Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Ragequit posted:

The text boxes are awful. I didn't rename any characters, but the te
xt still looks like this and it drives me crazy. It never pushes the wh
ole word but cuts it in half all the time.

IIRC that's caused by letting the screen shut off while the game is running. If you exit the application and restart it, it should fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Re: FF XV rumors. It would seem to me that the primary "influence" Sony would have stepping into the dev process like 18 months ago or whatever would have been to guide SE in creating the engine, since they have obviously dropped the proprietary processor bullshit with PS4. Sony also did that with Guerilla and at least a few others. This seems to fit logically, even if this rumor is from some random rear end site. It at least makes sense.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dross posted:

IIRC that's caused by letting the screen shut off while the game is running. If you exit the application and restart it, it should fix it.

I do pick it up and put it down often, so that could be it. Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye out for that pattern.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

pretend to care posted:

Re: FF XV rumors. It would seem to me that the primary "influence" Sony would have stepping into the dev process like 18 months ago or whatever would have been to guide SE in creating the engine, since they have obviously dropped the proprietary processor bullshit with PS4. Sony also did that with Guerilla and at least a few others. This seems to fit logically, even if this rumor is from some random rear end site. It at least makes sense.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony's helping them out, since they're even working with smaller companies like Ovosonico, former developers on Shadows of the Damned. If Sony is helping to fund the game, they'd be able to ensure that the game remains exclusive, unlike what happened with Final Fantasy XIII.

Hopefully when XIV 2.0 is out the door, then SE's other projects can finally resume at full speed. We've finally got new information about X HD, which was one of the projects that was likely held up by the MMO's redevelopment, so Versus is probably back on track.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

TurnipFritter posted:

The Final Fantasy V iOS/android remake is finally go. I know they teased it... a while back, but here we are.

God dammint, Squeenix, stop releasing things I want on devices I don't own! :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

God dammint, Squeenix, stop releasing things I want on devices I don't own! :negative:

It is honestly worth investing in a good smartphone. It isn't strictly necessary but it is dramatically useful both in personal and in professional life and pretty much any reasonable phone can run the lower-tier FF games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Looks like Squeenix is actually taking the time to make good-looking touchscreen UI's! And between this and the upgraded graphics for the Android port of FFT (godammit release in the U.S. already) it seems like they're actually putting more effort into their mobile division.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Direct feed screens. At least the message boxes are kinda nice, even if they didn't bother to try and match the character hair colors to the sprites.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Wow those character sprites are bad. Like worse than usual even by RPGmaker ripoff standards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, the divide between artwork Bartz and sprite Bartz has never been clearer.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The enemies look fine, why are the player sprites so loving horrible?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like that they're using Amano art for the message boxes.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TurnipFritter posted:

even if they didn't bother to try and match the character hair colors to the sprites.

There's always been a slight disconnect between them using Amano's designs and the sprites. I think Terra and Bartz (for the GBA) are some of the few where they did actually change the hair colour to match the sprite work.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Faris looks extremely girly.

Worst port ever. :colbert:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
The sprites look like FF: D's, which are just fine to me.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

voltron lion force posted:

Wow those character sprites are bad. Like worse than usual even by RPGmaker ripoff standards.

What is it that you think makes a good sprite?

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
To start, its those drat arms. They're hanging down like lanky limp noodles. In the old sprites everyone's putting up their arms like they're ready to do something.

edit: Also, they softened the "defining features" and silhouettes: you can barely make out one character from the next and they have no "punch". Galuf's beard is less prominent, Bartz's action-hero-hair is less prominent, Faris got a major haircut and both the girls' hair colors are softened. It's a clusterfuck of personality-removing decisions all around.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 20, 2013

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Those character sprites are terrible. Just horrible.

Wonder if this will be out in time for this year's FFV Fiesta.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dross posted:

Well not looking stiff and generic as all hell would be a start. Honestly its hard for me to quantify but look at them compared to say this image of the sprites from FF4 psp and tell me they don't look like poo poo.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Galuf's giant forehead honestly kind of makes him look like a moustachioed baby

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Dross posted:

I used to do amateur spritework back in the day, which means I am uniquely qualified to make objective statements about any and all sprites.

The environments look fine, great even. The monsters look good because they're artwork, not sprites in the same way the characters are.

The characters have poor shading; a lot of the gradients aren't harsh enough, leading to very flat-looking colors. The hair, also, is pillow-shaded, which is attention-grabbing for all of the wrong reasons.

Those are the two stand-out problems I see at a glance.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I really like the quality of the sprites in FF I, II and IV on the PSP, so I was hoping they'd use the same one for V.

Still, The After Years had its art improved when it was brought to the PSP, so they could do the same thing with this game. I'm not sure why they wouldn't use that art style to begin with, though.

Also, the Amano portraits were awesome in the GBA version, so it's great to see them back.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Man, the divide between artwork Bartz and sprite Bartz has never been clearer.

That's supposed to be Bartz? Are you serious? I thought this was Faris cause it almost looks like he has breasts, and the face is androgynous enough to pass for a woman pretending to be a man.

Well, that is assuming you didn't see the screenshot that did have Faris in it.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

voltron lion force posted:

Well not looking stiff and generic as all hell would be a start. Honestly its hard for me to quantify but look at them compared to say this image of the sprites from FF4 psp and tell me they don't look like poo poo.

This is much better then what FFV has going on but I can't get over ONE EYED CYCLOPS GIRLS.

That Yang is bitchin' though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Leal posted:

That's supposed to be Bartz? Are you serious? I thought this was Faris cause it almost looks like he has breasts, and the face is androgynous enough to pass for a woman pretending to be a man.

Blame Amano.

His designs for Bartz are among my least favourite of his stuff.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, those sprites are pretty awful. Everybody looks so flat and featureless, like they're Lego people or something (only with less detail). Everyone is also standing ramrod straight, like they're all at attention in the military.

Then again, I thought Dimensions' sprites looked terrible too, but people stopped complaining about it after the game came out, so who knows.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Krad posted:

Faris looks extremely girly.

Worst port ever. :colbert:

This is my only real gripe about what's been shown so far, yeah. You'd think they'd give Faris's sprite the same angry eyebrows Bartz and Galuf have.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really like Amano's artwork. I also really liked Ayami Kojima's Castlevania stuff, so?

There is this uniquely fantasy quality to it that makes them instantly recognizable and fills with me nostalgia. I really long for a game where his style is represented in-game as well as the artwork.

\/\/ That's true! Just remembered that.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 20, 2013

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Firstborn posted:

I really like Amano's artwork. I also really liked Ayami Kojima's Castlevania stuff, so?

There is this uniquely fantasy quality to it that makes them instantly recognizable and fills with me nostalgia. I really long for a game where his style is represented in-game as well as the artwork.

Many of Dissidia's alternate costumes for characters are straight takes on Amano's artwork.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Firstborn posted:

He was doing a CGI film or something that style to tie in with a comic/ novel he's written/illustrated. It's apparently still in development, and may end up as a TV series.

Deva Zan - It looks loving amazing.

And an interview discussing his work.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well

ImpAtom posted:

It is honestly worth investing in a good smartphone. It isn't strictly necessary but it is dramatically useful both in personal and in professional life and pretty much any reasonable phone can run the lower-tier FF games.

Perhaps he does, yet he is on a Windows mobile device? Though I do agree with you in general.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pretend to care posted:

Perhaps he does, yet he is on a Windows mobile device? Though I do agree with you in general.

Fair point. I keep forgetting those exist. :smith:

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
Looks like what finally causes me to break down and get a smart phone will be Yoshitaka Amano's amazing character artwork. Somehow I feel I should've known...

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
So, after playing Theatrhythm (Nostalgia trip. Go.) I get the feeling that Squenix is way past due another game like FFIX.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Proto Cloud posted:

So, after playing Theatrhythm (Nostalgia trip. Go.) I get the feeling that Squenix is way past due another game like FFIX.

Something that takes the series back to it's roots or do you mean something that tells it's story simply and effectively?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If they gave me FF9 HD for the vita with updated models (I dunno, PS2-era) I would actually buy a vita like tomorrow.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Proto Cloud posted:

I could definitely use another actual fantastical Final Fantasy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Actually in FFT if you forego using the special characters, or at least Orlandu, and don't go out of your way to grind a shitload the enemy regularly starts having higher stats and more units than you as early as Chapter 2.

Their skill selection sucks and their AI is pretty simple though.

Plus it doesn't matter if you're facing a dozen goblins when you have mages with mathskill and high faith. :catholic:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The most recent Fire Emblem on 3DS is the only one I've played and it's awesome, but it does seem to suffer from the same problem FFT has of Big Number > Tactics. Like at this point my main character can literally walk into the highest level guys, end his turn, then kill everything on the enemy turn, ending at max health.

From what I've heard apparently this is only a problem in this one because they actually let you grind where the old ones didn't. The harder difficulties take it to the opposite end where all of your units die in one hit for 90% of the game which just seems unfun.

Maybe FFT just needed variable difficulties? There are lots of fanpatches that try to change the balance.

Yesssssss
But it's just cleaned up sprites slapped into the Dimensions engine? Thought they were gonna go all out like FF3 and FF4. Oh well I'll buy it anyway because FF5 on my phone

Looks like FFD sprites as well. That combat picture looks like Sol and not Butz at the top of the characters and while those character sprites look but at least it's FFV(using FFD's engine) and not FFV:TAY.

Wish I'd managed to grab the GBA emulator that was briefly up on the iOS store yesterday. :sigh:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The whole game appears to be done in the style of Dimensions, and one thing that's noteworthy about Dimensions is that those sprites look a lot better on a high DPI screen. They're not great, but they also don't seem as cheap for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Not really an issue of quality, I just don't like the style whatsoever

But no big deal, mobile ff5 sounds awesome to me!