Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I thought that I was going mad there for a second, but today on Steam Worms: Armageddon came out as a totally stand-alone title. I think that it is a little overpriced at $14.99, personally, but I feel that it is hands-down the best Worms game ever, so I am happy to see it. I hope that GOG gets it soon, but it is probably a Steam-exclusive deal of some sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Does anyone know how to run King of Dragon Pass in a window larger than 640x480? I've added the -w parameter to my shortcut and disabled forcing 640x480, so I've got it actually running in the weird mTropolis windows, but that's as far as I get.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I don't think this changes anything, really. The closure of the in-house development studio doesn't tell us anything about what Disney intends to do with the rights to LA's properties.

Lucasarts closing really isn't surprising. That whole studio has been an absolute void of quality since Republic Commando. It's the definition of squandered potential and I'm not sad to see them go.

Not sure what will happen with the IPs under Disney, because they've been pretty aggressively closing any internal video game development going on there as of late. Other companies are still making Marvel games, though, so it might end up being the best solution if it's just a 3rd party licensing deal.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

JustJeff88 posted:

I thought that I was going mad there for a second, but today on Steam Worms: Armageddon came out as a totally stand-alone title. I think that it is a little overpriced at $14.99, personally, but I feel that it is hands-down the best Worms game ever, so I am happy to see it. I hope that GOG gets it soon, but it is probably a Steam-exclusive deal of some sort.
I just wish the Monkey Island HD games weren't Steam-only.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Looks like I missed Omikron chat, but are there any graphics mods or texture packs or anything? Everything looks so muddy.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Zero Star posted:

I just wish the Monkey Island HD games weren't Steam-only.

The work great on my iPad and my Xbox 360. :getin:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Syndicate Wars is out for $6, and Indie Low-Res Pixelart RPG # 46925 for $7.49.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Was Syndicate Wars any good? I think my computer was under spec at the time so I missed it completely, but the original was a blast

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

God drat, they are hitting all sorts of titles that I've been wanting lately.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
Anybody got an opinion on Clive Barkers Undying (by Clive Barker)? looks interesting. Written by Clive Barker I think!

JohnnyBigPotatoes fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 21, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

dud root posted:

Was Syndicate Wars any good? I think my computer was under spec at the time so I missed it completely, but the original was a blast

Syndicate Wars is greeeaaat. I'll admit I never played the original as much as Wars, so I can't compare them, but it's one of the best "gently caress around" games ever made. The weapons are fantastic and you can basically do whatever you want, including leveling every building on the map. The Persuadertron allowed you to take over a whole level and field a literal army of civilians.

It also has the distinction of having nearly the exact same plot as The Matrix years before that movie came out. You're playing as the agents, cancelling people who've been "awakened" and fighting against the resistance, who are basically insane zealots. I seem to remember that there's a campaign for both Eurocorp and Church of the New Epoch, too.

And as a bonus, it really captures that dirty 90s cyberpunk aesthetic incredibly well. You can tell they were heavily inspired by Ghost in the Shell; it even has trailers for the film running on screens in-game along with some weird Judge Dredd thing.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 21, 2013

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I have fond childhood memories of the Syndicate Wars demo, where I'd spend the whole time planting bombs to level buildings on a computer that was so slow, it had trouble rendering the explosion. Hearing that building collapse sound on a loop while my frame rate dropped into single digits couldn't get me down, because DUDE I JUST TOTALLY BLEW UP A BUILDING.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Hakkesshu posted:

Syndicate Wars is greeeaaat. I'll admit I never played the original as much as Wars, so I can't compare them, but it's one of the best "gently caress around" games ever made. The weapons are fantastic and you can basically do whatever you want, including leveling every building on the map. The Persuadertron allowed you to take over a whole level and field a literal army of civilians.

I still play the audio tracks from this every once in a while. Something about those just fits so many other things very well.

edit: drat, and they're not including the soundtrack as a separate download for this one. :(

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bart Fargo posted:

I still play the audio tracks from this every once in a while. Something about those just fits so many other things very well.

edit: drat, and they're not including the soundtrack as a separate download for this one. :(

I checked, the game only has three tracks and they're in the install directory as .ogg files.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

Anybody got an opinion on Clive Barkers Undying (by Clive Barker)? looks interesting. Written by Clive Barker I think!

I enjoyed it quite a bit many years ago. I think I remember the earlier levels being the best part. The game starts off as a good paranormal horror shooter, but it felt much less scary as I got deeper into the game and acquired more ways to kill things.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

First act is amazing then it turns into a decent shooter with unique weapons. It didn't age as well as System Shock 2 but I still think it's a game everyone interested in horror should try.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Before I clicked the link, I thought that was its actual name. I kind of wish it was.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
Man, System Shock 2, Clive Barker's Undying, Syndicate Wars...GOG is on a roll!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The Kins posted:

Syndicate Wars is out for $6, and

:gizz:

Right, the credit card. Where is my credit card

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I played the first dungeon of Anodyne when they were giving the game away for free a few weeks ago. It's a literal Zelda clone with ominous music and a weird "story" for the sake of being weird. It's not bad but after the first dungeon I didn't get a unique item (a staple of Zelda games) and decided it wasn't worth my time. For a dollar less you can get a better game... like Syndicate Wars!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I hope that Syndicate Wars source-port updates. I remember it being pretty good, but it throwing a poo poo-fit if you tried to run it on anything other than an original CD copy of the game, because the creator was rabidly anti-piracy.

Also, don't write off Anodyne. It starts a bit slow, but it's a surprisingly huge and clever game.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

gently caress

Yes.

:flame:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=190#post413579169

dahlis
Oct 26, 2005

Demolitions Expert
I just remembered that at the time, the sound effects and design was mind-blowin'ly terrific in Undying. Don't know how well that holds up now, haven't played it since I bought it like 12 years ago.
BTW, can anyone recommend me other similar games? Horror FPS-games, that is. Amnesia is just too intense for me, need something with a little more cozy atmosphere. Wasn't there a game called something with "haunted house" or "haunted mansion"?

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Hakkesshu posted:

I checked, the game only has three tracks and they're in the install directory as .ogg files.

Oh okay. On the original CD they're redbook audio tracks that were playable in any CD player. There were only three of those too, but they're all about 20 minutes long.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

VisAbsoluta posted:

gently caress

Yes.

:flame:

One of the few old games I still haven't managed to get running properly on any computer is finally here. Time to wait patiently for payday I guess.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

dahlis posted:

I just remembered that at the time, the sound effects and design was mind-blowin'ly terrific in Undying. Don't know how well that holds up now, haven't played it since I bought it like 12 years ago.
BTW, can anyone recommend me other similar games? Horror FPS-games, that is. Amnesia is just too intense for me, need something with a little more cozy atmosphere. Wasn't there a game called something with "haunted house" or "haunted mansion"?

Unfortunately there aren't many options. Most "horror shooters" lean more towards the shooting side than horror like FEAR.

Realms of the Haunting is a point-and-click adventure/fps hybrid and it's up on GOG. If you want to get super obscure there's a PC game called Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi which gives you 90 minutes to explore a randomly generated castle to save your family. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth really does the mythos justice, at least until the final sections of the game where it runs into the same problems as Undying by throwing a ton of enemies in your face. White Day is a Korean PC game (there's an English translation) that's closer to Amnesia and will probably freak you out just as easily. Scratches is awesome and ranks next to Riven for awesome first person Myst-like games. If you want to get super weird, try to play Pathologic but you'll probably have a better experience watching an LP.

Tom Nook
Nov 14, 2005

Always crashing in the same car

Peas and Rice posted:

I emailed Brian Moriarty a few weeks ago about a Loom sequel and he basically said "can't be done because the rights are locked."

This changes EVERYTHING.

(Maybe. Probably not. OK, I can hope.)

Doubt it. Disney loves hoarding their franchises. As bad as Lucasarts was before the purchase, I don't see things being any better with Disney owning them.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi is also up on the latest Indie Gala bundle, good time to pick it up if you're interested. http://www.indiegala.com/

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

dahlis posted:

Vampire: Bloodlines and The Darkness 2 might be worth a look.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

treat posted:

Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi is also up on the latest Indie Gala bundle, good time to pick it up if you're interested. http://www.indiegala.com/

Holy crap, for real? I only vaguely remembered the game from an Extended Play (yeah, remember that?) review. I wonder how it holds up.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

al-azad posted:

Holy crap, for real? I only vaguely remembered the game from an Extended Play (yeah, remember that?) review. I wonder how it holds up.

I would also like to know this. Sounds like an FPS/Horror/Vaguely Roguelike mashup. How could it go wrong? Hundreds of ways.

It's also the only game in the IndieGala that's even vaguely interesting to me.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

al-azad posted:

... If you want to get super obscure there's a PC game called Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi which gives you 90 minutes to explore a randomly generated castle to save your family. ...

I love Nosferatu, and I was really surprised to see it pop up in the new IndieGala Bundle, DRM-free. The game's presentation is a bit janky, but it's absolutely worth checking out.

efb But seriously give it a try if you haven't!

Syncope
May 7, 2007
I guess GoG decided that they needed a ton of day one purchases. Syndicate Wars, Undying, System Shock 2...could we please expect No One Lives Forever next?

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

dud root posted:

It is a good game. Get a couple of Graviton Guns and Satellite Rain, go to town. I don't even think I finished the game cause I just spent all my time blowing up EVERYTHING.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Satellite rain? Pfh, the orbital kinetic rods are way too haphazard. Four nuclear grenades, on the other hand, even make a convincing mushroom cloud!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Syncope posted:

I guess GoG decided that they needed a ton of day one purchases. Syndicate Wars, Undying, System Shock 2...could we please expect No One Lives Forever next?

Be still thy beating heart.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Hakkesshu posted:

Syndicate Wars is greeeaaat. I'll admit I never played the original as much as Wars, so I can't compare them
In my opinion, Bullfrog improved on the original in nearly every respect when they made Syndicate Wars. Some of the highlights include:

- a proper (cyberpunk) storyline
- two distinct single player campaigns
- secondary objectives in missions
- fairly complex set-pieces/triggered events
- much bigger and more varied, imaginative, and graphically pleasing arsenal
- largely destructible/deformable terrain (cf. Magic Carpet)
- flying cars!

The only area in which Syndicate Wars might be said to be objectively inferior to Syndicate - though not by a whole lot - is in the complexity of its ammo and drug management. Aside from a handful of essentially single-use weapons, your ammunition is all energy-based, drawn from the same recharging energy pool that powers your agent's shields and cybernetic implants. No need for ammo conservation, then, just be sure not to deplete your immediate energy resources before/during a big fight. As for performance-enhancing drugs, there's only two left now, and I think you can't use both at the same time. That being said: I'm not sure if there was ever any reason in Syndicate to individually manage drug dosages, rather than going into panic mode whenever a firefight broke out, so arguably it's not a big deal.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Clive Barker's Undying: Sexy Irish Jesus vs Edward Gorey Ghost Family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

dahlis posted:

You could try the hobo murder simulator, Condemned: Criminal Origins, which owns. There's a sequel, too, but it isn't as good.