Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The current levels are used to determine the order they will be fused in for determining arcana, the highest being used last. As for the determining the level, add the base levels of the personas used, divide by three, add five, then round up.

At least, that's what this gamefaqs guide says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I wanted to max the s-links without a guide, but was not being all OCD about it. I'm doing pretty well. I'm at the (end of october spoiler) bathhouse scene, and Adachi's s-link is only at level 3. For the longest time he wasn't around during the days at Junes even though his s-link at the time was a daytime s-link, and I always did the dungeon runs on the first rainy day after the dungeons became available. It was just lovely luck. So yeah I read that he becomes unavailable on November 1, forever? Is that true? that sucks.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Oh god. Out of nostalgia I've tried replaying the Playstation Final Fantasy games when PSN had a sale a few weeks back and it's like pulling teeth. Jumping into Persona 4 having not played it before is like high-fiving a hand made entirely out of breasts.

This is fantastic.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well got the game Sunday beat it tonight and started a NG+. Was a great game and can't wait to play it again. Hopefully fix some of the things I messed up on.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I finished the game without being OCD about S.Links and I got everything maxed except Temperance, which was at level 8. Next time... :unsmigghh:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Spoilers for end game contained. So I got the true ending and read Adachi's letter but I didn't see anything pop up to say I had maxed the social link. I had it at level 6 before Nanako got kidnapped. Am I missing something? My NG+ doesn't have an item for it either.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

cheesetriangles posted:

Spoilers for end game contained. So I got the true ending and read Adachi's letter but I didn't see anything pop up to say I had maxed the social link. I had it at level 6 before Nanako got kidnapped. Am I missing something? My NG+ doesn't have an item for it either.

If was Jester 6 before, yes you're missing something. You needed to have met with him alone when the game prompted you in December and it will change arcana. Then going through and completing the dungeon will have gotten it up to 9. Then it maxes with the letter in March, with an extra bit of writing not in the vanilla game.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Oh god damnit. Did all that work for nothing.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

cheesetriangles posted:

You missed your chance to level up further.

Without spoilers. In December, the game will ask if you want to go visit him in the middle of the story. You must have skipped it.

e: fb

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

redreader posted:

I wanted to max the s-links without a guide, but was not being all OCD about it. I'm doing pretty well. I'm at the (end of october spoiler) bathhouse scene, and Adachi's s-link is only at level 3. For the longest time he wasn't around during the days at Junes even though his s-link at the time was a daytime s-link, and I always did the dungeon runs on the first rainy day after the dungeons became available. It was just lovely luck. So yeah I read that he becomes unavailable on November 1, forever? Is that true? that sucks.
This partly the reason why it's best scheduling-wise to complete the dungeons on the first day they are unlocked, rather than the first rainy day.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Nate RFB posted:

This partly the reason why it's best scheduling-wise to complete the dungeons on the first day they are unlocked, rather than the first rainy day.

I am not sure this is 100% correct if you are going for completing all S-links. Certain things could work better if you check out some of the guides on say gamefaqs.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

cheesetriangles posted:

Well got the game Sunday beat it tonight and started a NG+. Was a great game and can't wait to play it again. Hopefully fix some of the things I messed up on.

I did a similar thing, then paused, and started playing P3P instead. Going to come back to NG+ for P4G after that's finished (and then switch to P3P FMC NG+). Crazy amount of gameplay between these two games.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

oblomov posted:

I am not sure this is 100% correct if you are going for completing all S-links. Certain things could work better if you check out some of the guides on say gamefaqs.
I'm not sure how much the guide would differ, but the problem arises from the "collect information" phase of unlocking dungeons. You can't work on Party S. Links during that period, to say nothing of Jester and Hierophant. Since Party S. Links are the most important gameplay-wise, and kind of hard to finish towards the endgame, it's in your best interest to get the dungeons out of the way ASAP. Rainy days can instead be spent doing a number of things (beef bowls, biking, fishing, etc.).

This of course doesn't apply to the April and December dungeons, which should be completed as late as possible (or the first rainy day in April's case).

I skipped basically all bike dates but I was able to max every link on my first playthrough this way. Not that you should necessarily try for that, though! It just sort of happened in my case.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Give me a fusion accident already :cry:

It's the last trophy I need :negative:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Revitalized posted:

Yeah, they hosed with the rate of fusion accidents from the original. I've had one over the last 2 runs (although that one actually ended up helping me out).

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Revitalized posted:

Heh, my very first persona fusion in Golden resulted in a fusion accident. :D It's been the only one so far though.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Are they that rare? I got two fusion accidents on the same day a while back, so I figured they were just kind of uncommon.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The chance of getting a fusion accident is directly proportional to how much you seriously need this fusion to work.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Terper posted:

The chance of getting a fusion accident is directly proportional to how much you seriously need this fusion to work.

This has to be true because I got at least 3 while trying to go through Margaret's S-link

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Terper posted:

Well poo poo, I went through 100% Compendium and now I just need an accident to work :negative:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
On my first NG+ I got two fusion accidents in a row on the first fusion of the game. The next attempt was successful, then I had another accident. That drained a good chunk of the money I had carried over :v:

I managed to finish the rest of the compendium, ~60%, with only one more accident. I wonder if you can have a fusion accident on Izanagi-no-Okami...

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Quantum Toast posted:

Are they that rare? I got two fusion accidents on the same day a while back, so I figured they were just kind of uncommon.

Speaking of rareness, how rare are Death's appearances in chests? I hadn't seen him once through several dungeons, and then I ran into him twice on the same floor, in two chests around the corner from one another. After that, I didn't see him for the rest of the game.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

smenj posted:

Speaking of rareness, how rare are Death's appearances in chests? I hadn't seen him once through several dungeons, and then I ran into him twice on the same floor, in two chests around the corner from one another. After that, I didn't see him for the rest of the game.

Were you in Magatsu Inaba or Mandala? He has a much higher chance of turning up there.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
WHY THE gently caress DID MY FUSION GO WRONG AND PRODUCE A DICK MONSTER

How did this get into the game?

Why is there a giant dick chariot in my compendium now?

WHAT THE gently caress?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Lethemonster posted:

WHAT THE gently caress?

I'm both amazed by how you hadn't heard of Mara and glad that another person has been introduced to her glory.

Mara owns. :allears:

Edit: Just for the record, Mara is available through normal fusion, it's not some "oh your fusion hosed up here's this special PENIS." kind of situation. She's of the Tower Arcana. :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That's just what happens when you think impure thoughts during Fusion.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

OK, so, I am in dire need of some help here. Shadow Rise, according to my googling, is supposed to be one of the game's relatively easy fights since she's just a warm up for Shadow Teddie. However, I'm finding her to be horribly, ridiculously overpowered, due to her total lack of weaknesses. The most effective strategy I've found is to use Chie's Revolution and rush her, but the critical rate is still bad, and it takes considerable luck for me to even get her to the first bit of dialogue. The problem is just that while she has no weaknesses, I do, and when she's using hit-every-character elemental magic most of the time, she WILL get a weakness, and often ends up landing 3 or even 4 turns in a row while I'm totally unable to do the same. My current lack of revival beads doesn't help (Yukiko does have Recarm, though). How the hell do I fight an powerful boss with no weaknesses in a game where the combat is all about exploiting weaknesses?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Try fusing up a Persona with no elemental weaknesses. You also may want to fuse up a healing Persona so you can back Yukiko up, especially something with Recarm so you can revive her if she dies. Of course, if worse comes to worse, you can always drop out of the dungeon and grab some Revival Beads, assuming you're not on the last day (and even if you are, it might be a good idea to go ahead and get the game over, it'll move you back a week) Accessories that grant Dodge <Element> skills are useful for protecting your weaknesses as well, if you've got any, and make sure to cast (Ma)sukukaja and/or Sukunda.

Physical attacks are a good strategy. Use Chie's Revolution and go with hard-hitting physicals with her and the MC (multi-hit ones are the best, since you get that many extra chances to crit), but stick with magic with Yukiko. If you've been leveling Kanji up, you might consider using him instead of Yosuke, so you can smash her with more powerful physical hits. Having both Kanji and Chie is kind of redundant, but it shouldn't matter too much.

You don't have to drain her to 0 HP, by the way. After awhile plot will take over, I think it's something like half her heath, but I'm not sure.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Try fusing up a Persona with no elemental weaknesses. You also may want to fuse up a healing Persona so you can back Yukiko up, especially something with Recarm so you can revive her if she dies. Of course, if worse comes to worse, you can always drop out of the dungeon and grab some Revival Beads, assuming you're not on the last day (and even if you are, it might be a good idea to go ahead and get the game over, it'll move you back a week) Accessories that grant Dodge <Element> skills are useful for protecting your weaknesses as well, if you've got any, and make sure to cast (Ma)sukukaja and/or Sukunda.

Physical attacks are a good strategy. Use Chie's Revolution and go with hard-hitting physicals with her and the MC (multi-hit ones are the best, since you get that many extra chances to crit), but stick with magic with Yukiko. If you've been leveling Kanji up, you might consider using him instead of Yosuke, so you can smash her with more powerful physical hits. Having both Kanji and Chie is kind of redundant, but it shouldn't matter too much.

You don't have to drain her to 0 HP, by the way. After awhile plot will take over, I think it's something like half her heath, but I'm not sure.

Thanks. I don't know how much the Persona with the lack of weaknesses will do, though - my main problem is that she usually lands one of the others' weaknesses and gets a free turn off of that. I'm constantly getting Chie being hit by Maragi or Maragion, or Yukiko hit by Mabufu, and then she uses Bufula on Yukiko, and then uses another Ma- ability, and by that point I'm basically dead without being able to do anything at all - even stuff like Maragi when used on characters with no fire weakness still seems to nuke 50% of their health. I don't know why the hell I'm taking so much damage, my levels are around 30-32.

I'll look at what accessories I have, and switch over to Kanji, but it just seems like such an unfair fight. She gets to constantly hit every character at once for huge damage and get new turns even if she only exploits a single weakness, but when I try to respond in kind the game is just like "Nope". I'll keep up the Revolution and do what I can.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

Thanks. I don't know how much the Persona with the lack of weaknesses will do, though - my main problem is that she usually lands one of the others' weaknesses and gets a free turn off of that. I'm constantly getting Chie being hit by Maragi or Maragion, or Yukiko hit by Mabufu, and then she uses Bufula on Yukiko, and then uses another Ma- ability, and by that point I'm basically dead without being able to do anything at all - even stuff like Maragi when used on characters with no fire weakness still seems to nuke 50% of their health. I don't know why the hell I'm taking so much damage, my levels are around 30-32.

I'll look at what accessories I have, and switch over to Kanji, but it just seems like such an unfair fight. She gets to constantly hit every character at once for huge damage and get new turns even if she only exploits a single weakness, but when I try to respond in kind the game is just like "Nope". I'll keep up the Revolution and do what I can.

I'd put items that boost evade on all of your party members, if you can.

Otherwise, it might work to just fuse a Persona with no weakness, and have your other party members guard every turn. If they're guarding, weaknesses are nulled.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

I'd put items that boost evade on all of your party members, if you can.

Otherwise, it might work to just fuse a Persona with no weakness, and have your other party members guard every turn. If they're guarding, weaknesses are nulled.

Ok, didn't know about guarding nullifying weaknesses. That did it. Thanks. Now for Shadow Teddie, I suppose. This is going to suck, isn't it?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

Ok, didn't know about guarding nullifying weaknesses. That did it. Thanks. Now for Shadow Teddie, I suppose. This is going to suck, isn't it?

He's not too tough, just a gigantic slog. The good thing about him is that he doesn't have any tricks up his sleeve like Shadow Rise, just wail on him while keeping your HP and defenses up. Running out of MP is the real danger, I find.

He also has a super powerful gimmick move that Rise warns you about, and is nullified completely if you guard. So that's fairly easy to deal with.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

He's not too tough, just a gigantic slog. The good thing about him is that he doesn't have any tricks up his sleeve like Shadow Rise, just wail on him while keeping your HP and defenses up. Running out of MP is the real danger, I find.

He also has a super powerful gimmick move that Rise warns you about, and is nullified completely if you guard. So that's fairly easy to deal with.

Sorry, but he just completely wiped me out. He hit everyone so loving hard with one attack that Yukiko went from 100% health to dead immediately. Now I have to beat Shadow Rise all over again, and I'll have to beat her all over again every time Shadow Teddie kills me. gently caress you, Atlus. It's this kind of poo poo that makes people want to just stop playing a game. I just wish there was a Regen-like spell - I keep ending up spending every turn healing and this unable to progress, because of the huge damage dealt to everyone.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
In regards to strategies for bosses in P4G:

I really found Physical based Personas were way more useful in P4G than in P4 originally. Kanji became one of my most valuable characters by end game by doing way more damage to most enemies/bosses.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Yoshitsune is all you need. :colbert:

Lethemonster posted:

WHAT THE gently caress?

I love this post.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

BreakAtmo posted:

Sorry, but he just completely wiped me out. He hit everyone so loving hard with one attack that Yukiko went from 100% health to dead immediately. Now I have to beat Shadow Rise all over again, and I'll have to beat her all over again every time Shadow Teddie kills me. gently caress you, Atlus. It's this kind of poo poo that makes people want to just stop playing a game. I just wish there was a Regen-like spell - I keep ending up spending every turn healing and this unable to progress, because of the huge damage dealt to everyone.

It sounds like you and your personas are underleveled. What's your level spread and your persona lineup?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

BreakAtmo posted:

Guarding is your best friend. Memorize the way he attacks.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ok, I beat Shadow Teddie. I see the point that he's more of a HP wall than actually 'tough'. Still, I did end up having to do some leveling - the key to victory ended up being a Ganga that I got to learn Mediarama. That combined with the Ganga's ice absorption was about 80% of how I won. And yes, constant smart guarding whenever he did a charge was very much my friend. Thanks for the help in showing up that rear end in a top hat nihilist.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Really Pants posted:

That's just what happens when you think impure thoughts during Fusion.

If only it was that easy :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

drat, man, you didn't even have any mid-tier heals at Shadow Teddie? You were definitely underleveled.

• Locked thread