you die you come back as one of the remaining roles in the center square. Or you can each play 2 characters and draw from a bag with 3 pieces (2 cooperative, 1 traitor role) and the person who is traitor controls 2 traitors. In a lot of ways, it's easier to hide who the traitor is if it's one guy than if it's two people controlling 2 different characters.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 19, 2013

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!
Is there any way to make science not bullshit in 7 Wonders? It's handily won the last three games at my game night, although that may be because I'm the only one trying to deny science at all by building wonders w/science cards, discarding them or whatever. The players next to the science guy (different people every game) just keep handing him green cards. I guess I could try just building science as well, but I feel like that makes us both lose to something else that got to build more efficiently.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Clockwork Beast! posted:

that may be because I'm the only one trying to deny science at all by building wonders w/science cards, discarding them or whatever.

Ding ding ding. Science tends to be a high risk/high reward strategy in 7 Wonders, since you could end up with a mediocre 10 points, which is sorta normal, or you could end up with like 50 points from it, which means everyone else at the table is pretty much feeding someone the game. You have to tell people not to feed, or else they are being bad at 7 Wonders to the detriment of everyone else at the table. The easiest way to hate draft is to just bury cards to build your wonder.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Just played Seasons tonight. I really liked it from the first play... wondering how it feels after multiple plays. Is it any fun with two players? We played with four tonight.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

systran posted:

Just played Seasons tonight. I really liked it from the first play... wondering how it feels after multiple plays. Is it any fun with two players? We played with four tonight.

I actually liked it a lot more 2 player. The dead hand drafting kind of sucks, though.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Paper Kaiju posted:

What was the mini expansion?

Guess it should have been plural, but I was speaking of the 6 full promo decks: Unity, Ambuscade, Silver Gulch, Final Wasteland, The Scholar, and Miss Information.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Is there any way to make science not bullshit in 7 Wonders?

How many people in the game? Even with 4 people, 2 people should reasonably be in Science. You shouldn't be relying on people burning/wondering Science; sure that may happen sometimes, but if you're spending much effort hate drafting you're generally losing. If people are consistently doing well with heavy Science, more people should be in it.

Overall, it's very self-balancing. If not enough people go Science, it's too good. If people start overvaluing Science, it can become pretty bad. I think most groups probably go through both those phases before settling down. It's worth noting that Science is not all or none - dipping into Science for 10 or 20 points fits well into a lot of different resource-light strategy (especially with some leader support).

Once your group has a reasonable overall skill level, you shouldn't notice balance problems with Science; it'll tend to pay off about the same as other stuff.

Also, if you're playing with 6, you need to switch to teams... it's such a better game that we may never do single-player again.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Echophonic posted:

I actually liked it a lot more 2 player. The dead hand drafting kind of sucks, though.

What does dead hand drafting mean?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

systran posted:

What does dead hand drafting mean?

Basically passing hands to phantom players to remove a random card from before the other player gets them. I'm sure there's a better term for it.

It's dull and takes too long to do. I also am not convinced that drafting helps Seasons that much, but I haven't played a lot of it.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

The End posted:

It's a bloody great game. I've played it 6 player and 4 player and it really is such an elegant design.

Got a 4 player planned for Wednesday night and definitely looking forward to it. The last two player game I played snowballed out of control after I picked up the ancient power source on a Turn 2 ancient kill and put it on a dreadnought. I promptly built another one and had the center by turn 5 with plasma cannons and improved hull. I then proceeded to destroy my friends carrier fleet with 2 starbases by sheer luck, which led to me taking four of his systems before the end of the game. Score ended up being like 35 - 6 :/

He was pissed, but eager to try again :D (He won the first game we played).

Interesting to note that he had the best hex draws at the beginning but getting lucky with ancient ship parts can really help you take center early.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
Made a few new purchases today. Tried out Room 25 and Judge Dredd at my FLGS. Room 25 was bought on Amazon a few hours later and just an hour ago I won an auction for Judge Dredd on eBay. Judge Dredd was fun for a 30 year old licensed game, very Munchkin-esque (although that might be a bad way to describe it) in how players interact with each other via cards played, but there are fewer cards to directly gently caress with people, although the ones that do can be substantially bad for them (such as invalidating a player's movement or causing a high value criminal to abandon combat and be removed from the game.) It really feels like the kind of game that is about due for a modern retooling by a company like FFG. Also picked up Race for the Galaxy today at the store.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
I was glancing through the thread and didn't find anything particular about this... How many of us are going to PAX East? I'm bringing my trunk full of games and am going to be looking for people to play with all weekend. You can tweet me @fizzster if you want to meet up

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Clockwork Beast! posted:

Is there any way to make science not bullshit in 7 Wonders? It's handily won the last three games at my game night, although that may be because I'm the only one trying to deny science at all by building wonders w/science cards, discarding them or whatever. The players next to the science guy (different people every game) just keep handing him green cards. I guess I could try just building science as well, but I feel like that makes us both lose to something else that got to build more efficiently.

Science is actually kinda lovely in the base game.

Tell your friends to pay more attention to the rest of the table.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

It's an amazing game, but you should be able to get good mileage out of the base set and make sure it's working for you and your friends before you spend on the expansions. They aren't like expansions for some other games where they introduce new game-wide mechanics that fix crucial flaws in the original game or whatever. It's just more of the same awesome stuff you get in the base set. Just be really sure to buy the Enhanced Edition - some vendors are still selling the original printing. The EE has a much more capacious box, higher print quality, errata integration, tokens for HP and status effects, and some other niceties that aren't in the original version.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Didn't see it posted, but the new Flash Point expansion Kickstarter has been up. A few new boards (mechanic's garage and 2 story laboratory) with a few new mechanics- 1) floor damage, 2) fire proof doors and 2) an elevator/lift. The art is the same as previous maps, but the smaller levels are compatible with 2nd story (to make it 4 stories I guess? or 3?). There will be new monochromatic meeples with different looks to them (one holding a hose, another an ax etc).

Early rewards include more realistic victim art etc.

Disappointed there hasn't been new art for the floors/boards and that the new box doesn't hold the main game and all expansions, but the new box does hold all 3 expansions in it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I played Eclipse for the third time ever (I first played it when it came out) and I'm still completely ambivalent about it. I like how you upgrade ships, I like how you use actions/keep track of resources, but I hate the random tile draws, the fact that some rewards are much better than others, the fact that you can still be in the running without interacting with other players at all and mostly I hate the dice-based X+ combat. Still, it's an easy to play game but I just don't feel like it's one that I would play over and over again.

lindeberg
Feb 5, 2013

Lost in space

Pimpmust posted:

I know I am late to recommend, but one of my favorite games of all times is Puerto Rico. It is perhaps the game that inspired a lot of the other games with similar mechanics (all players take actions, no dice, multiple win conditions and generally scales from 3-5 people. I haven't read much about it in this thread, so do people consider it too old?

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Fizzle posted:

I was glancing through the thread and didn't find anything particular about this... How many of us are going to PAX East? I'm bringing my trunk full of games and am going to be looking for people to play with all weekend. You can tweet me @fizzster if you want to meet up

I think you're the fourth person I've seen reference PAX East. I'll be there, along with a non-goon RL friend who is my main gaming partner in crime, doing a lot of board gaming and RPG gaming. There have also been posts by BlueInkAlchemist and EVIR Gibson.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

lindeberg posted:

I know I am late to recommend, but one of my favorite games of all times is Puerto Rico. It is perhaps the game that inspired a lot of the other games with similar mechanics (all players take actions, no dice, multiple win conditions and generally scales from 3-5 people. I haven't read much about it in this thread, so do people consider it too old?

I don't think anyone would try to argue that it's a bad game. I just find that there are a couple of clearly dominant strategies, and once you figure them out it's just going through the motions every game. That and there isn't enough variability in the base game, mixing in buildings from the expansions is the only way I can stand to play anymore.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

malkav11 posted:

It's an amazing game, but you should be able to get good mileage out of the base set and make sure it's working for you and your friends before you spend on the expansions. They aren't like expansions for some other games where they introduce new game-wide mechanics that fix crucial flaws in the original game or whatever. It's just more of the same awesome stuff you get in the base set. Just be really sure to buy the Enhanced Edition - some vendors are still selling the original printing. The EE has a much more capacious box, higher print quality, errata integration, tokens for HP and status effects, and some other niceties that aren't in the original version.

Thanks. Ordered just the base set and it stated it was the EE so should be good. Appreciate the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Cities fixes Science in 7 Wonders. Our highest score ever had zero green cards.

• Locked thread