Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I trust goon recommendations more than itunes ratings, can anyone help me out? I'm after a turn based RPG and/or roguelike that'll last me a while, randomisation and permadeath are a plus.

For context, lately I've been playing Dungeon Plunder and Knights of Pen and Paper, although I burnt out on the latter pretty quickly.

I like simple combat, or games with gimmicks, like Dungeon Plunder's slot machine combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
If you like slot machine combat, I can highly recommend King Cashing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Funkz posted:

slot machine combat

Three words that never would have been used in the same sentence prior to the creation of the internet!

Truly we live in magical times.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

schwenz posted:

I'm looking for kid-friendly games.
I just bought two ipods for my kids (one boy, one girl, they're both 6 years old)

I'm not really looking for educational poo poo, just fun games they can play that are age appropriate.

No guns, No blood.

anybody got a good list of fun games for 6 year olds?

Can I recommend my game for young kids? Petting Zoo.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/petting-zoo-by-christoph-niemann/id602773895

It's more interactive picture book than a game you can win or lose. No goals except to explore the animations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Aren't most of those going to be way too hard for six year olds or am I underestimating kids these days? Cut The Rope is pretty complicated, as is Bad Piggies. Plants vs Zombies is too but starts out simple I guess. World of Goo I don't think I even beat the first few levels when I tried it last year :v:

E: Doodle jump, Zombie Tsunami

Kids are good at games, I caught my nephew playing some Zoo managing game in Russian today without a problem. If a 5 year old can handle that they definitely can launch some birds at some pigs.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Kids are pretty amazing at this sort of thing: http://www.dvice.com/archives/2012/10/ethiopian-kids.php

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Tigsaw posted:

I trust goon recommendations more than itunes ratings, can anyone help me out? I'm after a turn based RPG and/or roguelike that'll last me a while, randomisation and permadeath are a plus.

For context, lately I've been playing Dungeon Plunder and Knights of Pen and Paper, although I burnt out on the latter pretty quickly.

I like simple combat, or games with gimmicks, like Dungeon Plunder's slot machine combat.

Dungeon Raid if you haven't played it yet. Still the best.

Hobbes24
Oct 26, 2004

This story is amazing.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

He-Man: The Most Powerful Game in the Universe just went free, get this fun nostalgia ride.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Tigsaw posted:

In regards to Dungeon Plunder, it recently received a pretty cool updating balancing things and some ease of life changes. The path makes progression a little bit easier (you start at a higher level now following subsequent runs much easier) and making monsters more unique.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

schwenz posted:

I'm looking for kid-friendly games.
I just bought two ipods for my kids (one boy, one girl, they're both 6 years old)

I'm not really looking for educational poo poo, just fun games they can play that are age appropriate.

No guns, No blood.

anybody got a good list of fun games for 6 year olds?

We got our daughter an iPod for her 8th birthday. She's currently playing Angry Birds, PvZ, The Sims 3, Monsters Inc Run, Mega Run, OvenBreak 2, PuzzleCraft, Guardian Cross, Tiny Tower and Sonic Jump. She's also really into those goofy food making pseudo-games like Icee Maker, Fair Food, Candy Maker and Desert Maker. Hell if I know why, they look incredibly dull.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Pladdicus posted:

In regards to Dungeon Plunder, it recently received a pretty cool updating balancing things and some ease of life changes. The path makes progression a little bit easier (you start at a higher level now following subsequent runs much easier) and making monsters more unique.

It got me back into it. I had been stalled out around level 6 for a while. It only took one breakthrough and now I'm off to the races. Getting into the intermediate runes helped too.

That game has no business being as fun as it is. I fear that we might be approaching the point where slot machine combat games are becoming a genre, and maybe it's the compulsive gambler in me but I am on fuckin' board.

Also kids playing video games with their parents is never not adorable. I remember playing Tetris against my mom on the original Game Boy-- I was really proud the first time I beat her. (And I'm like 95% sure she didn't go easy on me. ... I think all moms are secretly really good at Tetris. Whenever I bring this up everyone's like "yeah, my mom was a Tetris pro.")

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I'm college-educated and I suck at Bad Piggies. :saddowns:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Teddybear posted:

It got me back into it. I had been stalled out around level 6 for a while. It only took one breakthrough and now I'm off to the races. Getting into the intermediate runes helped too.

That game has no business being as fun as it is. I fear that we might be approaching the point where slot machine combat games are becoming a genre, and maybe it's the compulsive gambler in me but I am on fuckin' board.

Also kids playing video games with their parents is never not adorable. I remember playing Tetris against my mom on the original Game Boy-- I was really proud the first time I beat her. (And I'm like 95% sure she didn't go easy on me. ... I think all moms are secretly really good at Tetris. Whenever I bring this up everyone's like "yeah, my mom was a Tetris pro.")

Seems more like a video poker based combat due to the holding and such, adds a very shallow layer of strategy between the three classes (espcially when you have abilities that tie into the 'reels') that makes the game less boring and often less frustrating than a straight up slot system (KINGS CASHING :argh:)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
New article/ interview on Star Command. Pretty revealing actually

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/20/4127328/star-command-kickstarter-release

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That makes the game sound incredibly dull. Not surprised, really.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Kenny Logins posted:

On a side note I finished LostStar Tactics the other day on Easy with my summoner captain. It is a pretty short game with only like 6 main story combat areas and about as many side-areas. It was still a good time, even if the difficulty curve really spikes in the middle.

I'd say summoners are pretty playable but I never really picked up any summons that could do ranged damage, it's mostly melee with some long-distance special. The agent is really pretty good but you get it quite late. With summoner captains the wielders are still pretty useful but the hulk and sargeant are totally not. The incinerator is a good unit but very tough to line up properly, I preferred the medic who has a similar line-attack but it can be used while sprinting and reduces armor as a bonus.

Overall, a good game that really had me hooked while it lasted.

Consider getting the expansion and replaying on normal at least to get more of a challenge/lots and lots of extra content out of it. You get starters with agent/laser guy and the more challenging expansion battles are a lot of fun, took me forever to beat some of the missions the 2nd time around when they're harder despite having pretty much a perfect setup. Incinerator is just too AP expensive and limited in movement to be worthwhile imo.

Also the Quest is pretty cool.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Urdnot Fire posted:

He-Man: The Most Powerful Game in the Universe just went free, get this fun nostalgia ride.

Holy crap this is so drat fun. Sitting on the couch playing it with my daughter and I actually feel kind of bad getting it for free. Would have easily been worth a buck or two. I never purchase IAPs that aren't things like Ascension expansions but I think I'll buy the gem doubler or something just to give them a couple bucks.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
So maybe I play on the iPad/iPhone for about an hour a day, sometimes more. I do like WhatMovie? lately ... they need to fix their keywords though (can't find it easily).

Yesterday looking at the logs, I saw one player who was in our word search game for over 11 hours. New record. Surprised me.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 20, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

VideoGameVet posted:

How many hours do you play a game on your iPhone/iPad?

This seems very much like market research.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
I play A GAME for very many hours each day.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

This seems very much like market research.

edited to take out the question. thanks.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

VideoGameVet posted:

So maybe I play on the iPad/iPhone for about an hour a day, sometimes more. I do like WhatMovie? lately ... they need to fix their keywords though (can't find it easily).

Yesterday looking at the logs, I saw one player who was in our word search game for over 11 hours. New record. Surprised me.
And what's the deal with airplane food, anyways? I mean is it an airplane, or is it food.

(I have no idea what you're getting at here)

EDIT: Ah, pre-edit made more sense... I think the longest play session I ever had was with The Blockheads, but even that never went over 2-4 hours.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 21, 2013

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Looks like a dude trying to talk about iOS games getting poo poo on because at one point he tried too hard to promote a game that wasn't fun or indie enough.

I tend to play in pretty long sessions between dinner and bed but switch between multiple games. Take my turns in HOMM COH (fun despite the glitchy as gently caress multiplayer), play a game of Ascension, Ridiculous Fishing on my phone while I'm waiting for the other guy, etc.

I couldn't imagine playing a casual iPad game for 11 hours straight.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

ZerodotJander posted:

Looks like a dude trying to talk about iOS games getting poo poo on because at one point he tried too hard to promote a game that wasn't fun or indie enough.
He's always in here promoting lovely games and attempting to do market research.

Match 3D - a terrible bejeweled clone in 3D. That horrible financial crisis game, and others that I can't remember. So now whenever I see a post by "VideoGameVetCEO Phd" I cringe.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

theblackw0lf posted:

Complaints about lack of customization is a big red flag, since that's normally one of the biggest appeals for those sorts of games. Them "working on it" isn't exactly thrilling either, since that sounds ominously like releasing giving in to pressures of the already way-too-long dev cycle and releasing an incomplete game.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
For anyone so interested, Lunar (as in, the RPG) 1.2 is out, with English subtitles plus a few UI touchups and bugfixes here and there.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

For anyone so interested, Lunar (as in, the RPG) 1.2 is out, with English subtitles plus a few UI touchups and bugfixes here and there.

I forgot to post this, uh, one the part where they leave town for their REAL ADVENTURE towards the beginning the game keeps freezing, did anyone else experience this? Or just me

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

Sorry people are such dicks to you. It costs nothing to be civil.
I have loads of games purchased on sale, but the only one I play is Letter Press for a few minutes each day.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
gently caress the haters, Vet.

I've been only playing Akinator. If you don't know what this is, oh boy.

...and just so I'm not that guy that forces you to then Google it yourself, you think of a fictitious or real character and this app will loving guess it. I can't stump the drat thing.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Y'all haven't been around long enough to know CEOMobileVet's posting history. He treats us like a focus group of mindless consumers.

Reckless Getaway went free. It's a decent little sort of endless runner type. gently caress the police

http://appshopper.com/games/reckless-getaway

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I've been only playing Akinator. If you don't know what this is, oh boy.

...and just so I'm not that guy that forces you to then Google it yourself, you think of a fictitious or real character and this app will loving guess it. I can't stump the drat thing.

I can stump it pretty easily by picking obscure characters from unknown books, but anything from the mainstream is a sure pick for that genie bastard.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 21, 2013

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

theblackw0lf posted:

Heh that's kind of weird.

Free videogame design tip: The very, very last thing you should work on, after your game is in development for 2 years and 99% done, is actually making sure the game is interesting and fun.

Whether they sell the 200k-300k copies they're hoping for is probably going to hinge on if the very first reviews for it derail their 2 year hype train or not. Will be interesting to see.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah the whole mechanic of "matching colored coins" to fire weapons and stuff is all kinds of :psyduck: and not fun sounding. Meh.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bummey posted:

I can stump it pretty easily by picking obscure characters from unknown books, but anything from the mainstream is a sure pick for that genie bastard.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Pladdicus posted:

I forgot to post this, uh, one the part where they leave town for their REAL ADVENTURE towards the beginning the game keeps freezing, did anyone else experience this? Or just me
We've gotten a few bug reports since the app was released, but that was not one of them. If you're still having it in the latest version, feel free to PM me -- or alternatively email info(at)somoga.com if you don't have or want to PM -- and we'll try and see if we can figure out what's going on.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
A local Phoenix AZ developer released this today:

http://indianastonegame.com/

It's an endless runner where you play as the boulder chasing the Indiana Jones-like guy, attempting to reduce his lives to 0. I haven't had a chance to buy the full thing yet but the creator's a real nice guy and what I played when he demoed it to other devs was really fun.

EDIT: Here's the trailer by itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tZ6iHvxO1s

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bummey posted:

Japanese ww2 war criminals and 19th century German politicans who aren't Bismark are pretty easy ways to stump it as well. But yeah, once you get anywhere that's not a completely obscure niche it will nail you.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Superrodan posted:

It's an endless runner where you play as the boulder chasing the Indiana Jones-like guy, attempting to reduce his lives to 0. I haven't had a chance to buy the full thing yet but the creator's a real nice guy and what I played when he demoed it to other devs was really fun.

I loving lost it at "Rolling start". Gonna give this a download.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Superrodan posted:

Hoo boy I cannot tell you how much this gamer is getting sick of that Lego-minecraft-3D Dot Heroes 3D pixel aesthetic. It's boring. And played out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
The game is really fun, though.

• Locked thread